Ron Rivera new HC of the Panthers

CosmicBills

They could just as likely take AJ Green to bolster that anemic offense, or Peterson at CB.

This is true I guess. I doubt they go offense though with a defensive HC coming on. He's going to want to get his foundation in place.

But of course, this is all assumption on my part.

Question is...what defense will he run? He's run the 3-4 and the Tampa 2. I think that affects which defensive player gets taken.

I only see the Panthers going for Green if they say, get Vince Young for QB, or otherwise address that position to their satisfaction in free agency.

I agree that they could certainly take Fairley number 1 overall. I wonder how many touchdowns Rivera thinks he will score for them? It's going to take a lot of touchdowns out of their prize DT in order for that team to win. They certainly aren't going to put up touchdowns with that pathetic offense. That's just me really hoping they take AJ Green over Fairley.

They could just as likely take AJ Green to bolster that anemic offense, or Peterson at CB.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember a corner being the first selection of any draft. I am not saying that Levy/Jauron would not have been stupid enough to do this. They might have used the first overall on Whitner for all we know but again, I am saying that as a rule it doesn't happen.

As for drafting a WR at #1, were there others besides Keyshawn and Irving Fryar? Sometimes wrs and dbs do go early, but the top 5 is where you grab your QBs, LTs and pass rushing DEs.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember a corner being the first selection of any draft. I am not saying that Levy/Jauron would not have been stupid enough to do this. They might have used the first overall on Whitner for all we know but again, I am saying that as a rule it doesn't happen.

As for drafting a WR at #1, were there others besides Keyshawn and Irving Fryar? Sometimes wrs and dbs do go early, but the top 5 is where you grab your QBs, LTs and pass rushing DEs.

The thing that has been driving that in recent seasons has been the money being paid to the #1 overall selection. Perhaps a slotting system for rookie salaries will change that.

The thing that has been driving that in recent seasons has been the money being paid to the #1 overall selection. Perhaps a slotting system for rookie salaries will change that.

A slotting system for rookies would also increase value for teams who trade down imo. Could you imagine Mr. Wilson trading up so he could give a rookie 40 mil. guaranteed? Many other owners would probably be scared off as well.

The Bills might be in a very good spot if they reach agreement on a new CBA.

Revis or Asomugha would be well worth the #1 overall pick.

A slotting system for rookies would also increase value for teams who trade down imo. Could you imagine Mr. Wilson trading up so he could give a rookie 40 mil. guaranteed? Many other owners would probably be scared off as well.

The Bills might be in a very good spot if they reach agreement on a new CBA.

I think all teams will be in a better spot if they reach an agreement on rookie salaries as part of the new CBA. A top 5 pick is absolute poison to a team. You pay 10's of millions to a completely unproven guy, leaving next to no money to sign guys that can shore up other areas of the team; hence, the top 5 guy busts out. And you're right back to where you started in a few years. I'd offer that, as much as anything, is leading to the division between good and bad teams. The good teams have more money to spread around to mid-round picks, while signing their proven veteran players. The bad teams, however, spend all their money on high-round, unproven rookies; while being forced to let their proven veterans walk.

IMO, a slotted system for rookies will lead to fewer (high quality) FAs leaving teams and therefore more stability and improved performance from all teams.

Unless there's a new CBA by the draft, I'd say it's unlikely that Fairley goes #1 overall.

Remember that the #1 overall pick--barring a rookie cap structure being in place--will likely command $45M+ in guaranteed money. The only positions that get that type of cash in the NFL are QB, OT, and pass-rushing DE.

There really aren't any OTs worthy of the #1 overall pick, so you're likely looking at one of 3 guys:

Blaine Gabbert - QB/Missouri

Cam Newton - QB/Auburn

Da'Quan Bowers - DE/Clemson

Right now, my money is on Bowers, since Riviera is a defensive guy and they drafted Clausen last year.

However, if a new CBA is signed before then, there will likely be a rookie wage scale in place, and all bets would be off, making this a much more plausible scenario.

EDIT: Wow, guess I should've read the thread more thoroughly, you guys are all over this topic...well done.

Edited by thebandit27

So would OGs Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson. My point is that I have never seen dbs go first, and wrs rarely go first.

Btw, I recall a guard going first but don't remember who.

This year could be different due mainly to the lack of QB and OT talent at the very top of the draft. I certainly would not be shocked to see Green/Peterson go 1/2, given the needs of Carolina and Denver.

So would OGs Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson. My point is that I have never seen dbs go first, and wrs rarely go first.

Btw, I recall a guard going first but don't remember who.

that would be: 1961 Ken Rice G Auburn Buffalo Bills (AFL)

here's a link to a site that shows all the #1 picks taken

edit: I searched thru the drafts and couldn't find a OG taken #1 at all after the merge to create the NFL...this is the closest I could find: 1985 draft round 1 pick #2 - Bill Fralic G, Pittsburgh, Atlanta Falcons

Edited by Tsaikotic

Yeah, I think Rivera being a D coach does tip the scales a little bit to a defensive player, but AJ Green still is a major need on that team. Peterson at CB is also a strong option, but I just have a real hard time picturing a DB going #1 overall. So, I think it most likely will be Fairley, Green, or whatever DE they have ranked highest. If I had to guess right now, I think I would still go Green as they are going to want to try and develop Claussen as well as add some excitement to that team.

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson held a press conference last week stating that the NFL has turned into a offense first league. He stated that getting a top offensive coordinator and fixing the O is his top priority this off season. He said this before Luck decided to stay in school of course. Richardson prefers defense and running so we'll see if he really has changed his thoughts of building a team.

Question is...what defense will he run? He's run the 3-4 and the Tampa 2. I think that affects which defensive player gets taken.

I only see the Panthers going for Green if they say, get Vince Young for QB, or otherwise address that position to their satisfaction in free agency.

RIvera comes from the chargers and they run a 3/4

This year could be different due mainly to the lack of QB and OT talent at the very top of the draft. I certainly would not be shocked to see Green/Peterson go 1/2, given the needs of Carolina and Denver.

Needs for both teams and probable number 1 and 2 on most boards. That is what I am hoping for anyway give me Fairley or the alabama kid anyday

Nick Fairely is almost assuredly going to be the #1 overall know.

Bowers would be the only other option if he think Bowers can play a giant Rush Backer in a 3-4 a la Woodely and Terrell Suggs.

In this Year's draft it'd expect a rookie defensive coach to want to make his mark with a cornerstone piece like Fairely.

got this off the rotoworld site \

http://www.rotoworld.com/

New coach Ron Rivera confirmed Tuesday that he will stick with a 4-3 defensive scheme in Carolina.

Rivera used the 3-4 most recently in San Diego, but he's coached both schemes in the past. Though he promised to use "some elements" of the 3-4 in his new defense, key players such as MLB Jon Beason will stay in their comfort zones. River emphasized that his will be an "attacking" defense, which is pretty much what all new defensive coaches promise.

I don't think Carolina drafts Bowers. Charles Johnson is a beast, and they invested a 1st round pick in Everette Brown two years ago.

Johnson is an unrestricted free agent whose only good year came in a contract year (a major red flag for many organizations) and Brown has been mostly invisible.

Bowers is a real possibility at No. 1 overall if you ask me.