Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

I am not sure that we should assume that he will go #1 next year. He may not have as great a season, or get injured, or other great players might show up (QB, DE, OL, RB) etc. In other words, we might not need to be first in the draft order to get Luck. Having said that, I'd be surprised if he dropped lower than #5.

I have to say that his decision only heightens my respect for him. I am a college professor, and take education seriously. I am really pleased by the message this sends to young kids in America.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you saying this was stupid, please see Sam Bradford.

A good QB is a good QB. No coach is going to come to Stanford and put a scheme in place that will fail to exploit Andrew Luck's talent. Personally, if I were Andrew Luck, I'd probably stay too. First off, he might leave school, go pro, and then be kept off the field for a year until the labor situation is resolved. Second off, the kid is wealthy already, its not like he needs the money. Third off, Stanford is a good school if you haven't heard, its not a bad idea to graduate. And lastly, I don't know about you, but I don't mind knowing that this is a principled kid who won't make decisions off the basis of a pay check.

Also, redshirt sophomores are don't necessarily have the highest success rate of rookie QBs. Just sayin', its not as outlandish as people want to think.

Can he take out an insurance policy on his health?

Unless he has inside knowledge of a likely work stoppage, this makes no sense. He's two semesters away from getting his degree... Great! How about he works on that for the next 10 years while he's banking coin in the NFL. By the time he's done with his football career some of his education will be wasted anyway as building codes will be changed to make room for the flying automobile, ozone protective shields, etc.

Thank God!!! These next few months would have killed me thinking we could have had a chance at him. Now, we can just focus on anyone else and I won't be pissed that we didn't do enough to get the next Manning. Even though, we pry wouldn't have gotten him anyways and I would have found a way to be pissed at the Bills for not trying hard enough.

And yes, I'm selfish for not wanting him anywhere else and yes we will be better next year enough so we won't get him. But alteast it's not gonna torment me now.

No, I don't think he is dumb. I think it shows that he isn't greedy. The guy enjoys college, knows he'll be a pro and may even stay two more years to get his degree. I respect him for it.

To other people's point, this should be interesting for Panther's now.

The best part about this in my opinion, is that this is still a hugely heavy QB draft. So a lot of the teams this year will grab QB's while we hang out with Fitz and next year, if Fitz doesn't show that he's the man, we will have a ton less competition to get a QB.

As of right now, and I know this will change in a week probably, I either see the Panthers trading back or taking Newton after he has a stellar game.

This raises major questions about him just as it did with Locker last year. Probably moreso because it looks like he's losing his coach and Carolina came out and said they'd take him at #1. Gotta question his competitive nature. What's he got left to prove at the college level?

Winning a National Championship with the now #4 ranked team in the country?

Unless he has inside knowledge of a likely work stoppage, this makes no sense. He's two semesters away from getting his degree... Great! How about he works on that for the next 10 years while he's banking coin in the NFL. By the time he's done with his football career some of his education will be wasted anyway as building codes will be changed to make room for the flying automobile, ozone protective shields, etc.

I believe so, yes.

A couple of things:

2. I think that the potential QB class of 2012 could be very strong. Luck, Barkley, and Landry Jones is a pretty strong class.
  3. How dumb are the Panthers to have announced that if Luck declared, they would draft him? Not much of a vote of confidence for the QBs on the roster.
  4. I would have to think that AJ Green could potentially be the #1 pick. Get Clausen or Matt Moore the weapons they may need to be successful and see if they progress as a result.
  5. Bills will no doubt go defense now with the #3 pick, unless they trade down.

It's stupid for a few reasons. First of all, he can't do any better than #1, which is where he would be drafted this year. All he can do is the same or worse by staying in school. Second, we have no idea what is going to happen with the new CBA. He could end up earning a fraction of what he would have made this year by coming out. Third, as much as I agree with Tolstoy about education, there is no age limit on when you can complete it. Fourth, life happens. There is no guarantee that he will not be injured on or off the field, in some unforseen or unfortunate manner. And lastly, the simple fact is that when you have the opportunity to become a multi-millionaire, you TAKE IT!!!

I am not sure that we should assume that he will go #1 next year. He may not have as great a season, or get injured, or other great players might show up (QB, DE, OL, RB) etc. In other words, we might not need to be first in the draft order to get Luck. Having said that, I'd be surprised if he dropped lower than #5.

I have to say that his decision only heightens my respect for him. I am a college professor, and take education seriously. I am really pleased by the message this sends to young kids in America.

If only every kid in America had the same opportunity with which Luck is taking a gamble. It's not like he can never finish his degree.

A good QB is a good QB. No coach is going to come to Stanford and put a scheme in place that will fail to exploit Andrew Luck's talent. Personally, if I were Andrew Luck, I'd probably stay too. First off, he might leave school, go pro, and then be kept off the field for a year until the labor situation is resolved. Second off, the kid is wealthy already, its not like he needs the money. Third off, Stanford is a good school if you haven't heard, its not a bad idea to graduate. And lastly, I don't know about you, but I don't mind knowing that this is a principled kid who won't make decisions off the basis of a pay check.

Also, redshirt sophomores are don't necessarily have the highest success rate of rookie QBs. Just sayin', its not as outlandish as people want to think.

Bradford, like Peyton Manning, had the same coaches throughout their careers. Huge difference. Not to mention many of Harbaugh's recruits may go elsewhere.

This raises major questions about him just as it did with Locker last year. Probably moreso because it looks like he's losing his coach and Carolina came out and said they'd take him at #1. Gotta question his competitive nature. What's he got left to prove at the college level?

I agree.

Mad props to The Senator for continuing to call this like a stubborn mule while everyone and their mother were convinced he was coming out.

Yeah. But then there's that Mike Leach thing. :lol:

Edited by Doc

Wow, zepp, think you're sporting one for Mallett?

:lol:

lol, as soon as our first pick is made, I won't give two craps about Mallett....but until then, I can't help my crusade lol

They said the same things about Bradford after not declaring the year he won the Heisman as a RS Sophomore. He returned, hurt his shoulder twice, had an operation, still went #1 overall, and will likely be ROTY. Luck is better than Locker in every way. That comparison is ridiculous on any level.