with the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft.....

papazoid

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing about Fitz says Franchise QB...nothing...He's gritty and gutty no doubt...He's a decent stop-gap and a hell of a good #2 QB and teammate...But saying Fitz is a Franchise QB makes me wonder if you've ever seen a Franchise QB over the course of an entire Season...Becasue Fitz is not even in the same league as Peyton, Rivers, Brees, and the like...He's just not at that level... B-)

True... he's a very solid #2, but... do we take Newton? I'm not sold on him as a Pro QB, and he'll take a few years to develop... Same with Mallet. We need help on D NOW!

That's funny i read a post that did some research and since 1999 there are only i think it was 4 or 5 first round QB's playing in the NFL today the rest are 2nd round picks or later .

You/they must mean 2009. Of course there were only 5 QBs drafted in the first round since 2009. Bradford, Tebow, Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman.

Here we go again with the QB 1st round talk. Behind this O line with no supporting defense a 1st round QB will be a bust. Period.

...with a _efense that gives up 200 yards per game and allows the opposition 35 minutes T.O.P. .If the QB is Peyton Manning-ish, you take him no matter what because next year's top QB might be Vince Young-ish. But out side of that, taking a QB will get the current regime fired speedy quick.

That is not even close to plenty. Lee Evans is just about worthless in a trade due to the number of impending free agent WRs this offseason, and next years 3rd would carry the weight of a 4th this year. According to chart they'd have to give up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

I'm not ready to part with our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in this draft to move up 2 slots. This team will not be a playoff team in 2011 because we have too many holes to fill in one off-season. Our first 3 picks should be starters this year. Why replace a decent NFL quarterback (Fitz) with a great(but unproven?) quarterback and leave 2 other holes to fill? Unless Luck is "Peyton Manning - can't miss" quality, I'm not ready to give up that much this year.

The Panthers wouldn't trade Luck for the Bills entire draft. It's a QB league.

With Luck unavailable, with no offensive tackle projected to be top 5, and with no d-linemen that fit the 3-4 scheme, the Bills should trade down.

I'm hoping an offensive tackle emerges, though.

We need someone with star power. Someone to fill the stands with paying customers. Last season the ploy was to bring in Terrell Owens. Oops! Well this year we sizzled by taking Spiller. Oops! Then the braintrust realized what we all knew: you don't need three good running backs, so we traded away Lynch and gained nothing. So which will it be this year: a "name" free agent or a glitzy pick at a position where we are already covered? Are there any Sebastion Janikowskis out there? We could use a second good punter.

No.

Did Tedford coach all of these guys, why yes he did. Try the google boys, its amazing what you'll learn. From his wiki page:

Tedford coached each of the following first round NFL draft picks at the quarterback position:

Fresno State

Trent Dilfer 6th overall 1994, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

David Carr 1st overall 2002, Houston Texans

Oregon

Akili Smith 3rd overall 1999, Cincinnati Bengals

Joey Harrington 3rd overall 2002, Detroit Lions

California

Kyle Boller 19th overall 2003, Baltimore Ravens

Aaron Rodgers 24th overall 2005, Green Bay Packers

Edited by billsfan714

There has been a trade, the Buffalo Bills have traded their first round draft selection in the 2011 draft for the Minnesota Vikings first and second round draft selections in the 2011 draft. Buffalo has also acquired Minnesota's 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft. With the third pick in the 2011 NFL Entry draft the Vikings select Ryan Mallett, QB Arkansas.

With the twelve pick in the 2011 NFL entry draft, the Buffalo Bills select Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE Purdue.

That's funny i read a post that did some research and since 1999 there are only i think it was 4 or 5 first round QB's playing in the NFL today the rest are 2nd round picks or later .

That's not saying a bunch for 1st rounders & that's not even saying that the best QB POSSIBLEY EVER Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round of the draft .

You just have to have good scouts that can really see talent then a good coaching staff to polish them up to where they need to be .

You and everyone else please, please stop with this Brady BS. Name one other 6th round QB that even won a playoff game in the last 20 years?

I will not be just satisfied to get to the playoffs. I want the Bills to win them !!! Not saying the Bills should go QB in the first round this year as Luck will be off the board but at some point soon they are going to have to shoot for the moon and draft a QB with their first pick. First round busts my ass; how have all those second round QB's the Bills have drafted turned out !!!

There has been a trade, the Buffalo Bills have traded their first round draft selection in the 2011 draft for the Minnesota Vikings first and second round draft selections in the 2011 draft. Buffalo has also acquired Minnesota's 3rd round pick in the 2012 draft. With the third pick in the 2011 NFL Entry draft the Vikings select Ryan Mallett, QB Arkansas.

With the twelve pick in the 2011 NFL entry draft, the Buffalo Bills select Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE Purdue.

I would cry out of pure hate.

Look at that list. For those who kept saying picking 7-9 and getting the win today is better than picking 2-4 and losing today:

1. Buffalo - Bruce Smith, DE Virginia Tech

2. Atlanta - Bill Fralic, G Pittsburgh

3. Houston - Ray Childress, DT Texas A&M

4. Minnesota - Chris Doleman, DE Pittsburgh

5. Indianapolis - Duane Bickett, OLB Southern California

6. Detroit - Lomas Brown, T Florida

7. Green Bay - Ken Ruettgers, T Southern California

8. Tampa Bay - Ron Holmes, DE Washington

9. Philadelphia - Kevin Allen, T Indiana

Picks 2-4 went to 17 Pro Bowls. Picks 7-9 went to zero! nada! none!

You're absolutely right. Cherrypicking the 1985 draft tells us everything about how the 2011 draft will shake out. You should definitely share your careful statistical analysis with OBD and make sure they do not trade into the 7-9 picks. You should also remind them to trade for pick #86, because that is where they secured Andre Reed in 1985.

A simple yes would suffice. I just asked the question.

Well, it says it on Wikipedia... so mea culpa. ;)

Tedford was OC in Oregon from 1998 to 2001. David Carr was at Fresno St. from 1997 to 2001 (forgot he redshirted a year). So, while technically there was 1 year of overlap, saying he was a Tedford product based on 11 attempts as a freshman is ridiculous. Carr really blossomed in 2000 and 2001 under Andy Ludwig.

You're absolutely right. Cherrypicking the 1985 draft tells us everything about how the 2011 draft will shake out. You should definitely share your careful statistical analysis with OBD and make sure they do not trade into the 7-9 picks. You should also remind them to trade for pick #86, because that is where they secured Andre Reed in 1985.

I didn't cherry pick it. Somebody put a link to it in this thread, and I noticed how good those top 4 picks were. Then, I looked lower and never heard of those guys.

Sorry you didn't get your win you would be feeling so good about today.

You and everyone else please, please stop with this Brady BS. Name one other 6th round QB that even won a playoff game in the last 20 years?

I will not be just satisfied to get to the playoffs. I want the Bills to win them !!! Not saying the Bills should go QB in the first round this year as Luck will be off the board but at some point soon they are going to have to shoot for the moon and draft a QB with their first pick. First round busts my ass; how have all those second round QB's the Bills have drafted turned out !!!

I'm pretty Matt Hasselbeck was a 6th Round pick as was Mark Bulger and they've both won playoff games in the last 20 years.

I didn't cherry pick it. Somebody put a link to it in this thread, and I noticed how good those top 4 picks were. Then, I looked lower and never heard of those guys.

Sorry you didn't get your win you would be feeling so good about today.

You've never heard of Lomas Brown? Sad really that a great O-lineman doesn't get his due. Click here to learn more

Edited by The Jokeman

If Luck declares, you draft him. Otherwise Fairley sounds like a solid pick!

you trade up for luck at any price. even if it means giving up next years #1 (or more) in addition to swapping #1's this year....STOP LOOKING at next years #1 as losing something.....all your doing is FREEING UP salary cap space that can still be used on a free agent.

darn it.....

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

darn it.....

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

Can we move on from this Luck stuff? He's going #1. We will not get him. It's time we put on a clean pair of shorts and end this wet dream.

Can we move on from this Luck stuff? He's going #1. We will not get him. It's time we put on a clean pair of shorts and end this wet dream.

wait...i need a moment...........................ok, i feel better.

now, maybe they are trying to drive the price up....lol.......ok,ok.....i like Fairley at #3.

Not always. Joe Montana, a 3rd round draft pick took the 49ers to 4 Superbowls and won all 4. Tom Brady, a 6th round draft pick took the Pats to 4 Superbowls and won 3 (and looks to be on his way to a 5th Superbowl). While the Manning bros were both first round draft picks, combined they went to 3 Superbowls on won two. Granted every Bills fan would love even one Superbowl victory, it's not essential to have a first round QB all the time. For every Manning (Peyton & Eli), and Rivers there are a bunch of Achilies Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Matt Leinhart, Brady Quinn, JP Losman type QB's out there.

Granted the Bills need a franchise QB and a whole bunch of other positions as well. If the Bills don't get some serious pass rushers that can put constant pressure on Brady, we're never gonna beat the Pats as long as Brady is in a Pats uniform.

Not to point you out personally but to all similar posters in general - I get so sick of people naming the one or two QB's that won Super Bowls that are the exception from the later rounds and listing the 1st round busts as their arguments against QB with the first pick next year. No one ever mentions the 10's or 100's of QB's picked in rounds 2 and beyond that didn't do squat. The only reason they name the 1st rounders is because they actually heard of them and can remember their names. The fact is (and I'm sure someone with way more time to actually count it up could verify) that a first round QB pick has a way better chance of getting to and winning a Superbowl than any other round. Period. Is everyone one going to do it? No, of course not. Are there going to be ones from other rounds to do so? Yes, of course there is. But lets play the percentages, please. In fact, lets draft more than one QB in the draft and increase our chances even more of finding a great one.

In addition, to all those people saying that we need a DT or DE or O-line more than a QB. You're f'n nuts. Please name any single player of any of those positions that has led their teams to superbowls? Have they helped, sure, but truly led a team to one? I can't recall one. QB, on the other hand, is stacked with these types of players. Open your eyes. There is a reason we haven't been anything since the mid 90's (even counting when we had the best D in the league in the late 90's), no stud QB like Jimbo. Done, end of discussion, draft a QB please. Luck, Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, Locker (hesitantly), I don't care but get someone. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Mark80

Not to point you out personally but to all similar posters in general - I get so sick of people naming the one or two QB's that won Super Bowls that are the exception from the later rounds and listing the 1st round busts as their arguments against QB with the first pick next year. No one ever mentions the 10's or 100's of QB's picked in rounds 2 and beyond that didn't do squat. The only reason they name the 1st rounders is because they actually heard of them and can remember their names. The fact is (and I'm sure someone with way more time to actually count it up could verify) that a first round QB pick has a way better chance of getting to and winning a Superbowl than any other round. Period. Is everyone one going to do it? No, of course not. Are there going to be ones from other rounds to do so? Yes, of course there is. But lets play the percentages, please. In fact, lets draft more than one QB in the draft and increase our chances even more of finding a great one.

In addition, to all those people saying that we need a DT or DE or O-line more than a QB. You're f'n nuts. Please name any single player of any of those positions that has led their teams to superbowls? Have they helped, sure, but truly led a team to one? I can't recall one. QB, on the other hand, is stacked with these types of players. Open your eyes. There is a reason we haven't been anything since the mid 90's (even counting when we had the best D in the league in the late 90's), no stud QB like Jimbo. Done, end of discussion, draft a QB please. Luck, Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, Locker (hesitantly), I don't care but get someone. Thanks for your time.

Ray Lewis & Warren Sapp.

The greater point is still true.

The Bills have been completely irrelevant in the Super Bowl era, except for the time the Bills' first round QB took them to 4 straight Super Bowls.

In the entire history of the Buffalo Bills, the Bills have taken 2 Quarterbacks in the first round.

Its time for a 3rd. You can argue up and down what any of the QBs lack, but Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, & Ryan Mallet are all special prospects that all offer something that doesn't come around in every draft. Some more than others.

I haven't watched 1 Mizzou game and it worries me of the dozens of draft nonsense I read McShay is the only one projecting this kid top5. McShay takes money from agents to prop up their clients.

After looking at the defensive talent in the 2011 draft, and there is a ton of talent in rounds 2-4, you can still bolster the defense by taking a first round QB.

I was in the take Fairely\Dareaus camp (Bowers is worrying me a bit, I wanted more in the Bowl game and I don't like he was a recruitment bust for the first two years of being on campus) looking at the list of available defensive players that the Bills can pick up in later rounds the Bills can still build a defensive while taking a QB 1st.

Although if anyone is going to fit into a Defensive team leader it could be Fairely, if he is there at 3 its pretty tempting.

Hurry up April.

Ray Lewis & Warren Sapp.

The greater point is still true.

The Bills have been completely irrelevant in the Super Bowl era, except for the time the Bills' first round QB took them to 4 straight Super Bowls.

In the entire history of the Buffalo Bills, the Bills have taken 2 Quarterbacks in the first round.

Its time for a 3rd. You can argue up and down what any of the QBs lack, but Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, & Ryan Mallet are all special prospects that all offer something that doesn't come around in every draft. Some more than others.

I haven't watched 1 Mizzou game and it worries me of the dozens of draft nonsense I read McShay is the only one projecting this kid top5. McShay takes money from agents to prop up their clients.

After looking at the defensive talent in the 2011 draft, and there is a ton of talent in rounds 2-4, you can still bolster the defense by taking a first round QB.

I was in the take Fairely\Dareaus camp (Bowers is worrying me a bit, I wanted more in the Bowl game and I don't like he was a recruitment bust for the first two years of being on campus) looking at the list of available defensive players that the Bills can pick up in later rounds the Bills can still build a defensive while taking a QB 1st.

Although if anyone is going to fit into a Defensive team leader it could be Fairely, if he is there at 3 its pretty tempting.

Hurry up April.

Ray Lewis, yes. Good call. I'd argue that Derrick Brooks was the best defensive player on the Bucs that year which is supported by his Defensive MVP award that year (but Sapp was pretty darn good too). But those two are both linebackers, not DE or DT's.

Edited by Mark80

Actually, the Bills have selected three 1st round QBs in their entire 51 years of drafting history. Riverboat Richie Lucas in 1960 (he played 2 seasons), Jim Kelly in 1983, and JP "The Bust" Losman in 2004 (he played 5). Both Kelly and Losman were the teams second 1st round pick in those drafts.

Perhaps the fact that the Bills so rarely go after top QB talent in the draft, and have only hit once, is related to the franchise's long history of failure.

Bills fan checking in from Boston...

Let me first say that I think Luck will go to Carolina but before its a foregone conclusion let me jsut remind everyone that at the beginning of the season teams were all vying to win the Jake Locker Sweepstakes... Granted combines are less for Qb's than other positions but stranger things have happened.

ProFootball Warroom today has us passing on Fairly and tacking Anthony Costanzo, the LT out of BC.

At #3? I want some of their drugs...he's a mid first round talent at best...not that there is anything wrong with that but we are not picking in the mid first round.

This is nicely said, but it seems to suggest that the Bills will never draft again. In all honesty, does anyone think we'll make the playoffs next year? The team drafted Bruce Smith high in 1985 and wisely grabbed the rights to Jim Kelly, should he leave the USFL. They got quite lucky in picking up Thurman Thomas in a later round and the Greg Bell trade blessed them with even more. Friends, that's how the Bills built that team in the 90s. It was comparable to the windfall that Dallas got with the trade with Minnesota. We have free agency now and things are different. I say build a good sound team and THEN plug in a good QB. You really want to toss out a college kid into this horror show? We have a few years to do this. Maybe in 2 years we can trade up to get somebody awesome. Not now.

I say build a good sound team and THEN plug in a good QB. You really want to toss out a college kid into this horror show? We have a few years to do this. Maybe in 2 years we can trade up to get somebody awesome. Not now.

unfortunately this is very true. patience is required.

Even if we got Luck, do we want to be the team that got Luck killed? we need to do this right.

Edited by dgrid

Actually, the Bills have selected three 1st round QBs in their entire 51 years of drafting history. Riverboat Richie Lucas in 1960 (he played 2 seasons), Jim Kelly in 1983, and JP "The Bust" Losman in 2004 (he played 5). Both Kelly and Losman were the teams second 1st round pick in those drafts.

Perhaps the fact that the Bills so rarely go after top QB talent in the draft, and have only hit once, is related to the franchise's long history of failure.

Good find! I thought he was our first ever pick.. Also, Dennis Shaw was selected 30th overall in '70, albeit early second round

Not 6th rounders, but Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were unsigned FAs.

What are you talking about? Lomas Brown was picked 6th. We were comparing 2-4 vs. 7-9, which was what was being discussed Saturday night/Sunday morning here.