comeback player of year

nuklz2594

michael vick won award. thought award was supposed to go player that recovered from injury a la wes welker or henderson of vikings. vick is an ex-convict.

With his stats last year, much of this board would have been shouting about how he was a mediocre has-been and would never be a winner bcauze b4 his incarceration he had only 54% completion 6.1 yards per attempt and a QB rating of 76 and QB who've been in the league 6 years and have never thrown more than 56% completions aren't going to improve

Yeah, I'd say it's deserved on the basis of character. He made a huge step up in his game.

He's not winning it 'cuz of his character. I hope.

michael vick won award. thought award was supposed to go player that recovered from injury a la wes welker or henderson of vikings. vick is an ex-convict.

From the jail cell to possible MVP in the NFL is about as good as a comeback you can make in the NFL. I give him credit and it is well deserved. Comeback player is all about performing after coming face to face with any obstacles be it personal or related to football.

I agree.

Though it is a very good thing for both Vick and dogs everywhere that Vick has seemingly turned from his wicked (and I would say, imbecile) ways, I wonder about the politics (read: $$$) of it all.

Similar to the Oscars- where politics reins sumpreme and not necessarily (nor often) does the real "best" picture win- these awards are deeply rooted in the politics of the situation.

Remember, prior to this disgusting incident, Vick was the posterboy of the NFL; as he appeared on the cover of countless magazines, Madden video games, etc. He was the future of the league. When this proverbial bomb blast of stupidity burst, the NFL was effectively submarined.

On the one hand, the talent of an exciting and dynamic ability as is Vick had not diminished. But the NFL had to distance itself from this NFL-poster-boy-turned dog killer to save face and maintain the integrity of its product.

Both myself and many others have said this before and I will say it again- if any one of us were guilty of a felony and did hard time for the crime(s), our old employer would NOT be welcoming us back with open arms, or even allow us on the lot to even attempt to enter the building to try to regain our formal stead.

Some will argue "well, there is no given in the NFL. His skills may have dimished and he may have been cut."

That is regardless of the fact that the NFL even allowed him to come back in the first place.

Any "normal" Joe would be struggling to find a job, period after a background of a convicted felony.

That being said, I am happy for the road to redemption, and I truly hope that this is real for Vick. I hope that he finally gets it, recognizes the errors of his ways, and never returns to that insanity. I don't expect him to ever run for President, but it would be nice if we could get highly skilled athletes who might be slightly humbled and respectful of their abilities and position in the world.

But let's not forget about the politics of it. The league is desperate for QB's who can play (ever wonder about all of the powder puff rules being compiled yearly to protect QB's?), and to say to the world "see, we weren't wrong about Vick. He IS a star!"

Politicians play this game all of the time. They get caught cheating on their spouse, or embezelling, or some sort of scum bag act, get caught, do time, then hide. After hiding for a period of time, they then begin to slowly reemerge and play the part of the reformed.

The NFL, as a cash-generating cow, understands what it has in Vick, and is looking to wash away the past misdeeds in order to cash in on the here and now.

I agree.

Though it is a very good thing for both Vick and dogs everywhere that Vick has seemingly turned from his wicked (and I would say, imbecile) ways, I wonder about the politics (read: $$$) of it all.

Similar to the Oscars- where politics reins sumpreme and not necessarily (nor often) does the real "best" picture win- these awards are deeply rooted in the politics of the situation.

Remember, prior to this disgusting incident, Vick was the posterboy of the NFL; as he appeared on the cover of countless magazines, Madden video games, etc. He was the future of the league. When this proverbial bomb blast of stupidity burst, the NFL was effectively submarined.

On the one hand, the talent of an exciting and dynamic ability as is Vick had not diminished. But the NFL had to distance itself from this NFL-poster-boy-turned dog killer to save face and maintain the integrity of its product.

Both myself and many others have said this before and I will say it again- if any one of us were guilty of a felony and did hard time for the crime(s), our old employer would NOT be welcoming us back with open arms, or even allow us on the lot to even attempt to enter the building to try to regain our formal stead.

Some will argue "well, there is no given in the NFL. His skills may have dimished and he may have been cut."

That is regardless of the fact that the NFL even allowed him to come back in the first place.

Any "normal" Joe would be struggling to find a job, period after a background of a convicted felony.

That being said, I am happy for the road to redemption, and I truly hope that this is real for Vick. I hope that he finally gets it, recognizes the errors of his ways, and never returns to that insanity. I don't expect him to ever run for President, but it would be nice if we could get highly skilled athletes who might be slightly humbled and respectful of their abilities and position in the world.

But let's not forget about the politics of it. The league is desperate for QB's who can play (ever wonder about all of the powder puff rules being compiled yearly to protect QB's?), and to say to the world "see, we weren't wrong about Vick. He IS a star!"

Politicians play this game all of the time. They get caught cheating on their spouse, or embezelling, or some sort of scum bag act, get caught, do time, then hide. After hiding for a period of time, they then begin to slowly reemerge and play the part of the reformed.

The NFL, as a cash-generating cow, understands what it has in Vick, and is looking to wash away the past misdeeds in order to cash in on the here and now.

Of course he had a job waiting for him. I would also venture to say if you were good enough at whatever it is that you do, you could go to jail for a felony and still pick up doing what you were doing before you got convicted. It is simple, there are a handful of people in the world who can do what he does. When you are in a group that is that talented and that small you get second, third , and fourth chances.

I like your thinking, although I am not sure he has anything left without taking some PEDs. I hope he does.

If I was him, no joke, I might consider it. Putting myself in his shoes, that ego, etc; I think it is the way to go...that being said, I really have found more respect for him then I thought i would.

What happened last time? I remember speculation and possibly and investigation but do not know what came of it?

or Mike Williams/Seahawks who has been out of the league for 3 seasons, came back and had a pretty decent year. I'd take him for Comeback over Vick.

According to wikki, award goes to a player who "shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_Award

Vick fits the bill for adversity.

Vick fits it perfectly, the award does not mention anything of off the field character, morals, or personal history. You cannot deny what he has over come and what he has done with his second chance in life. There are many who wonder if he deserved a second chance or not and the bottom line is still he got the chance and this is what he has done with it. He may never be perfect but it appears he has cleaned up his act. We do not have to throw parades for him or cast statues in his honor, nor should we, but we can be thankful for a young man who has turned his life around and is now contributing to society.

What intrigues me about the Vick story- as he takes hits will he fall into his old style? Will injuries reduce accuracy and make him jumpy in the pocket?

I think most of the hits he takes are because of the old style. I would say the more hits he takes the more likely he is to stay in the pocket. Slower wheels with every hit.

According to wikki, award goes to a player who "shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_Award

Vick fits the bill for adversity.

Adversity? He basically had a super high paying job waiting for him when he got out (the same job he had when he was busted). Yup, he really had to claw his way back into life.

What intrigues me about the Vick story- as he takes hits will he fall into his old style? Will injuries reduce accuracy and make him jumpy in the pocket?

It's already happened. See his last 2 games.