I want Cam Newton

buffalo_bills

The thinly veiled racism that comes out in these threads is astounding sometimes.

Regardless of our defensive needs and speaking strictly about Newton, I'm completely torn. I really like the kid as a player and think with a year to sit behind Fitz and with Gailey developing him, he could really turn out well for the Bills. However, I don't like the fact that he is basically a "One Year Wonder". I'd love to say "not until our second round pick", but there is no way he falls that far. I'd want to do a couple of interviews with him first, but I guess I'll have to leave the up to Buddy. Nix and Gailey are well aware of the personnel holes this team has. If they feel that he will make the transition into the NFL and want to use a #3 overall on him, then I trust their judgment.

Why weren't they aware before the last draft? They ignired obvious holes on both sides of the ball because of the decision to move to a 3/4 defense, yet you trust that they'll get it right this time?

Count me as one who's completely against this. He's a thug & a thief. To me, he's just another Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young. Braun, talent, witless.

Geneology? His father is a pimp..

based on what facts

How do you know Luck can read a defense? or Kellen Moore? or who knew Tom Brady would be that good? Fact is nobody knows until they get on the field so why not give the kid a shot? I agree with you I do but with his mobility I think if he get in trouble he can just run until he get better at reading defenses and since we have no O-Line he will or our QB will need to run for his life....

This is just blatant racist shi*t c'mon son really? This is why nobody thinks Buffalo is ready for a black quarterback...

I want Cam as a Bill he'll bring excitement to a team that is flat and boring period. I mean if Luck is there take him but if not Cam and Chan (That rhymes) well be ok in my book.... Lets go Cam...

I believe Buffalo actually has either the first or one of the first black qb's in James Harris

Why weren't they aware before the last draft? They ignired obvious holes on both sides of the ball because of the decision to move to a 3/4 defense, yet you trust that they'll get it right this time?

I keep hearing this but it is a long term view. Again what player would you have liked them to picked at 9 that has as mich upside as Spiller.

By the way 90 percent of the board begged for years to switch to a 3/4 change does not happen over night

I believe Buffalo actually has either the first or one of the first black qb's in James Harris

Marlin Briscoe started several games in Denver, he was traded to Buffalo where he played WR.

Buffalo did draft and play James Harris.

Google is your friend. Search out Briscoe...

I think Cam Newton will make it in the NFL as a QB. I wouldn't totally hate it if the Bills took him in the first round, but I really believe that this team's lines need to be rebuilt. A pick this high could go a long way towards fixing a glaring hole on one of the lines if they choose wisely. Behind a better line, or with a better defense keeping opponents off the field I suspect you'd see enough out of Fitzpatrick to not be upset that the Bills didn't pick a QB high.

I keep hearing this but it is a long term view. Again what player would you have liked them to picked at 9 that has as mich upside as Spiller.

I hate this statement and have read it a few times today.

Me personally? I would have liked almost any other player drafted in the first round, and a few in the second, over Spiller. Bulaga, Iupati, and Pouncy on the OL, JPP, D.Morgan, B.Graham, on the DL. Hell even Lamarr Houston. Him, Gronkowski and B Spikes all went after our second round pick and I would have preferred all three of them to Spiller 10 times over. Not just for this season but for the next 15 season moving forward. I would have taken Gerhart and Best before Spiller if I had to pick a RB. Hell, I would have taken Tebow to play RB before Spiller! I also would have taken a flyer on him to play QB before spissing away a pick on Spiller. Clausen too. Dez Bryant was the true BPA, he would have been much better. We could have used Grasham for sure – he was a better prospect than Spiller if you ask me.. Hell, I would have snapped if we took Earl Thomas, but if they came out and said “it came down to Thomas or Spiller and we took Thomas” I would have at least been able to feel a little bit better about it because I would have rather had Thomas too.

Crap, I just had to Wikipedia the 2010 draft and look through the entire first round because I couldn’t think of a single player I wouldn’t have preferred to Spiller. Leaving out all of the CBs, there is only one player I would have even remotely considered Spiller over, and that is Anthony Davis. Even still that’s a stretch as I am sure I would have reached for the heavens for a T before reaching for a KR. You just don’t take KRs in the top 10!!!!!

I hate this statement and have read it a few times today.

Me personally? I would have liked almost any other player drafted in the first round, and a few in the second, over Spiller. Bulaga, Iupati, and Pouncy on the OL, JPP, D.Morgan, B.Graham, on the DL. Hell even Lamarr Houston. Him, Gronkowski and B Spikes all went after our second round pick and I would have preferred all three of them to Spiller 10 times over. Not just for this season but for the next 15 season moving forward. I would have taken Gerhart and Best before Spiller if I had to pick a RB. Hell, I would have taken Tebow to play RB before Spiller! I also would have taken a flyer on him to play QB before spissing away a pick on Spiller. Clausen too. Dez Bryant was the true BPA, he would have been much better. We could have used Grasham for sure – he was a better prospect than Spiller if you ask me.. Hell, I would have snapped if we took Earl Thomas, but if they came out and said “it came down to Thomas or Spiller and we took Thomas” I would have at least been able to feel a little bit better about it because I would have rather had Thomas too.

Crap, I just had to Wikipedia the 2010 draft and look through the entire first round because I couldn’t think of a single player I wouldn’t have preferred to Spiller. Leaving out all of the CBs, there is only one player I would have even remotely considered Spiller over, and that is Anthony Davis. Even still that’s a stretch as I am sure I would have reached for the heavens for a T before reaching for a KR. You just don’t take KRs in the top 10!!!!!

Are there any links to your posts BEFORE the draft where you mention all these players you would have taken before Spiller?

GO BILLS!!!

How do you know Luck can read a defense? or Kellen Moore? or who knew Tom Brady would be that good? Fact is nobody knows until they get on the field so why not give the kid a shot? I agree with you I do but with his mobility I think if he get in trouble he can just run until he get better at reading defenses and since we have no O-Line he will or our QB will need to run for his life....

This is just blatant racist shi*t c'mon son really? This is why nobody thinks Buffalo is ready for a black quarterback...

I want Cam as a Bill he'll bring excitement to a team that is flat and boring period. I mean if Luck is there take him but if not Cam and Chan (That rhymes) well be ok in my book.... Lets go Cam...

I suppose I could have added Tebow in the mix of recent 1st round Super-sized college QB's, who played like a man against boys while accumulating thousands of yards rushing, but it's too early to tell if he'll flop at the pro level. Also, I'm pretty sure there's no evidence of him being a thief , nor his father seeking financial enticements for his son to attend school. But, like Russell & Young, the number of QB's italicized above who've had memorable NFL careers can be counted on one hand -or less! Again, I'd pass on this with an early 1st rounder.

The only issue I have with skin is yours. Way too thin!

This kid is gonna be special. I've watched about 5 Auburn games, and this kid can run, and throw, and hes a winner. All this off-field issues are being blown out of proportion. Some of you may/may not want him, but im a big fan. Thoughts?

Not with our 1st round pick . . .

Are there any links to your posts BEFORE the draft where you mention all these players you would have taken before Spiller?

GO BILLS!!!

Yes there are many. For the record the first round of the draft was held on April 22nd, not all of these are pre draft, but all are before teh season.

In this first post I come right out and say that I dont see Spiller as first round meterial.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111759-is-there-a-player-the-bills-could-possibly-take-at-9/page__p__1826048__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1#entry1826048

Here is one where I call him a gimmick RB/return man only.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111817-is-cj-spiller-sending-a-coded-message-to-the-bills/page__p__1827270__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1827270

more of the same

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111880-spiller-top-choice/page__p__1827896__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1827896

haha i like tebow :ph34r:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112130-1st-round-wrapup/page__p__1832652__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1832652

I still like Tebow

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112176-drafting-quality-v-need/page__p__1833240__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1833240

I am still waiting for my apology

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112162-charles-davislol/page__p__1833256__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1833256

EDIT:

This one I say Id rather have Iupati, Puncy, Spikes over D Bryant, who I would have taken over spiller, which is in the last link.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111874-dez-bryant/page__p__1827895__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/116240-in-case-you-were-wondering-why-we-drafted-spiller-9th/page__st__20__p__1914592__hl__%22over+spiller%22__fromsearch__1#entry1914592

END EDIT.

And of course, the crowning jewel.... Almost the exact same post from August.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117479-gailey-already-blaming-o-line/page__st__100__p__1938101__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1#entry1938101

Now I know I have some of the strongest opinions on this board and I voice them openly. I, along with many other posters, predicted exactly what has happened so far with Spiller. I may not be a genious but I have had a pretty good streak of elauating college players for the NFL the last few years. Over the past 10 years my dream first three rounds have been light years better than the Bills. Drafting better than the Bills is so easy an internet poster can do it and remain undefeated! Thats how bad it is at OBD.

Edited by Thoner7

Cam Newton = Combination of Vince Young/Jamarcus Russell/Dante Cullpepper who will more then likely hold out and not fit into the Buffalo culture or climate (ie McGahee).

We should either trade up to get Luck or draft the best DL, LB or OT.

What culture are you referring to? He is nothing like McGahee in terms of presentation at the very least. Newton has no similarity to Russell. Culpepper was a good QB for a long time. Vince Young is a head case. Newton has not displayed any traits of a head case. In fact, Newton has played great while under pressure on the field, but more importantly off the field. Nobody would fit into the part of Buffalo culture that is assumptive and arrogantly judgemental about people who are perceived as different in some way from "normal" Buffalonians. Yet, these people never tell the board what makes a "normal" Buffalonian.

Edited by purple haze

Can anyone name a QB like Newton who has had long term success in the NFL? Long term being defined as sustained high quality play and at least a modicum of post season success.

The ONLY one I can think of is Steve Young. Guys like Vick, Randall Cunningham, VY,and Tebow just don't work out in the NFL. Even Steve Young had his career cut short because of his running, and only had success while surrounded by an amazing supporting cast. Take a look at Vick this year. His best year as a pro, he's missed games because of injury and appears to be wearing down right in time for the playoffs.

But I do have to admit, watching Cam play, I wouldn't hate it if the Bills took a chance on him. Cam is like Tebow, except better in his mechanics and physical attributes. Assuming he will put in the time off the field, maybe he could buck the trend.

Edited by DC Grid

After seening that kid from Minnesota last night, a QB drafted to be a receiver play....I am beginning to think that pro QB's are where you find them...the Vikes did not know about this kid, and he turns out to be a player/QB. I would not be surprised to see this kid start at QB next year for the Vikes. So, there is always the Bradford example...but, there is the JaMarcus Russel example. Personally, I want a killer DE in the first round.

Webb was QB at UAB. Vikes switched him to WR then switched him back when they saw him throwing the rock before practice.

Nobody would fit into the part of Buffalo culture that is assumptive and arrogantly judgemental about people who are perceived as different in some way from "normal" Buffalonians which those people only know what's makes a "normal" Buffalonian.

spelling/grammar aside, this is probably one of the best things ive ever read posted here. regardless of thread topic. i get your point and its very true.

everyone wants a "Buffalonian", and no one realizes just how closed off of a clique it is.

Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning would disagree with you

Disagree. I'd bet if you asked any of them if they were ready to read NFL defenses when they came into the league, they would laugh and say "Hell No!".

spelling/grammar aside, this is probably one of the best things ive ever read posted here. regardless of thread topic. i get your point and its very true.

everyone wants a "Buffalonian", and no one realizes just how closed off of a clique it is.

Re-editing. Thank you for the spell check.

Edited by purple haze

Yes there are many. For the record the first round of the draft was held on April 22nd, not all of these are pre draft, but all are before teh season.

In this first post I come right out and say that I dont see Spiller as first round meterial.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111759-is-there-a-player-the-bills-could-possibly-take-at-9/page__p__1826048__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1#entry1826048

Here is one where I call him a gimmick RB/return man only.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111817-is-cj-spiller-sending-a-coded-message-to-the-bills/page__p__1827270__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1827270

more of the same

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111880-spiller-top-choice/page__p__1827896__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1827896

haha i like tebow :ph34r:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112130-1st-round-wrapup/page__p__1832652__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1832652

I still like Tebow

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112176-drafting-quality-v-need/page__p__1833240__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1833240

I am still waiting for my apology

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/112162-charles-davislol/page__p__1833256__hl__spiller__fromsearch__1#entry1833256

EDIT:

This one I say Id rather have Iupati, Puncy, Spikes over D Bryant, who I would have taken over spiller, which is in the last link.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/111874-dez-bryant/page__p__1827895__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/116240-in-case-you-were-wondering-why-we-drafted-spiller-9th/page__st__20__p__1914592__hl__%22over+spiller%22__fromsearch__1#entry1914592

END EDIT.

And of course, the crowning jewel.... Almost the exact same post from August.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117479-gailey-already-blaming-o-line/page__st__100__p__1938101__hl__bryant__fromsearch__1#entry1938101

Now I know I have some of the strongest opinions on this board and I voice them openly. I, along with many other posters, predicted exactly what has happened so far with Spiller. I may not be a genious but I have had a pretty good streak of elauating college players for the NFL the last few years. Over the past 10 years my dream first three rounds have been light years better than the Bills. Drafting better than the Bills is so easy an internet poster can do it and remain undefeated! Thats how bad it is at OBD.

Congrats on the good record Thoner.....but i am sure that someone as smart as you knows you dont base how well a rookie is going to do based off of his rookie season.

Spiller is coming along.....it seems to me that he is making more plays and getting a little better with each passing game (yes I know he had a hard time hanging onto the ball but so did the whole team this past game). And i dont consider him to "gimmick" running back. Spiller is on a learning curve where he sees that he cannot get the edge on every single play.....now you are seeing him running it up inside even when he should cut it to the outside. He is going to be ok.

Didn't we learn anything from the Maybin draft? One year college wonders are just a bust. I'm not saying Newton is not exciting to watch but, why would you bench Fitz and plug in a kid who more than likely cant read a pro D. yea, ha can run. So what! We finally got a QB who can keep our O in the game and have a shot at winning and you all want to just get rid of him. We need a middle LB like P Willie in SF! Poz is ok. We need someone who strikes feer in the eyes of aponenets. If we don't focus on the D next year were doomed again. JMO

No one said bench Fitz! We sit newton for a couple years and then see what happens.

Not a real bad idea :thumbsup:

Die Hard! Hello!

I haven't seen much of Cam Newton.

Maybe I'm wrong, it seems one thing that distinguishes QB who "make the step" to the NFL (Ryan, Manning, Brady) from those who flame out (Leaf, Russell, Young), is the strength of their desire to compete and improve, coupled with mental toughness and sufficient intelligence.

If you agree, do you think Newton has these qualities?

Also would love to know your take on the Bills season.

It seems like overall perception has shifted from them being walk-overs, "worst team in the NFL", to "scrappy".

I also hear a lot of team-talk.

How far do you think we are from where we need to go?

Not really. He wasn’t asked the question straight up. He actually went out of his way to say how smart the kid is when it comes to defensive football. He talked about his football IQ like it was superior to his athletic ability.

I was never a fan of drafting Newton until now. Im not sure if he will like Buffalo or not (prob not) but if he is a player we should grab him. I actually do have confidence in Buddy Chan being able to assess a QBs mind. They knew to go after Tebow and to stay away from Clausen when most everyone was leaning the other way, and the only explanation would be those two guys mental understanding of the game.

PS Newtons arm is not stronger than Tebow whoever said that. You may not like Tebow but the dude throws lazers. He had some throws in the Houston game (60+ yarders on a frozen rope while rolling out) that only Vick or the 1998 Farve could have made. Even I was surprised he could do that. Newtons is not weak, but Tebow is in the top 1% in terms of arm strength.

A lot of people talk about how Tebow has a strong arm, but I don't buy it. Long passes tend to turn into ducks on him and he seems to have to loft anything over 20 yards. Maybe it's just his bad mechanics, but Ive always chalked up throwing a bad deep ball to a lack of arm strength. Fwiw, in ESPN's pre draft breakdown they said Tebow had good nor elite arm strength and graded his arm strength as being in the second tier.

Edited by DC Grid

So where do you get this bullsh*t from? If you don't want him, that's fine. But why the bullsh*t comparison??

Obviously Cam doesn't have the same mechanical problems VY did coming out, and he has offield issues unlike VY when he came out of college, but statistically the comparison isn't crazy.

Both are physically large QBs who are mobile and known for leading their teams to big victories. Both played in the BCS championship in their 3rd year of eligibility, and their stats are below:

VY 3,036 yards, 26 TDs, 10 ints, 1,050 rush yards, 6.8 avg, 12 TDs.

Cam 2,589 yards, 28 Tds, 6 ints, 1,409 rush yards, 5.8 avg, 20 TDs.

How could you ever compare two completely different qbs? What basis could there possibly be?

A lot of people talk about how Tebow has a strong arm, but I don't buy it. Long passes tend to turn into ducks on him and he seems to have to loft anything over 20 yards. Maybe it's just his bad mechanics, but Ive always chalked up throwing a bad deep ball to a lack of arm strength. Fwiw, in ESPN's pre draft breakdown they said Tebow had good nor elite arm strength and graded his arm strength as being in the second tier.

Tebow throws a very good deep ball, actually his best passes are always deep balls.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010122609/2010/REG16/texans@broncos#tab:watch

He has some sweet throws there, mainly the second half of the video. The one where he is falling abckwards is very impressive. Also check out the video with him miced up on the main page, its pretty cool. at the end of the game, he runs to his coach and says "no one else carries teh ball here" Then goes to the huddle, calls a QB run play, and guarantees they score/win the game. Then he proceeds to score on the enxt play - really cool.

I do not want to see any QB drafted by us in the first round. We need LBs and DL first.

I totally agree, but what if we get our defense right and Fitz ends up not being the answer at QB and he's say 30 or 31? Then you're no where again. I think we have to accomplish both somehow. We have to make sure our QB of the future is ready to go at the same time our defense comes together.

No college Qb can yet read an NFL defense.

Newton won't be available in the 2nd round unless he completely bombs in the BCS game.

Then forget him. Mobile QBs in the cold and snow don't add much. Not that I am a fan of how the Steelers play, but that is the model for the Bills. Boring, run the ball and play defense. Boring, but in November and December, thats how you win.

This kid is gonna be special. I've watched about 5 Auburn games, and this kid can run, and throw, and hes a winner. All this off-field issues are being blown out of proportion. Some of you may/may not want him, but im a big fan. Thoughts?

I agree with you. I have watched him as well and I can't wait to see him against Oregon and at the combine. Newton is a special player and he is going to be a great NFL player barring injury. His throwing motion is unflawed. His arm is strong and accurate. Athletically there is no one like him in football. Faster than Tebow and is strong like Rothlesberger, bigger than Vick, more of a leader than Vince Young.

Edited by Trader

Then forget him. Mobile QBs in the cold and snow don't add much. Not that I am a fan of how the Steelers play, but that is the model for the Bills. Boring, run the ball and play defense. Boring, but in November and December, thats how you win.

Not true. First, the "cold and snow" only comes into play maybe 2 games a year, even in Buffalo. Second, if you don't have a solid passing game, you can't score.

The Steelers and the Bills have about the same yards per game on the ground. Despite an incredibly easy schedule, the Steelers have 2 quality wins (one came in week one). They need a new formula.

The SB will be fought over by two teams that have solid D and throw the ball.