What would upset you more?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller. I think they'll both be busts, but I really think Miller would flop on this defense. He needs to be on a defense where the defensive linemen can overpower the offensive line and keep those big blockers off of him.

any QB @ 3# will have me thinking we just set ourselves back another 5 years

+1 I think anyone not wanting to draft Miller must think he is only a 3-4 rush OLB. I personally thing he can play inside in the 3-4 and also can play OLB in a 4-3. Given that we are going to run the hybrid and probably be in a lot more 4-3 than people realize, I think it's mandatory that the guy we draft at 3 (if on defense) fits into both. Dareus can do it, and Miller can do it. Peterson would also work. Bowers may work.

As far as QBs, I'm just not interested in any of them at #3. It doesn't make sense to me to hire a coach who can turn almost any QB into a good player as your head coach / OC and then draft a QB so high. Let people like John Fox or Marvin Lewis, defensive coaches who can't coach QBs out of a paper bag, do that sort of thing.

Edited by FightClub

Miller. I don’t see his pass rush translating to the NFL and he will be a huge target in the run game. We would have a great chance to break the NFL record for rush yards allowed in a season with him in there next year. Newton at least would be more exciting. I think Gailey wants to run a spread offense which would be cool to see, and I think Newton would thrive in that type of O. If they try to make Newton a pocket passer then we are up shiits creek.

I highly highly doubt that Miller is rated high enough to go in the top 3, and I doubt Nix reaches with the pick. Newton and Peterson are higher on the bills board I bet. I assume one of the stud DL players is too. Even if you think Von Miller is a stud I could see 8-10 players ranked above him.

I would be extremely disappointed with either pick. I would rather us draft Peterson than either of those guys. Newton will not be a "Franchise QB" in the NFL and I think Miller isn't even as good as Moats.

For me it would be Newton. I dont like the fact that our 3rd overall pick would be sitting on the bench for a year. I think the Bills need to draft someone that can come and help out right away.

Agreed. This team has sooo many problems. I believe we'll draft Peterson if the 2 big DL are drafted first. I say build your OL and DL this season, then address QB Next year. Just get some journeymen to back up Fitz... I say go hard for Andrew Luck in 2012 to address the QB situation.

My top preference if for the Bills to show they are serious about building a team the correct way, and choose Defensive Line at #3.

If they don't go that route, then I'd hope they identified a franchise QB and take him (Be it Newton or whoever, I do prefer Newton). If we take a QB at #3, I will trust that Buddy and Chan did their homework and feel like this is "the guy".

Taking a CB #3 overall is "typical Bills". Yes, it's kinda a need (IF we dont re-sign our FAs. Where have I heard this before??). But it's not a position that a team in the middle of a rebuild plan should be drafting at #3 overall.

I also would not go with an overrated, undersized, one-move OLB who doesnt even project to play the position you'd hope he would. Even if Miller does "well", he'll never live up to the hype of #3 overall. See: Donte Whitner. To answer the OP's question, Id be more disappointed with drafting Miller.

So IMO:

1. DL

2. QB.... IF the DLs we liked are gone, and IF they identify a franchise QB.

distant 3. everything and everyone else.

Agreed. This team has sooo many problems. I believe we'll draft Peterson if the 2 big DL are drafted first. I say build your OL and DL this season, then address QB Next year. Just get some journeymen to back up Fitz... I say go hard for Andrew Luck in 2012 to address the QB situation.

It's not that easy to "address QB next year". Sometimes you have to take the opportunity of having your pick of any QB in the nation and do it. That scenario doesn't come often. Trust me the Panthers are thinking the same thing. Go hard after Luck next year? How would you go hard after him if someone that needs a QB is drafting before you? Unless your willing to really dig a hole for yourself. Lastly how do you suggest we build our OL and DL with the 3rd pick in the first round? Yeah you can't, it's just one pick. If we draft a QB for the one millionth time, that doesn't mean we are turning our back on other needs, and there's rounds 2-7 and free agency.

My top preference if for the Bills to show they are serious about building a team the correct way, and choose Defensive Line at #3.

If they don't go that route, then I'd hope they identified a franchise QB and take him (Be it Newton or whoever, I do prefer Newton). If we take a QB at #3, I will trust that Buddy and Chan did their homework and feel like this is "the guy".

Taking a CB #3 overall is "typical Bills". Yes, it's kinda a need (IF we dont re-sign our FAs. Where have I heard this before??). But it's not a position that a team in the middle of a rebuild plan should be drafting at #3 overall.

I also would not go with an overrated, undersized, one-move OLB who doesnt even project to play the position you'd hope he would. Even if Miller does "well", he'll never live up to the hype of #3 overall. See: Donte Whitner. To answer the OP's question, Id be more disappointed with drafting Miller.

So IMO:

1. DL

2. QB.... IF the DLs we liked are gone, and IF they identify a franchise QB.

distant 3. everything and everyone else.

So you would rather Bowers, Ayers or Fairley before Newton?

It's not that easy to "address QB next year". Sometimes you have to take the opportunity of having your pick of any QB in the nation and do it. That scenario doesn't come often. Trust me the Panthers are thinking the same thing. Go hard after Luck next year? How would you go hard after him if someone that needs a QB is drafting before you? Unless your willing to really dig a hole for yourself. Lastly how do you suggest we build our OL and DL with the 3rd pick in the first round? Yeah you can't, it's just one pick. If we draft a QB for the one millionth time, that doesn't mean we are turning our back on other needs, and there's rounds 2-7 and free agency.

Agreed. No GM in their right mind is considering "next year" in their plan. You MUST deal with the reality of right now. And right now the reality is: "the Bills have the #3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, and here is the group of players you can choose from".

You cant plan on maybe taking a guy next year, IF he doesnt get injured, and IF he doesnt have an off year, and IF we are in the perfect position to take him. Thats just bad planning.

So you would rather Bowers, Ayers or Fairley before Newton?

Im a Newton fan, but the main questions on Newton can not be answered in throwing drills, they will be answered in the multiple interviews. And since we are not privy to what happens in those interviews, based on the limited information we fans have, I have to build my board safely as:

1. Dareus

2. Fairley

3. Bowers

4. Quinn

*Wildcard* Newton

Now, IF I knew what Buddy knows, and if they like Newton, then he immediately jumps to #1. Unfortunately, us civilians (fans) arent provided with the information to form a sound opinion either way. Every prospect is a guess, but we (the fans) are guessing most on Newton. If the Bills pick Newton #3, then I will assume he did very well in the interviews and trust in Buddy/Chan and be happy with the pick.

Also, not sure where Ayers came in. Id take him in the 2nd round though!

Edited by DrDankenstein

The Good news, is that the its really going to be hard to screw this pick up.

I think there is a ton of LB potential in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th round (Many of the best LBs in the league were drafted after the 1st.)

I think Cam Newton in Buffalo under Gailey is one of the surest places that Newton will be successful in the NFL. The Problem is can Gailey last the 3-4 more years it would take to translate Newton's potential into wins. I don't trust this organization to have patience.

I wouldn't be upset with either.

I would be a little upset with Patrick Peterson, just because; really? Another DB.

I would think that the Big Athletic D-Lineman that are hard to find later in the draft would be better pick with #3 but it wouldn't be an Aaron Maybin pick when Brian Orakpo was on the board. I remember the exact time and place, I freaked out on that pick. My Wife thought someone died.

(Where were you when the Bills picked Maybin?)

I can't imagine having a reaction like that this draft day, but the Bills always find away . . .

Edited by Why So Serious?

I can only post on what I hope the Bills do with their first pick at the #3 slot. Here is my pecking order for the top 3 because we'll be guaranteed to get one of them.

A.) DE Quinn

B.) DT Dareus

C.) CB Peterson

I'm really getting concerned that Nix/Gailey are going to go after Newton in a big way, I don't want some hotdog QB with our first pick. I'm happy with Fitzpatrick until we get the rest of the team up to speed in other areas. With that being said I'd like to see us take a flyer on a developemental QB in the 2nd rd if that's what they think is neccessary for upgrading the QB position.

You guys are so funny

BOTH of those players are loaded with talent......BOTH of those players could end up being studs

I think people get things so twisted this time of year.....if its not the guy THEY want then its a total failure.....

Let the draft evaluators do their jobs. I trust Nix in this area. It could be a situation where they take a guy you dont want in the first but they know there is talent later in the draft that can develop into starters.....look at Moates for christ sake that kid is a fricken stud!

The Good news, is that the its really going to be hard to screw this pick up.

I keep seeing people say this...Oh if only I believed it to be true... After watching the Bills FO make picks for the last 10 years, there is no reason why they can't blow it once again.

Personally I think Newton has more upside, but more risk as well. If we go with a defensive guy I'd rather go with one of the BIGGER, STRONGER, linemen. Dareus, Jordan, or maybe Quinn over Miller.

Miller may be good and athletic, but he probably wouldn't do much better than Maybin if we don't add QUALITY BIG GUYS to our D first.

You guys are so funny

BOTH of those players are loaded with talent......BOTH of those players could end up being studs

I think people get things so twisted this time of year.....if its not the guy THEY want then its a total failure.....

Let the draft evaluators do their jobs. I trust Nix in this area. It could be a situation where they take a guy you dont want in the first but they know there is talent later in the draft that can develop into starters.....look at Moates for christ sake that kid is a fricken stud!

Yeah they could be, but there have been other guys "loaded with talent" that have been taken in the past...

Mike Williams (thought to be a sure thing at #4), Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller (yeah I know, its early), Aaron Maybin, JP Losman, John McCargo...

We (hopefully) won't pick at #3 very often, taking the right guy is a huge deal.

Also, I wouldn't call Moats a "fricken stud". He couldn't make on the field early in the year because he was awful against the run and in coverage. Later in the year he showed some ability on PURE PASSING downs. I like the guy dont get me wrong, but he's no starter.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm of the belief, maybe misplaced, that all of the following players would be good picks at 3, and as long as they got someone from this list I'd be happy and expect more from them than the Bills have gotten in a LONG time from a first round draft pick.

Cam Newton

Dareus

Fairley

Peterson

Quinn

AJ Green

Von Miller

I think Cam is a HUGE risk, and onviously won't contribute this year (if they do the right thing and let him sit), but his upside is just so great I'd be willing to accpet the risk. All the rest of these guys come in from day one and contribute and I think all of these guys could be franchise guys at their positions.

As for Von, I think he might not be a world beater, but he will be all Maybin was supposed to be and then some in a 3-4 scheme.

they will be figuring out if newton is coachable and can learn the nfl game. if they think he can, he will be the pick. i am not sure i would agree with it, but if it happends i HOPE he sits on the bench for 2-3 years and learns. too many good prospects are not groomed properly and fail.

because of his upside would rather have cam then von miller. as somebody said before, I hope they either go DL or id a franchise qb. anything else will be a waste