Bills claim Dallas TE Scott Chandler

FluffHead

Why are people still harping on Merriman? It was a low risk gamble that only cost the Bills $1.7M, which is a drop in the bucket even during a capped year, which this is not. And reports were that he was mentoring the younger players during games and likely during film study (I don't know if he's still allowed to attend games and do film work, but I hope so).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cowboys easily could have thought that Rucker had more potential in the long run than Chandler, but kept Chandler on the active roster because he was a better blocker, and because the two guys ahead of him, were more receiver types (Witten and Marcellus Bennett). But ultimately, when the Bills went after Rucker, they had to choose between the guy who has probably hit his ceiling as a player and is simply a good blocker, or the guy with a lot of potential to be both down the line. And they chose the potential. It's a simple scenario.

Scott Chandler's profile from NFL draft scouts in 2007: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=9952&draftyear=2007&genpos=TE

Interesting that he ran a 4.78 40-yard at 6'7" and 270#, and was rated the 4th overall TE prospect (out of 102) and 108th in the draft.

At your link, one of the transactions says "The Iowa product finished his college career ranked second in school history among tight ends with 117 receptions for 1,476 yards."

And in one of the videos, they show a wide receiver named Scott Chandler. Did he begin his Iowa career as a WR? I don't know, but maybe this kid can catch a few balls. Especially with Fitz at the helm.

Why are people still harping on Merriman? It was a low risk gamble that only cost the Bills $1.7M, which is a drop in the bucket even during a capped year, which this is not. And reports were that he was mentoring the younger players during games and likely during film study (I don't know if he's still allowed to attend games and do film work, but I hope so).

Because some people are still grasping for any reason to bash Nix and the Bills, even as the team is finally showing signs of turning around.

PTR

At your link, one of the transactions says "The Iowa product finished his college career ranked second in school history among tight ends with 117 receptions for 1,476 yards."

And in one of the videos, they show a wide receiver named Scott Chandler. Did he begin his Iowa career as a WR? I don't know, but maybe this kid can catch a few balls. Especially with Fitz at the helm.

Actually, he did begin as a wide receiver at Iowa.

Scott Chandler

Seems like the kid can catch. And it looks like he hasn't seen much action in the passing game over his 4 years. But he's a good blocker who plays on ST's. Hopefully they can get him involved in the passing offense some.

Yeah that Nix is a genius when it comes to picking up fringe players off practice squads!

How did that Merriman "steal" work out?

I've always heard that the way to the Super Bowl is to be able to spot journeyman players that other teams don't want. Sweet!

More like Anti-Billsguy

I heard he's actually Pete Metzalaars.

Edited by whodat

?? What games?

The Bills have played their best ball in quite some time on both sides of the line since they signed Merriman.

Coincidence?

The Bills have played their best ball in quite some time on both sides of the line since they signed Merriman.

Coincidence?

Probably. I won't claim that his influence, if any, extends beyond the LB's and maybe the DE's.

Edited by Doc

I watched some Bills videos last night and I think he explained it well in the final video discussing the game against the Vikings. It's a one on one interview with the bald eagle Chris Brown. He said that instead of watching tape of a player, they wanted to pick up 2 of the best tight ends available and evaluate them up close and personal and said they won't be short term fixes but rather long term projects.

And if they don't develop or aren't worth keeping, they won't be around long.

I hope Chandler makes the most of his opportunity. BIG dude! Don't know much about the other guy they picked up.

Because some people are still grasping for any reason to bash Nix and the Bills, even as the team is finally showing signs of turning around.

PTR

Two wins is a sign of turning around?

I though this was about the baby, not the labor pains?

Two wins is a sign of turning around?

I though this was about the baby, not the labor pains?

Yeah 2 wins and three overtimes which were losses plus one other loss which went down to the final play all of which we went down by 3 points, plus a hard fought loss against the Pats*. Babies take time to grow before they are born

You are so freaking boring, go watch recordings of last years games since we were so much better then (or at least had more wins).

Yeah 2 wins and three overtimes which were losses plus one other loss which went down to the final play all of which we went down by 3 points, plus a hard fought loss against the Pats*. Babies take time to grow before they are born

You are so freaking boring, go watch recordings of last years games since we were so much better then (or at least had more wins).

Haha agree with bowery here. If he can't see the difference between last year and this year, that's his fault.

Yeah. Hey Buddy, please stick to signing Pro Bowl caliber players off the waiver wire to improve the roster in December.

I guess people don't understand that my post was not being critical of Buddy Nix.

I'll simplify it for you guys. I was being sarcastic about the fans who thought that the acquisition of Merriman and the acquisition of a 3rd string TE were significant. They were not significant and I was simply trying to chide the fans who got all excited about these type of acquisitions.

Some people think that these minor deals are going to make a big difference. I don't.

It's too bad so many fans think being mediocre to downright bad is acceptable. I don't.

I think too many people are afraid to face the truth about how dysfunctional the organization has become. A real fan doesn't stick his head in the sand and just ignore the ugly truth. A couple of close games and a couple of insignificant acquisitions and everybody seems satisfied.

Too bad the critics of my previous post didn't get it at all. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't misinterpret mine and then criticize your false assumptions.