Adrian Peterson..."modern day slavery"

Peterson just stated how he feel, maybe he remembered we live in a country where it does state, A "freedom" of "speech"! Have yall heard of it..

He does have a "freedom" of "speech" to state how "he feel". We have heard of it. And we are exercising our "freedom" of "speech" to rightly put this clown in his place.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Peterson needs to do, is go down to his local grocery store, buy a box of straws, take one and SUCK IT UP!!!!!

My grandparents were teenagers when the Nazi's invaded Poland. They were taken from Poland, moved to Germany and were forced to do slave labor until Germany was liberated by the Allies. My grandparents weren't paid millions of dollars, in fact, weren't paid anything at all, so this motherf@!ker needs to STFU with his slavery bullsh@t!!!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Nice piece by Whitlock but in mentioning the impact that John Thompson and Georgetown had on college basketball, I would have liked to have seen at least a mention of Don Haskins and Texas Western University (now UTEP) and their 1966 NCAA Championship. Their win over Kentucky was a truly transcendent moment in college basketball.

GO BILLS!!!

I thought the exact same thing. I was just a little too young to remember Texas Western in '66, but I can remember all black or mostly black starting lineups in the 70s, before Hoya Paranoia........I'm sure Georgetown did a lot in this regard, but I think Texas Western did more.

Hrm...last I knew there were people of many ethnicities playing football? Who said Adrian Peterson's statement was referring to black people????? If someone is making this a racial statement that someone needs to take a look at themselves.

This type of statement for joe six pack that can't see farther than his own biases and prejudices is always very controversial. If I had to guess he is referring to contracts and the inability to switch jobs within his field like anyone else. If you work for McDonalds you can decide not to show up at work the next day and get a job with Burger King and make the same money. You could even take a promotion (salary increase) with Wendy's the day after that.

Not so in the NFL. It is a very small job market and there are rules against leaving one company(franchise) for another. More direct comparisons to slavery of any sort for people of any color is that the "merchandise" is poked prodded and examined before drafting "purchasing" the employee. They make you run, jump, lift and that's just the stuff that we see at the "combine". Behind closed doors these guys are stripped naked and examined like animals. Again potential NFL players of ALL RACES. Think about how announcers and scouts discuss NFL candidates and players. It's like they are describing horses or bulls or something. They even make statements like "he comes from good stock" for instance when Clay Mathews was running around at the combine. He's not a beast of burden.

Peterson WAS stupid for making the comment because most people can't get past the sensationalism of the statement and even remotely consider the similarities he might be referring to. Again not a racist statement.

You didn't sign a contract to be employed exclusively by McDonalds, so you, of course, are free to go work at Burger King. In fact, so is Adrian Peterson.

You haven't figured it out yet, but the reason his comments are "stupid" is because they mock those individuals or groups of people who actually were enslaved.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Hrm...last I knew there were people of many ethnicities playing football? Who said Adrian Peterson's statement was referring to black people????? If someone is making this a racial statement that someone needs to take a look at themselves.

This type of statement for joe six pack that can't see farther than his own biases and prejudices is always very controversial. If I had to guess he is referring to contracts and the inability to switch jobs within his field like anyone else. If you work for McDonalds you can decide not to show up at work the next day and get a job with Burger King and make the same money. You could even take a promotion (salary increase) with Wendy's the day after that.

Not so in the NFL. It is a very small job market and there are rules against leaving one company(franchise) for another. More direct comparisons to slavery of any sort for people of any color is that the "merchandise" is poked prodded and examined before drafting "purchasing" the employee. They make you run, jump, lift and that's just the stuff that we see at the "combine". Behind closed doors these guys are stripped naked and examined like animals. Again potential NFL players of ALL RACES. Think about how announcers and scouts discuss NFL candidates and players. It's like they are describing horses or bulls or something. They even make statements like "he comes from good stock" for instance when Clay Mathews was running around at the combine. He's not a beast of burden.

Peterson WAS stupid for making the comment because most people can't get past the sensationalism of the statement and even remotely consider the similarities he might be referring to. Again not a racist statement.

If you could share some non-retarded similarities I would greatly appreciate it, because no matter how hard I try I just can't think of any.

Yes, if you work at "McDonalds" for minimum wage, one of the perks is that you can leave when you want to take a better job.

However, there are MANY of us that work for companies at a "normal" salary that have signed employment agreements with non-compete clauses. PLENTY of regular working folk are unable to jump ship whenever they want to and go work for a competitor.

If I want to get out of this field, I can do that. And if the players want to do something other than play football, they have that option as well. But as long as I want to be in this industry, and as long as they want to get paid millions to play football... thems the breaks. You work for who you signed up with.

Of course, I could quit and wait out the non-compete clause.

And with regards to the way the players are "examined"... they are interviewing to be a professional athlete. Their body is their livelihood. When someone applies for a job at Google, they get put through an onslaught of MENTAL interviews and questions, because their mind is their livelihood. If they dont like being physically examined and inspected, they can go into a field that is mentally focused instead.

Good luck making NFL money elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Point is, even without the racial aspect (which I never took into account) it is a completely ridiculous and selfcentered statement. It shows how truly OUT OF TOUCH and SPOILED these players really are. To equate making $10mil/year for working out with your friends, to SLAVERY. TO SLAVERY?!?! REALLY?!? Dude is out of his mind. He should be ashamed. Black civil rights leaders should be ashamed of him as well.

This was sort of my point. Slavery is not a black issue. Many people of many ethnicities in the history of this world of ours have been enslaved. It is our american and racial bias that make many think it is a black thing. Black civil rights leaders should be no more ashamed or outraged than asian, french, irish...etc civil rights leaders.

This was sort of my point. Slavery is not a black issue. Many people of many ethnicities in the history of this world of ours have been enslaved. It is our american and racial bias that make many think it is a black thing. Black civil rights leaders should be no more ashamed or outraged than asian, french, irish...etc civil rights leaders.

Every race has been enslaved at one point or another since the beginning of time. It continues today.

Yes, if you work at "McDonalds" for minimum wage, one of the perks is that you can leave when you want to take a better job.

However, there are MANY of us that work for companies at a "normal" salary that have signed employment agreements with non-compete clauses. PLENTY of regular working folk are unable to jump ship whenever they want to and go work for a competitor.

If I want to get out of this field, I can do that. And if the players want to do something other than play football, they have that option as well. But as long as I want to be in this industry, and as long as they want to get paid millions to play football... thems the breaks. You work for who you signed up with.

Of course, I could quit and wait out the non-compete clause.

And with regards to the way the players are "examined"... they are interviewing to be a professional athlete. Their body is their livelihood. When someone applies for a job at Google, they get put through an onslaught of MENTAL interviews and questions, because their mind is their livelihood. If they dont like being physically examined and inspected, they can go into a field that is mentally focused instead.

Good luck making NFL money elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Point is, even without the racial aspect (which I never took into account) it is a completely ridiculous and selfcentered statement. It shows how truly OUT OF TOUCH and SPOILED these players really are. To equate making $10mil/year for working out with your friends, to SLAVERY. TO SLAVERY?!?! REALLY?!? Dude is out of his mind. He should be ashamed. Black civil rights leaders should be ashamed of him as well.

Forgot my biggest point. Unlike some corporations and their non compete clauses, yes I had to sign one, the player has ABSOLUTELY no control over where he will work once he decides to become a football player. When a teacher graduates from school they aren't put up on a stage and "selected" by a school district to work and then be forced to stay their for 4+ years. They can choose their employer out of college.

These guys can't. You would have a much more valid point on this if the NFL were truly a free market and potential employees could START their career IN THEIR CHOSEN FIELD anywhere they want if the company was willing to hire them. Instead they have to work for whoever selects them and then wait to be "emancipated" so that they can choose their own destiny. That is of course unless they get "franchised" ;)

Forgot my biggest point. Unlike some corporations and their non compete clauses, yes I had to sign one, the player has ABSOLUTELY no control over where he will work once he decides to become a football player. When a teacher graduates from school they aren't put up on a stage and "selected" by a school district to work and then be forced to stay their for 4+ years. They can choose their employer out of college.

These guys can't. You would have a much more valid point on this if the NFL were truly a free market and potential employees could START their career IN THEIR CHOSEN FIELD anywhere they want if the company was willing to hire them. Instead they have to work for whoever selects them and then wait to be "emancipated" so that they can choose their own destiny. That is of course unless they get "franchised" ;)

I hadn't thought of it like that before, but you're right. Playing in the NFL and being a slave are like practically the same thing. Holy ****.

If you could share some non-retarded similarities I would greatly appreciate it, because no matter how hard I try I just can't think of any.

Already stated in another post. Don't get me wrong. The comments were indeed stupid and the comparison is thin at best but I think I have a feel for what he was trying to communicate. Very poorly, yes.

Already stated in another post. Don't get me wrong. The comments were indeed stupid and the comparison is thin at best but I think I have a feel for what he was trying to communicate. Very poorly, yes.

Oh, we all have a feel for what he was trying to communicate. And even if he made his point in a less ridiculous way, he would still be a spoiled brat who needs to find out what it means to work for a (meager) living. His stupid statements are nothing more than extreme exaggeration, and it's insulting to 1. Everyone in the history of the world that has been enslaved, and 2. The entire working class that doesnt make $10mil/year.

His comparison is outrageous and offensive. (and I hate using the term offensive, but it applies here)

Case Closed.

I hadn't thought of it like that before, but you're right. Playing in the NFL and being a slave are like practically the same thing. Holy ****.

Not sure how you read all of that into my statements but....oh...wait..."SARCASM... the protest of those who are".... :w00t:

Forgot my biggest point. Unlike some corporations and their non compete clauses, yes I had to sign one, the player has ABSOLUTELY no control over where he will work once he decides to become a football player. When a teacher graduates from school they aren't put up on a stage and "selected" by a school district to work and then be forced to stay their for 4+ years.

When a person joins the military, they don't get a choice of where they want to work. They go where Uncle Sam tells 'em. The difference is, NFL guys get big money for it (which in my mind justifies it in spades). If they don't want that, they could also try out for the local UFL or Arena team or MLB OR NBA or sack groceries. Nobody sez they gotta go anywhere. Comes with the territory. If you don't like it, don't play.

Dude, stop. It's embarrassing.

If Peterson hates the slave life so much, he can quit playing football. He's a grown-up.