For the sake of discussion... Is Chan really doing something

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the offensive game planning and schemes are light years ahead of where they were a year ago. That's almost all of Chan's doing.

That being said, I'm still not convinced that the defensive side of the ball is in better shape than it was last year at this time.

2009 The Bills were setting franchise records for least offensive yards, least passing yards, least passing TDs, least receiving TDs,least first downs.

2010 The Bills are setting franchise records for most passing TDs in a row, most receiving TDs in a season, and coming close to TD passing records for a whole season in only 14 games.

Since the Pittsburgh game, the 2010 team has learned how to get to the opposing QB.

The team has also learned how to protect the QB better, combined with Fitzy being an aware QB and not turning into a statue under pressure.

The games are actually fun to watch.

So the answer is yes it is very different.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Our team has an offense on the rise with alot of young players. We have had a few surprises on defense this year like Moats and Kelsay's ability to get to the QB from the DE position. We also have had a gang of injuries again. I like the direction of the team, mor so than last year.

Fewell was a much better motivator that Dick(less) Jauron, and his players responded. But I never got the sense Fewell was much of a tactician. What you have in Chan is someone who truly could be called an offensive genius. He is a coach that has repeatedly taken middling talent and taught them to win. So on the Bills, how much is talent and how much is Chan? To me it doesn't matter as long as there are good results.

PTR

I like the fact that he's letting young players get to play some, of course some that has been forced on him through injury-but still I like it- I was getting a little worried when he kept C Green in for so long, if an older guy can't play he's no going to get suddenly better, at that point you should see what some of the youngsters got-that was one of my many complaints about Jauron.

Discuss.

There should be no doubt ... Chan is a top quality head coach ... he's turned the offense around and the defense is starting to get there too.

For the commentator who mentioned Coach Perry ... I hate to say who was in charge of the NY BLUE IT's this past Sunday as the Eagles thrived against his second half defense. ...

We are moving in the right direction and Chan in THE MAN!

I like Fewell and hope that he does make it as a HC at some point in time. I think the biggest difference right now is that we have a GM, Coach and players that are all getting on the same page. Also critical is that we have a QB that offers some hope - though I am not entirely sold that he is the absolute answer for the long term Fitz has grown on me and continues to do so. At the end of the day winning teams have solid QBing or at least above average QB'ing in combination with a solid D.

I like the fact that Chan knows where he is going with this clkub and has stuck to the plan. Last year the D was under-sized. We continue to pay a price for that. The front seven on D has to get bigger.

Bottom line for me is that Fewell was at best holding ground. I believe Chan took some steps back in order to move forward ovr the long term.

guess i'll say it one more time. If you are just counting wins thinking somehow that will translate into more wins the following year, your an idiot. Everything is better this year, we compete we play like a pro football team. Last year they play ultra conservative, boring run the clock so we don't get killed football. Played a weaker schedule and ended up with a few more wins and going nowhere

guess i'll say it one more time. If you are just counting wins thinking somehow that will translate into more wins the following year, your an idiot. Everything is better this year, we compete we play like a pro football team. Last year they play ultra conservative, boring run the clock so we don't get killed football. Played a weaker schedule and ended up with a few more wins and going nowhere

The offense certainly looks better than last year, but still struggles to put up the points (only 3 more per game than last year). 17,13,14,16,14,19,13---those are our point totals in 7 of our last 8 games. We only have 4 games with 20 or more points--one less than last year last year.

The games are more fun to watch.

We are actually throwing at the red zone when we get inside the 20....

I hate to pick one thing out of all of it......but that is a huge plus to me. I remember last year it seemed like we were AFRAID to try to throw a touchdown.......

Chan has changed all that......I dont get the feeling that we are playing to keep it close and allow our defense to play field position....I get the feeling that we are trying to score as many points as possible.

Im telling you....if we could just generate a pass rush without blitzing every down with our down linemen......we win these close games. Oh and we need a lb athletic enough to be able to cover a TE.

The beginning of the season, first two especially. made me feel kinda sick again. But that said we keep getting a little better at different things each week. I see almost constant improvement in a least a couple areas each game. Individual players performance, attitude hustle, scheming and formation calls etc.

Yes there is forward progress that might well serve the long term for us fans.

I like the Chan alot, hell i meet even end up liking our Mr. Edwards!

go Bills!

Edited by 3rdand12

I think the offensive game planning and schemes are light years ahead of where they were a year ago. That's almost all of Chan's doing.

That being said, I'm still not convinced that the defensive side of the ball is in better shape than it was last year at this time.

Last years defense was horrible. This D is showing more improvement than last. Granted it is in very small steps but we are finally seeing a pass rush with well timed blitzes. Didn't see much of that last year.

Fair question.

1) Fewell's defense was in place. Gailey switched to the 3-4 without the personnel. Bills D got a lot of picks last year. Offenses game planned differently... playing conservative because they knew the Bills offense was no threat.

2) Fewell wasn't looking past next week. Gailey is. He knows he'll be back next year and knows what personnel changes he wants to make.

3) Fewell didn't have high expectations from the fans or his bosses. Gailey does have a lot expected from him. His mulligan season is almost over.

4) NFL teams didn't have a good feel for Fitzy during the second half of the season. Teams have that feel now. The Bills O ain't gonna surprise any team... whatever they get, they've earned the hard way.