Shawne Merriman tweets "exciting news for bills fans"

FluffHead

Just to be clear though.....we should not be relying on Shawn to come back and be a stud for us....we still need to go out and get other players should that not happen.

Gotta hedge our bets

I guess his re signing would be exciting news, but if they use this as an excuse to not strengthen the LB core and just say, "Well, we did sign a former pro bowler," then this is just bad news.

You guys have a legit concern…but I remember when Buddy Nix took the reins and he espoused the "San Diego Philosophy" which is getting the best talent regardless of depth at that position…what Nix called "stacking talent."

This philosophy manifested itself (negatively some would say) when we drafted Spiller on top of Lynch and Jackson.

But the point is that by the same token, I doubt heavily that the Bills would not draft a premier pass rusher just because they end up having Merriman in the fold.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have a legit concern…but I remember when Buddy Nix took the reins and he espoused the "San Diego Philosophy" which is getting the best talent regardless of depth at that position…what Nix called "stacking talent."

This philosophy manifested itself (negatively some would say) when we drafted Spiller on top of Lynch and Jackson.

But the point is that by the same token, I doubt heavily that the Bills would not draft a premier pass rusher just because they end up having Merriman in the fold.

It's a good philosophy to have. One that several teams employ. Like the Pats, despite a few years back when they had Seymour, drafted Wilfork,Warren.Yeah they traded Seymour, but still went out and drafted Ron Brace. Or the Giants despite having Tuck/Osi continue to stack pass rushers,Like Jason Pierre Paul.Kiwanuka, chris canty etc etc. Good teams don't go "Well we have 1 guy there let's go elsewhere. Re-signing Merriman is no reason at all not to look for pass rushers.

Star players will come to Buffalo when the organization starts (1) winning, and (2) paying for performance.

Most players want to win. Put together a team that has a shot at the Super Bowl and free agents will come. These guys make so much money that they can live anywhere they want.

Merriman has a lot to prove and obviously he and Nix have a great relationship. If he can come back it will be one big step forward for the defense.

+1

Not horrible, its a sign buffalo isn't going to rest this off-season. Basically its a one year audition, 2.5 million is a very low guarantee.

Actually, and I hope this isn't true, but it may mean the opposite. They may stand pat and point to this as evidence that they "want to win". But if that's not the case, then I'm very happy with this signing. Not that much so if he gets hurt again it won't kill us.

Edited by bills1960

i assume the bills medical staff has had a chance to monitor his health since he has been here and the bills are satisfied that he can get back to playing healthy. this would be much different if we simply went after him in the offseason and gave a simple exam.