Did he really say this???

I saw this quote from Poz on the Buffalo web site and am baffled:

“First and foremost, we’ve got to figure out why our run defense was so bad and fix those problems,” linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “Whether it’s personnel – do we need bigger, stronger guys? Scheme – are we lining up right? That’s something I know the coaches will take a closer look at starting now and they’ll have answers for us.”

DOH! Did he really ask if it was scheme and that the coaches will take a closer look at? We had 16 weeks with a sieve of a run defense and now the coaches will look at it? If they could not figure out why we stunk at stopping the run in 16 weeks, then I have no hope that they will figure it out in the off season. We need someone who can watch film and analyze week over week.

He knows the problem: they need bigger, better guys on the DL. He threw in the other comment about the scheme just so it wouldn't sound too much like him calling out certain teammates. It's called being diplomatic.

Exactly. I don't care who your MLB is/are, if you don't have big bodies on the line tying up blockers and keeping them off the LBs, you won't be able to stop the opponents running game.

I saw this quote from Poz on the Buffalo web site and am baffled:

“First and foremost, we’ve got to figure out why our run defense was so bad and fix those problems,” linebacker Paul Posluszny said. “Whether it’s personnel – do we need bigger, stronger guys? Scheme – are we lining up right? That’s something I know the coaches will take a closer look at starting now and they’ll have answers for us.”

DOH! Did he really ask if it was scheme and that the coaches will take a closer look at? We had 16 weeks with a sieve of a run defense and now the coaches will look at it? If they could not figure out why we stunk at stopping the run in 16 weeks, then I have no hope that they will figure it out in the off season. We need someone who can watch film and analyze week over week.

Overreact much?

I'd put the run D problems in this order to fix:

LBs

DEs

Scheme

Poz needs to look only at himself. Outside of KW, our front seven, particularly the LBs wouldn't start for anybody else in the league. They were putrid. And, while he put up decent tackle numbers, Poz was not that good, run OR pass. Our DEs couldn't set an edge if their lives depended on it.

The ONLY untouchable is KW. The rest can go tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

GO BILLS!!!

He knows the problem: they need bigger, better guys on the DL. He threw in the other comment about the scheme just so it wouldn't sound too much like him calling out certain teammates. It's called being diplomatic.

I but that, but of course he has one pro bowler playing in front of him. Kyle willing is not a space eater who take sup blockers, but a player who sheds blockers and penetrates. That's a good skill, but not for s run stuffer, which is what a nose tackle is supposed to be -- hence Kyle Williams is not the NT we need for a 3-4, but a good tackle in a 4-3. Which scheme did the coaches pick to start the year with?

IMO - a good coach puts the players he has in schemes where they can perform to the best of their abilities and then looks for players to fit the scheme he wants to play.

I but that, but of course he has one pro bowler playing in front of him. Kyle willing is not a space eater who take sup blockers, but a player who sheds blockers and penetrates.

He may be the most proficient penetrator since Willis left.

LBs

DEs

Scheme

Poz needs to look only at himself. Outside of KW, our front seven, particularly the LBs wouldn't start for anybody else in the league. They were putrid. And, while he put up decent tackle numbers, Poz was not that good, run OR pass. Our DEs couldn't set an edge if their lives depended on it.

The ONLY untouchable is KW. The rest can go tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

GO BILLS!!!

Dunno how you evaluate any of the back 7 if the line is getting blown off the ball.

I had to think on his comment awhile. It was actually a pretty good statement. He did not blame anyone but he knew it didnt work as well. just as the rest of us do.

But he doesnt seem as if he was blaming others. Like a catch all. Is he saying,we all did not play (coaches too) as we need to? i think he includes himself. It was a criticizing the whole team including himself and everyone one around him.

He might be about average ILB who cant cover but he has the right heart and does pursue hard,and i do not see him giving up on effort. His taclkes are almost always Very good (not broken) if he can get hands up on them.

I do read this as blaming everyone, no more or less than himself.

He also must know we are looking to upgrade at His position too with bigger and stronger if we can

my 2 cents.

i still like him. Love the Kyle, but still like Poz

Edited by 3rdand12

LBs

DEs

Scheme

GO BILLS!!!

Nope, the order starts at lack of a true NT or 2 big DTs (for 4-3), THEN the small LBs and safeties.

Nope, the order starts at lack of a true NT or 2 big DTs (for 4-3), THEN the small LBs and safeties.

I might agree if I thought for a second our NT play wasn't adequate. It was more than adequate. KW is more than able to play the position at a high level. If we didn't have a better than average player at the position I would also agree that the old paradigm applies. But my eyes tell me our DEs can't set an edge as we got burned over and over again on rushes to the outside and our LBs were some of the worst I've seen at pursuit angles and containment. They over-pursue to the point of running themselves out of position more often than not and that is amplified when you have DEs that can't hold containment either.

Also, LBs have to be able to shed a block now and then. Ours don't more often than not. And before we go and say that's because you need a huge DT to occupy those blockers to keep them off your LBs, that's not always true. An LB STILL has to be able to fill the hole and he has to shed a block now and then in order to do that. Ours LBs can't do either very well. KW was rarely out of position, he required double teams more often than not, and STILL our LBs couldn't do what they are supposed to do. They are pathetic.

GO BILLS!!!

I might agree if I thought for a second our NT play wasn't adequate. It was more than adequate. KW is more than able to play the position at a high level. If we didn't have a better than average player at the position I would also agree that the old paradigm applies. But my eyes tell me our DEs can't set an edge as we got burned over and over again on rushes to the outside and our LBs were some of the worst I've seen at pursuit angles and containment. They over-pursue to the point of running themselves out of position more often than not and that is amplified when you have DEs that can't hold containment either.

Also, LBs have to be able to shed a block now and then. Ours don't more often than not. And before we go and say that's because you need a huge DT to occupy those blockers to keep them off your LBs, that's not always true. An LB STILL has to be able to fill the hole and he has to shed a block now and then in order to do that. Ours LBs can't do either very well. KW was rarely out of position, he required double teams more often than not, and STILL our LBs couldn't do what they are supposed to do. They are pathetic.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't disagree in general as I've been moaning about our 'backers being arguably the worst in the NFL for some time now. But you also have to consider that Kyle Williams,as good as he is, is not a traditional 2gap Nose and likely never will be. He'll shoot a lot of gaps and blow up a lot of plays, but he'll never be the kind of guy that holds the point of attack and keeps the 'backers clean.

I don't disagree in general as I've been moaning about our 'backers being arguably the worst in the NFL for some time now. But you also have to consider that Kyle Williams,as good as he is, is not a traditional 2gap Nose and likely never will be. He'll shoot a lot of gaps and blow up a lot of plays, but he'll never be the kind of guy that holds the point of attack and keeps the 'backers clean.

You're absolutely correct that KW isn't the prototypical 2-gap 34 NT and that's why he played a 1-gap NT technique. No problem there as many teams do this. Ratliff in Dallas is a good example. When you have players like KW you let him exploit his gap-penetrating abilities but you better have DEs that are stout 2-gappers that can set an edge and, most importantly, have LBs who can fill a hole when Williams commits. I put most of the blame on Edwards for not realizing he didn't have the talent at LB and DE much sooner than he did. It's not our LBs and DE's fault that they don't have much talent.

We need players.

GO BILLS!!!

You're absolutely correct that KW isn't the prototypical 2-gap 34 NT and that's why he played a 1-gap NT technique. No problem there as many teams do this. Ratliff in Dallas is a good example. When you have players like KW you let him exploit his gap-penetrating abilities but you better have DEs that are stout 2-gappers that can set an edge and, most importantly, have LBs who can fill a hole when Williams commits. I put most of the blame on Edwards for not realizing he didn't have the talent at LB and DE much sooner than he did. It's not our LBs and DE's fault that they don't have much talent.

We need players.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with you K-9 on the LB situation. There was some really bad LB play this past year. This is what we evolved into during the season once Edwards pulled his head out and realized he didn't have the players to play a 2-gap 3-4.

http://www.scardraft.com/Phillips34.html

(Note who is listed as the perfect player for the WDE, btw. B-) )

Williams is fine as the NT in this scheme, but our LBs couldn't control their gaps which was why we were gashed all season in the running game. Kelsay started as a true Sam in Edwards defense and showed he was a total cluster in space and had no ability at all in coverage. He continued to play the contain defender, whether he lined up in a 2 or 3 pt., and was usually embarrassing to watch. He's a lightweight DE, narrow in the waist, and without great hands or superior strength. He can be a "better Maybin than Maybin" and head up field and cause disruption once in a while, but that's not saying anything. He can win his battle once in a while; but, he's simply not a good fit for nor good enough to play this defense. Our primary pass rush should have come from the other side, but the Maybin project flamed out before it left the drawing board. Torbor didn't produce and then went down. Merriman gave a PC and turned up on IR before you could blink. Moats finally got bounced out there and he showed a few good things, but he was still a rookie and not a LB in college. On the inside, more injuries and guys moving around. Davis is a downhill plugger and is terrible in coverage, but he was sent to IR early and Ayodele showed why Miami had dumped both he and Torbor after looking at their run defense problems. Posluszny is a disappointment and I think your earlier criticisms apply to his play very well.

To be even a mediocre defense against the run, the Bills are going to have to find a new set of LBs.

Bigger, stronger guys

Thanks to draft genius Tom Modrak, our new NT is a 315-lber who played the "3" technique in a 4-3 system in a third-tier college program.

With Kyle Williams more of a penetrator, we needed a space eater/toilet clogger and Modrak decided to get a decent athlete who spent his rookie year getting pushed around.

Let's hope he gets better -- but let's hope more than anything that we get rid of this dipstick who's been ruining our drafts since 2002.

Nix should build the team like The Bills logo - real big up front, fast and light in the backside with a streak of lightning in the middle.

Someone at a Bills game once told me that the 'streak of lightning' was actually a streak of blood pouring out from being stabbed in the heart. Always made total sense to me.

K-9, on 06 January 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

We need players.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes we do starting at LB but wouldn't be surprised if the Bills took a DE with their first pick

I agree with you K-9 on the LB situation. There was some really bad LB play this past year. This is what we evolved into during the season once Edwards pulled his head out and realized he didn't have the players to play a 2-gap 3-4.

http://www.scardraft.com/Phillips34.html

(Note who is listed as the perfect player for the WDE, btw. B-) )

Williams is fine as the NT in this scheme, but our LBs couldn't control their gaps which was why we were gashed all season in the running game. Kelsay started as a true Sam in Edwards defense and showed he was a total cluster in space and had no ability at all in coverage. He continued to play the contain defender, whether he lined up in a 2 or 3 pt., and was usually embarrassing to watch. He's a lightweight DE, narrow in the waist, and without great hands or superior strength. He can be a "better Maybin than Maybin" and head up field and cause disruption once in a while, but that's not saying anything. He can win his battle once in a while; but, he's simply not a good fit for nor good enough to play this defense. Our primary pass rush should have come from the other side, but the Maybin project flamed out before it left the drawing board. Torbor didn't produce and then went down. Merriman gave a PC and turned up on IR before you could blink. Moats finally got bounced out there and he showed a few good things, but he was still a rookie and not a LB in college. On the inside, more injuries and guys moving around. Davis is a downhill plugger and is terrible in coverage, but he was sent to IR early and Ayodele showed why Miami had dumped both he and Torbor after looking at their run defense problems. Posluszny is a disappointment and I think your earlier criticisms apply to his play very well.

To be even a mediocre defense against the run, the Bills are going to have to find a new set of LBs.

Good post. You nailed it.

Sisyphean, Thanks for the enjoyable link.

You make good points again. but also caused me worry. In a true Buddy 34 we need corners that can play one on one.

Is this rebuild going to take longer than expected. With such a major shift in how we do Defense this year and moving forward it really seems we need even more players on that side of the ball to be effective.

It sounds like this all a major overhaul. Year ONE. I can wait but they better stick to their guns. 3 years from now we get another coach and try another method. Then we start again. I would rather see some improvement each year in each area of play. Than get to the playoffs in one or two years.

Lets get a strong team with continuity and momentum. Then reach the playoffs 4 times and get the the super bowl ring we just missed

I think he means that they are going to get a closer look at it. They have a whole seasons worth of game tape to examine. But that doesn't mean they weren't looking at it during the season. Poz also took a jab at the D-line which is also likely a cause of the weak run D.

To be honest the team needs to draft a top guy like Fairley or Bowers to pair up with Carrington at DE. Williams and Troup split the NT position while Edwards, Carrington, Bowers, and Stroud take a rotation at DE.

The team also needs a MLB to pair up with Poz. Andra Davis is a decent backup but the team needs another MLB to pair up with Poz that would also help stuff the run. The team needs a quality run stuffing MLB and DE as well as the development of Carrington and Troup.

Edited by billsfan89

Sisyphean, Thanks for the enjoyable link.

You make good points again. but also caused me worry. In a true Buddy 34 we need corners that can play one on one.

Is this rebuild going to take longer than expected. With such a major shift in how we do Defense this year and moving forward it really seems we need even more players on that side of the ball to be effective.

It sounds like this all a major overhaul. Year ONE. I can wait but they better stick to their guns. 3 years from now we get another coach and try another method. Then we start again. I would rather see some improvement each year in each area of play. Than get to the playoffs in one or two years.

Lets get a strong team with continuity and momentum. Then reach the playoffs 4 times and get the the super bowl ring we just missed

Well, we're in prime position to draft Peterson. ;)

I think he means that they are going to get a closer look at it. They have a whole seasons worth of game tape to examine. But that doesn't mean they weren't looking at it during the season. Poz also took a jab at the D-line which is also likely a cause of the weak run D.

To be honest the team needs to draft a top guy like Fairley or Bowers to pair up with Carrington at DE. Williams and Troup split the NT position while Edwards, Carrington, Bowers, and Stroud take a rotation at DE.

The team also needs a MLB to pair up with Poz. Andra Davis is a decent backup but the team needs another MLB to pair up with Poz that would also help stuff the run. The team needs a quality run stuffing MLB and DE as well as the development of Carrington and Troup.

Poz is in no position to take jabs at anyone. He needs to take a good look in the mirror.

Last year Poz fans were saying he would be much better in a 3/4 scheme than he was in the 4/3 becuse he is more naturally suited for that defense. We found out he wasn't. Now it's he needs to have better people in the 10 positions around him.

I have a suggestion. Why don't we get new MLB's that run towards the ball, that can cover tight ends (especially the slow ones),

that can stop at least one RB at the point of impact, that can shed a block once in a while and most important, is that he is not from Penn St.

I would like to see our defense built up. Fairley or Dareus would be nice but even if we go for Newton at 3 we still have many picks to bolster our defense if our front office has a clue.

No matter how much the defense is built up, Poz will still be a liability.

Edited by VADC Bills