Text: Wanny meets with Bills Defensive Staff

JoeF

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like from the article that Chan still isn't ready to get rid of Edwards. Wannstead wont take anything less than DC. The Bills should give it to him, but I don't think they will which stinks.

That's what I'm saying...Chan keeps saying it will matter what happens when he meets w/ our D-staff? WTF? That's lame Chan...the D sucks...shake the staff up. Upgrade dammit your HC job will be at stake if we suck again on D.

It sounds like from the article that Chan still isn't ready to get rid of Edwards. Wannstead wont take anything less than DC. The Bills should give it to him, but I don't think they will which stinks.

I am a little lost myself. I can't see him taking anything less than DC, but the way the article goes, he is here because there is an opening for a LB coach, which doesn't make sense.

they are saying they aren't sure what his role would be. My guess is they are considering a change at DC, but don't want to dump Edwards without someone to replace him. But I don't know. I think it is looking more like they are going to try to talk him into a smaller job he doesn't want, and he ends up somewhere else.

I am a little lost myself. I can't see him taking anything less than DC, but the way the article goes, he is here because there is an opening for a LB coach, which doesn't make sense.

they are saying they aren't sure what his role would be. My guess is they are considering a change at DC, but don't want to dump Edwards without someone to replace him. But I don't know. I think it is looking more like they are going to try to talk him into a smaller job he doesn't want, and he ends up somewhere else.

He could be the LB/AHC, and the de facto DC, allowing Edwards to save face. Kind of like how the Jets did it with Belichick when he was just their secondary coach, but everyone knew he was running the defense.

It could be a mike singletary/Joe vitt style LB/asst hc position

That's what I'm saying...Chan keeps saying it will matter what happens when he meets w/ our D-staff? WTF? That's lame Chan...the D sucks...shake the staff up. Upgrade dammit your HC job will be at stake if we suck again on D.

What chan was saying was, it was important for him to meet with the defensive staff because those are the people he would work with and he doesn't know him. So for him to go to buffalo to meet with the coaches, he was REALLY there to meet with the defensive staff.

He knows gailey well enough that he doesn't need to fly to buffalo to know what type of coach gailey is. He flew up there to learn more about the defensive side of the ball. There is nothing to "WTF?" about. Chan is obviously trying to shake up the staff by inviting another coach to interview. But if any coach is going to take a job, he is probably going to want to talk to the people he is going to work with. It isn't lame. It is normal.

It could be a mike singletary/Joe vitt style LB/asst hc position

He could be the LB/AHC, and the de facto DC, allowing Edwards to save face. Kind of like how the Jets did it with Belichick when he was just their secondary coach, but everyone knew he was running the defense.

good calls

We need Wannstedt for one reason and one reason only - the power of the mustache. There hasn't been a decent stash on this staff since Chucky Lester got sent packing.

Magnum Freakin Wannstedt P.I.

And Curtis Modkins doesn't count. He should drop his lip in a bowl of milk and have a cat lick that poor excuse for a mustache off of his face.

Modkins

What chan was saying was, it was important for him to meet with the defensive staff because those are the people he would work with and he doesn't know him. So for him to go to buffalo to meet with the coaches, he was REALLY there to meet with the defensive staff.

He knows gailey well enough that he doesn't need to fly to buffalo to know what type of coach gailey is. He flew up there to learn more about the defensive side of the ball. There is nothing to "WTF?" about. Chan is obviously trying to shake up the staff by inviting another coach to interview. But if any coach is going to take a job, he is probably going to want to talk to the people he is going to work with. It isn't lame. It is normal.

What is lame is that he can't just come take it over. That he has to deal w/ Edwards and his staff. If he wants to that's fine...but those people IMO should be working with him (should he come to buffalo) not the other way around. Basically I'm saying...if Wanny wants to come he should be the man. Plain and simple. Anything else is lame. What he'll be subordinate to some 1 year DC that had the worst Buffalo D of my life? That literally looked nonsensical at times? Hogwash.

What is lame is that he can't just come take it over. That he has to deal w/ Edwards and his staff. If he wants to that's fine...but those people IMO should be working with him (should he come to buffalo) not the other way around. Basically I'm saying...if Wanny wants to come he should be the man. Plain and simple. Anything else is lame. What he'll be subordinate to some 1 year DC that had the worst Buffalo D of my life? That literally looked nonsensical at times? Hogwash.

It should be a two way street, working together. You just don't offer them a job. You actually have to interview people and see if they actually want the job. Otherwise you are like the phins throwing a job to a person who doesn't want it and your current coach looks like a fool.

It doesn't matter, he wants to be in san diego. He was out there on the radio begging the city to take him. AJ smith knows that he is past his prime and just a step slower than the other DC's out there on the market. Bring back wade.

Wade already has a job.

Even if he's not in charge, he could be a much needed voice of reason and mentor for some of the younger coaches. A confidant for chan. A connection to players and other coaches around the league. Maybe Edwards would be great with some guiding and DW could be that type of influence within the organization. Just because he's not the DC and calling plays doesn't mean he couldn't have a huge role on the coaching staff. We lack NFL experience and like it or not, it can hurt not having that guy in D meetings for extra advice even if he doesn't have final say.

Whether it's Wanny or someone else that is going to be part of the defense, All I can say is I'm actually surprised that they are actually addressing problems. Everything as far as I can remember has been all about the status quo.

You keep on cleaning house Chan (or whomever is cleaning).

Edited by The Wiz