National Anthem

Toledo Bill

What's more American than pretending to care about something larger than yourself, but actually making it all about you?

:lol:

The problem with these renditions (and that includes the bimbo who butchered God Bless America in the same fashion), is that those songs are actually supposed to have a discernible melody! It's as though these idiots are not capable of singing it as written so they just fake it and call it their "take" on the song.

There is no talent in screeching at the top of your lungs, 'talent' is the ability to read and vocally interpret the music the way it was written.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

Not old fashioned at all, that was worse than messing up the words. She was downright terrible.

I dont remember which game it was, but after 9/11 at one of the games the fans sang the anthem, without accompaniment. It was chilling.

The fans should have booed her butt off the stage.

Aguilera did butcher the song. The over the top Mariah Carey esque approach is horrible for me and messing up the words is just stupid.

However, it is just a song at its base and to the extent it can have special reverence that actually stems from the circumstance and not from the simple words themselves. I make no personal demands that anyone sing it exactly as it was written but only that one make changes which work. Aguilera's rendition is not bad because it changed the original words it was bad because it was not good communication, sharing, entertainment, etc.

My personal favorite national anthem was a personal one when a bar in Greenwich village I was in to watch the US Hockey team beat the Russians in the 80 Olympics spontaneously sang the anthem.

The best performance of the anthem I have seen was by Marvin Gaye at an early 80s NBA All Star game >

< Ironically, he probably changed more words than Aguilera (but at least his changes made sense and evoked a sense of reverence in most. He simply showed his mastery of music where he employed a beat timing which was appropriate to the song but unusual in its presentation.

Personally, I think America the Beautiful (in particular the Ray Charles version) would be a far better national anthem than the Star Spangled Banner (easier to sing and speaks to glories of the land that we love rather than the more martial Banner, but either can work in the hands (and pipes) of a good artist.

lol how true. I prefer those who sing it rather than perform it. The guy who's a regular at Sabres games is pretty good.

It is possible to "perform" the anthem and still be respectful. My all time favorite version is the one done by my all time favorite singer, the late great Marvin Gaye, before the '83 NBA All Star Game. Very soulful and yet also very respectful and inspiring. I also think Jose Feliciano's version was very good.

It's the organizer's own fault. You know what you're going to get with a singer like her. Sure, you don't expect her to butcher the actual words, but you know exactly what you're going to get in terms of singing style.

Actually, speaking of singing, I have to admit that I found the Halftime SB showed sponsored by Bridgestone Tires to be more entertaining than any halftime show I had ever seen.

I simply laughed until I cried when I saw this bizarre extravaganza which seemed to have noting to do with anything. The bandless chanting was at first confusing to me then grew more hilarious as our group watching the game launched tons of lampooning comments.

When the light up blockheads came out (we are not sure what they are really are called), but that is how we ended up reffering to them, I was laughing so hard tears came to my eyes.

I have been to too fights when suddenly a hockey game breaks out but this was allegedly music and comedy reigned.

Remind me never to buy Bridgestone tires and ask your friends not to buy them as well.

The only version ever to hit the top 40 chart. And it went twice - 1991 and 2001.

I was there in the stadium and still get chills with it.

One of the most amazing female voices of our time. A genuinely beautiful woman. And tragic waste of talent.

Meanwhile, I don't know what the hell is wrong with some you people. Play it over the PA system? Why bother singing it all at all? It's typically such a moving moment at sports events like this, as was evidenced by the great sideline shots they got yesterday of one of the Steelers with tears in his eyes while she was singing. Why would you NOT want to take advantage of that opportunity? Because you're afraid someone might get it wrong? Oh boo-freaking-hoo. We should be having this song sung on a national stage every chance we get.

It's just like anything else; if you don't have ugly, you can never appreciate beauty. You can't be caught up in the amazing moment of Whitney Houston's performance if you don't have an Aguilera moment. And as poorly as she sang the song yesterday, and as easy as it is to jump on her for what happened, the reality is she has one of the more amazing female voices today. Maybe it's me, but I felt badly for her long before I felt the need to jump in her schitt.

Not old fashioned at all, that was worse than messing up the words. She was downright terrible.

The absolute worst part - correct me if I'm wrong but....

Didnt she butcher it at the NBA all star game or similar event just a couple years ago?

One of the most amazing female voices of our time. A genuinely beautiful woman. And tragic waste of talent.

Meanwhile, I don't know what the hell is wrong with some you people. Play it over the PA system? Why bother singing it all at all? It's typically such a moving moment at sports events like this, as was evidenced by the great sideline shots they got yesterday of one of the Steelers with tears in his eyes while she was singing. Why would you NOT want to take advantage of that opportunity? Because you're afraid someone might get it wrong? Oh boo-freaking-hoo. We should be having this song sung on a national stage every chance we get.

It's just like anything else; if you don't have ugly, you can never appreciate beauty. You can't be caught up in the amazing moment of Whitney Houston's performance if you don't have an Aguilera moment. And as poorly as she sang the song yesterday, and as easy as it is to jump on her for what happened, the reality is she has one of the more amazing female voices today. Maybe it's me, but I felt badly for her long before I felt the need to jump in her schitt.

Great post, LA. But remember, we post on a board full of guys who have never screwed up anything.

As for Aguilera, i give her credit for continuing to power through the song, when a lot of people would have simply stopped and completely lost it after the mistake.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. Those of you guys clamoring for getting rid of a "performance" anthem need to remember we'd have never had the Whitney anthem if that was the mantra.

Great post, LA. But remember, we post on a board full of guys who have never screwed up anything.

As for Aguilera, i give her credit for continuing to power through the song, when a lot of people would have simply stopped and completely lost it after the mistake.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. Those of you guys clamoring for getting rid of a "performance" anthem need to remember we'd have never had the Whitney anthem if that was the mantra.

I would personally forgive the mistake, if her voice wasn't so bad. She sounded terrible.

Outside of the game itself, everything about the Super Bowl was an unmitigated disaster.

The talentless singing, worst halftime show in at least a decade, USAF fighters flying over the enclosed stadium.

F to the A to the I to the L.

I like the idea of the audience singing the National Anthem. That would kick some ass.