Did anyone just see that BOMB from Cam Newton?

The Big Cat

Watching Newton play reminds me of a player controlled QB vs the CPU in EA Sports NCAA football series

A year and a half watching Fitz and learning from Chan (assuming he's willing and able to do so), he could be a serious NFL QB under Chan.

Again I cite the Chan Gailey feature that highlighted his preference for mobile quarterbacks.

You guys need to put down the crack pipe if you think Newton is ready to be an NFL QB. That BOMB was tipped before it was completed, otherwise...it was just like any other Hail Mary pass ever thrown. Chuck it 50 yards and pray. Wow, I sure am impressed he can make that throw. :wallbash::rolleyes:

You guys need to put down the crack pipe if you think Newton is ready to be an NFL QB. That BOMB was tipped before it was completed, otherwise...it was just like any other Hail Mary pass ever thrown. Chuck it 50 yards and pray. Wow, I sure am impressed he can make that throw. :wallbash::rolleyes:

It traveled 60 yards and didn't have a ton of air under it. The outcome a thing of luck, yes. But to see that kind of arm strength AND to see some of the accurate timing passes he's made in this game (see: his last TD), I'm pretty impressed. Oh yeah, have you seen him run?

If he's not ready then nobody is. If his throwing doesn't impress you then you don't watch.

Edited by scoring is not hardy

The "Cammy Cam Juice" is brilliant. He can market that next year to a beverage company and make millions. This dude has the swagger of Mike Vick in his younger career...which is not good.

I was like "CHING-CHING" as soon as I seen that, After he gets drafted Gatorade will come a knocking... Im glad im not the only one seen the amount of money thats going to change hands over joking around...

Sorry. After that game I am all in. This guy is really good.

Separately however?, I must add, this puts him over the hump. He is now officially ahead of Luck and Fitzgibbons in my book.

We have to have Cam Newton!

If the Bills F.O. doesn't immediately issue an edict to lose every remaining game and ensure that we will be in a position to use our 1st-round pick on soon-to-be Superbowl MVP and HOF QB Cam Newton, I'm turning in my fan card.

After that pass, who can deny that Cam Newton is better than Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, and Jim Kelly - all combined!!!!

Gimme a break with people coming down on him for taking money. the NCAA is the biggest crock of an organization going. If a player can get paid on the side while his academic school is making millions of his games and jersey sales, more power to them. This would haze ZERO influence on how I view that player.

Newton is as dominant of a college player as I have ever seen. All in the best conference in football. I don't know how he will translate to the pros, but I'd really worry about passing on a guy this talented.

I grew sick watching the commentators pretty much suck off Newton, that was ridiculous. The guy is an amazing athlete, but that is not what makes the Heisman winner.

No, but easily being the best, most dominant, most valuable player in the country, with his feet and his arm and his head head, on an 11-0 team in a tough as nails division with both outrageous STATS, outrageous production and outrageous intangibles does.

you people who want him to be in buffalo are crazy. every year they hype up players just like him and people drink the kool aid and everyone wants that guy. jamarcuss russel had a cannon. look how that worked.

ask him to read a pro style offense and watch his brain spill out his head, he is also not gonna get away from pro players the way he does against NCAA players. he dosent seem like the kinda guy id wanna root for anyways. ill take locker over him any day.

but the main point of this post is you guys want the wrong auburn player..FAIRLEY is the dude. not cam

you people who want him to be in buffalo are crazy. every year they hype up players just like him and people drink the kool aid and everyone wants that guy. jamarcuss russel had a cannon. look how that worked.

ask him to read a pro style offense and watch his brain spill out his head, he is also not gonna get away from pro players the way he does against NCAA players. he dosent seem like the kinda guy id wanna root for anyways. ill take locker over him any day.

but the main point of this post is you guys want the wrong auburn player..FAIRLEY is the dude. not cam

DAM!! Is it personal?????

yes, d line in the first and cam newton if he is around in the 3rd...i dont think he last til the 3rd but he will be there mid to late 2nd

“If at any time before or after matriculation in a member institution a student-athlete or any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference (except such aid or assistance as such student-athlete may receive from those persons on whom the student is naturally or legally dependent for support), such student-athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career.”

SEC rulebook..

It's hard for the good ol boys network to follow their own rules.

Auburn is a fraud, and will ALWAYS have an * next to anything they do this year IMO.

Edited by RaidersEast

A larger-than-you-think percentage of Bills fans (whether they admit it or not) would never want a black QB on their team.

Period.

The classier way would be to speak for yourself and not misrepresent others and how they may feel.

I take it your in that group you speak of so knowingly.

The classier way would be to speak for yourself and not misrepresent others and how they may feel.

I take it your in that group you speak of so knowingly.

I would love to see it. But as a Bills fan in my early twenties, I have to ask. Have we ever had one? I know we haven't in my lifetime. In fact, I think Hamdan is the only QB over the last 15 years who wasn't "white" that I can think of.

Me personally? I don't want Newton because he runs a spread option offense, which is fantastic in college but is not a part of the pro game unless you count the Wildcat. You know who else could run the spread really well and racked up a ton of rushing yards? Pat White and Tim Tebow. It may be too early to make a call on Tebow, but where is Pat White these days? Oh yeah....Miami cut him and he decided to embark on his professional baseball career instead.

Put him in Alabama's offense, Stanford's offense, anything that requires diagnosing a defense more than "should I take this or give it to the RB" If he put up similar stats in a pro offense? Then yeah, absolutely this guy should be a #1 pick. But the fact remains that he is putting up ungodly stats in an offense that requires skills that do not directly translate to the NFL because unlike the NCAA, everyone in the NFL is an elite athlete.

A larger-than-you-think percentage of Bills fans (whether they admit it or not) would never want a black QB on their team.

Period.

I love it when unfounded charges of racism is brought into the discussion. It just adds so much substance to the discussion.

Edited by Magox

I love it when unfounded charges of racism is brought into the discussion. It just adds so much substance to the discussion.

Yes, and stating that Vick or Newton can't "read a defense" (as if one sat with them while breaking down film) adds even more to the discussion. Yet it's brought up on this sacred board each and every day.

Frankly, I think every single QB coming into the NFL has to be taught from scratch how to read an NFL defense and extremely few of them are prepared for the NFL in even the most basic way. Andrew Luck is an exception since he is playing in a pro offense and coached for a couple years by an actual former NFL quarterback. But most guys have to be completely re-taught how to play the position because the complexity and the speed and the abilities of the defenders and pass rushers is nothing they have ever seen before.

It's best when a team doesn't have to change the QBs mechanics much, although they all are changed somewhat, too. Newton has pretty decent mechanics. You don't have to change his throwing motion at all. He throws really well on the run already. He's light years ahead of Tebow and Vince Young as far as passing ability because he already possesses the NFL arm and motion.

I think Newton needs to sit a full year, or even two, before he plays because he hasn't played a lot of games. Although he could step right in now and run packages or goalline or wildcat like Tebow does. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, and I think the Bills need to draft DL and LB and RT before they look for a QB, but I think he will easily go in the first round, could very likely be the second QB taken. I personally would take him over Mallett and Locker but the fact is, no one in the world knows if any of these guys will be a good or great pro. Newton is very good and not at all gimmicky like some people like to portray him.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I personally would take him over Mallett and Locker but the fact is, no one in the world knows if any of these guys will be a good or great pro. Newton is very good and not at all gimmicky like some people like to portray him.

In a heartbeat. If he or Luck are available when the Bills draft I would have no problem with them taking either. Newton is a monster!

My only real concern is how he will handle professional success. But I think he has what it takes to play the game at a very high level, in the pros. I also agree he should sit a year or two. But I think just about every rookie QB should sit a year or two.

A trade down scenario would be ideal.......taking a defensive player (Bowers maybe?) picking up a later round 2nd....picking up Cam Newton while still taking the best available RT in the 2nd.....

Then go linebackers with the 3rd round picks......now THAT would be a pretty good draft.

Fitz is my guys for the forseeable future......but Newton could be waiting in the wings....

I would love to see it. But as a Bills fan in my early twenties, I have to ask. Have we ever had one? I know we haven't in my lifetime. In fact, I think Hamdan is the only QB over the last 15 years who wasn't "white" that I can think of.

Me personally? I don't want Newton because he runs a spread option offense, which is fantastic in college but is not a part of the pro game unless you count the Wildcat. You know who else could run the spread really well and racked up a ton of rushing yards? Pat White and Tim Tebow. It may be too early to make a call on Tebow, but where is Pat White these days? Oh yeah....Miami cut him and he decided to embark on his professional baseball career instead.

Put him in Alabama's offense, Stanford's offense, anything that requires diagnosing a defense more than "should I take this or give it to the RB" If he put up similar stats in a pro offense? Then yeah, absolutely this guy should be a #1 pick. But the fact remains that he is putting up ungodly stats in an offense that requires skills that do not directly translate to the NFL because unlike the NCAA, everyone in the NFL is an elite athlete.

I feel we have our qb of the future already here. Like you I’ve heard a lot of hype regarding Cam Newton. I saw some of the game and all the highlights. I see what they mean. He throws better than all the prospects out there and runs even more effectively than Luck and as well as that NFL misfit in Tennessee. Only time will tell if he and the other college prospects can find that elusive thing that turns good college QBs into good pros. The biggest quandary as I see it is solving the war game scenarios on the playing field

I suppose it might be like looking at a chess board and seeing instantly what the right move is. Myself I’m always going past the time limit and can’t even imagine how getting whacked by a 270lb angry de might help me think better. Certainly Trent with his Stanford education didn’t have that diagnostic ability, nor Lossman and Bledsoe despite occasional success with his Paul Bunyan size and arm. But this year I believe the qb talent of Luck Newton and Mallett is similar to the year of Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger

Teams will be maneuvering and lining up to get them in the top 5 or 6. But we’re good because we got a guy that can move the ball from point A to point B with all kinds of obstructions and pots holes in the way. He doesn’t need a Lamborghini to be fast but what if we get him one.

Edited by whodat

mallet/luck and locker even ponder are gonna run circles around him once the combine and interviews start. wanting to take this guy in the first 4 rounds is insane. unless he is gonna play TE then yah lets take him. our oline cant hold people off for 12 seconds that this kid needs to read a basic cover 2 Defense.

lets just take fairley or quinn in the first and hinezrich in the second and keep adding front7. there will be another cam newton next year that you guys will fall in love with and forget cam ever lived.

mallet/luck and locker even ponder are gonna run circles around him once the combine and interviews start. wanting to take this guy in the first 4 rounds is insane. unless he is gonna play TE then yah lets take him. our oline cant hold people off for 12 seconds that this kid needs to read a basic cover 2 Defense.

lets just take fairley or quinn in the first and hinezrich in the second and keep adding front7. there will be another cam newton next year that you guys will fall in love with and forget cam ever lived.

Quick, name all the 6'6" 250 pound quarterbacks who rush for 1600 yards and pass for 2400 yards, rush for 20 TDs and pass for 20 TDs, with 185 passer rating, who run like the wind and have a cannon for an arm, are amazing scramblers and power runners, and, oh, never lose a game.

There is going to be another Cam Newton next year? The guy is a freak of nature.

Granted, there is no assurance whatsoever it will translate to the NFL. But there is equally no assurance it won't. He's not like other players. He is one game away from one of the best seasons any player at any position has ever had in college football. ANYONE who has watched the last five games or so he has played that doesn't think he is a highly skilled player is insane, IMO. I was very, very skeptical about him until i watched him over and over. He's a great college player. And he has enormous potential for the NFL. He'll go in the top ten in the first round unless something crazy comes out about him that scares teams away (nothing we know so far).