For the sake of discussion... Is Chan really doing something

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I think he's getting a good deal out of a low talent roster with issues all over the field. But then again, so did DJ in that 2006 season when Buffalo went 7-9 in the first year of that rebuild.

Looking at their wins, it's home to DET, at CIN, home CLE, and now at MIA. CIN, CLE, and even MIA may be making changes at HC. DET is horrendous on the road. It sure looks like they're just getting to play teams with similar talent like Fewell did last season.

Chan needs help from the people upstairs to get this team back to respectability. If that doesn't happen this off-season, provided there's no labor issues, then I don't know what more he can do with middling talent scraped from the late rounds, UDFAs, and street free agents. You win games by having superior talent and with a dose of smart solid coaching.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last years defense was horrible. This D is showing more improvement than last. Granted it is in very small steps but we are finally seeing a pass rush with well timed blitzes. Didn't see much of that last year.

Actually, it wasn't, they were keeping the team competitive in most games, but the offence was sooooooooo bad that they couldn't get out of their own way to score points.. Sure, statistically they were not great, but they were good enough to not cost the Bills games and the were the reason the Bills were in most games until the 4th quarter

Discuss.

Chan sure doesn't sugar-coat things when the team is under-performing. Listen to his comments about how the Bills running game was working against the 'Fins last Sunday. No excuses given and he recognizes the team's issues. Hope we can reload in the off-season and give Chan more talent to work with.

What you have in Chan is someone who truly could be called an offensive genius.

Given his career, "genius" might be a bit strong my robotic friend.

He certainly (eventually) now understands the talent levels of the players on his offense and has learned during the course of the season to come up with game plans suited perfectly for them thus giving the team its best chance to perform well.

He also is clearly a coach that can get players to play their hearts out and overachieve for him.

I'd say just what the doctor ordered for a team in shambles like the Bills were after the last decade.

He certainly (eventually) now understands the talent levels of the players on his offense and has learned during the course of the season to come up with game plans suited perfectly for them thus giving the team its best chance to perform well.

He also is clearly a coach that can get players to play their hearts out and overachieve for him.

I'd say just what the doctor ordered for a team in shambles like the Bills were after the last decade.

This sums it up nicely. Chan is the right man at the right time. We're 4 & 10 and I'm strangely confident in Chan. Go Bills!

I was a fan of Fewell for head coach at the time, and think he will be a head coach in the NFL shortly. I also was NOT by any means a fan of Chan at the time of his hire, through the draft and through the first part of the season. Since the break, however, I have been more and more impressed with his leadership, his personnel moves seem to be paying off, and he has really begun to win me over. Asking me today? I think Chan is the better choice of the two based on what I'm seeing as the team progresses every week. I want to see what happens with the draft and personnel moves in the off season but on the whole I'd grade Chan as a more than passing grade for the first year.

Actually, it wasn't, they were keeping the team competitive in most games, but the offence was sooooooooo bad that they couldn't get out of their own way to score points.. Sure, statistically they were not great, but they were good enough to not cost the Bills games and the were the reason the Bills were in most games until the 4th quarter

You're right about the defense last year--produced a lot of turnovers. Sucks this year against the run.

However, as stated above, the offense looks prettier than last year, but still is struggling mightily to score points. 16 a game last year, 19 this year. Only 4 games over 20 points vs. 5 last year.

You're right about the defense last year--produced a lot of turnovers. Sucks this year against the run.

However, as stated above, the offense looks prettier than last year, but still is struggling mightily to score points. 16 a game last year, 19 this year. Only 4 games over 20 points vs. 5 last year.

Median # of points through week 16 this year: 15

Median # of points through week 16 last year: 15

Last year, when the Bills scored 30+ points, rush yards made up 50.55% of the Bills offense. This year, the make up 33% of the yards.

Passing = more exciting and fun, for sure. The offense is less balanced though in the games they score at on.

However, a good passing game can get you more yards. The Bills topped 500 total yards off offense against the Ravens, something they didn't do last year.

I think he's getting a good deal out of a low talent roster with issues all over the field. But then again, so did DJ in that 2006 season when Buffalo went 7-9 in the first year of that rebuild.

Looking at their wins, it's home to DET, at CIN, home CLE, and now at MIA. CIN, CLE, and even MIA may be making changes at HC. DET is horrendous on the road. It sure looks like they're just getting to play teams with similar talent like Fewell did last season.

Chan needs help from the people upstairs to get this team back to respectability. If that doesn't happen this off-season, provided there's no labor issues, then I don't know what more he can do with middling talent scraped from the late rounds, UDFAs, and street free agents. You win games by having superior talent and with a dose of smart solid coaching.

While on the surface, I could completely agree with you. But, as bad as DET is on the road; they just beat a good Tampa Bay team... on the road. CLE as bad as they are, were still able to beat the Pats* and the Saints this year. MIA was still a division team, with a winning record. CIN.. well yeah... they suck.

My point being that yes, they beat a few pretty bad teams. But, had they not shown up to play and been properly prepared, they could have and most likely would have lost to each of those teams. So, yes, it's not as impressive as beating the Steelers, Ravens, and Pats*; but they're wins none the less. Wins, also, that at the midway point of the season looked nearly impossible to get.

For me, at least, it's going to take until the end of Sept. 2011 to know if Chan is really doing something. Because, you're right, he could be just lucking out a few wins against below average teams. In that case, these wins will mean nothing more than continued mediocrity. However, he could be slowly teaching these young guys how to win, how to play for a full 60 minutes, how to believe in themselves. If that is indeed the case, we could see a couple of wins next September and even further improvement away from mediocrity.

Unfortunately, I just don't know how we'll be able to determine the difference until we see how this team plays next year. That's when we'll be able to determine if these "useless" wins over bad teams meant something or if they were just that.... useless wins over bad teams. If, however, I were to be so bold as to feel optimistic about this team, it would stem from the fact that unlike in the past; this team has shown steady improvement throughout the season. In the first quarter; they looked lost and just...bad. In the 2nd quarter; they took 2 division leading teams to overtime and lost 3 games by a FG. In the 3rd quarter of the season; they actually turned a couple of those close games into wins. Now, in the final act of the season; they've continued getting close wins by actually beating a division rival. At one point we were debating whether or not this team could beat a UFL team; 6 weeks later - few, if any, would consider the Bills the worst team in the league.

It remains to be seen how they'll fair against the Pats* and Jets. But, the Pats* may be the most important game of the season. How much have they progressed? Are they able to contend with the best team in the league? Are they able to put 7 years of losing behind them? These are just a few of the questions we can perhaps answer this coming weekend.

I like the fact that he's letting young players get to play some, of course some that has been forced on him through injury-but still I like it- I was getting a little worried when he kept C Green in for so long, if an older guy can't play he's no going to get suddenly better, at that point you should see what some of the youngsters got-that was one of my many complaints about Jauron.

This is what will cause a coach to lose his team. As a coach you need to play whoever has earned the position. You cannot play someone because you're curious about their ability, the player who has earned the position should always start and get the majority of snaps.

There are several reasons for this besides just being fair. A lot of the players have incentives built into their contracts and holding them out thus preventing them from earning those incentives WILL cause locker room issues. You also don't want to take away incentive for players to work hard.

You act like beating the lower rung teams is like Texas beating up a cupcake like North Texas State. They are all NFL teams. Remember the expression "...on any given Sunday?"

PTR

We are actually throwing at the red zone when we get inside the 20....

I hate to pick one thing out of all of it......but that is a huge plus to me. I remember last year it seemed like we were AFRAID to try to throw a touchdown.......

Chan has changed all that......I dont get the feeling that we are playing to keep it close and allow our defense to play field position....I get the feeling that we are trying to score as many points as possible.

Im telling you....if we could just generate a pass rush without blitzing every down with our down linemen......we win these close games. Oh and we need a lb athletic enough to be able to cover a TE.

:thumbsup:

John said a lot right there and that is absolutely what it seemed like...and I highly doubt it was our imagination, there seemed generally perplexed on how exactly to do that last year.

You act like beating the lower rung teams is like Texas beating up a cupcake like North Texas State. They are all NFL teams. Remember the expression "...on any given Sunday?"

PTR

Every year the Bills have beaten teams that were bad to mediocre. Winning 7, 7, 7, and 6 games the past 4 seasons got some fans excited that they'd finally turned the corner. It turned out they ran into another wall. Now they've started the process again and people want to feel good.

They need a signature win, say against a division rival like NE, to demonstrate something. Not all opponents are created equal.

Just as far as being excited for the future, if I can put it that simply, I am way more optimistic right now than I was 1 year ago.

GO BILLS!!!!

I am more excited now, than I was 12 weeks ago! :thumbsup:

I am more than willing to eat crow, and admitt that Chan Gailey was a great hire for this team...I liked Fewell too, and, at the time, would have preferred keeping him, to hirign Gailey, but, as others have said, the offense is light years ahead of where it was prior to this year. The stats might not bare a huge improvement, but my eyes remind me that stats rarely tell the whole story. I am a litte concerned, still, about the defense...but even there, I have seen some slight improvement in the second half of the season. There is still a lot of work to be done, and a lot of talent to add to this roster, but Chan seems up to the job...

Every year the Bills have beaten teams that were bad to mediocre. Winning 7, 7, 7, and 6 games the past 4 seasons got some fans excited that they'd finally turned the corner. It turned out they ran into another wall. Now they've started the process again and people want to feel good.

They need a signature win, say against a division rival like NE, to demonstrate something. Not all opponents are created equal.

I love how we are the "worst team in the NFL" because we ONLY beat bad teams! :lol: By your logic the Patriots* have yet to have a signature win because they only beat teams with worse records than them.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

:thumbsup:

John said a lot right there and that is absolutely what it seemed like...and I highly doubt it was our imagination, there seemed generally perplexed on how exactly to do that last year.

:thumbsup: Dollars to donuts!

Edited by Buftex

Discuss.

I have enjoyed watching some of their losses this year more then I did most of last years wins. Why, because they are going after their opponents on O and D and trying to beat them, not just out last them, or make fewer mistakes. Between the don't bland but don't break D and the defensive offense (run, run, check down, punt)

no matter what brand of football you prefer, Chan is doing eveythign different.

I think they have some similar qualities. Both have been able to get alot out of the talent that was here and both had their teams playing hard

That said I think its hard to argue Fewell would have the offense looking like this. The defense looks much improved too, faster, bigger and better pass rush. The turnovers are starting to come too.

I liked Fewell alot and hes going to be a good HC someday but Gailey was the right choice for this year

I love how we are the "worst team in the NFL" because we ONLY beat bad teams! :lol:By your logic the Patriots* have yet to have a signature win because they only beat teams with worse records than them.PTR

I don't understand your logic, or how you came to this conclusion based on his post.

The pats are 12-2 and have beaten at least 4 (as many as 7) playoff teams so far. None of the teams the Bills beat have winning records and 3 are the among worst in the League.

+ alot CodeMonkey

as to the last sentence. Not a bad remedy for us fans either i bet!