How I would treat Tom Brady

Coach Tuesday

The Pats are going to beat us next weekend, it's a given. They always beat us. And usually, we make it easy for them. Under Jauron, Brady's trips to the Ralph were a walk in the park - it looked unbelievably easy for him. And this year, we just don't have the players (yet, hopefully) to pull out a victory.

So here's what I would do:

Rather than sit back and let him dink and dunk his way up and down the field, I would blitz the hell out of him. I'd hit him on every pass play, if possible. I'd even tell my guys not to worry about a few roughing the passer flags, because everyone knows they'll come.

And I don't care about the fact that by blitzing, you give up the big play.

So what, I'm thinking LONG TERM.

And long term, I don't want Brady to enjoy his trips to Buffalo anymore. I want him to start hating having to come play here. So that it sticks in his mind. And so next year, hopefully, and years to come, he remembers how much he hates playing in Buffalo.

The time to start getting in his head is NOW. I hope Chan sees it the same way. Make it as uncomfortable as possible for the guy.

Oh, and less anyone out there feels bad for him, here is a great piece from Tim Graham showing evidence that Brady runs up the score on teams:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/23366/does-tom-brady-run-up-the-score

Go Bills.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats are going to beat us next weekend, it's a given. They always beat us. And usually, we make it easy for them. Under Jauron, Brady's trips to the Ralph were a walk in the park - it looked unbelievably easy for him. And this year, we just don't have the players (yet, hopefully) to pull out a victory.

Rather than sit back and let him dink and dunk his way up and down the field, I would blitz the hell out of him. I'd hit him on every pass play, if possible. I'd even tell my guys not to worry about a few roughing the passer flags, because everyone knows they'll come.

And long term, I don't want Brady to enjoy his trips to Buffalo anymore. I want him to start hating having to come play here. So that it sticks in his mind. And so next year, hopefully, and years to come, he remembers how much he hates playing in Buffalo.

The time to start getting in his head is NOW. I hope Chan sees it the same way. Make it as uncomfortable as possible for the guy.

Oh, and less anyone out there feels bad for him, here is a great piece from Tim Graham showing evidence that Brady runs up the score on teams:

Go Bills.

I think the Pats have recently became a much overrated team. The last couple of weeks they happened to face a couple of teams that just layed down like dogs.

Their defense isn't any good and the Bills have an offense that can keep up with the Pats now.

I think the Patriots beat up on the Packers then get shocked by the Bills next week who'll finally punch them in the face and knock them off their high horse in front of an absolute crazy Ralph. It's gonna happen people. I can feel it.

What's with the fascination and disdain for teams that "run up the score"?

Isn't it the point for offenses to score points?

Aren't many players/coaches contracts loaded with scoring/performance incentives?

Why shouldn't a team score as often as they can?

In this time of great parity among NFL teams, if a team sucks bad enough on any given Sunday that the other team beats them by 40 or 50 points then so be it. If a team does not like it, then do something so that you don't suck so badly. Don't cry about the other team "running up the score".

Edited by CodeMonkey

Aren't many players/coaches contracts loaded with scoring/performance incentives?

In this time of great parity among NFL teams, if a team sucks bad enough on any given Sunday that the other team beats them by 40 or 50 points then so be it. If a team does not like it, then do something so that you don't suck so badly. Don't cry about the other team "running up the score".

dunno. it's just an unwritten thing, like a code. like in baseball. you don't steal bases when you're up by 12 runs.

Go Bills.

I'm with you, CT. I've been preaching this approach for a while. I remember making a similar post way back when, and suggesting the Bills use Hargrove to deliver the (possibly late) blows. Maybe Carrington can do the dirty work this year.

Let me be clear, I am not suggesting the Bills try to injure Marcia...just that they hit him HARD, OFTEN and maybe just a bit after the whistle once in a while. Do it early. Eat the penalties in the first part of the game. The key here is to make Brady uncomfortable. Don't let him feel safe, at any point in time, even after the whistle.

Defending the Pats* with a soft zone and minimal pass rush simply doesn't make sense to me. Brady gets into that rhythm and he is very tough to stop.

I've been saying it for years....Brady is a true pocket passer that relies on timing routes and quick slants over the middle. The way you beat that is to get pressure on him right up the middle. Get someone in his face on every down and knock him around as much as possible. Man the corners up and jam the WRs at the line to throw off the timing. The one thing to consider is the hot read becomes the quick slant over the middle; so you know that going in. Put your best coverage LB in the middle and light Welker up. But, there's absolutely no reason to just rush 3 or 4 guys and let Brady have all day to pick you apart. He's proven time and time again, that he'll beat that.

So, I agree with the OP; knock him on his :censored: every chance you get. Yes, you may give up some long gain; you will get some penalties. But, you have to rattle him and he's shown that he can be rattled with steady and constant pressure in his face. He's perhaps one of the most pansy Qbs to ever play the game... get his jersey dirty and he'll get frustrated and rush his throws.

Go Bills.

I agree completely with this, we're not going to beat NE, so just go out there and try to make Brady's life as miserable as possible so we can get in his head for next year.

+1. It's professional sports.

In the Super Bowl the Giants showed the key to beating NE.

Put Brady on his ass over and over again.

Yes, but the Giants were able to do that WITHOUT having to blitz because they could get pressure with their fantastic front four.

Someone started a thread about drafting to beat the Patriots, and I agree with that philosophy. That is what Polian did back in the 80s when the Dolphins owned the Bills. His ambition was to build a team capable of stopping Marino and the Dolphins: an offense with enough firepower to keep up coupled with a pass defense predicated on applying a strong pass rush. I would have to say that Polian did a masterful job here. (Alas, those teams were NOT built to stop the power running teams from the NFC East -- but I digress.)

The Bills' drafts for the past decade have been visionless: no direct correlation based on acquiring players necessary to win the division. If I were calling the shots, I would place a HEAVY emphasis on pass rushers in this year's draft, regardless of what "scheme" they fit.

I'm not one to wish injury on any player, but it would be a real shame if Brady had his knee blown out again while continuing to throw deep in the 4th quarter with the Pats up by three touchdowns. I'm guessing that not too many tears would be shed around the league for 'ole Tom should that happen.