If Peterson falls to our pick

If Peterson is available  

130 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do>

• Pick him, best player availble.
    • Trade the spot to a team that would pick him for multiple picks.
    • just take another player.

I think that if Patrick Peterson fall to the Bills they should trade the pick to a team that would want him. I think that the Dallas Cowbows would trade. Jerry Jones loves to trade and would want the best one player in the draft. The Bill could end up with the good good bunch of picks and draft like this.

1.(9th) Von Miller OLB. He falls to Bills because of team needs ahead of him. WOW! Are luck has changed.

2.(34th) Akeem Ayers ILB. Holy cow Bills defense starting to look pretty good.

2.(40th from Dallas) Jake Locker QB. Would of been our 1st round pick last year. Could be a bust, but maybe not.

3.(68th) Chris Hairston OT. Blocked for Spiller at Clemson and hopefully be the OT this team needs.

4.(99th) Lance Kendricks TE. Falls to fourth because run on defense in early rounds.

4.(109th from Dallas) Shareece Wright CB. Need depth at position and good value at this spot

4.(121st from Seatle) Dom Decicco SS. Played at Pitt for Wanny.

5.(130th) Lawrence Guy DE. 3-4 Defense End.

6.(164st) Anthony Gray NT. Need Depth on the line.

7.(195th) Eddie Jones OLB. Depth at position.

7.(209th from Dallas) Stevan Ridley RB. Depth at position. Jackson is not the youngest guy.

I think that if Patrick Peterson fall to the Bills they should trade the pick to a team that would want him. I think that the Dallas Cowbows would trade. Jerry Jones loves to trade and would want the best one player in the draft. The Bill could end up with the good good bunch of picks and draft like this.

1.(9th) Von Miller OLB. He falls to Bills because of team needs ahead of him. WOW! Are luck has changed.

2.(34th) Akeem Ayers ILB. Holy cow Bills defense starting to look pretty good.

2.(40th from Dallas) Jake Locker QB. Would of been our 1st round pick last year. Could be a bust, but maybe not.

3.(68th) Chris Hairston OT. Blocked for Spiller at Clemson and hopefully be the OT this team needs.

4.(99th) Lance Kendricks TE. Falls to fourth because run on defense in early rounds.

4.(109th from Dallas) Shareece Wright CB. Need depth at position and good value at this spot

4.(121st from Seatle) Dom Decicco SS. Played at Pitt for Wanny.

5.(130th) Lawrence Guy DE. 3-4 Defense End.

6.(164st) Anthony Gray NT. Need Depth on the line.

7.(195th) Eddie Jones OLB. Depth at position.

7.(209th from Dallas) Stevan Ridley RB. Depth at position. Jackson is not the youngest guy.

And maybe we can take Blaine Gabbert in the 5th and AJ Green in the 6th.

DBs are very rarely taken in the Top5 and to expect a team to essential trade a 1st and 2nd and possibly an additional pick to move up, meaning a franchise would be using 3/7 picks to draft One DB is a giant stretch.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Who in their right mind would take Peterson over trading down and a boatload of picks? I mean if you wanted to sit put and grab Dareus or Fairley that’s one thing, but Peterson over one of those guys or a trade down? That is exactly whats wrong with the Bills – they think like those fans do!

DBs are very rarely taken in the Top5 and to expect a team to essential trade a 1st and 2nd and possibly an additional pick to move up, meaning a franchise would be using 3/7 picks to draft One DB is a giant stretch.

Maybe, but Jerry Jones is the guy who would stretch.

Who in their right mind would take Peterson over trading down and a boatload of picks? I mean if you wanted to sit put and grab Dareus or Fairley that’s one thing, but Peterson over one of those guys or a trade down? That is exactly whats wrong with the Bills – they think like those fans do!

Ain't it the truth!

This guy returns kicks. So I can totally see the Bills drafting him. :bag:

I have no idea why the NFL perception of drafting a CB with the #1 overall is not a good pick... that might have been the case in years past ....but, this is a different league now, and it is dominated by the best passing teams. So why not draft the best defensive player in the draft, even if he is a CB?

Some of the current highest paid players in the NFL are QB's-DE-LT's-DT's and CB's, in that order. That order might change once a team makes an offer to Nnamdi Asomugha who is an URFA, the guy was set to make 16.8 million this year before the Raiders voided his contract This man is noted for being the premier cover corner in the NFL, and the best defensive free agent on the market, he also didn't allow a single TD pass to be thrown against him last season. There are like 3 very good cover corners Champ Bailey-Asomugha-Darrelle Revis, the Bills could use one IMO

Peterson is 6ft 219 lbs and runs a 4.3 40, which is unheard of for a CB to be that big, and that fast!

I know I'm being particular, but (based on the draft value chart) it would likely take Dallas' 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and their 5th round pick to make this a fair trade. That being said...hell yes I would trade back to #9 to acquire all of those additional picks! What rebuilding team wouldn't make that deal in a heartbeat!?!?

Now that I think about it....I doubt any team covets Patrick Peterson to the extent that they would give away their entire draft for him. I think the same could be said for any other player in this draft. We're going to pick at #3.

If Peterson falls to 3 (and he very well might) I think there is the option of taking a franchise level cb (not our greatest need) or of shopping a VERY attractive pick. It would be hard to screw this up. That being said we have some history of screwing up.

I know I'm being particular, but (based on the draft value chart) it would likely take Dallas' 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and their 5th round pick to make this a fair trade. That being said...hell yes I would trade back to #9 to acquire all of those additional picks! What rebuilding team wouldn't make that deal in a heartbeat!?!?

Now that I think about it....I doubt any team covets Patrick Peterson to the extent that they would give away their entire draft for him. I think the same could be said for any other player in this draft. We're going to pick at #3.

I'm not a believer in the "NFL draft pick value" system. Whoever drew it up has waaaay too much time on their hands...and IMO, is absolutely clueless. Whoever thinks that trading up 6 spots in te draft is worth a 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th rounder doesn't know jack. Give me a top ten pick and an additional 2 rounder and we call it even. If nix and co are trying to get equal "value" according to some stupid chart, we will be picking at 3 because its not gonna happen, imo

I'm not a believer in the "NFL draft pick value" system. Whoever drew it up has waaaay too much time on their hands...and IMO, is absolutely clueless. t even.

Jimmy Johnson.

Barring any kind of a trade down if Peterson falls to us at #3 then I think that we have to give it a very strong consideration. Altough I've been a big advocate for us to take Robert Quinn (hopefully he gives us some Bruce Smith type results) at #3, having the opportunity to take maybe the premiere player of the draft is not a hateful position to be in. He's not a bad choice, just not a sexy one. A team, especially ours, can never go wrong by taking a blue chip playmaker. I would never think that taking the best player available at your slot would be a wrong thing. Just my opinion.

Edited by Tipster19

This guy returns kicks. So I can totally see the Bills drafting him. :bag:

Nolan Nawrocki says we'd take him. He's been picking our drafting picks accurately since Whitner, so I say go with it...

It is mind blowing to me that Bills fans want us to draft a CB with pick #3! Seriously we were dead last in the nfl against the run last year- and you want to draft a CB?!?! When was the last time we got a CB draft pick right? (or a S for that matter)? Peterson is hardly can't miss and we need instant help with the #3 selection. For me if the selection is anyone besides Green, Dareous, Or Von Miller this draft would be yet another colossal failure

I'm not a believer in the "NFL draft pick value" system. Whoever drew it up has waaaay too much time on their hands...and IMO, is absolutely clueless. Whoever thinks that trading up 6 spots in te draft is worth a 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th rounder doesn't know jack. Give me a top ten pick and an additional 2 rounder and we call it even. If nix and co are trying to get equal "value" according to some stupid chart, we will be picking at 3 because its not gonna happen, imo

Well then it's a good thing that you're not an NFL General Manager. Whether you think the "NFL draft pick value" chart is silly or not, there is a HUGE difference between picking at #3 and picking at #9. This difference cannot be compensated for by simply adding a 2nd round pick. If it were as simple as this, then teams would be more apt to trade up into the top 5. Truth is...it very rarely happens.

If the Bills traded back to #9, and only got an additional 2nd rounder as compensation, Buddy Nix would be burned at the stake.

It is mind blowing to me that Bills fans want us to draft a CB with pick #3! Seriously we were dead last in the nfl against the run last year- and you want to draft a CB?!?!

[/b]

he's just not ANY CB. The guy is huge for a CB with blazing speed. He allow us to go into nickel packages earlier in games and give us much needed run support.

If we did select Peterson with our first pick then I would want to scrap the whole "developemental QB in the 2nd rd" theory and go DL in the 2nd. Once again just my opinion.

he's just not ANY CB. The guy is huge for a CB with blazing speed. He allow us to go into nickel packages earlier in games and give us much needed run support.

If we did select Peterson with our first pick then I would want to scrap the whole "developemental QB in the 2nd rd" theory and go DL in the 2nd. Once again just my opinion.

They did something similar in 2006. It resulted in losing football games. Then they drafted McKelvin early, and after that they used an early second round pick on Byrd. The team selecting after us picked up a first round pick for trading down. These moves also resulted in losing football games.

If you like losing football games, I would say to hope for Peterson or Green. If winning is your thing, we need to get WAY stronger on the lines and get a qb.

could you grab Peterson sure if you're going to get Cullen Jenkins and Marcus Spears in FA, if you can get the right players in FA before the draft then the Bills have such a lack of talent they could really go anywhere in the draft and make sense- but the Bills have to lock up two decent DEs if they seriously want to be able to play defense through 18 games.

he's just not ANY small CB. The guy is huge for a CB with blazing speeda workout warrior. He might allow us to go into nickel packages earlier in games and even though he has yet to display it, he just might give us much needed run support.

fixed

the reason we've been so terrible for so long is the fact that we've drafted based on need for many of our past drafts (whitner, losman, maybin, mckelvin) where we should have just drafted the best players. Peterson is widely regarded as being the best player in this draft. If we can draft the best player in the draft at #3, I say git er done Buddy!

the bills have exactly zero players on D that opposing coaches have to game plan for (Merriman maybe if he returns to form) so I say the more talent the better. it's not the end of the world if we draft him, this team needs a lot of talent before we can compete.

Nolan Nawrocki says we'd take him. He's been picking our drafting picks accurately since Whitner, so I say go with it...

And we see how that's turned out....

I like peterson, would hate it if we drafted him, even though i prefer other. but to take him because some guy has been accurate picking our picks in the past, especially when theyve been atrocious, is something I'd probably steer away from doing.

could you grab Peterson sure if you're going to get Cullen Jenkins and Marcus Spears in FA, if you can get the right players in FA before the draft then the Bills have such a lack of talent they could really go anywhere in the draft and make sense- but the Bills have to lock up two decent DEs if they seriously want to be able to play defense through 18 games.

lol...get both of them. Now that's funny

I have no idea why the NFL perception of drafting a CB with the #1 overall is not a good pick... that might have been the case in years past ....but, this is a different league now, and it is dominated by the best passing teams. So why not draft the best defensive player in the draft, even if he is a CB?

Some of the current highest paid players in the NFL are QB's-DE-LT's-DT's and CB's, in that order. That order might change once a team makes an offer to Nnamdi Asomugha who is an URFA, the guy was set to make 16.8 million this year before the Raiders voided his contract This man is noted for being the premier cover corner in the NFL, and the best defensive free agent on the market, he also didn't allow a single TD pass to be thrown against him last season. There are like 3 very good cover corners Champ Bailey-Asomugha-Darrelle Revis, the Bills could use one IMO

Peterson is 6ft 219 lbs and runs a 4.3 40, which is unheard of for a CB to be that big, and that fast!

I understand your logic. But there are two problems--three, really--that I can see with taking Peterson 3rd overall.

• The biggest and most glaring problem is that the Bills have consistently shown they'll let their DBs with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment leave via free agency. Antoine Winfield. Nate Clements. Jabari Greer. And now (probably) Donte Whitner. If the Bills have decided to do that there is no justification for even considering a DB with a first round pick. None. You use first round picks on guys you expect to be with you a long time, and on those guys only.
  • If you have one elite cover guy + a bunch of decent coverage guys, the QB will just throw it to some receiver not covered by your one elite guy. Conversely, if you have one elite pass rusher + a bunch of decent front-7 players, that one elite pass rusher can create pressure on his own.
  • I've seen serious questions raised about whether Peterson will live up to his billing.

If I felt 100% sure that Peterson would be the next Revis, and (more importantly) if I felt 100% sure he'd be the next Revis for the Buffalo Bills over the course of his career if we were to pick him, then I'd view picking him in a much more favorable light than I do now. But my current assumption is that if we were to pick him, we'd basically be serving as a farm league team for the Vikings or 49ers or Saints or whichever other team needed a CB when Peterson's rookie contract expired.

But even if Peterson was going to play his whole career at a Revis level for the Bills, that does not necessarily mean he'd be the best possible option for this team. It's always good to add a Revis-like CB to your team--but it's even better to add a very good 3-4 DE, OLB, or (best of all) a franchise QB. I don't know if Gabbert will be a franchise QB, or which of the available front-7 players will have Pro Bowl level careers. But if the Bills like one of those guys a lot, I'd like to see them take him over Peterson.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

It is mind blowing to me that Bills fans want us to draft a CB with pick #3! Seriously we were dead last in the nfl against the run last year- and you want to draft a CB?!?! When was the last time we got a CB draft pick right? (or a S for that matter)? Peterson is hardly can't miss and we need instant help with the #3 selection. For me if the selection is anyone besides Green, Dareous, Or Von Miller this draft would be yet another colossal failure

Your first sentence isn't consistent with the 3 you have rated as must haves. If your reason for not picking Peterson(who I don't really want either) is because of us being last in run defense, why do you have Green on your list? He's not going to stop the run.

This guy is the "cleanest" player in this years draft, meaning that he is about the safest pick there is in this years draft. He was the best defensive player in college football last year, and is currently rated as the best defensive player in the draft. Just like Suh was rated the best defensive player in last years draft.

I look at this guy and see the next Steve Atwater-Ronnie Lott-Troy Polamalu....I know the run defense stinks, but a game changing player like Peterson only comes along every once iun a great while, JMHO

if fairley and dareus are gone and peterson is there, i'd probably try to trade down a couple of slots and get Quinn, Von Miller, or Bowers.

I swear if we take a CB with the #3 pick, I will personally drive down to Bills headquarters and throw an egg at it.

lmfao. :thumbsup:

I would take Peterson if the first two picks were Marcell Dareus and Von Miller. Any other combination and I would take the remaining of those two.

In other words, my big board right now for the Bills is

1. Von Miller

2. Marcell Dareus

3. Patrick Peterson

4. DaQuan Bowers

And in fact it's possible Bowers moves ahead of Peterson after pro days.

Edited by FightClub

this is the easiest question ever

if peterson falls to three - TAKE HIM

It is mind blowing to me that Bills fans want us to draft a CB with pick #3! Seriously we were dead last in the nfl against the run last year- and you want to draft a CB?!?! [/b]

- IF you can get an elite cover corner its like putting an extra linebacker on the field because you can allow one of the safeties to forget about helping in coverage

- the bills have depth but no clear #1 at cb. mcgee may never return to full health. florence isnt really starting material. mckelvin looks like hes too dumb to ever be a top corner.

- every dlineman at the top of the draft has question marks. they may turn out to be fine but theres a lot less risk with peterson

- dline is very deep this draft. bills should be able to still get a good one in the second or third round

if peterson is availabe when they pick they should run so fast to take him it will make how fast they ran to pick spiller look like they were casually moseying along

this is the easiest question ever

if peterson falls to three - TAKE HIM

- IF you can get an elite cover corner its like putting an extra linebacker on the field because you can allow one of the safeties to forget about helping in coverage

- the bills have depth but no clear #1 at cb. mcgee may never return to full health. florence isnt really starting material. mckelvin looks like hes too dumb to ever be a top corner.

- every dlineman at the top of the draft has question marks. they may turn out to be fine but theres a lot less risk with peterson

- dline is very deep this draft. bills should be able to still get a good one in the second or third round

if peterson is availabe when they pick they should run so fast to take him it will make how fast they ran to pick spiller look like they were casually moseying along

You might argue that our linebackers and corners are oft injured because we have no one up front to protect them.

Also- I will reiterate, I think he's got the rating because there's no one at the top that scores tds but him and green. He's flashy, and there's no qbs, rbs, only one WR.... If you pull out his kick returns he was merely a good corner that likely has to move to safety. That's a mid first ala Jenkins from Ohio state.

Hows this for a question mark- does he play corner or does he have to move to safety?

Edited by NoSaint

Well then it's a good thing that you're not an NFL General Manager. Whether you think the "NFL draft pick value" chart is silly or not, there is a HUGE difference between picking at #3 and picking at #9. This difference cannot be compensated for by simply adding a 2nd round pick. If it were as simple as this, then teams would be more apt to trade up into the top 5. Truth is...it very rarely happens.

If the Bills traded back to #9, and only got an additional 2nd rounder as compensation, Buddy Nix would be burned at the stake.

Getting an early second rounder plus maybe a mid rounder for moving down just 6 spots is an awesome package. We can still get an impact player at pick 9 and getting say an extra 2nd and 4th or 5th rounder can help the Bills in moving up or filling extra needs. :pirate: