Buffalo is a ghost town - the worst city ever...

BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between a ghost town and a place where people are out, places are open but not many people are walking around. When someone says a place is a "ghost town" I figure nothing is open, there is nothing to do, etc.

Exactly. How many places is the whole city just buzzing with people?

I was at the US - Slovakia game and I didn't know why Etem was getting booed each time he touched the puck. I assumed it was something he had done to rile up the many Canadians at the game. I eventually learned the story. It was not a smart thing to Tweet. The chatter made it's way around the arena and the booing got worse. And Etem did get booed a lot! Put the tournament in Long Beach and see what kind of ticket sales they do. Etem did score in the game. It was funny as Etem gained control of the puck, got booed, scored and turned the boos into cheers! Etem will be a pro in the near future and he will be remembered for his comments.

There is a good number of Buffalo people who have busted their butts off trying to organize this event. There is also a good number of locals who are volunteering - read: not getting paid. I am hoping that there is an economic windfall for Buffalonians as a result of this tourney. I have a full pass for the games at HSBC and I am having a great time! I don't have any complaints. I do wish more Americans would show up! More Americans showed at this game compared to Sunday's game.

I am not going to bag on Medicine Hat nor Long Beach. I have traveled enough to know that I don't always need a sparkling metropolis to make my travels enjoyable. Small towns in the U.S. have pleasantly surprised me in the past. I haven't been to Medicine Hat but I have been to Long Beach. I am not a big Orange County person but I would pick Huntington Beach and Newport Beach over Long Beach. LB just isn't for me that's all. There are a lot of beautiful women in Orange County!

I can't agree with the perception that hockey is big in Southern California. Not in San Diego. They are trying their best in Anaheim. A growing number of kids in the OC are into hockey. The NBA is big in SC.

When I look around downtown Buffalo I see the remainder of what was some very creative planning long ago. Around HSBC, the infrastructure hasn't begun to fill out. I see a lot of potential for the area. Some entrepreneurs baring jobs in downtown would be cool for the area. If that ever happens then living downtown would be an attractive option for some with the necessary infrastructure filling in later. But that scenario is a ways away.

People who bag on Buffalo don't understand the pain that many of us know in regards to the demise of our city. I know that story of fathers laid off and mothers with kids wondering "Now what?". That pain is real. And that pain is not funny to many of us. We are tired of the swipes.

Finally, I agree with Chef, this was an eighteen year old tweeting his impressions. He could have done worse things in life. Let the booing run it's course then let the guy alone. Go USA!!!

I was at the US - Slovakia game and I didn't know why Etem was getting booed each time he touched the puck. I assumed it was something he had done to rile up the many Canadians at the game. I eventually learned the story. It was not a smart thing to Tweet. The chatter made it's way around the arena and the booing got worse. And Etem did get booed a lot! Put the tournament in Long Beach and see what kind of ticket sales they do. Etem did score in the game. It was funny as Etem gained control of the puck, got booed, scored and turned the boos into cheers! Etem will be a pro in the near future and he will be remembered for his comments.

There is a good number of Buffalo people who have busted their butts off trying to organize this event. There is also a good number of locals who are volunteering - read: not getting paid. I am hoping that there is an economic windfall for Buffalonians as a result of this tourney. I have a full pass for the games at HSBC and I am having a great time! I don't have any complaints. I do wish more Americans would show up! More Americans showed at this game compared to Sunday's game.

I am not going to bag on Medicine Hat nor Long Beach. I have traveled enough to know that I don't always need a sparkling metropolis to make my travels enjoyable. Small towns in the U.S. have pleasantly surprised me in the past. I haven't been to Medicine Hat but I have been to Long Beach. I am not a big Orange County person but I would pick Huntington Beach and Newport Beach over Long Beach. LB just isn't for me that's all. There are a lot of beautiful women in Orange County!

I can't agree with the perception that hockey is big in Southern California. Not in San Diego. They are trying their best in Anaheim. A growing number of kids in the OC are into hockey. The NBA is big in SC.

When I look around downtown Buffalo I see the remainder of what was some very creative planning long ago. Around HSBC, the infrastructure hasn't begun to fill out. I see a lot of potential for the area. Some entrepreneurs baring jobs in downtown would be cool for the area. If that ever happens then living downtown would be an attractive option for some with the necessary infrastructure filling in later. But that scenario is a ways away.

People who bag on Buffalo don't understand the pain that many of us know in regards to the demise of our city. I know that story of fathers laid off and mothers with kids wondering "Now what?". That pain is real. And that pain is not funny to many of us. We are tired of the swipes.

Finally, I agree with Chef, this was an eighteen year old tweeting his impressions. He could have done worse things in life. Let the booing run it's course then let the guy alone. Go USA!!!

Hockey has always been big in southern Cali... A perfect suburban enviro... That is the perception that I always got... Especially with the Kings in LA in 1967.

Southern Cal/LA... That is where the Zamboni® (Frank Zamboni) was invented, right? It has been what, almost 65 years... Without that invention (and thanks to Sonya Henie)... All ice sports would still be in the Stone Age. Anyway, isn't Iceland in Paramount, CA... One of the older "maintained" rinks (believe it or not, was first an open air rink) in the nation? Long/Huntington Beach is just a stone's throw from this historical epicenter (sounds odd in geographical reality I know) of American "ice sports."

A hockey player of his caliber comes from Long Beach? How'd that happen?

:huh:

Like I said... Without that region (SoCal, the impetus for inventing the Zamboni® and Sonya Henie tour of the country)... Ice sports would still be in the Stone Age... Or at the very best would have been slower to take off.

That area has a very long (no pun intended) history of advancing the marketability of hockey and other ice sports. Read up on the history and you will get out of your myopic thinking.

Anyway... Isn't there a Ontario, CA...:P;)

His caliper? Next stop Illinois boatman, $500 a week take it or leave it. P/T seasonal.

Is this my cue????

:D:worthy: :worthy:

I WISH it was seasonal! Well actually I began 20 years ago seasonal... They stopped that whole charade after a few years when they figured out that things were kept running year 'round commercially.

Anyway... I got about 20" of ice on the river and boats (barges) are still plying through it... This weekend's thaw (in the 50's) should ease the journey's a bit. In matter of fact I gotta go out in the 14 degree cold in a few minutes to grab a vessel locking northbound... Let alone every hour or so to keep the whole damn thing from freezing in for the winter (various tools and tricks are used to keep things ice free). This is the busiest time of the year, job/workwise,., In the summer you wish winter on the place to get the drunk pleasure boats off the water... Yet, you don't wish for the deep, deep, AND EARLY freeze! :wallbash:

Were all the bars on Chippewa closed? What about the Elmwood strip? Allentown?

On Monday nites, Deano, I believe all the bars on Chippewa actually are closed. (Go figure!)

BTW, the kid is 18 years old - he was probably looking for a mall, rather than a bar. (Maybe we should put a Bass Pro - or something like that - downtown??? B-) )

Anyway, I opined earlier that the fans would let him know how they felt - and they did...

The crowd of 12,750 at HSBC Arena let him know what they felt about his remarks Tuesday in USA's second game of the International Ice Hockey Federation U-20 World Junior Championships...At the beginning of the game when he was introduced, Etem was loudly booed. But that was just the beginning. Every time the Anaheim Ducks prospect touched the puck, he was greeted with more thunderous boos.

Link - Etem would like to have his words back

In other news, local parking lot owner/operator/a-hole Jim Sandoro is insulting the people of Buffalo in his own unique way...

As Buffalo welcomes hockey fans, those who drive find that lots near arena are gougers' paradise

To put it in perspective I was in Chicago a couple weekends ago which is the 3rd largest city in the U.S. and it was a ghost town there on a sunday night as well! I was pretty surprised at that because even though it was a sunday night and the weather was pretty bad earlier in the day you would still think there'd be some life in some bars just due to the sheer numbers of the people there. And this was a sunday where the Bears had a home game(granted they did get destroyed by the Patriots which may have also contributed to nobody being in sight)

You want a ghost town. Go to Newark NJ. I was there for a Sabres Devils game a few months back and there was literally nothing to do. We walked around for an hour trying to find a place to eat around the arena, wound up eating at a subway. It was pretty bad.

There were street vendors selling "Officially liscensed product" Jerseys, purses, shoes. . . but that was really it.

To put it in perspective I was in Chicago a couple weekends ago which is the 3rd largest city in the U.S. and it was a ghost town there on a sunday night as well! I was pretty surprised at that because even though it was a sunday night and the weather was pretty bad earlier in the day you would still think there'd be some life in some bars just due to the sheer numbers of the people there. And this was a sunday where the Bears had a home game(granted they did get destroyed by the Patriots which may have also contributed to nobody being in sight)

Depends on where you were. In San Francisco if you're in the financial district on the weekends it's dead. Well of course it is no one is working. But just a few blocks away in Chinatown, North Beach, the Ferry Building, Fishermans's Wharf, SOMA, it's packed.

Knowing where to go is the key for most cities. Just about any city can look like a ghost town in certain areas. I was in Charlotte for the Bills game last year and stayed to party at a couple bars after the game. We walked back to the hotel room and there was absolutely no one around. Even when we went out Saturday night, there really was only a few strips that were really rocking.

Knowing where to go is true in Buffalo, especially on a holiday weekend. He'll get a chance to see the city during the day and it will be a 180 from what he witnessed previously. The problem is most people go into the city to work and then back to the suburbs to live. Buffalo has been trying to attract more people to live downtown. They have remodeled old building and made them into very nice lofts which are starting to attract more young people to live in the city. But they still have a long way to go.

On Monday nites, Deano, I believe all the bars on Chippewa actually are closed. (Go figure!)

BTW, the kid is 18 years old - he was probably looking for a mall, rather than a bar.

You know, I never consider the possibility someone would be looking for something other than a bar. :doh:

Depends on where you were. In San Francisco if you're in the financial district on the weekends it's dead.

Knowing where to go is the key for most cities. Just about any city can look like a ghost town in certain areas.

Which goes to my original point. Downtown Buffalo isn't really a happening place at night. But that's not all of Buffalo.

Since he wasn't looking for a bar (I'm still a bit befuddled) what do you suppose he was looking for? What's happening in downtown Medicine Hat on a Monday night? I'm guessing he was just looking for "activity" and didn't see any.

Since he wasn't looking for a bar (I'm still a bit befuddled) what do you suppose he was looking for?

Maybe some beach-volleyball? A half-pipe and some fellow skateboarders? Clearly, he's a bored young kid - and will be until he's old enough to get into bars!

I used to see Patrick Ewing frequently at the video game arcade on M Street in G-Town - maybe downtown needs a Dave & Busters :beer:

Edited by The Senator

Well that's exactly what happened to the SOMA district after they built AT&T park. Completely changed the area and 10 years later is still going. Impressive.

I have a hunch those who run San Fran are slightly more adept than those running Buffalo. In fact Buffalo should be part of any study of bad government. Kabul will have a Bass Pro before we do.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have a hunch those who run San Fran are slightly more adept than those running Buffalo. In fact Buffalo should be part of any study of bad government. Kabul will have a Bass Pro before we do.

PTR

Oh I think those running SF are just a bit more adept than those in Buffalo. So that puts SF at !@#$ed up and Buffalo at totally !@#$ed up. :devil:

Here's the reason SF can build those areas. In SF (especially 10 years ago when AT&T was built) there are tons of people that wouldn't bat an eye at spending $900k-$1m for a 1,000 sq ft condo. They started building those and converting old warehouses to incredible lofts and people moved in. Once they moved in all the businesses that support them came as well. Top notch restaurants, bars, interior design showrooms, wine bars etc, etc. It's been an amazing transformation. And the best part is very few homeless people. They're all on Market and the tenderloin.

Midtown Manhattan is a ghost town after 8PM. All except Times Square.

And, even Times Square - I went to the championship clinching World Series game 6 in 2009. There was a good amount of celebration and partying near the stadium, on that street that Stan's is on.

But, then after awhile, we decided to go back to the hotel in midtown, but we wanted to go to Times Square and celebrate there, before heading to the hotel. So, we get out of the subway, and there were crickets in Times Square. I'm guessing it was 1AM, the Yanks had just won the WS, and now there is nobody there. I didn't expect VJ Day, but I would have thought there would be a decent crowd......It was like when they used to have that live shot of the ESPN Zone on the Sports Reporters at 10AM, with nobody in Times Square, only with less people!

Best comment:

"Buffalo this time of year IS horrible. Think Siberia with MORE snow. Downtown near the arena is pretty dull. Looks like many former Soviet cities. But if you leave downtown, as many have said, you get to see the people are pretty awesome, some of the best, plus or minus a Patrick Kane or two."

Dude deleted it? Ok he is now the world's biggest kitty hockey player.

Ok, I officially hate the profanity filter. Kitty?!?!?!? Aren't we all adults here?

Questioning the profanity filter. I took that road once.... once.