Why does Chan never run the ball in OT

mike6683

I'm starting to see Gailey as basically a Kevin Gilbride: Throw the ball, no matter what, and then throw some more.

58.5 % pass plays

41.5 % run plays

I don't know what the OT numbers are.

Since Pittsburgh has the #1 rushing defense in the league, the game-plan on O was to throw the ball. It worked pretty well. If all the catchable dropped balls had been caught, we would have won the game. Fitz and the game-plan were not the issues. Execution was . . .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said that Gailey doesn't want to win. If anything, airing it out shows he wants to be aggressive.

Busted. :nana:

I'm just playing, Doc!

My opinion is that Gailey is basically having Fitz shoulder the load to see if he's his QB of the future. Gailey knows the season is over so wins don't mean as much as finding his QB. Hence so few runs later in games and in OT.

8 passes and 1 run is unacceptable in OT. That's WHEN you run, when the other defense is exhausted. I'm getting sick of punting the ball at the 40 yard line because we can't pick up 6 yards in 2 downs. Yeah, Stevie dropped the pass, but we shouldve won the game multiple times besides that. Give me all the "Steelers run defense...blah blah" argument you want, but Freddy was averaging 5ypg, so we were pretty effective. Run your best 2 running plays, get the 6-7 yards and take a shot at the 50 yard field goal. The way he was running the ball you might pick up more or the 1st down.

This is now the 3rd OT we've blown by only passing the ball. Very valid point by the original poster and should be the focal point of conversation on this game, not the Stevie drop.

8 passes and 1 run is unacceptable in OT. That's WHEN you run, when the other defense is exhausted. I'm getting sick of punting the ball at the 40 yard line because we can't pick up 6 yards in 2 downs. Yeah, Stevie dropped the pass, but we shouldve won the game multiple times besides that. Give me all the "Steelers run defense...blah blah" argument you want, but Freddy was averaging 5ypg, so we were pretty effective. Run your best 2 running plays, get the 6-7 yards and take a shot at the 50 yard field goal. The way he was running the ball you might pick up more or the 1st down.

This is now the 3rd OT we've blown by only passing the ball. Very valid point by the original poster and should be the focal point of conversation on this game, not the Stevie drop.

I agree. Fred's only carry in OT was 13 yards up the gut. Late in the game is when a good RB can break a good one when the D is tired like they were. The SJ drop was on 1st down from the 40. I don't see why a run or 2nd and/or 3rd down perhaps could have gotten 5 or more yards closer. Passing is our strength (never though I'd say that going into this year), but 8 passes to 1 run is not balanced enough. Takes out any element of surprise we might have. Of course if SJ catches that gimme ...

I brought this up before in another OT game which we blew. You need to get the clock going and cant expect your Qb to make very play. 2nd and 3rd and long is not the way to go

This is my point exactly "I'm getting sick of punting the ball at the 40 yard line because we can't pick up 6 yards in 2 downs. "

I'm starting to see Gailey as basically a Kevin Gilbride: Throw the ball, no matter what, and then throw some more.

58.5 % pass plays

41.5 % run plays

Yeah, and since getting booted from the bills due to a revolt of know it all fans, Kevin Gilbride has a Super Bowl ring and is still running the offense for one of the leagues elite teams.

I swear, it never !@#$ing stops....

"Whaaaaa he throws too much"

"Whaaaaa he passes too much"

"Whaaaaa hes too conservative"

"Whaaaaa he takes too many chances"

Edited by RkFast

Busted. :nana:

I'm just playing, Doc!

No, you got me in what seems to be a contradiction. What I'm saying is that he's putting it all on Fitz' shoulders to win games, to see what he has in him. The play-calling is anything but not playing to win.

My opinion is that Gailey is basically having Fitz shoulder the load to see if he's his QB of the future. Gailey knows the season is over so wins don't mean as much as finding his QB. Hence so few runs later in games and in OT.

I don't buy that..If this is a QB audition, then why not in regular Quarters too.

Boy, after seeing Fitz throw the ball in the wind yesterday, if he's not the guy to be QB , i don't know who is.. very impressive.. that guy is a gamer and he can has the throwing skills to go with it

It could be because we have trouble run blocking and the Steelers are on a pace to end this season with the best rushing defense in the history of the NFL.

However, Fred Jackson was running the ball very well and in fact had move the team from the 35 to the Steelers 40.

58.5 % pass plays

41.5 % run plays

the rules totally favor the pass in the NFL. Take a look at who won the last couple super bowls. you'll never win consistently in the NFL without a big time passing game, because you will lose to the teams who have that..

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

You know I was thinking the same thing. The three OT loses all ended the same us throwing the ball instead of just trying to get 8-10 yards to get into Lindels range. On the other hand after suffering through DJ and his boring style of football I kind of enjoy the gun slinging style!

Since Pittsburgh has the #1 rushing defense in the league, the game-plan on O was to throw the ball. It worked pretty well. If all the catchable dropped balls had been caught, we would have won the game. Fitz and the game-plan were not the issues. Execution was . . .

That's the thing with the passing game though, you're going to get dropped balls, you're going to get poorly thrown balls when a WR is wide open, you're going to get tipped balls for INTs - it's just what happens in the passing game. To expect these things not to happen is wishful thinking.

It's highly unusual for a QB to put the ball up 40 times and not get at least one turnover - and when you are a mediocre team you can't overcome turnovers. I love the aggressive play calls (like going deep on 1st down from the 40) but he does need to even it out with a bit more balance. Jackson is a quality back and the Bills most reliable offensive player and the more times we get the ball in his hands the better.

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

I two am frustrated by this. I don't have exact numbers but in 3 overtimes plus the Bears game we have struggled late in the game to put it away and in all cases we are passing too much and doing it with an empty backfield.

I understand tht Pittsburgh is tough to run on but Fred Jackson is a clutch player. I want to see him in the game in these situations, if for no other reason than to keep the defense honest.

When we need need 5 to 7 yards for a game winning field goal I am not saying go "Jauron conservated" but lets give Jackson a few shots.

Final point -- a legitmate NFL quality TE would help. I big recieving target that can also block is a missing piece of the puzzle that needs to be addressed in the off season.

Anyone complaining about the pass calls for this team has to get his head examined. Gailey knows this is a passing team and his play calling should be that last thing questioned on this team. How can you not love the way this offense has looked. This offense may not be as potent (and pass happy) as the Patriots but smart coaches recognize how to play to their strengths.....