Adrian Peterson..."modern day slavery"

You gotta love the irony of a millionare who is being LOCKED OUT from working and is forced to sit back, NOT WORK, and enjoy his millions is equating his situation to slavery...an insitution based on FORCING people TO WORK for NOTHING until they DIE.

I like quotes like AP's because it reminds me that while I might not be a millionare and least I'm not some moronic self-centered loser.

This quote is right up there with K Winslow Jr's quote "we are soldiers."

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm wondering where those paragons of virtue in the media are when someone makes such a racist comment?

You know, the Chris Matthewses and Katie Courics and Keith Olbermanns of the world? Where are they?

They are all searching for proof that the Japan earthquake was actually caused by republicans.

On the subject of ridiculous racial statements, I haven't seen anybody post the whole Jalen Rose - Duke thing. On the espn 30 for 30 about the Fab Five this week, he said that he hated Duke and that the blacks who went there were Uncle Tom's (Totally changing the meaning - his meaning was that they didn't recruit blacks who weren't good citizens - only those with good grades, not in trouble with the law - the same as their standards are for whites)........I love Grant Hill's comeback (esp. the dig about being proud to never have lost to the Fab Five):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6224395

On the subject of ridiculous racial statements, I haven't seen anybody post the whole Jalen Rose - Duke thing. On the espn 30 for 30 about the Fab Five this week, he said that he hated Duke and that the blacks who went there were Uncle Tom's (Totally changing the meaning - his meaning was that they didn't recruit blacks who weren't good citizens - only those with good grades, not in trouble with the law - the same as their standards are for whites)........I love Grant Hill's comeback (esp. the dig about being proud to never have lost to the Fab Five):

I really wish I knew more about life so I could understand racism. Then later I realize that by no means would I want to believe there is anything rational about it so I could never understand it. Funny stereotypes are one thing but the idea that race means anything in reality is ...well, I just do not know! I understand the BS of sexism more then I do racism, or the whole church thing...but damn it, I do not get racism. There are differences in culture, there are differences in socio-economics, but there is nothing about the skin that means anything.

Poor Jalen Rose, I fear that he gets lets then I do about the situation. Duke is a great school that I love, along with the Ohio State and Cuse. He stumbles over his beliefs because is he lacking a belief structure. It is plain and simple.

Now, Grant Hill on the other hand, :thumbsup: I am so excited to see the Duke team take this Tourney. My only fear is that Ohio State and Duke meet in the final four and that one faces Cuse!

I really wish I knew more about life so I could understand racism. Then later I realize that by no means would I want to believe there is anything rational about it so I could never understand it. Funny stereotypes are one thing but the idea that race means anything in reality is ...well, I just do not know! I understand the BS of sexism more then I do racism, or the whole church thing...but damn it, I do not get racism. There are differences in culture, there are differences in socio-economics, but there is nothing about the skin that means anything.

Poor Jalen Rose, I fear that he gets lets then I do about the situation. Duke is a great school that I love, along with the Ohio State and Cuse. He stumbles over his beliefs because is he lacking a belief structure. It is plain and simple.

Now, Grant Hill on the other hand, :thumbsup: I am so excited to see the Duke team take this Tourney. My only fear is that Ohio State and Duke meet in the final four and that one faces Cuse!

I don't think it has anything to do with the color of one's skin. It's a cultural thing......Rose and Hill both have the same skin color. Both of them are son's of excellent professional athletes. Rose's was Jimmy Walker, a hard partying Detroit Piston, who died very young from some self-destructive cause and never played a part in Jalen's life. Jimmy's backcourt partner, Dave Bing (Cuse great and now mayor of Detroit) was more of a father to Jalen than Jimmy.

Grant Hill's father, Calvin, was there to raise Grant and of course was shown at all the games. So, this is an Uncle Tom, because he came from a two parent family, who were intelligent, hard working and cared about their kids.

I figured my man, Jason Whitlock, would have something to say about this and I just read this:

I had no idea the Fab Five never even won their conference!

I don't think it has anything to do with the color of one's skin.

It is, though. Both of these players feel that the black men who attended Duke to play basketball were doing so in spite of being black. They were willing to play the white mans game, if you will. Black people are just as racist as white folk and others. These guys are upset because they feel as if a true black man is someone like them not one of these "Uncle Toms."

It is, though. Both of these players feel that the black men who attended Duke to play basketball were doing so in spite of being black. They were willing to play the white mans game, if you will. Black people are just as racist as white folk and others. These guys are upset because they feel as if a true black man is someone like them not one of these "Uncle Toms."

I see what you're saying and have to agree........Also, I just the double standard. If a white guy working for espn said Steve Fisher or John Thompson only recruited thugs, I'm pretty sure they would be out of a job right now...........Jalen will not even have to sweat it - his espn job is no jeopardy right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because the NFL (the owners) does not come to a consensus with the NFLPA does not mean that they would not be able to negotiate with other parties (TV, etc.) as a group. I imagine the league would go on with non-unionized players and pay them whatever the true "free market" demands that they pay. It would be a disaster for most the players as you said in your post.

oh yeah, and peterson is an idiot.

It all depends on the judge's ruling. An antitrust ruling, and let's face it the NFL conducts business under a restraint of trade, may consider more than simply that the NFL wasn't handing out enough lollipops to the players in determining the extent of the damages and the punishment.

Just to let Adrian in on a little something, actual "Slaves" didn't make a dime for any of the work they did. Not one penny, that's why they were "slaves". NFL players make millions of dollars a year to play a game. Uh, yeah Adrian...that's the same...

Also slaves could not do anything else. Can't Adrian get a job at the quik check or the NBA if he wanted? What is holding him back from leaving if he is so unhappy with the NFL?

Hrm...last I knew there were people of many ethnicities playing football? Who said Adrian Peterson's statement was referring to black people????? If someone is making this a racial statement that someone needs to take a look at themselves.

This type of statement for joe six pack that can't see farther than his own biases and prejudices is always very controversial. If I had to guess he is referring to contracts and the inability to switch jobs within his field like anyone else. If you work for McDonalds you can decide not to show up at work the next day and get a job with Burger King and make the same money. You could even take a promotion (salary increase) with Wendy's the day after that.

Not so in the NFL. It is a very small job market and there are rules against leaving one company(franchise) for another. More direct comparisons to slavery of any sort for people of any color is that the "merchandise" is poked prodded and examined before drafting "purchasing" the employee. They make you run, jump, lift and that's just the stuff that we see at the "combine". Behind closed doors these guys are stripped naked and examined like animals. Again potential NFL players of ALL RACES. Think about how announcers and scouts discuss NFL candidates and players. It's like they are describing horses or bulls or something. They even make statements like "he comes from good stock" for instance when Clay Mathews was running around at the combine. He's not a beast of burden.

Peterson WAS stupid for making the comment because most people can't get past the sensationalism of the statement and even remotely consider the similarities he might be referring to. Again not a racist statement.

I don't think it has anything to do with the color of one's skin. It's a cultural thing......Rose and Hill both have the same skin color. Both of them are son's of excellent professional athletes. Rose's was Jimmy Walker, a hard partying Detroit Piston, who died very young from some self-destructive cause and never played a part in Jalen's life. Jimmy's backcourt partner, Dave Bing (Cuse great and now mayor of Detroit) was more of a father to Jalen than Jimmy.

Grant Hill's father, Calvin, was there to raise Grant and of course was shown at all the games. So, this is an Uncle Tom, because he came from a two parent family, who were intelligent, hard working and cared about their kids.

I figured my man, Jason Whitlock, would have something to say about this and I just read this:

I had no idea the Fab Five never even won their conference!

Nice piece by Whitlock but in mentioning the impact that John Thompson and Georgetown had on college basketball, I would have liked to have seen at least a mention of Don Haskins and Texas Western University (now UTEP) and their 1966 NCAA Championship. Their win over Kentucky was a truly transcendent moment in college basketball.

GO BILLS!!!

Am I the only one that is reading his quote as not really about NFL Players vs. the League or a racial thing, but a Classicism thing? He's saying we're ALL slaves to the man - there is a class of super wealthy elite that control most of the worlds wealth, the rest of us break our humps to make the super rich, super richer.

Not that I'm necessarily buying the "slave" comparison, but it seems me he was talking broader than just the NFL...

Am I the only one that is reading his quote as not really about NFL Players vs. the League or a racial thing, but a Classicism thing? He's saying we're ALL slaves to the man - there is a class of super wealthy elite that control most of the worlds wealth, the rest of us break our humps to make the super rich, super richer.

Not that I'm necessarily buying the "slave" comparison, but it seems me he was talking broader than just the NFL...

NO WAY!!! HE MADE A RACIST STATEMENT AND HE IS A WHINY BLACK MILLIONAIRE!!! Just kidding. At least someone is able to see beyond the sensationalism of the statement and consider what it is he might be talking about. We (people of all races with less money) ARE in many ways slaves to the man (people of all races with a whole lot of money). Yes we get paid and yes we can change jobs. THAT is not the issue. The issue is that we HAVE TO WORK. What if you decided NOT to work???? How free are you then? The government comes in and takes everything you own because you aren't paying taxes on it and you become a bum.

Within some of our lifetimes there was no property or income taxes. If you wanted you could move out west. Raise your own livestock. Grow your own vegetables and LIVE FREE! Try to do that now. Can't be done. We HAVE to work. As modern day slaves we all just have the choice of WHERE.

Hrm...last I knew there were people of many ethnicities playing football? Who said Adrian Peterson's statement was referring to black people????? If someone is making this a racial statement that someone needs to take a look at themselves.

This type of statement for joe six pack that can't see farther than his own biases and prejudices is always very controversial. If I had to guess he is referring to contracts and the inability to switch jobs within his field like anyone else. If you work for McDonalds you can decide not to show up at work the next day and get a job with Burger King and make the same money. You could even take a promotion (salary increase) with Wendy's the day after that.

Not so in the NFL. It is a very small job market and there are rules against leaving one company(franchise) for another. More direct comparisons to slavery of any sort for people of any color is that the "merchandise" is poked prodded and examined before drafting "purchasing" the employee. They make you run, jump, lift and that's just the stuff that we see at the "combine". Behind closed doors these guys are stripped naked and examined like animals. Again potential NFL players of ALL RACES. Think about how announcers and scouts discuss NFL candidates and players. It's like they are describing horses or bulls or something. They even make statements like "he comes from good stock" for instance when Clay Mathews was running around at the combine. He's not a beast of burden.

Peterson WAS stupid for making the comment because most people can't get past the sensationalism of the statement and even remotely consider the similarities he might be referring to. Again not a racist statement.

One problem, the players collectively agreed to play under this set of rules. So if those rules do in fact suck, maybe they need to start questioning that "union" that they blindly support and not just the owners.

Yes, if you work at "McDonalds" for minimum wage, one of the perks is that you can leave when you want to take a better job.

However, there are MANY of us that work for companies at a "normal" salary that have signed employment agreements with non-compete clauses. PLENTY of regular working folk are unable to jump ship whenever they want to and go work for a competitor.

If I want to get out of this field, I can do that. And if the players want to do something other than play football, they have that option as well. But as long as I want to be in this industry, and as long as they want to get paid millions to play football... thems the breaks. You work for who you signed up with.

Of course, I could quit and wait out the non-compete clause.

And with regards to the way the players are "examined"... they are interviewing to be a professional athlete. Their body is their livelihood. When someone applies for a job at Google, they get put through an onslaught of MENTAL interviews and questions, because their mind is their livelihood. If they dont like being physically examined and inspected, they can go into a field that is mentally focused instead.

Good luck making NFL money elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Point is, even without the racial aspect (which I never took into account) it is a completely ridiculous and selfcentered statement. It shows how truly OUT OF TOUCH and SPOILED these players really are. To equate making $10mil/year for working out with your friends, to SLAVERY. TO SLAVERY?!?! REALLY?!? Dude is out of his mind. He should be ashamed. Black civil rights leaders should be ashamed of him as well.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Full backpedal or reasonable explanation?