Shawne Merriman tweets "exciting news for bills fans"

FluffHead

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm predicting a one year deal for Merriman near vet minimum but with incentives. No other team is going to offer him anything. At least he has a relationship with Nix and may like the direction Chan is taking the team.

PTR

Its a low risk high reward type of move. If he gets hurt or under preforms oh well nothing ventured nothing gained BUT the potential is there for him to play well. Nothing major given up but a whole lot left to gain.

Not sure why, but the idea of Merriman re-signing with the Bills does not excite me very much...given his productivity over the last three years, I would think he would be tweeting that he has exciting news for himself...not so much Bills fans.

I'm predicting a one year deal for Merriman near vet minimum but with incentives. No other team is going to offer him anything. At least he has a relationship with Nix and may like the direction Chan is taking the team.

PTR

Both Miami and Tampa Bay put a waiver claim for him after the Chargers released him. That is, they were ready to pay the 3.2M to sign him to their team.

If Miami and an upcoming Tampa offer even the Vet Minimum, I see Merriman going there rather than cold Buffalo.

Both Miami and Tampa Bay put a waiver claim for him after the Chargers released him. That is, they were ready to pay the 3.2M to sign him to their team.

If Miami and an upcoming Tampa offer even the Vet Minimum, I see Merriman going there rather than cold Buffalo.

Uh, okay.

So what then do you make of Merriman's tweet?

I am happy about the news if he is re-signing in Buffalo. Even in his 4 sack year he led the team in QB hurries and most will tell you he improved against the run that year. remember 4 sacks is still more than we got from Kelsey. Draft a DE that can generate pressure and sign a ILB to help man the middle and we have a better defense, but how hard would that be?

Not sure why, but the idea of Merriman re-signing with the Bills does not excite me very much...given his productivity over the last three years, I would think he would be tweeting that he has exciting news for himself...not so much Bills fans.

I understand your skepticism especially as you mention, what he's done the last three years. But what is exciting is the possibility of him getting past personal issues and some injuries, and resembling the type of player he was. If he does that, it could be substantial for a team starving for LB's.