What would upset you more?

they will be figuring out if newton is coachable and can learn the nfl game. if they think he can, he will be the pick. i am not sure i would agree with it, but if it happends i HOPE he sits on the bench for 2-3 years and learns. too many good prospects are not groomed properly and fail.

because of his upside would rather have cam then von miller. as somebody said before, I hope they either go DL or id a franchise qb. anything else will be a waste

While it would be nice to have the option of letting him sit that long, I think thered be some fan (and owner) backlash. I think Gailey can not only get him "ready enough" within a year, but Chan is also smart enough to mold his offense around Newton. So he can put Cam in a position to succeed from the beginning.

More importantly, Fitz is only under contract for 2011, so we have 1 guaranteed season that Cam can sit. I think 1 year should be enough. It will just be interesting to see what we do with Fitz (extend him or let him walk).

Edited by DrDankenstein

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say either would upset me, really, since I think both players have an enormous amount of natural talent.

If we're talking about how I'd feel on draft day, then I suppose I'd be a bit happier with Miller, as I think I trust him to become a better football player sooner than Newton. I think he needs less work to come in and be effective rushing the passer than Newton needs to lead a winning offense.

Now, I think Newton probably has more natural football ability, but I have no idea if it'll translate to the field.

Guess that's kind of a copout, huh?

1. Defense
  2. Offense

They did not bring in Wannstedt so they can set him up to fail. The defense will be the focus and likely the Bill's first pick. Anyone thinking a QB will be taken with their first pick so he can sit on the bench, needs to go seek out professional help.

Edited by Rockinon

I wouldn't draft Newton unless it was the third round. He never took a snap under center. Major red flag. As is the parade of agents and his entourage. He was scandalous in college, and could be the next JeMarcus Russell.

Miller on the other hand is the premier OLB and would fill a huge need. Lord knows this team needs pass rushers.

Miller = good sense, Newton = major gamble

I keep seeing people say this...Oh if only I believed it to be true... After watching the Bills FO make picks for the last 10 years, there is no reason why they can't blow it once again.

Personally I think Newton has more upside, but more risk as well. If we go with a defensive guy I'd rather go with one of the BIGGER, STRONGER, linemen. Dareus, Jordan, or maybe Quinn over Miller.

Miller may be good and athletic, but he probably wouldn't do much better than Maybin if we don't add QUALITY BIG GUYS to our D first.

Yeah they could be, but there have been other guys "loaded with talent" that have been taken in the past...

Mike Williams (thought to be a sure thing at #4), Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller (yeah I know, its early), Aaron Maybin, JP Losman, John McCargo...

We (hopefully) won't pick at #3 very often, taking the right guy is a huge deal.

Also, I wouldn't call Moats a "fricken stud". He couldn't make on the field early in the year because he was awful against the run and in coverage. Later in the year he showed some ability on PURE PASSING downs. I like the guy dont get me wrong, but he's no starter.

Nix (with the exception of Spiller....and yeah its Waaaaay early) had nothing to do with those other guys being picked. I know that people like to jump on the guy thats currently in the GM seat for past mistakes but its kinda unfair.....Nix knows what he is doing.

There was a common theme last year with all of our newly drafted guys......Troupe, Carrington, Moates, Spiller they all fell under the same catagory.......Chan didn't play them right out the gate and they sat behinder veteran guys.....and every single one of these players improved as the season went on. I think that every single one of these players are also starting material.......

Nix (with the exception of Spiller....and yeah its Waaaaay early and Mayin . . .and no its not early to call him a bust.) had nothing to do with those other guys being picked. I know that people like to jump on the guy thats currently in the GM seat for past mistakes but its kinda unfair.....Nix knows what he is doing.

There was a common theme last year with all of our newly drafted guys......Troupe, Carrington, Moates, Spiller they all fell under the same catagory.......Chan didn't play them right out the gate and they sat behinder veteran guys.....and every single one of these players improved as the season went on. I think that every single one of these players are also starting material.......

Fixed

Nix (with the exception of Spiller....and yeah its Waaaaay early) had nothing to do with those other guys being picked. I know that people like to jump on the guy thats currently in the GM seat for past mistakes but its kinda unfair.....Nix knows what he is doing.

Wasn't Spiller the starting RB week 1? And no, he didn't improve as the season went on (IMO).

For me it would be Newton. I dont like the fact that our 3rd overall pick would be sitting on the bench for a year. I think the Bills need to draft someone that can come and help out right away.

Newton.

He's too much of a risk and has bust written all over him. I want immediate impact from our # 3.I'm crossing my fingers for Dareus , but it looks like he'll be gone before we pick.

Lets continue on with Fitz and if he proves his critics right , then at least we may have a shot at Luck next year.

Wasn't Spiller the starting RB week 1? And no, he didn't improve as the season went on (IMO).

Marshawn Lynch was the starting RB for the first few weeks, then Fred Jackson, I don't think Spiller started a game all year.

Marshawn Lynch was the starting RB for the first few weeks, then Fred Jackson, I don't think Spiller started a game all year.

He was the starter for the Miami game. Lynch was next then Freddy

We're all wrong! I remember it like Hindsight. Freddy was injured in the preseason...anyway I just looked up the stats and here's the first play of the game:

1st-10-Buf25 Incomplete Pass Trent Edwards Pass Incomplete to Fred Jackson

I do remember that Spiller was named the starter, perhaps both he and Freddy were in on the opening play. The second play was an incomplete pass to Spiller followed by an Edwards sack.

Damn, I do miss Edwards.

We're all wrong! I remember it like Hindsight. Freddy was injured in the preseason...anyway I just looked up the stats and here's the first play of the game:

1st-10-Buf25 Incomplete Pass Trent Edwards Pass Incomplete to Fred Jackson

I do remember that Spiller was named the starter, perhaps both he and Freddy were in on the opening play. The second play was an incomplete pass to Spiller followed by an Edwards sack.

Damn, I do miss Edwards.

Spiller and jackson were both in

On September 8, Spiller was given the nod for the starting running back position on the Bills roster, over veterans Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson for the 2010 season.

I wouldn't draft Newton unless it was the third round. He never took a snap under center. Major red flag. As is the parade of agents and his entourage. He was scandalous in college, and could be the next JeMarcus Russell.

Miller on the other hand is the premier OLB and would fill a huge need. Lord knows this team needs pass rushers.

Miller = good sense, Newton = major gamble

Can we please stop with the Russell comparison. Oh wait. They are both black & played in SEC. Thus, they are the same player. :doh:

Russell was fat in college. He rushed for less than 100 yards in his college career. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=146755

People need to stop pretending they are these qb gurus. No one knows crap. It's the reason the position may be the single hardest to predict in all of sports.

I don't know if Newton will succeed. What I do know is he had one of the most dominating seasons EVER in college football in the best conference in the sport. The Bills, as bad as they have been, haven't had this high of a pick since Bruce Smith. If the believe Newton is a franchise qb, you run up to the podium if he is there.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances giving our coach (who works wonders with borderline NFL qbs) an elite talent to work with than take a "safe" pick.

Top 3 picks need to be homeruns, not singles. Plus, if you're gonna strike out, go down swinging. We need a franchise changer.

For me it would be Newton. I dont like the fact that our 3rd overall pick would be sitting on the bench for a year. I think the Bills need to draft someone that can come and help out right away.

They will have to draft a QB eventually and with the way the college game uses the spread, more than likely, that QB will have to ride the bench for a while. We can take

the medicine now or take it later, but we will have to take it eventually.

What would disappoint me the most IS NOT PICKING PETERSON with the 3rd pick. The kid is very special. Stud on tape a stud at the combine. We could use a very special player like this to help carry us in the future. A player people talk about. In the most positive of ways. I agree with an earlier poster who said that Von Miller is not as good as Arthur Moats. Or the same player. Do not take a question mark at #3 take a sure thing.

They will have to draft a QB eventually and with the way the college game uses the spread, more than likely, that QB will have to ride the bench for a while. We can take

the medicine now or take it later, but we will have to take it eventually.

agreed. i also dont understand the need to play now argument. are we this great team, that with the addition of somekey draft pick suddenly be excellent. i am not saying this is the case, but say you have the opportunity to draft your franchise qb for the next 10 years, but he has to sit on the bench for a few seasons. you are telling me you pass because he isnt playing immediately on a bad team

What would disappoint me the most IS NOT PICKING PETERSON with the 3rd pick. The kid is very special. Stud on tape a stud at the combine. We could use a very special player like this to help carry us in the future. A player people talk about. In the most positive of ways. I agree with an earlier poster who said that Von Miller is not as good as Arthur Moats. Or the same player. Do not take a question mark at #3 take a sure thing.

what position does he play as a pro, corner or safety?

also, i think its short sighted to say cam sits but miller wouldnt. if merriman is healthy, id assume its his job to lose as far as getting after the passer. moats also showed some talent rushing, but issues against the run, much like miller. miller could be on the bench day one. though i think miller is better than moats, day 1 it might not be true.

if chan and nix will bet their careers on cam newton, i will have some faith in that pick. theres no one else that will define those two men, and because of that, i think taking a leap on newton speaks volumes to what 2 guys who have a very positive history with qbs think. i dont pretend to know what cam will be at the next level, but he is clearly the first player that will need to be ruled out.

C'mon IF we pick a QB 3rd overall he's not sitting on the bench for a year. You don't pick a guy that high to sit him. I believe the last time that happened was Carson Palmer a decade ago. You're not going to pay a QB picked 3rd the kind of money he'll get to ride the bench all year.

Fitzpatrick might be the starter at the beginning of the year but he won't be for long.