What did you do when Stevie dropped the TD?

UB2SF

I'll start: As soon as the ball dropped to the turf, I fell off my couch, rolled across the living room floor, and wound up about 8 feet from where I started -- all the while screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" My two older kids were also flopping around, covering their eyes and wailing. My two-year-old son look scared ****less by all the commotion.

After composing myself, I realized that the dropped TD was a terrible omen, and prophesized to my kids that the game was lost.

Just curious about everyone else's reactions.

:w00t::lol:

How long have you been a Bills fan, 2 years? :doh:

I simply said "he dropped it." and laughed like everyone else watching the game with me. Not to mock my beloved Bills or this young exciting rising star Johnson. I laughed because after watching plays like these for over 40 freakin' years with zero SB wins as a life long Bills fan, you just get used to it. Plain and simple. Nothing new, nothing shocking, and certainly nothing to get all "screaming and flopping around" over. Let's be real here, the catch of the perfect pass would have only made the Bills

3-8-0....this is not "wide right" pain here, my friend.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was like "Yeahhhhh, nooooooo" and then do what I usually do on plays like that at home - was more prevalent when the games mattered more. I seem to turn my head and look behind me at the row behind me. I guess I need to have a moment to myself when that happens. And, my thoughts somehow are always "did that happen?" and when the fans behind me are acting similarly I realize I did see that right.

right after the " :ph34r: yes ! ", it took me about 0.1 seconds to set my head looking to the roof, putting my hands to my head right in front of my eyes staying in that position about 25-35 seconds, and just saying "Mais comment c'est possible ???? C'est pas possible putain de merde... Comment ils peuvent rater ça ??? Ils (les Bills) m'auront tout fait. Tout ! Ils sont maudits c'est pas possible autrement."

For the record my girlfriend was in the same room at the time, she came to see what were going on my computer (i watch games on internet), and I suspect she sort of realized I clearly might be metally affected (to react like that for a game) ; (she does not know the difference between American football, rugby, and even catch/WWFRaw).

The Sports Bar filled with Bill Backers errupted with cheers. Being a fan since 1964 I am conditioned to keep looking at the TV for a flag or a something odd before I can celebrate. I saw the drop and spent the next 15 to 20 seconds telling the hysterical masses that there is no TD.

Then I begged Fitz to put the ball in Freddie Jackson's hands somehow. I really think we should lean on him more when the game is on the line. That did not happen. We punted and you know the rest of the story.

That is exactly what happened!! I was in that bar with Bob, and I had taken off toward the other end, high fiving a bunch of people when suddenly it all stopped. I spent the next 10 minutes saying, "it's over, it's over," and the guy across from Bob kept saying he wasn't giving up. But any Bills fan knew when he dropped that ball that the game was over. I also lost my mind when Roethislberger ran for a first down on 3rd and 18. I just left the room and went into the rest room to chill and whiz. I actually knew they were gonna lose when they gave up that first down.

Initially I stood up in my chair yelling in a celebratory manner, because no way an NFL receiver drops such an perfectly thrown ball (maybe the best long ball Fitz has ever thrown). After I realized that Ocho Cinco Junior dropped the ball, I cursed a few times over without realizing it, as I don't like to curse in front of my kids, but I did it before I realized it.

No reaction at all. Maybe a little chuckle followed by another swig of beer. The Bills broke me a long time ago such that I have no reaction to anything Bills related positive or negative. The games are more entertaining to watch though and I'm not turning them off at halftime like the past few seasons so there is something to be said about that.

:w00t::lol:

How long have you been a Bills fan, 2 years? :doh:

<snip> Nothing new, nothing shocking, and certainly nothing to get all "screaming and flopping around" over.

As the OP, I feel I must respond to this. I was born a Bills fan in 1966, swaddled in a Bills blanket on the way home from the hospital. It actually disappoints me mightily that some people assume that anyone who actually cares enough to get excited/disappointed must be a naive newbie. I totally understand and respect the fact that so many years of disappointment make people emotionally detached from the experience of being a Bills fan. Heck, I've been there myself -- last year, on this board, I swore off watching the Jauron-Bills anymore because it was too depressing. But this season has restored the vigor to my Bills-watching experience, and I'm proud to say that I agan yell happily when they do well and I yell angrily when then don't.

I don't judge people for being emotionally detached nor for being emotionally invested; honestly, that's why I posted this topic, because I was curious about how many people responded emotionally versus unemotionally. But my brain registers a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" response when I try to process the paradox of Bills fans on a Bills discussion board actually critizing other Bills fans for caring about the success and failure or their team. :blink:

As the OP, I feel I must respond to this. I was born a Bills fan in 1966, swaddled in a Bills blanket on the way home from the hospital. It actually disappoints me mightily that some people assume that anyone who actually cares enough to get excited/disappointed must be a naive newbie. I totally understand and respect the fact that so many years of disappointment make people emotionally detached from the experience of being a Bills fan. Heck, I've been there myself -- last year, on this board, I swore off watching the Jauron-Bills anymore because it was too depressing. But this season has restored the vigor to my Bills-watching experience, and I'm proud to say that I agan yell happily when they do well and I yell angrily when then don't.

I don't judge people for being emotionally detached nor for being emotionally invested; honestly, that's why I posted this topic, because I was curious about how many people responded emotionally versus unemotionally. But my brain registers a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" response when I try to process the paradox of Bills fans on a Bills discussion board actually critizing other Bills fans for caring about the success and failure or their team. :blink:

:thumbsup:

My son and I jumped up at the same time. And we sat down in unison, too. There was a long pause in the room while other family members exited. Then we bitched about how the Bills can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory better than anyone else. Johnson isn't a goat. It was just his turn to let it happen. No one can circle the wagons (and have a wheel fall off) like the Bills.

My spouse and I were in the club suite at Qwest Field, preferring to defer watching the Seahawks get annihilated for a bit...there were two Steeler fans with us, one from Pittsburgh and the other from some Asian country or other. We ALL screamed - the Asian guy just about collapsed in relief when he saw the drop, the Pittsburgh guy put his head in his hands and said "we suck" (he couldn't believe the score wasn't Pittsburgh 52, Buffalo 0)...and the rest I have blocked from my consciousness. We watched a little bit more and decided to go to our seats. The Pittsburgh guy said "it's not over, you could still win" and we both kind of looked at him blankly and said:

These are the Bills. And we are Bills fans. We KNOW what's going to happen. :cry:

A funny trance-like feeling came over me. All was still. Suddenly I heard a deep voice, maybe God, maybe Lucifer. The voice said "THATS WHY SO SERIOUS STEVIE". Then I remembered something Solomon Willcots said earlier about how Chan Gailey was saying the night before the big game how much he liked Steve Johnson but how he needed to work on his concentration and staying focussed through 60 minutes of football. I started to feel better because this confirmed my belief that Chan was a really good football coach. Then I saw Hangartner congratulating Fitz and I started to laugh out loud. Then I went and changed my underwear.

I was estatic, confused, then pissed...

1. Long time friend is hard core Steelers fan...literally had phone in hand whole drive ready to dial and talk some smack when we won...

2. Knew Bills would now lose and I would be hearing from him promptly at the conclusion of the eventual loss...

3. As the moment passed it sank in that I also started SJ in a key fantasy matchup...his catch would have got me the point for the catch as its a PPR league, 1 point for every 10 yards on that catch, bonus point for going over 100 yards on the game, 6 points for the TD and then 2 bonus points for being over 40 yards on the TD...so I became doubly pissed as it was the reason I lost the fantasy game...

Then it just became humorous when I thought of all the creative ways we have found to lose games this year...

Edited by Alphadawg7