Erik Ainge

NoSaint

Guest three3

i love how he grouped cocaine and heroin with alcohol as the most destructive drugs. but of course, in backwards land alcohol is legal and mary jane is not. keep poisoning your bodies, alcoholics.

i love how he grouped cocaine and heroin with alcohol as the most destructive drugs. but of course, in backwards land alcohol is legal and mary jane is not. keep poisoning your bodies, alcoholics.

I don't think anyone has argued alcoholism is good. But it's a hell of a lot less addictive than the other two. When addicted it's very destructive, and much more readily available.

How ainge was alive yet alone a semi functional student athlete is amazing. It also speaks volumes to how little we know about these guys coming out (potentially)

If there is anything this article proves it is that pot is like totally cool. :huh: :huh: :huh:

And Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug like heroin, and cocaine and morphine are schedule 2. Stupid. And nicotine, one of the most STUPID of all drugs to take (yes, that means you smokers), isn't really even ranked.

Guest three3

If there is anything this article proves it is that pot is like totally cool. :huh: :huh: :huh:

it has never been and will never be about being cool. drown in a pool of vodka, troll.

Here's the most incredible part of this pathetic kid's declarative:

I had four recovery groups, but I can't afford them anymore because of the NFL lockout.

The lockout has caused a lot of problems for me.

The LOCKOUT has caused him a lot of problems!

F'ing ridiculous.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Did he become a drug addict because of the mental illness, or did he become mentally ill because of the drug abuse? Hmmm?? I don't buy into all that marijuana being a gateway drug bullcrap. It all depends on the individual. This dude was probably a train wreck in the making well before he took that first bong hit at age 12.

Few bong rippers and a few beers here and there never hurt anybody. It's all about self-control.

F'ing ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it. He's laid-off by his employer and can't afford something that is usually covered by his healthcare.

And Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug like heroin, and cocaine and morphine are schedule 2. Stupid. And nicotine, one of the most STUPID of all drugs to take (yes, that means you smokers), isn't really even ranked.

I agree, that is why I quit smoking, it feels good being a non smoker.

F'ing ridiculous.

All things considered I think he was taking responsibility for his issues. Would you not consider him having to drop treatments an issue caused by the lockout? It's not like he said anything beyond it being an added hurdle.

" i would've made charlie sheen look like miss daisy" lmao. Sounds like a good man

I don't believe that for a second. No way he out did Charlie. He didn't have the cash flow to compete on that level. And Charlie had been going for much longer.

Did he become a drug addict because of the mental illness, or did he become mentally ill because of the drug abuse? Hmmm?? I don't buy into all that marijuana being a gateway drug bullcrap. It all depends on the individual. This dude was probably a train wreck in the making well before he took that first bong hit at age 12.

Few bong rippers and a few beers here and there never hurt anybody. It's all about self-control.

Marijuana is a much more complicated drug than almost anyone gives it credit for. There's almost nobody I ever hear talk about it that isn't either completely ignorant and way to against it...or that doesn't sort of acknowledge the physiological effects it CAN have on SOME people...mainly b/c like almost anything else it's addictive. It's not going to have you throwing up in withdrawl, but it's particularly addictive to many kids and if you go over board with it, it will change your personality and can bring out mental illness and exacerbate it. That said, I am not against it and it's a tragedy people are in prison over it.

But to comment on the story...I hope he manages to stick with it. I doubt he'll play in the NFL again.

I will say his play at Tennessee was late round material. Fifth seemed reasonable without this info, which raises the question:

Did he/Tennessee hide it that well, or did the jets not care that much? A curious dynamic as we debate these draft picks.

Also makes me revisit the mallett issues as it appears you cab be an SEC starting qb and coast with drug issues quietly. Certainly not limited to him though.

I will say his play at Tennessee was late round material. Fifth seemed reasonable without this info, which raises the question:

Did he/Tennessee hide it that well, or did the jets not care that much? A curious dynamic as we debate these draft picks.

Also makes me revisit the mallett issues as it appears you cab be an SEC starting qb and coast with drug issues quietly. Certainly not limited to him though.

I'm telling you, it almost always catches up with you b/c of the nature of it...but you can coast doing almost ANYTHING as a severe drug addict. And I'm talking for a long time too. People that are drug addicts...certainly the way Ange was where he was a straight up "drug addict" (no particular drug though he was clearly into painkillers)...they have "tiger blood" (for lack of a better term). It's what ALLOWS them to be drug addicts. These people can do everyday things (work ect) feeling in such a way the normal person would be unable to continue on. Drug addicts would not exist if you couldn't function w/ severe problems. You become an expert at hiding it. You can be a drug addict in the NFL! Ange was!

Edited by dayman

I'm telling you, it almost always catches up with you b/c of the nature of it...but you can coast doing almost ANYTHING as a severe drug addict. And I'm talking for a long time too. People that are drug addicts...certainly the way Ange was where he was a straight up "drug addict" (no particular drug though he was clearly into painkillers)...they have "tiger blood" (for lack of a better term). It's what ALLOWS them to be drug addicts. These people can do everyday things (work ect) feeling in such a way the normal person would be unable to continue on. Drug addicts would not exist if you couldn't function w/ severe problems. You become an expert at hiding it. You can be a drug addict in the NFL! Ange was!

I would add - I think painkiller issues are probably stupid common in the NFL. Probably barely raises an eyebrow til it's really bad and coupled with other drugs and alcohol in a big way.

Edited by NoSaint

And here's whats wrong with collage (and pro) athletes: ENTITLEMENT!!!

"I was hooked on them and I was playing football, and there was no way I was going to cancel my senior year by going to rehab. I started getting them from people, buying them, getting them off the street. I wasn't the only player on the team that was doing it, so we knew people. It wasn't, like, super sketchy or anything. We knew people who had them, and we were Tennessee football players, so they pretty much just gave them to us."

What's ridiculous about it. He's laid-off by his employer and can't afford something that is usually covered by his healthcare.

What's ridiculous? Really? The kid decides against rehab in college because he didn't want it to hinder his senior year. He gets drafted by the Jets and his substance abuse actually increases. He's in and out of rehab on the League's dime and he misses a whole season after a 2 week bender. He's blown a chance at a career in the NFL (where he was somehow drafted)...and he feels compelled to mention that "the lockout has caused a lot of problems for me". This comment lacks......a bit of self awareness.

Did the lockout give him that awesome mullet, too?

All things considered I think he was taking responsibility for his issues. Would you not consider him having to drop treatments an issue caused by the lockout? It's not like he said anything beyond it being an added hurdle.

The lockout caused none of his problems, nor did it exacerbate any of them. If he hadn't gone on a bender and missed a year of football, he would be vested and would have access to an NFLPA HRA which would pay for his treatment--whatever that is at this point. Or, if he hadn't blown his money, he would be able to continue his current treatments through a COBRA extension of his recent health plan. There was no reason, other than his own doing, that he should be without the means for treatment.

What's ridiculous? Really? The kid decides against rehab in college because he didn't want it to hinder his senior year. He gets drafted by the Jets and his substance abuse actually increases. He's in and out of rehab on the League's dime and he misses a whole season after a 2 week bender. He's blown a chance at a career in the NFL (where he was somehow drafted)...and he feels compelled to mention that "the lockout has caused a lot of problems for me". This comment lacks......a bit of self awareness.

Did the lockout give him that awesome mullet, too?

The lockout caused none of his problems, nor did it exacerbate any of them. If he hadn't gone on a bender and missed a year of football, he would be vested and would have access to an NFLPA HRA which would pay for his treatment--whatever that is at this point. Or, if he hadn't blown his money, he would be able to continue his current treatments through a COBRA extension of his recent health plan. There was no reason, other than his own doing, that he should be without the means for treatment.

I guess I can see how it's less than ideal that the light has finally come on and he wants help but not only because of his actions but a work stoppage he can't control he has to change his treatment. I don't think he was making excuses or pointing fingers- just acknowledging that it was bad timing for his recovery.

I guess I can see how it's less than ideal that the light has finally come on and he wants help but not only because of his actions but a work stoppage he can't control he has to change his treatment. I don't think he was making excuses or pointing fingers- just acknowledging that it was bad timing for his recovery.

He's not even fit to draw a paycheck from the league if there was no lockout. If he really wants someone else to pay for his health care, he can apply for Medicaid/Medicare. Or he can spend his money and buy insurance.

it has never been and will never be about being cool. drown in a pool of vodka, troll.

Maybe it is time for a little history lesson.

As you have so correctly but rudely pointed out by wishing me dead, alcohol is bad for people. You earlier stated that it's not fair that alcohol is legal while your beloved pot isn't. Leaving aside for the moment that you sound like a jealous child asking why he can't jump off the house because his brother jumped off the bridge, I would point out that neither alcohol usage nor pot usage is something to which someone should aspire.

Here is where the history comes in. Back in the early 20th century enough people realized the damage alcohol did to our society. So many people saw this that a Constitutional amendment was passed banning it. That required 2/3rds of the states to agree. It passed because people were sick of seeing the neighbors kids and their moms getting beat up by their drunk low life "father".

Once instituted, prohibition, which is a mixture of the words "probation" and "alcohol" was nearly impossible to enforce. Not only were the means of production relatively simple to fabricate from ordinary items, the distribution channels and demand for the product were firmly in place. If production, distribution, or demand could have been stopped, the overwhelming number of Americans supporting "alcohol probation" would have won the day. It could not be done and prohibition was repealed.

At the time of prohibition pot existed but only in peace pipes and stuff like that. Remember, loser hippies had yet to be born. It was illegal because demand was low, production although relatively easy was also low, and distribution was almost non-existent. Fast forward a few decades and those things changed. Today's situation is similar to what alcohol had during prohibition. Maybe pot will get legalized. This will never change the fact that wife beating drunks and mind numbed hippies who think they are enlightened are not exactly pillars of a successful society.

Although prohibition failed because it was hard to implement, fewer people drank during its tenure. Once booze became legal again, we had more drunks. The same will hold true with pot so congratulations. We will have more Canadian like zombies wandering the streets wondering what the world would be like if red were blue and blue were red.

P.S. I would like to re-emphasize that alcohol was such a problem that a constitutional amendment was able to clear all the necessary hurdles. People must have really hated what alcohol did. Think about it. No one has even tried an amendment since the ERA in the 70s/80s. That didn't even come close to passing and it was far far far from controversial. How many times have you seen a pitcher where his ERA wasn't mentioned? Not very often right? Even this widely accepted and benign statistic could not gain national acceptance. Personally, I don't want the Feds involved with baseball even in a non-confrontational way so I am glad it didn't pass. Anyway that would mean different rules for the Blue Jays than the rest of the league and at the time of the amendment the Expos were still around too.

Maybe it is time for a little history lesson.

As you have so correctly but rudely pointed out by wishing me dead, alcohol is bad for people. You earlier stated that it's not fair that alcohol is legal while your beloved pot isn't. Leaving aside for the moment that you sound like a jealous child asking why he can't jump off the house because his brother jumped off the bridge, I would point out that neither alcohol usage nor pot usage is something to which someone should aspire.

Here is where the history comes in. Back in the early 20th century enough people realized the damage alcohol did to our society. So many people saw this that a Constitutional amendment was passed banning it. That required 2/3rds of the states to agree. It passed because people were sick of seeing the neighbors kids and their moms getting beat up by their drunk low life "father".

Once instituted, prohibition, which is a mixture of the words "probation" and "alcohol" was nearly impossible to enforce. Not only were the means of production relatively simple to fabricate from ordinary items, the distribution channels and demand for the product were firmly in place. If production, distribution, or demand could have been stopped, the overwhelming number of Americans supporting "alcohol probation" would have won the day. It could not be done and prohibition was repealed.

At the time of prohibition pot existed but only in peace pipes and stuff like that. Remember, loser hippies had yet to be born. It was illegal because demand was low, production although relatively easy was also low, and distribution was almost non-existent. Fast forward a few decades and those things changed. Today's situation is similar to what alcohol had during prohibition. Maybe pot will get legalized. This will never change the fact that wife beating drunks and mind numbed hippies who think they are enlightened are not exactly pillars of a successful society.

Although prohibition failed because it was hard to implement, fewer people drank during its tenure. Once booze became legal again, we had more drunks. The same will hold true with pot so congratulations. We will have more Canadian like zombies wandering the streets wondering what the world would be like if red were blue and blue were red.

P.S. I would like to re-emphasize that alcohol was such a problem that a constitutional amendment was able to clear all the necessary hurdles. People must have really hated what alcohol did. Think about it. No one has even tried an amendment since the ERA in the 70s/80s. That didn't even come close to passing and it was far far far from controversial. How many times have you seen a pitcher where his ERA wasn't mentioned? Not very often right? Even this widely accepted and benign statistic could not gain national acceptance. Personally, I don't want the Feds involved with baseball even in a non-confrontational way so I am glad it didn't pass. Anyway that would mean different rules for the Blue Jays than the rest of the league and at the time of the amendment the Expos were still around too.

So, who is going to win the NBA championship this year? Woudln't seeing Shaq win one mor be a "heartwarming" story? :thumbsup:

Edited by Buftex

So, who is going to win the NBA championship this year? Woudln't seeing Shaq win one mor be a "heartwarming" story? :thumbsup:

Davey got some heartwarming practice last night with the Cavs "win" over the Heat. Isn't that nice to see the crowd so enthusiastic?

I have to give him credit though, he is keeping this year's story under tight wraps. I really doubt it will be Shaq. Sorry. I know you like the C's. I think I'll know more when we get closer, but looking at the playoff standings let's give it a whirl with teams that have a realistic shot at making the playoffs. So far it seems the West has the better story line options.

1 y-Chicago A return to glory from the Jordan days???...not enough story so far.

2 y-Boston NOPE; sorry dude; Shaq angle highly doubtful....over Kobe maybe but same Final 2 in a row? Nah.

3 x-Miami 2011-12 Champs, not this year

4 x-Orlando Personally I don't see it...late breaking development?

5 x-Atlanta Lousy sports town and will not drive proper $$$$$

6 Philadelphia I haven't followed it enough to know. Is there a story here?

7 New York Actually, a possibility as far fetched as it seems.

8 Indiana Don't I wish?....Maybe if Butler wins and Stern wants a tie in but I doubt

9 Charlotte Will re-visit if they get in

10 Milwaukee Will re-visit if they get in

11 Detroit Will re-visit if they get in

1 x-San Antonio These guys have something on Stern, still I doubt it.

2 y-L.A. Lakers Phil Jackson's last hurrah? I'd hate to see it but a real strong possibility

3 x-Dallas Interesting...Mark Cuban finally gets his win. He is shilling ABC/ESPN for penance as we speak.

4 x-Oklahoma City Don't know enough to comment.....will research at playoff time.

5 Denver George Karl....no more Melo....hmmmm

6 Portland See Atlanta...more passion but smaller place....Maybe a Bill Walton angle?

7 New Orleans It's been done with the Saints even if it was legit....would be cheesy. Not impossible

8 Memphis Don't know enough to comment.....will research at playoff time.

9 Houston Will re-visit if they get in

10 Phoenix Will re-visit if they get in

11 Utah Will re-visit if they get in

It is hard for me to see anybody from the East winning at least at this point. Also, most of the west have some realistic angle.

Davey got some heartwarming practice last night with the Cavs "win" over the Heat. Isn't that nice to see the crowd so enthusiastic?

I have to give him credit though, he is keeping this year's story under tight wraps. I really doubt it will be Shaq. Sorry. I know you like the C's. I think I'll know more when we get closer, but looking at the playoff standings let's give it a whirl with teams that have a realistic shot at making the playoffs. So far it seems the West has the better story line options.

1 y-Chicago A return to glory from the Jordan days???...not enough story so far.

2 y-Boston NOPE; sorry dude; Shaq angle highly doubtful....over Kobe maybe but same Final 2 in a row? Nah.3 x-Miami 2011-12 Champs, not this year

4 x-Orlando Personally I don't see it...late breaking development?

5 x-Atlanta Lousy sports town and will not drive proper $$$$$

6 Philadelphia I haven't followed it enough to know. Is there a story here?

7 New York Actually, a possibility as far fetched as it seems.

8 Indiana Don't I wish?....Maybe if Butler wins and Stern wants a tie in but I doubt

9 Charlotte Will re-visit if they get in

10 Milwaukee Will re-visit if they get in

11 Detroit Will re-visit if they get in

1 x-San Antonio These guys have something on Stern, still I doubt it.

2 y-L.A. Lakers Phil Jackson's last hurrah? I'd hate to see it but a real strong possibility

3 x-Dallas Interesting...Mark Cuban finally gets his win. He is shilling ABC/ESPN for penance as we speak.

4 x-Oklahoma City Don't know enough to comment.....will research at playoff time.

5 Denver George Karl....no more Melo....hmmmm

6 Portland See Atlanta...more passion but smaller place....Maybe a Bill Walton angle?

7 New Orleans It's been done with the Saints even if it was legit....would be cheesy. Not impossible

8 Memphis Don't know enough to comment.....will research at playoff time.

9 Houston Will re-visit if they get in

10 Phoenix Will re-visit if they get in

11 Utah Will re-visit if they get in

It is hard for me to see anybody from the East winning at least at this point. Also, most of the west have some realistic angle.

My heart would most be warmed by the Celtics winning...best out of 3 for current Lakers/Celtics rivalry? Plus, Celtics GM has a heroin addicted nephew who he gives rubber bands to. (see op in this thread) My heart is swelling...the Perkins trade... :cry: I don't know if my heart can take any more warming...if the Cavs can't win it, its' gotta be the Celtics!

Edited by Buftex

My heart would most be warmed by the Celtics winning...best out of 3 for current Lakers/Celtics rivalry? Plus, Celtics GM has a heroin addicted nephew who he gives rubber bands to. (see op in this thread) My heart is swelling...the Perkins trade... :cry: I don't know if my heart can take any more warming...if the Cavs can't win it, its' gotta be the Celtics!

It is possible you are taking a selfish look at this whole scenario. Yours is but one heart. For the really big $$$$$$$$$$ Stern has to maximize the number of hearts. By the Finals you and all will be rooting for the eventual winner and even the Grinchiest of hearts will burst with joy.

It is possible you are taking a selfish look at this whole scenario. Yours is but one heart. For the really big $$$$$$$$$$ Stern has to maximize the number of hearts. By the Finals you and all will be rooting for the eventual winner and even the Grinchiest of hearts will burst with joy.

Nah...if the C's don't make it, I likely won't even watch the finals.