Alice Cooper Band :thumbsup:

Neil Diamond WTF? :huh:

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Jac Holzman

Tom Waits

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

What do you think of the inductees and what do you think of the people or bands that didn't?

Edited by Dante

2011 inductees are

Alice Cooper Band

Neil Diamond

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Jac Holzman

Tom Waits

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

What do you think of the inductees and what do you think of the people or bands that didn't?

Dr. John, Waits, Love and Russel would get my vote.

Holzman certainly deserves to get in, if you induct record label guys. Not sure about Rupe.

Alice Cooper and Neil Diamond probably deserve it, but they wouldn't get my vote.

The R&R hall of fame is going to run out of quality inductees down the road (if they haven't already). It's going to be sad who they'll be inducting in 5-10 years.

Amen, R&R HOF is a joke now-a-days. Neil Diamond? Neil-F'ing-Diamond?!

All you have to do is look at the potential inductees here.

LL Cool J? He is a good and deserves in the HOF, but not for Rock and Roll.

Here are the current members...Let's take a look at some of them who are suspect;

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye

The Supremes

Stevie Wonder

Bobby Darin

Ike & Tina Turner

Etta James

Elton John (ok, maybe he's ok)

Al Green

BeeGees

James Taylor (I like his music, but it's not "rock and roll")

Prince

Madonna

I am sure there are more but I did not know them. I respect R&B but it is not R&R and therefore does not belong in Cleveland; then again, what does?

Amen, R&R HOF is a joke now-a-days. Neil Diamond? Neil-F'ing-Diamond?!

All you have to do is look at the potential inductees here.

LL Cool J? He is a good and deserves in the HOF, but not for Rock and Roll.

Here are the current members...Let's take a look at some of them who are suspect;

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye

The Supremes

Stevie Wonder

Bobby Darin

Ike & Tina Turner

Etta James

Elton John (ok, maybe he's ok)

Al Green

BeeGees

James Taylor (I like his music, but it's not "rock and roll")

Prince

Madonna

I am sure there are more but I did not know them. I respect R&B but it is not R&R and therefore does not belong in Cleveland; then again, what does?

I'm sorry but that is not a questionable list.

Other than Madonna it's a rather fine list, actually. And it's not that I necessarily think Madonna doesn't belong. I simply have no use for her and think she lacks musical/singing talent.

This year they left off Bon Jovi, Kiss and the Beastie Boys. Personally don't care for any of them. But I'd take any of them before I'd take Neil Diamond. Wrote good pop hits but rock and roll? Give me a break. Although you got to admit at the stadium everybody sings along to Sweet Caroline. I thought Cooper, Waits and Dr. John deserved to get in. Leon Russell was questionable. The others? Not so much. Who the hell is Art Rupe? I agree that a lot of people that are in probably shouldn't be there. But if you've ever seen Etta James perform when she was in her prime, she could put a lot of these white boys to shame.

Maybe it is generational? I see a big difference between Ozzy, the Beatles, the Who, AC/DC, and Buddy Holly vs. Madonna, Diana Ross, Al Green, and James Taylor?

Even todays music; will Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, and Katy Perry be considered rock music? The big rock and roll groups today such as Coheed and Cambria, Sick Puppies, Muse, Neon Trees, Alter Bridge, Atom Smash, and Stone Sour? Even older groups, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Marilyn Manson and Alice and Chains are far more rock then those I previously listed.

To me R&R is all about hard music, electric guitar driven, head banging or emotion pulling music. R&B may have the baseline, and pop-rock music may be catchy, but it is not R&R.

Neil !@#$ing Diamond, but RUSH and KISS sit out?

!@#$ing Jan Wenner is a no talent ass-clown who should stick to writing about his man-love for Obama and leave to music to people who have a !@#$ing clue.

Kiss is a joke. But if Alice Cooper gets in why not let another joke in?

I find Gene Simmons quite the interesting individual, but did you see when Paul Stanley was given the role of the Phantom in one of the Phantom of the Opera runs in Toronto? I don't remember how many years ago that was (maybe like 6-10?), but I saw some clips of him in the role on youtube and it was a bit embarrassing.

You guys are ridiculous. Here are Neil Diamond's contributions to rock and roll...

I'm a Believer

A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You

Kentucky Woman

Solitary Man

Cherry, Cherry

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

Thank the Lord for the Night Time

Sweet Caroline

Holly Holy

Red Red Wine

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Cracklin' Rosie

Song Sung Blue

I Am...I Said

America

These are songs that have stood the test of time and he's one of the quintessential standard bearer of the American rock and roll singer songwriter. Get off your musical snobbish high horses already.

You guys are ridiculous. Here are Neil Diamond's contributions to rock and roll...

blablabla, horrible non-rock music, blablabla

These are songs that have stood the test of time and he's one of the quintessential standard bearer of the American rock and roll singer songwriter. Get off your musical snobbish high horses already.

Seriously? When did you ever hear any of those songs on a rock station? Could you imagine those songs on any rock station today? Sirius' Octane plays some old rock and roll but never that, I cannot think of any other station out there 106.5's, 89x, etc that would put that crap on. It may be good music but it is not R&R. If he wrote R&R then he should be brought in as a writer not a performer.

Edited by jboyst62

I'm a Believer

A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You

Kentucky Woman

Solitary Man

Cherry, Cherry

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

Thank the Lord for the Night Time

Sweet Caroline

Holly Holy

Red Red Wine

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show

Cracklin' Rosie

Song Sung Blue

I Am...I Said

America

Yeah, but he wears leather chaps :ph34r:

It's the Alice Cooper Band that got in, not Alice Cooper solo. The band was one of the best rock and roll bands this country ever produced. His solo stuff tends to run the gamut from bad to awful...but Easy Action alone makes about 97% of all sound irrelevant.

Seriously? When did you ever hear any of those songs on a rock station? Could you imagine those songs on any rock station today? Sirius' Octane plays some old rock and roll but never that, I cannot think of any other station out there 106.5's, 89x, etc that would put that crap on. It may be good music but it is not R&R. If he wrote R&R then he should be brought in as a writer not a performer.

You need to study the history of Rock and Roll. Not including some of thos early pioneers is like not including the fork into the Culinary Hall of Fame. BTW what is a Rock station today anyway. My favorite exchange from The Last Waltz:

:[Martin Scorsese is asking Levon Helm about his home state, Arkansas, and his musical influences]

Levon Helm: Bluegrass and country music ... if it comes down into that area and if it mixes there with the rhythm and if it dances, then you've got a combination of all that music ...

Martin Scorsese: What's it called?

Levon Helm: Rock and roll

Hey Scorsese.....:wallbash:

Edited by Chef Jim

Just like Dylan was the forbearer for rock and roll's rebellion songsmiths, Diamond was the forbearer for rock and roll's popular hits songsmiths. The yin and yang.

You need to open your mind here. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's definition of Rock and Roll is about the entire fabric of the genre, not just a tunnel vision view.

I happen to think that The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is very un-rock n roll in and of itself. To me, rock n roll is music about rebellion, angst and the general feeling of not fitting in to the establishment's society groups. A Hall of Fame flies in the face of that notion. The induction event itself has just such an icky "statesmen" feel to it.

Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Im not the biggest AC fan out there and Kiss I can take or leave but to say they are a joke and minimize their contribution to rock and roll is nuts.

Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me.

Im not the biggest AC fan out there and Kiss I can take or leave but to say they are a joke and minimize their contribution to rock and roll is nuts.

They are a makeup/persona/stage act. I think music was very low on the list of what was important to the band, and certainly near the bottom of what was important to their fans. That's why I call them (and Cooper) a joke. It was mostly about image, and less about music. Like Madonna they should be enshrined into the Marketing Hall of Fame.

2011 inductees are

Alice Cooper Band

Neil Diamond

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Jac Holzman

Tom Waits

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

The board must have been smoking some good Columbian when they put this list together..

They also left off the J Geils Band. I'm ok with Diamond, James, et al, from an historical perspective - (Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong, and Elmore James are in for Early Influence) and there are some acts in there that only border on R&R. But R&R isn't always black and white. Certainly some of the jam bands (moe, Phish, Cornmeal, etc.) play some R&R - should any of them be excluded from the R&R HoF? Louis Armstrong is in - should Chick Corea or Stanley Clarke be excluded? Should there be a separate HoF for rap?

Besides J Geils, some others, IMO, that deserve inclusion are Deep Purple, Donovan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, B-52s, Rush, Todd Rundgren, Moody Blues and Joe Cocker. At least based upon the merits of some existing members.

This year they left off Bon Jovi, Kiss and the Beastie Boys. Personally don't care for any of them. But I'd take any of them before I'd take Neil Diamond. Wrote good pop hits but rock and roll? Give me a break. Although you got to admit at the stadium everybody sings along to Sweet Caroline. I thought Cooper, Waits and Dr. John deserved to get in. Leon Russell was questionable. The others? Not so much. Who the hell is Art Rupe? I agree that a lot of people that are in probably shouldn't be there. But if you've ever seen Etta James perform when she was in her prime, she could put a lot of these white boys to shame.

Edited by Mr Info

You need to study the history of Rock and Roll. Not including some of thos early pioneers is like not including the fork into the Culinary Hall of Fame. BTW what is a Rock station today anyway. My favorite exchange from The Last Waltz:

Hey Scorsese.....:wallbash:

The Neil Diamond song from The Last Waltz, arguably and thought of by a lot of critics to be the best concert film ever made, was actually pretty good. And definitely a rock song. His 60s stuff was a lot of protest type songs. I have no use for Neil Diamond the balladeer, but the early rock stuff was pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-MBECuBoc

The entire thing has been a joke since they decided to put the HOF in Cleveland, over Memphis. Without Memphis, the blues on Beale, Sun Studios, Stax, and of course the King; rock and roll as we all know it does not exist today. They decided then that the whole thing was about money, not about rock and roll.

But, what they missed was the half a million people/year that visit Graceland that could have easily added the HOF to their list of sites to see. Poor decision making back then, followed by poor decision making in regards to, not only, who should be inducted by how they're inducted. The whole thing is a mess and stands in complete opposition to what rock and roll is and was. Reading up on the induction process is all you have to do to see how bad it is.

The entire thing has been a joke since they decided to put the HOF in Cleveland, over Memphis. Without Memphis, the blues on Beale, Sun Studios, Stax, and of course the King; rock and roll as we all know it does not exist today. They decided then that the whole thing was about money, not about rock and roll.

But, what they missed was the half a million people/year that visit Graceland that could have easily added the HOF to their list of sites to see. Poor decision making back then, followed by poor decision making in regards to, not only, who should be inducted by how they're inducted. The whole thing is a mess and stands in complete opposition to what rock and roll is and was. Reading up on the induction process is all you have to do to see how bad it is.

Oh no I think it's right in line with Rock and Roll. Rock and Roll has always been a chaotic mess. That's what I love about it.

They need to remove "Rock and Roll" from their name, but it makes it seem more hip and less like a museum.

This is NOT for strictly one small genre of guitar based music.

They'd be better off changing the name to "Popular Music Hall of Fame", but going with "Pop" in your title cheapens it and removes the cred that "Rock and Roll" brings.

Stupid, I know.

Also, glad to see Tom Waits's name on there. Always happy to see him get recognition.

The other issue I have is the induction ceremony itself is held in NYC. Have no idea why, just seems bizarre. Every other Hall Of Fame I know of has their induction ceremony at their Hall, not several hundred miles away.

The other issue I have is the induction ceremony itself is held in NYC. Have no idea why, just seems bizarre. Every other Hall Of Fame I know of has their induction ceremony at their Hall, not several hundred miles away.

Who would want to go to Cleveland?

Or the 2nd version: here

Anyway, there have been some really interesting posts in here. I consider myself a fan of music, of course I have my preferences, but I always look forward to a chance to look at the art in a different way.