Sabres choke

:death:

I still feel good about this team making the playoffs and making some noise, but this loss was a blueprint of so many of their losses this year...they come out and dominate for the majority of the game (it is a game of ebbs and flows, it is near impossible to dominate an entire game), only to have somebody (in this case, Miller, IMO) just go limp in the crunch. He made some tremendous saves in the game, but I had a pretty bad feeling, when the Predators got their second goal, to make it 3-2 Sabres, they were going to lose...Miller just seems to freeze up wen he gives up a goal late in the game...and the rest of the way looks like a stone statue...very frustrating...the team has been playing like an elite team, offensively for the last month or so, and defensively, they are starting to look much better...they just got to turn more of those great scoring opportunities into goals...very frustrating loss...but, I have to remind myself, if they hadn't exploded for those 3 quick goals in the second, I would have been happy to get a point had the result been the same.

More than that is we lost pace with NYR..MASSIVE CHOKE!...every game is a must win and to let one like that get away is inexcusable.

Lindy better have em' skating hard tomorrow for that one.

Im more worried about fending off the #9 team than I am about chasing #7.

2 points would have been nice, but even 1 is huge at this point.

:death:

Why is it nobody ever points out the play of Ryan Miller when he has a bad game? I'm a fan of his but you never hear the media, players or coaches say he had a bad game. His defense wasn't much help on thr goal that tied the game at 3 but he has to make the glove save on Nashville's second goal and he was WAY out of position on the OT winner. Ryan lost the point tonight and MSG made Vanek look like the bad guy because he didn't score tonight :thumbdown:

The Sabres are not a team which has the talent to win the Stanley Cup.

Earlier this season it looked like a longshot that they would even make the playoffs.

Thus, if they make the playoffs, they've exceeded expectations. If they can knock off the number one seed in the first round, that would be a nice bonus.

The Sabres have a new, committed owner who unfortunately, took over the team shortly before the trade deadline.

The team's long term future is bright. Their short term future is a bit irrelevant, IMO.

Earlier this season it looked like a longshot that they would even make the playoffs.

Thus, if they make the playoffs, they've exceeded expectations. If they can knock off the number one seed in the first round, that would be a nice bonus.

The Sabres have a new, committed owner who unfortunately, took over the team shortly before the trade deadline.

The team's long term future is bright. Their short term future is a bit irrelevant, IMO.

It's hardly irrelevant, given how their playoff chances just a month ago looked to be a longshot, as you said. And by extension, you could say every team but the SC winner's short term future is irrelevant.

They are who we thought they are. A borderline playoff caliber team which their record shows. They might get in (and lose in the 1st round), or they might not. Either way it's exciting to see what unfolds. Miller was simply terrific last year and carried the team to the playoffs. His career basically shows he is a decent to good goalie however, not a great or elite one.

It's hardly irrelevant, given how their playoff chances just a month ago looked to be a longshot, as you said. And by extension, you could say every team but the SC winner's short term future is irrelevant.

You're right, Doc. I didn't explain myself clearly.

I guess what I was trying to say (unsuccessfully) is that the Sabres have been a marginal team for the last several years and are again this year…so I can't get excited about a team that is treading water. If I was seeing some real uptrending, I would feel differently.

Most of us remember the 1987 Buffalo Bills…they finished with a record of 7-8 but they had a young nucleus of Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Cornelius Bennett, Darryl Talley, etc. There was no question that they were a team on the rise and lo and behold, the next year, 1988, they finished at 12-4.

The 2003-04 Buffalo Sabres were the same way. They had a nucleus of talented young players such as Ryan Miller, Briere, Drury, McKee, Satan, Dumont, Roy, Biron, Kalinin, Tallinder, Pominville, etc. They were obviously one of the up-and-coming teams in the NHL.

Ditto with the mid-late 90's Sabres teams of Hasek and Nolan which featured all the bruise brothers…Rob Ray and Brad May, Bob Boughner, and Matthew Barnaby and talented players such as Michael Peca, Zhitnik, Audette, etc.

The above three teams were clearly teams on the upswing. On top of that they each had distinctive personalities…team identities.

The current Sabres edition is a nondescript team. They pretty much define average.

The only reason to believe they will improve and become an exciting team is because of the new ownership.

If the roster isn't changed drastically two years from today, I'd be very surprised. As the roster is currently comprised, the Sabres with a few exceptions are not an exciting or improving team.

I do love Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis. Myers should become one of the best players in the league very soon and Ennis has the verve and desire which allowed players like LaFontaine and Briere to transcend their size limitations.

Hope my point is clearer.

You're right, Doc. I didn't explain myself clearly.

I guess what I was trying to say (unsuccessfully) is that the Sabres have been a marginal team for the last several years and are again this year…so I can't get excited about a team that is treading water. If I was seeing some real uptrending, I would feel differently.

Most of us remember the 1987 Buffalo Bills…they finished with a record of 7-8 but they had a young nucleus of Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Cornelius Bennett, Darryl Talley, etc. There was no question that they were a team on the rise and lo and behold, the next year, 1988, they finished at 12-4.

The 2003-04 Buffalo Sabres were the same way. They had a nucleus of talented young players such as Ryan Miller, Briere, Drury, McKee, Satan, Dumont, Roy, Biron, Kalinin, Tallinder, Pominville, etc. They were obviously one of the up-and-coming teams in the NHL.

Ditto with the mid-late 90's Sabres teams of Hasek and Nolan which featured all the bruise brothers…Rob Ray and Brad May, Bob Boughner, and Matthew Barnaby and talented players such as Michael Peca, Zhitnik, Audette, etc.

The above three teams were clearly teams on the upswing. On top of that they each had distinctive personalities…team identities.

The current Sabres edition is a nondescript team. They pretty much define average.

The only reason to believe they will improve and become an exciting team is because of the new ownership.

If the roster isn't changed drastically two years from today, I'd be very surprised. As the roster is currently comprised, the Sabres with a few exceptions are not an exciting or improving team.

I do love Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis. Myers should become one of the best players in the league very soon and Ennis has the verve and desire which allowed players like LaFontaine and Briere to transcend their size limitations.

Hope my point is clearer.

Well...the Sabres won the Northeast division last year with essentially the same team and Golisano's "tread water financially" system. Granted, Miller was far better last year than he is this year, but the point is the potential is there, given the right moves, as Pegula has promised. It's not like every good NHL team got that way through just developing their own players.

I was at the game and it was a stunning and inexcusable whole-team defensive brain-fart in the last 3 minutes of the game. Their 2nd goal, Sekera got the puck from a corner scrum. He was near the side of the net and for some reason wanted to pass it up the middle. Miller apparently thought that Sekera would tap the puck to him so he put his stick down. He wasn't ready for the velocity of the pass (which was not intended for him) and it ended up next to the post. Miller tried to put his glove on it but the Predator got his stick in first and jammed it in.

Their third goal was really not Miller's fault. It was a hard, waist-high shot that got deflected down to the ice and bounced in.

The game winner came when Myers nonchalantly tried to pick up the puck behind the net, took his eye off it, and left it there. 2 seconds later it's out front and in the net.

I don't know how Vanek didn't get a goal or 2. He had at least 5 chances at wide-open nets.

Heavy sigh.

I will gladly take 1 point (non-conference) today for 2 points (division) on Tuesday!

Do I really gotta ride this rollercoaster, Sabres?

Well...the Sabres won the Northeast division last year with essentially the same team and Golisano's "tread water financially" system. Granted, Miller was far better last year than he is this year, but the point is the potential is there, given the right moves, as Pegula has promised. It's not like every good NHL team got that way through just developing their own players.

Yep. We need a top line!

Who do you think for a top line? You think Kane will come to BFLO when his contract is up (2014ish)?

More than that is we lost pace with NYR..MASSIVE CHOKE!...every game is a must win and to let one like that get away is inexcusable.

Lindy better have em' skating hard tomorrow for that one.

Eh, making 7th seed is no big deal. 8th is fine as long as we make the playoffs. I'm surprised Enroth didn't get the start. They are going to burn Miller out again.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Im more worried about fending off the #9 team than I am about chasing #7.

2 points would have been nice, but even 1 is huge at this point.

They have 10 games left... 11 points in 10 games should make it close!

Just don't lose more than 4-5 in reg... Stay below the 30 loss (reg) threshold. FWIW, they have a gme to give here or there... Even if the others are hot. Still, games w/ CAR, TOR, NJD, NYR, and Tuesday's MTL game are critical where points have to be earned! 2 on Tuesday will be nice!

Eh, making 7th seed is no big deal. 8th is fine as long as we make the playoffs. I'm surprised Enroth didn't get the start. They are going to burn Miller out again.

PTR

ME TOO! Especially after finding out Rinne was sitting. Lindy pisses me off with his goalies. Miller better come out on fire against the Habs!!!

Too boot... This NAS game was the only game all season they did not get a penalty called against them! They did everything right except choke and get complacent at the end! I don't know what it is about the psych of this team?

I disagree with the one that says Lindy shoudl go hard on them... Lindy needs to lighten up a bit, esepcially on this one!

It happens from time to time...

This game brought us two truths. That Miller isn't as good as he's hyped to be and that this team is still not there to being a Stanley Cup contender.

Bingo... He is great at times... But there is a reason he went 138th in the draft and a guy like MAF (Pens) goes number one.

LINDY.

A great coach that needs a bit more talent. I have no doubt he would keep any team above water. IMO, he would have a team like the Isles in contention and maybe in as of now.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Watch out for those New Jersey Devils only 7 points behind and they play the Sabers this Saturday. I know its a long shot for the Devils to make the playoffs but if they can win 9 out of their last 10 they can still get to 90 points.

I am not saying it can't be done... BUT the numbers don't look good... BFLO, TOR, & CAR would have to collapse... And BFLO plays each other once... That is 6 points going to those teams... Maybe more in OT/SO/3 point games! You better hope they all "spread it around" winning one game... If a team wins mutiples against BFLO, the numbers will be tough to jive. This doesn't take into consideration the other games played. BFLO also plays NJD once.

I feel for NJD, they are playing some of the best hockey in the league... Too bad they picked January to start playing and winning the way they know how.

Good luck... It would be a great story if they pull it off!

I will gladly take 1 point (non-conference) today for 2 points (division) on Tuesday!

Do I really gotta ride this rollercoaster, Sabres?

Yep. We need a top line!

Who do you think for a top line? You think Kane will come to BFLO when his contract is up (2014ish)?

Hopefully the way that game ended was a kick in the pants for the team. It was inexcusable.

As for the top line, I couldn't tell you since I don't know who FA's are. I suppose Kane could be an option, but 2014 is 3 years away.

This game brought us two truths. That Miller isn't as good as he's hyped to be and that this team is still not there to being a Stanley Cup contender.

How does 1 game out of 82 bring you these "truths"? And if one game can define a team, what about the Atlanta game THE NIGHT BEFORE? What truths did you get form that one?

Not saying Miller is or isn't good, or the team is or isn't ready, but I'm wondering how 1 game can answer either of those.

How does 1 game out of 82 bring you these "truths"? And if one game can define a team, what about the Atlanta game THE NIGHT BEFORE? What truths did you get form that one?

Not saying Miller is or isn't good, or the team is or isn't ready, but I'm wondering how 1 game can answer either of those.

I know you are not talking to me, but, have you watched the Sabres this year...or for a good part of last two years?

Yesterdays loss was nausiatingly similar to so many losses the Sabres have suffered the last few years. Miller is terrific for most of the game...however, and I can't back this up with any stats, because I don't know where to find them, but I would guess that Miller has given up more goals in the final two minutes of the game over the last 3 years than anyone...I don't know...it may be an indication that this team just can't play "protect the lead" hockey, but they are not good at it...Miller, in particular just seems to freeze up in these situations... If you took away all the garbage goals he has given up in the final minutes of games, I would bet that he would be leading the legue in shut-outs over the last 5 years....

When the Predators scored their 2nd goal of the game, yesterday, just inside two minutes, cutting the Sabres lead to 1 goal, I would have bet my money with anyone, he was going to give up the tying goal...he just gets that sort of dazed look on his face when he gives up a crappy goal (and he gave up 3 of them yesterday)...for a split second he wants to blame somebody else, then, he just stares, almost cross-eyed, into space...as for the rest of the team, they are not perfect by any means, but they are playing about as well as you can hope for this team, over the last month or so...I think this team can, and will, make the playoffs, and I think they can knock off one of the top four teams, and then, who knows? However, for this to happen, they will have to rely more on scoring 4 or 5 goals a night, than winnig low scoring, one goal games.

I know you are not talking to me, but, have you watched the Sabres this year...or for a good part of last two years?

Yesterdays loss was nausiatingly similar to so many losses the Sabres have suffered the last few years. Miller is terrific for most of the game...however, and I can't back this up with any stats, because I don't know where to find them, but I would guess that Miller has given up more goals in the final two minutes of the game over the last 3 years than anyone...I don't know...it may be an indication that this team just can't play "protect the lead" hockey, but they are not good at it...Miller, in particular just seems to freeze up in these situations... If you took away all the garbage goals he has given up in the final minutes of games, I would bet that he would be leading the legue in shut-outs over the last 5 years....

When the Predators scored their 2nd goal of the game, yesterday, just inside two minutes, cutting the Sabres lead to 1 goal, I would have bet my money with anyone, he was going to give up the tying goal...he just gets that sort of dazed look on his face when he gives up a crappy goal (and he gave up 3 of them yesterday)...for a split second he wants to blame somebody else, then, he just stares, almost cross-eyed, into space...as for the rest of the team, they are not perfect by any means, but they are playing about as well as you can hope for this team, over the last month or so...I think this team can, and will, make the playoffs, and I think they can knock off one of the top four teams, and then, who knows? However, for this to happen, they will have to rely more on scoring 4 or 5 goals a night, than winnig low scoring, one goal games.

Like I said, I wasn't actually stating that it was just an off game for the Sabres or Miller. Regardless, you are basically backing up my first point, that it takes more than just one game to get any "truths" about a team.

As for watching the Sabres this year or last for that matter, I haven't been able to watch them since I moved into my current house. We decided to forgo the cable subscription to save some money. I've maybe seen four games in the last two years, but I do stream wgr every couple games, so I really don't have a good handle on how they are playing other than staring at the scoresheets during the game, reading the recaps, listening to RJ and watching highlights.

From your description of the last game, sounds like the Sabres are playing like the Bills under Jauron.

Edited by kdub

Like I said, I wasn't actually stating that it was just an off game for the Sabres or Miller. Regardless, you are basically backing up my first point, that it takes more than just one game to get any "truths" about a team.

As for watching the Sabres this year or last for that matter, I haven't been able to watch them since I moved into my current house. We decided to forgo the cable subscription to save some money. I've maybe seen four games in the last two years, but I do stream wgr every couple games, so I really don't have a good handle on how they are playing other than staring at the scoresheets during the game, reading the recaps, listening to RJ and watching highlights.

From your description of the last game, sounds like the Sabres are playing like the Bills under Jauron.

You can watch them on-line, you know! ;)

Sabres choke

Sekera made a horrible play behind the net and that goal was their undoing, which is a shame because he's been playing great. Then a lost faceoff shortly after that and it was tied. They played a really good game though. Had a couple chances to put them away, but couldn't do it. You just have to put it behind you as team and look forward to Tuesday. They blew the win on one play, but they hung on (barely) for a point. 3 points up and 10 to go. They don't get any easier, so hopefully that point doesn't come back to bite them in the end...

Edited by ricojes

My two truths would be: (1) TWS is still full of people who over-react at the drop of a hat, and (2) any team without bonafide centers on the two lines will be in the same position the Sabres are in...

Watch out for those New Jersey Devils only 7 points behind and they play the Sabers this Saturday. I know its a long shot for the Devils to make the playoffs but if they can win 9 out of their last 10 they can still get to 90 points.

I was more worried about the Devils a week ago. They've lost a couple GIR lately, so doubt they will be able to climb over 3 teams. Hopefully the Sabres can put a stake in them on Saturday.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Pegula just took over in late Feb.

Saying that the Sabres choke is just re-hashing what we've already known for years now.

Let the new owner have the time to affect change. He has already started, Brad Boyes as an addition is a very good step forward.

It allows the Sabres options in the off season to trade for a very skilled center and Boyes was a steal for a 2nd round draft pick.

Pominville or Stafford and Hecht along with 1 or 2 of the young defensemen are sure to be packaged for a deal, maybe at the draft, maybe after July 1st, but it's coming for sure.

Enjoy the run to the playoffs this season and look forward to the future. It's shaping up to be a bright future at that.

I was there with my son. With about 5 minutes left I was getting ready for the drive home. Then suddenly it was over, the wrong way. Everyone in there was looking at each other like "WTF just happened", it was all so fast.

A bunch or people had left in my section but they must not have made it out the door before the Preds got their second goal because most of them came back to their seats.

It was a punch in the gut for sure. I don't think I've ever seen Miller go so quick off the ice before. He was clearly pissed.

And for the life of me I don't know what Sekera was thinking skating the puck into the Sabres crease like that with a couple minutes left and a 2 goal lead. And Lindy putting Sekera on the ice for the first shift of OT after he brain farted the second preds goal and was on the ice for the third. The Preds had four goals and Sekera was at least -3 that game. Crazy ****.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Let the new owner have the time to affect change. He has already started, Brad Boyes as an addition is a very good step forward.

It allows the Sabres options in the off season to trade for a very skilled center and Boyes was a steal for a 2nd round draft pick.

I liked this pick-up a lot, and it didn't take him long at all to start scoring a bunch of timely goals. Nice move by the new F.O.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

I liked this pick-up a lot, and it didn't take him long at all to start scoring a bunch of timely goals. Nice move by the new F.O.

It was likely a move orchestrated by the old FO. Not that Darcy Regier went anywhere.

It was likely a move orchestrated by the old FO. Not that Darcy Regier went anywhere.

Not so sure about that. In the past, under the previous owner, the Sabres wouldn't have picked up a player like Boyce, as he has another year on his contract...and his salary is substantial, in the bigger scheme of things. Darcy might have thought about it, but I am not sure that they would have been able to pull it off, with the financial constraints of the Golisano ownership.

Not so sure about that. In the past, under the previous owner, the Sabres wouldn't have picked up a player like Boyce, as he has another year on his contract...and his salary is substantial, in the bigger scheme of things. Darcy might have thought about it, but I am not sure that they would have been able to pull it off, with the financial constraints of the Golisano ownership.

The FO typically refers to the GM & scouts. That portion of the organization is unchanged as of yet, which is what Doc was referring to. Expecting major additions to the scouting department in the off-season.

Though the FO hasn't changed, the guys approving/nixing the FO's handiwork have definitely changed. :thumbsup:

The FO typically refers to the GM & scouts. That portion of the organization is unchanged as of yet, which is what Doc was referring to. Expecting major additions to the scouting department in the off-season.

Though the FO hasn't changed, the guys approving/nixing the FO's handiwork have definitely changed. :thumbsup:

The Sabres added Spacek for about $3.3M a year from 2006-2009, and that's commensurate with what Boyes is getting today. True Spacek was a FA and Boyes was a trade, but the team is still $3.5M under the cap, while it was $2.2M under in 2009-2010.

Edited by Doc

BINGO! Now when he rests... He usually gains his composure for the next game. He gets flustered during a game and his positioning seems off. I don't know what it is!!! He comes unglued at times and 1, 2, 3 goals quickly follow! I have said it years ago, Lindy can't manage his goalies... He was blessed with Hasak. A coach (as much as I hate him) like Laviolette would have straightend him out... Like how he did Martin Gerber/Cam Ward in the conference finals against the Sabres. Lindy is a players coach and this is what is hurting the team from time to time... Sometimes he has to step on Ryan's toes, well okay skates!!!

I was there with my son. With about 5 minutes left I was getting ready for the drive home. Then suddenly it was over, the wrong way. Everyone in there was looking at each other like "WTF just happened", it was all so fast.

A bunch or people had left in my section but they must not have made it out the door before the Preds got their second goal because most of them came back to their seats.

It was a punch in the gut for sure. I don't think I've ever seen Miller go so quick off the ice before. He was clearly pissed.

And for the life of me I don't know what Sekera was thinking skating the puck into the Sabres crease like that with a couple minutes left and a 2 goal lead. And Lindy putting Sekera on the ice for the first shift of OT after he brain farted the second preds goal and was on the ice for the third. The Preds had four goals and Sekera was at least -3 that game. Crazy ****.

HOW in the world does anyone leave with a 2 goal lead... A two goal lead in hockey is so flimsy... I can see a 3 goal lead...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Agreed on everything here.

Also, if some of the faithful would have noticed (which I know you have Mr. Taro), Brad Boyes comes at 4 mil for next season. A very good price for a sniping right winger. More importantly, due to his off seasons this last year in a half with the St. Louis Blues, he came for only a 2nd round draft pick, that price is very good for a 28 year old right wing sniper who needed a change of scenery.

I can see Vanek - Roy - Boyes forming a solid scoring line next season.

I already see the chemistry Ennis and Stafford are forming as wingers, just need that stud superstar center to complete them.

That leaves Pominville as the odd man out in my opinion. 5.3 mil (I believe?) for Pominville is way to much, although Pommers brings a good 2 way game.

Pominville's contract is a bit high, but he has great value to other clubs who lack a 60+ point line 2 right winger who plays the PK and PP. If Regier is going to move someone, I have to imagine it's Pommers given the cap space he frees up combined with the logjam at right wing already here and coming.

Current Right Wingers:

Brad Boyes (Sniper)

Drew Stafford (Sniper)

Jason Pominville (Two-way Forward)

Mike Grier (Shutdown Forward)

Patrick Kaleta (Checking Forward)

Mark Mancari (Power Forward)

Zach Kassian (Power Forward)

Grier won't be back in my opinion.

Kassian heads to Portland.

Mancari will get re-signed and finally be up with the big club, he's paid his dues and Gerbe and him click, they've both stated such. He's cheap and allows Kassian the time for next season to develop in the AHL. A good call up when Kaleta gets injured.

That leaves Pominville at 28 years old as the odd man out to me. Of course, Regier falls in love with his players, so we shall see what happens, but I can't see them moving Boyes or Stafford given their performance this season and Stafford is still only 25 years old.

Pominville in a package deal could land a very decent center if the package includes some young stud defensemen, like Butler, Sekera or Weber (although, I highly doubt Weber is going anywhere, just a good solid checking, stay at home type defenseman).

I am actually looking forward to the off season for the first time in a long time for the Sabres.

We actually agree on many things, but for the record, last year the Sabres were something like 32-0 when leading after 2 periods. Then they lost three times in the playoffs to Boston while leading after 2, but that is another story. Sigh.

This team has potential, but still has holes. Miller is good, but he is no Hasek. The team needs consistent offense. They will probably still make the playoffs, but a long run is unlikely. Still, that is better than things looked in November, so perspective helps all around.

Following the Sabres since the 1970s is in some ways better, some ways worse than following the Bills. For so many of their seasons, the Sabres, even when they were good, were unbalanced—strong offense with weak defense or the other way around. And they have consistently showed weak character in the playoffs, with a few notable exceptions. And even with all their talent and regular season success, they have not yet had that one streak of good fortune that leads a good team to catch lightning in a bottle and win it all. At least not yet.

We actually agree on many things, but for the record, last year the Sabres were something like 32-0 when leading after 2 periods. Then they lost three times in the playoffs to Boston while leading after 2, but that is another story. Sigh.

This team has potential, but still has holes. Miller is good, but he is no Hasek. The team needs consistent offense. They will probably still make the playoffs, but a long run is unlikely. Still, that is better than things looked in November, so perspective helps all around.

Following the Sabres since the 1970s is in some ways better, some ways worse than following the Bills. For so many of their seasons, the Sabres, even when they were good, were unbalanced—strong offense with weak defense or the other way around. And they have consistently showed weak character in the playoffs, with a few notable exceptions. And even with all their talent and regular season success, they have not yet had that one streak of good fortune that leads a good team to catch lightning in a bottle and win it all. At least not yet.

Yes, I recall that. But, I also recall him giving up numerous goals in the final minute or two of games...he had so many near-shutouts...I realize, bigger picture, shut-outs don't mean all that much, as long as you win...but I swear, I feel like he turns into a different goaltender in those situations...when the pressure is on, and the opposing team is scrambling to get the puck on the net...like he just loses his vision...reminds me of my girlfriends' daughter, when she drives on I-35...she told me she "just changes lanes, and hopes there are no accidents"

Its' interesting what you say about the team being flawed for most of it's existence. I started watching around 73-74, but didn't always understand the game, until the late 70's early 80's during the Bowman era. I missed the bulk of the 90's, as it was impossible to live out of town, in those days, and follow the Sabres. And, you are right. It seems, more often than not, we have a defensively sound team, that struggles to score goals when they need them...I kind of like the offensive part of our game, the last month or so...starting to get a little of that 2006 mojo, it seems...I am not expecting big things from this team, but I won't be shocked, either, if they make a good run.

Edited by Buftex

Boy I really hope they don't play the Flyers. Having to listen to their homer announcers complain about every call and non-call always makes me want to stab them in the face with a screwdriver.

I don't know which is worse: the Philly homer announcers or the Bahstun homer announcers.