Bills claim Dallas TE Scott Chandler

FluffHead

Nix would have to offer Rucker a contract, knowing that Rucker's agent would take the bait, that Rucker preferred to stay in Dallas and would have his agent contact the Cowboys, that the Cowboys would also offer Rucker a contract to their 53-man roster, and that the Cowboys would cut precisely the "guy he really wanted all along", and that that player wouldn't be claimed by someone else before the Bills. That's a lot of if's, and's and mind reading of a large number of people. :)

Nix doesn't have to "know" all these dominoes will fall his way. All he has to do is knock the first one down and see how they fall. Assuming he would have been pleased if the he gets Rucker, all the rest is just gravy -- and an entertaining episode of Jesse Ventura's new "Conspiracy Theory". :ph34r:

If nothing else, it's nice to see people give Nix a little cred for understanding the biz.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a pretty cool scenario, and if that is how it went down Nix pretty clever.

Yeah that Nix is a genius when it comes to picking up fringe players off practice squads!

How did that Merriman "steal" work out?

I've always heard that the way to the Super Bowl is to be able to spot journeyman players that other teams don't want. Sweet!

Any chance the kid can catch too? Hope so.

This, from the Buffalo Bills.com link in my OP:

Considered a smooth route runner and a big target over middle and down the seam, Chandler has good hands and can seal and wall off with his size as a blocker.

But also this from same link:

Chandler appeared in nine games for the Cowboys this season, serving mainly in a blocking capacity

And this from the Buffalo Rumblings link in OP:

In his fourth year out of Iowa, the 6'7", 272-pound Chandler has never recorded a reception in the NFL, but is viewed as a solid blocker.

kj

I don't care if Nix outsmarts anybody as long as it's not himself.

On the surface this seems like a solid pick-up at a position we are in dire need of filling with a good blocker. It's December in Buffalo. Running season. I'm anxious to see what this kid has to offer.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah that Nix is a genius when it comes to picking up fringe players off practice squads!

I've always heard that the way to the Super Bowl is to be able to spot journeyman players that other teams don't want. Sweet!

Exactly. He signs bums with names like Wrotto and Urbik. God forbid if we ever trusted those two on the right side, our already pathetic offense would resemble a Pop Warner offense (and thats being generous). Don't even get me started on no names like Donald Jones and David Nelson ....

I don't believe Merriman was picked up for this year. After the season his health will be evaluated and he will be offered an incentivized contract imho. His cost was minimal then and would be minimal again.

Yeah. Hey Buddy, please stick to signing Pro Bowl caliber players off the waiver wire to improve the roster in December.

Nix doesn't have to "know" all these dominoes will fall his way. All he has to do is knock the first one down and see how they fall. Assuming he would have been pleased if the he gets Rucker, all the rest is just gravy -- and an entertaining episode of Jesse Ventura's new "Conspiracy Theory". :ph34r:

If nothing else, it's nice to see people give Nix a little cred for understanding the biz.

I'm just happy he was awake long enough to realize they needed a TE. B-)

Bills claim waived Cowboys TE

So the Bills:

1. Tried to sign TE Rucker off the Cowboys practice squad

2. Cowboys respond with an offer to put Rucker on active roster, which he accepts

3. To make room, the Cowboys waive TE Chandler, with the intent of placing him on practice squad, essentially intending to swap roster spots between Rucker and Chandler

4. Chandler was a draft pick (4th) by the Chargers a few years ago, when Nix was there. From BuffaloBills.com

Did Nix get the man he wanted all along?

This is probably more interesting than the truth, anyway, so why not speculate?

kj

I think you guys are reading WAY too much into this. So what would have happened if Dallas didn't make the switch? Nix would have had to put a player on his main roster that he didn't want? Most likely he wanted Rucker, but when he wasn't available he took Chandler who he also likes. Ask yourself too, why would Dallas have made the TE switch in the first place when the Bills put in the claim? Because they thought, after working with both players, that Rucker was the better of the two. Were they right? Who knows, but I wouldn't count on either player making a big impact on their respective teams.

Edited by CodeMonkey

My sarcasm detector is buzzing like flies, but I don't have any idea which piece of your post is sarcastic. Or is it all of it? Do you think it's good to pick up pro bowlers? Or fringe players? Would you prefer we just lay down and die?

Bills claim waived Cowboys TE

So the Bills:

1. Tried to sign TE Rucker off the Cowboys practice squad

2. Cowboys respond with an offer to put Rucker on active roster, which he accepts

3. To make room, the Cowboys waive TE Chandler, with the intent of placing him on practice squad, essentially intending to swap roster spots between Rucker and Chandler

4. Chandler was a draft pick (4th) by the Chargers a few years ago, when Nix was there. From BuffaloBills.com

Did Nix get the man he wanted all along?

This is probably more interesting than the truth, anyway, so why not speculate?

kj

Interesting thoughts but I don't think Nix will ever put that much thought into making a move.

KJ's conspiracy theory is a fun one, but I agree with Sabre Bill.

BTW, this move probably had more to do with Doug Whaley (with Buddy's approval) than Buddy himself. Whaley's primary responsibility is Pro Personnel I believe.

Exactly. He signs bums with names like Wrotto and Urbik. God forbid if we ever trusted those two on the right side, our already pathetic offense would resemble a Pop Warner offense (and thats being generous). Don't even get me started on no names like Donald Jones and David Nelson ...

:thumbsup:

Ask yourself too, why would Dallas have made the TE switch in the first place when the Bills put in the claim? Because they thought, after working with both players, that Rucker was the better of the two.

Or maybe they just thought that the Bills thought Rucker was the better of the two and that they wouldn't take Chandler. If the Cowboys really thought Rucker was better than Chandler, why wasn't Rucker on the active roster in the first place?

Edited by BRH

Or maybe they just thought that the Bills thought Rucker was the better of the two and that they wouldn't take Chandler. If the Cowboys really thought Rucker was better than Chandler, why wasn't Rucker on the active roster in the first place?

Well players with potential get stashed on the PS all the time. They didn't need to sign Rucker until Buddy came sniffing. Nothing unusual. Maybe Jerruh respects Chan Gailey enough to think that if he wants a player he must be worth keeping.

PTR

Nix would have to offer Rucker a contract, knowing that Rucker's agent would take the bait, that Rucker preferred to stay in Dallas and would have his agent contact the Cowboys, that the Cowboys would also offer Rucker a contract to their 53-man roster, and that the Cowboys would cut precisely the "guy he really wanted all along", and that that player wouldn't be claimed by someone else before the Bills. That's a lot of if's, and's and mind reading of a large number of people. :)

:thumbdown::thumbdown: did you have to pee on the parade???? :lol::lol: