Bills announce uniform change

Peter

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news. Now i hope they can finally get back to wearing dark jersey's and white pants at home again. It looks so much more professional than blue/blue.

For some reason the Bills refuse to put any logo or identifier on their jersey's. I hope they add something to the jersey with this uniform tweak.

Keep an eye out on this thread from this logo site message board. If any picture is leaked, these guys are always first to pounce on it and post it.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=78507&st=0

Actually, no. The owner of the site has requested that photographic leaks not originate there. I gather that there are issues of legality and contract secrecy that many of the users (a number of them professional designers) of the site have to be wary of. If clients know that designers use that site and it's rife with leaks, those designers don't get jobs, and Mr. Creamer doesn't want that situation again. Now, if a picture leaks elsewhere, it'll be there --- but it probably won't originate there.

Verbal descriptions are another thing entirely, and for that, it's still a good thread to watch.

Edited by UConn James

This is great news. Now i hope they can finally get back to wearing dark jersey's and white pants at home again. It looks so much more professional than blue/blue.

For some reason the Bills refuse to put any logo or identifier on their jersey's. I hope they add something to the jersey with this uniform tweak.

Keep an eye out on this thread from this logo site message board. If any picture is leaked, these guys are always first to pounce on it and post it.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=78507&st=0

Yeah - except I started that thread and I can't for a second imagine anyone will have leaked photos and that site will not post them if they get them. There is a strict policy...

Some thoughts:

1. Bang goes any jersey sales between now and the 'fan appreciation event'

2. This is brilliant marketing/PR to get everyone excited about football in otherwise dead time before the combine and the draft.

3. On the other hand - won't it hurt jersey sales so is kinda dumb?

We went from having among the best uniforms in the league to one of the worst. To make matters worse, the Bills have been horrible since they switched to those awful uniforms - so the uniforms (together with being awful) represent a wasted decade of futility. Now, it looks like the Bills are doing the right thing and correcting the blunder that was made. Time will tell. With any luck, we will go back to having among the best uniforms and get the team back on track.

In a nutshell, that is why I am excited.

sorry, to ask. to those who have expressed excitement about this development, why is this exciting?

jw

sorry, to ask. to those who have expressed excitement about this development, why is this exciting?

jw

Well, I'm not SUPER excited about it, but I'm interested for sure. Mainly because there's a lull in activity between now and the draft. Plus, I've never been a fan of the current unis (like a lot of folks here) so I'm curious to see what they do next.

Not sure if that helps ...

They were never going to get me to buy one of those awful jerseys. I have boycotted them since they switched to them.

I have a feeling they sold about as many as they thought they were going to sell.

Some thoughts:

1. Bang goes any jersey sales between now and the 'fan appreciation event'

2. This is brilliant marketing/PR to get everyone excited about football in otherwise dead time before the combine and the draft.

3. On the other hand - won't it hurt jersey sales so is kinda dumb?

jw

Because how your team looks, and therefore how you look when inevitably you buy their gear, is part of the excitement of being a fan. Seeing guys decked out in the teams uniform is evocative of Sundays, of hope, of glory, of excitement. How the uniforms look can go some way to creating your identity and that of the team, and when you are a fan these things just matter.

So that's some of why.

Happy to assist Waw....

They were never going to get me to buy one of those awful jerseys. I have boycotted them since they switched to them.

I have a feeling they sold about as many as they thought they were going to sell.

The latter point may be right. I mean, who are you really excited about on this team?

jw

My guess is given the past 11 years and counting, what else is there to get excited about?

or

[sarcasm]That was the last piece of the puzzle. Who needs to know how to draft worth a **** when you have new uniforms! We are in the next superbowl for sure now![/sarcasm]

I find it remarkable they would waste any time or energy on this.

I see it as a slap in the face to loyal Bills fans expecting them to shell out money not just for seasons, but a few hundred more for this new schlock. They have no shame in my opinion. Fix the team first ... you know ... the important thing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Fred Jackson: "I can honestly say this. In the 5 yrs I've been in Buff, there hasn't been a guy (including myself) that liked the current Uni's!!"

Also, I never wear jerseys, so I don't have a dog in that fight. I just want the Bills to look like they once did (uniforms, and more importantly, on-field production)

see, i always figured it was the players in the uniform, not the uniforms themselves. call me ol' fashioned.

jw

But there's so little loyalty on the players' side, it does make sense for fans to be more loyal to the laundry than the people in 'em.

see, i always figured it was the players in the uniform, not the uniforms themselves. call me ol' fashioned.

jw

Obviously it is the players, but if you can generate enthusiasm in your team through a uniform change, then why not do it.

For Ralph, it's more money in merchandise sales. Chalk one up for the marketing group. It worked for the Sabres.

jw

I think it goes without saying that any Bills fan would undoubtedly prefer a better Bills football team than a new uniform. However, as they're not mutually exclusive, changing from our current/awful uniforms is reason to be excited/interested in my book.

Obviously it is the players, but if you can generate enthusiasm in your team through a uniform change, then why not do it.

For Ralph, it's more money in merchandise sales. Chalk one up for the marketing group. It worked for the Sabres.

really, Sabres? everyone hated the flying slug logo, and yet everyone in town was wearing the jerseys, t-shirts, hats, socks whatever because the team was actually -- how do you call it? -- winning, by getting to the Eastern Conference finals twice.

i thought winning generated enthusiasm. :huh:

jw

really, Sabres? everyone hated the flying slug logo, and yet everyone in town was wearing the jerseys, t-shirts, hats, socks whatever because the team was actually -- how do you call it? -- winning, by getting to the Eastern Conference finals twice.

jw

Winning trumps all.

But when the team is in as poor of shape as this franchise is (and let's be honest, this is a bad football team), anything to get the fans excited is viewed as a plus. Would I rather have an influx of talent (on the field and in the front office) over jerseys? Absolutely.

But I'll take what I can get right now.

Edited by tgreg99

jw

It certainly does, and I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. Again, as on the field production and new uniforms aren't mutually exclusive, why isn't changing to a new (hopefully more classic) uniform reason for excitement?

It certanly is in terms of performance.

Nevertheless, there is no reason why the uniforms cannot look good at the same time. We had great uniforms, and the Bills blundered by switching to the ones they have had since 2002. It just so happens that the Bills have been bad for as long as they have worn the unis they are finally getting rid of.

jw

Winning trumps all.

But when the team is in as poor of shape as this franchise is (and let's be honest, this is a bad football team), anything to get the fans excited is viewed as a plus.

i'm not trying to be difficult here, though it might seem that way. but i hadn't realized the deep rut of futility in which the bills have sunk over the 11 years and counting can so quickly be overcome by ... a uniform change.

i mean, i can see people buying into the hope of the Bills signing T.O. or drafting C.J. Spiller, or cutting Trent Edwards or firing Dick Jauron. that's actual change, though even in those cases it didn't change much in the end.

what escapes me is how a team going from a dark blue to a lighter blue, or adding a stripe or patch is actually considered a valuable plus.

if they wore pink and won the Super Bowl, would that be acceptable? just wondering. ...

jw

i'm not trying to be difficult here, though it might seem that way. but i hadn't realized the deep rut of futility in which the bills have sunk over the 11 years and counting can so quickly be overcome by ... a uniform change.

i mean, i can see people buying into the hope of the Bills signing T.O. or drafting C.J. Spiller, or cutting Trent Edwards or firing Dick Jauron. that's actual change, though even in those cases it didn't change much in the end.

what escapes me is how a team going from a dark blue to a lighter blue, or adding a stripe or patch is actually considered a valuable plus.

if they wore pink and won the Super Bowl, would that be acceptable? just wondering. ...

jw

Obviously winning is the most important thing, but why not win and have good uniforms? Its not like an either/or thing. It's not "we either put out a good football team or we get better looking uniforms". Why couldn't we be excited about both?

I don't know one person that liked those unis when they came out in '02, so this is a good change.

jw

Why can't we have both? Why do some get upset because some are excited about new uniforms? Of course I want a better team but why can't they look good too?

jw

No, you're 100% right. It's not a substitute for real, quantitative change within the organization. Or the actual product that takes the field on Sundays. But it's something to talk about, debate, discuss until the draft.

jw

I don't care what they're wearing if they win the Super Bowl. Given the choice, I'd prefer a classic Bills uniform in this hypothetical scenario in which where the Bills win the Super Bowl. Not given this choice, I'd still die a happy man as the Bills, in electric pink duds, will have won the Super Bowl.

I fail to see how being excited that our beloved Bills are changing uniforms from the current ones that are disliked almost unanimously is not understandable.

Just got off a flight to this great news.

I'm hoping for the white helmet w charging buffalo look - 90's red, white and blue with that helmet...

Finally, an excuse to buy more new Bills gear!

jw

You are missing the point jw... Do you remember the movie, Major League? Do you remember when Charlie Sheen's character changed his look and lost his effectiveness? Do you remember the fans in the movie going nuts when "Wild Thing" came out of the bull pen rocking the look from the days when he was dominant? They sensed the return of good days. We are those fans... and we are ecstatic over anything that even hints at recapturing a bit of those glory days. That... and the reality that the current uniforms are horrific. It is difficult to root for a team that looks like a troup of clowns... Apparently, we won't have to any longer.

jw

No it doesnt matter what they wear your right. But how many threads a week have we seen that the current unis suck? The FO is listening and is trying to improve their product. They hired some football people in Gailey, Nix and Whaley last year and this year we are going to change our look. I dont see it as a bad thing at all and its something to get excited about. Maybe they will play inspired to open the season against the Pats* and blow them out of the water and brake Brady's pinky toe and have him out for the year. If that happens i will thank the uniforms