Text: Wanny meets with Bills Defensive Staff

JoeF

Wanny will have plenty of other options (including San Diego, where he is as close to Norv as he is Chan). If they want to land him, they will need to give him a title like Assistant Head Coach. The Redskins did this for years with multiple guys with varying titles. At one time Greg Blanche was the official Defensive Coordinator; however, Gregg Williams had the title "Assistant Head Coach (Defense)". The Bills should give Wanny a similar title.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter, he wants to be in san diego. He was out there on the radio begging the city to take him. AJ smith knows that he is past his prime and just a step slower than the other DC's out there on the market. Bring back wade.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/01/10/wade-phillips-returns-houston/

Phillips reported to work Monday for his first day as the Houston Texans' defensive coordinator, meeting with coach Gary Kubiak to talk about staff vacancies.

Phillips was hired last week, two days after Kubiak fired defensive coordinator Frank Bush, secondary coach David Gibbs, linebackers coach Johnny Holland and assistant linebackers coach Robert Saleh.

Wanny will have plenty of other options (including San Diego, where he is as close to Norv as he is Chan). If they want to land him, they will need to give him a title like Assistant Head Coach. The Redskins did this for years with multiple guys with varying titles. At one time Greg Blanche was the official Defensive Coordinator; however, Gregg Williams had the title "Assistant Head Coach (Defense)". The Bills should give Wanny a similar title.

Could be similar to what Dick Lebeau did here in 2003, in theis scenario would be interesting to see who would call the defense on gameday as Lebeau did not.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

If Ralph is willing to pay him to be our DC (assistant Head Coach perhaps?), this would send a clear message to the team and its fans that Ralph is willing to pay whatever it takes to win now!

I agree with you. Perhaps the ILB position coach should be filled by Edwards, and Wannstedt will take over the defense.

Gailey can't be passive and worry about stepping on people's toes. His own job is at stake if this staff doesn't succeed in the near future. I hope they take a hard look at Wannsedt, Ryan, Singletary, and Mangini. At least consider it.

He could be the LB/AHC, and the de facto DC, allowing Edwards to save face. Kind of like how the Jets did it with Belichick when he was just their secondary coach, but everyone knew he was running the defense.

bingo. he will be AHC much like Lebeau was. if he and edwards can get along, this would be huge. 1.) it gives Edwards another guy to learn from (was edwards not the LB coach while Wanny was HC?) 2.) Gives Wanny the AHC title that a guy in his position has earned 3.) really will give us 2 HCs and allow Gailey to coach up the O and Wanny the D.

the fact that this is the first reported place Wanny has gone is a testament to his relationship with Chan. I'm excited at this prospect. Just like Wade or DJ - Wanny is best suited running just the defense. For a division that has some great DC and OC, it be nice to have one on our team... much like Lebeau.

the fact that this is the first reported place Wanny has gone is a testament to his relationship with Chan.

I'd like to agree with your assessment of what his coming to Buffalo first means, but alas I do not. In my view, coming to Buffalo first drives up Wanny's price tag for San Diego.

I do agree with many that if he stays in Buffalo, it will be as AHC.

Needless to say these are exciting times for us Bills fans.

Mr Wannstedt would be quite an asset to us in any position and or just to bring some new overall attitude and perspective.

This Chan plays some nice chess. Maybe just maybe we are going to get really good.

I predicted DW to go to San diego ( a whales ... is the actual translation i believe). Sorry Shawne!

After reading the annoncement of the meeting with our Defensive boys.

I'm not gonna lie. i am a little excited that we might get him.

If he comes in as AHC i still want Singletary for the linebackers.

Mr. Wilson?

I'd like to agree with your assessment of what his coming to Buffalo first means, but alas I do not. In my view, coming to Buffalo first drives up Wanny's price tag for San Diego.

I do agree with many that if he stays in Buffalo, it will be as AHC.

I agree with both things you said. Certainly this will drive his price up, especially considering how SD knows that Chan and Wanny are friends and go back a ways.

ACH it will be. If their defense still reeks next year, I'm sure there will be an off the record agreement between Chan and Wanny that Edwards will be let go and he will get the DC position and still keep the AHC

If Ralph is willing to pay him to be our DC (assistant Head Coach perhaps?), this would send a clear message to the team and its fans that Ralph is willing to pay whatever it takes to win now!

It will send a message, but a lot of the posters on this board will refuse to receive it, and they will still complain that Ralph is cheap.

What chan was saying was, it was important for him to meet with the defensive staff because those are the people he would work with and he doesn't know him. So for him to go to buffalo to meet with the coaches, he was REALLY there to meet with the defensive staff.

He knows gailey well enough that he doesn't need to fly to buffalo to know what type of coach gailey is. He flew up there to learn more about the defensive side of the ball. There is nothing to "WTF?" about. Chan is obviously trying to shake up the staff by inviting another coach to interview. But if any coach is going to take a job, he is probably going to want to talk to the people he is going to work with. It isn't lame. It is normal.

Ordinarily, one thing a DC might want is the freedom to bring in all his own people.

I think that's one thing Chan can't do.

If he gets out a broom on the whole D staff, he looks like a fool.

So anyone he brings in on the D side will have to work, and work effectively, with a number of guys who are already there

Ordinarily, one thing a DC might want is the freedom to bring in all his own people.

I think that's one thing Chan can't do.

If he gets out a broom on the whole D staff, he looks like a fool.

So anyone he brings in on the D side will have to work, and work effectively, with a number of guys who are already there

Why? Who do you think on the defensive staff had his unit performing well? The team was last in the NFL in rush defense, which is an indictment of the front 7, meaning the DL and LB coaches. The secondary was 16th in yards/pass and 6th worst in TD's surrendered. If Gailey cleaned-out the defensive staff, no one would bat an eye.

Chris brown wss on 103.3 this eve and pretty much said what some of you more astute posters have.they are not going to put any labels on this just yet...they want to see if the d staff can check their egos at the door and work together for the betterment of this franchise. I'm pretty sure that this means that dw would be made ahc and ilb coach.

Why? Who do you think on the defensive staff had his unit performing well? The team was last in the NFL in rush defense, which is an indictment of the front 7, meaning the DL and LB coaches. The secondary was 16th in yards/pass and 6th worst in TD's surrendered. If Gailey cleaned-out the defensive staff, no one would bat an eye.

I don't think anyone on the defensive staff has his unit performing well. The issue is the eternal question: is it the players, or is it the coaches?

If we were loaded with what everyone in the league recognized as top-tier talent and were underperforming, you're absolutely right no one would bat an eye.

But we're not. Giving his chosen hand-picked coaching staff only one year to implement a new system with questionable talent would be seen as:

1) bad judgment on Chan's part in choosing the wrong staff

2) disloyalty/blame shifting to his staff

No one of quality wants to put his reputation and career into a situation like that. So yeah, the coaching community would be batting their eyes.

Which is why Chan won't do it.

Edited by Hopeful

Chris brown wss on 103.3 this eve and pretty much said what some of you more astute posters have.they are not going to put any labels on this just yet...they want to see if the d staff can check their egos at the door and work together for the betterment of this franchise. I'm pretty sure that this means that dw would be made ahc and ilb coach.

Check their egos? Who's in charge? The statement from Gailey should be, if hired, Wannstedt is the new DC and anyone not on board is fired!