Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he'll change his mind. He still has a week to declare.

Harbaugh leaving has to at least sway him towards declaring a little bit. Too bad it won't matter because Fairley would be gone at two even in the scenario with Luck coming out for the draft.

would we ever trade up a spot if he was our guy? what would it cost?

I'd love the idea of trading up for Luck--even at a very high price. I can't think of a single example in NFL history where a team has said to itself, "We found our franchise quarterback for the next 10+ years. But the price we paid to get him was too high." Just as it would have been a serious mistake for the Colts to have traded away the Peyton Manning pick--even if they'd been given a king's ransom in return--so too it makes sense to trade into a Peyton Manning-style pick, even if you have to pay a king's ransom to do it.

At this point, I'd like it if the Bills could acquire additional first round picks in next year's draft. They could offer deals along the following lines: "We'll trade you the third overall pick this year for your first round pick this year and your first rounder next year." At least according to the NFL value chart, the third overall pick is worth 3200 points, and the 32nd overall pick is worth 590. A pick a year from now is considered to be worth one round less than a pick today. (A 2nd rounder next year is worth a third rounder this year, for example.) So at least in theory, that highly valuable third overall pick could be converted into a number of first round picks in next year's draft. Whether there are willing trade partners is of course another matter.

If I'm Buddy Nix, my goal would be to acquire as many first rounders in next year's draft as possible. Especially from teams I suspect will have lousy records in 2011. That way when Luck does enter the draft, I've maximized my odds of being able to take him. Even if I don't have the first overall pick, having multiple picks in the first round could make me a viable trade partner with some other team looking to trade down.

Unfortunately, the above-described, outside-the-box thinking is not something we're used to seeing from One Bills Drive. Normally they're conventional and boring. When they're not those things, it normally means they're doing something stupid. (Such as reaching for a player, or addressing a position they should be ignoring.) Seldom if ever do you see the Bills' front office show a Belichick-like willingness to throw conventional thinking out the window as part of their effort to pursue a larger, well thought-out strategy.