Being a Black QB; It Must be Tough

Rob's House

Perception of Black QBs  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think race affects black QBs?

• It's like Jim Crow out there
    • There may be a little more scrutiny on them
    • Teams are just concerned with winning
    • They often get a pass by media types who don't want to offend

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=hill/101123

A case of a writer who starts with a conclusion and moves backwards from there.

In 2007, McNabb told HBO's "Real Sports" that black quarterbacks in the NFL face more pressure and tougher criticism than white quarterbacks do...McNabb's words seem even truer now than they were three years ago.

Uh...No. Should they?

The first time Campbell was benched this season was during halftime of the second game of the season.

How'd that game turn out again? I mean, it's not like a white QB would get benched after only 2 games :unsure:

But Campbell's shortcomings are rarely clarified with the same perspective as some white quarterbacks...but you don't hear that he's played for a different offensive coordinator in every season since the Redskins drafted him...

Living an hour and change from DC, that's ALL you've heard since he was drafted.

Young certainly has shown some immaturity...His behavior, at times, has been inexcusable...[this is my favorite part]But is it possible that some of Young's actions are a result of Fisher's lack of confidence

You certainly wouldn't want him to assume responsibility for his own behavior. Think of how many white QBs behave like this and are coddled by their coaches. OK, I can't think of any either, but you know, I'm just sayin.

Young wanted to play despite a busted thumb. If Brett Favre had done that, we'd say he was being fiercely competitive.

The difference is, Brett Favre actually tells the coach to put him back in, rather than standing quietly on the sideline and then throwing a temper tantrum because no one read his mind. But except for that it's totally the same thing.

"Any franchise Caucasian quarterback will get unlimited opportunities to realize their potential," says Shaun King, an African-American who quarterbacked the Tampa Bay Bucs to the NFC Championship Game in 1999.

says lazy ass Shaun King who stepped into an ideal situation, showed zero work ethic, and pissed his career away. I guess it's easier to blame racism than yourself. He does have a point though, in that the David Carrs and Rex Grossmans of the NFL are still considered "franchise" QBs.

By the way, how many chances did Kordell Stewart get? And isn't Travaris Jackson sitting pretty as the heir apparent to Brett Favre after showing little more than an inability to translate his talent into game day production?

But if most of us agree that racism is still an issue in this country, how can we dismiss its influence in sports?

It's called proportionality. Sure, race may play a part in perceptions people have, but when you overreach in a futile attempt to make the facts fit your contrived self-serving theory, you not only sound like an idiot, you close people's ears and minds to legitimate issues of prejudice. Way to be a !@#$ing tool.

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to run from the fact that racism is an issue in the United States. I do not for a minute believe it is an issue with NFL QB's. The fact of the matter is that the position is a focal point on any team. Outside of Brees, the Manning brothers and Brady every QB in the league faces what may be unfair expectations relative to the success of their team. Was Trentative benched then cut because he is white? Maybe its because he is from California ... maybe his hairstyle .. c'mon fact of the matter is that very few individuals .. black or white can play the role of NFL QB well over a sustained period.

Edited by BuffaloBill

It always kills me when people who work at ESPN complain about how media portrays stuff. It's like Vitale saying "nobody talks about ___, wah". Well you're the most prominent voice in college hoops so why don't you talk about them instead of crying about it and talking about Duke/UNC all the time.

"You don't hear about the adversity Campbell had to overcome in Washington" - really? That must be why the Raiders were one of the more popular sleeper picks in August. Nevermind the Raiders drafting Russell in the first place.

"You don't hear anyone criticizing Palmer" - really? Seriously? What are you watching/reading/listening to - KKK radio?

You seriously don't understand why Manning gets more slack than McNabb for throwing a pick?

"If Brett Favre had done this..." - I mean c'mon, John Madden is retired; the universal Favre love from the media burned and crashed about 5 years ago, for good reason.

Cliff Notes: "I'm aware of facts A, B, and C that basically kill the point I'm trying to make, but it seems from my anecdotal observations ___". Gee, that's moving.

My own anecdotal note as someone who has lived in Philly for a while - McNabb is less popular among black fans than whites.

Edited by BuffOrange

I'm with PTR on this concept. While there may be some extra scrutiny (certainly not conscious), I think the larger issue with the QBs mentioned in the article is performance or attitude. McNabb's situation may be a bit different. McNabb had great success in Philly and was/is well-regarded. His issue in Washington sounds more like he and Shanahan didn't see eye-to-eye on how he fit into Shanahan's system. Shanahan did himself a disservice by coming up with BS reasons why he pulled McNabb.

It always kills me when people who work at ESPN complain about how media portrays stuff. It's like Vitale saying "nobody talks about ___, wah". Well you're the most prominent voice in college hoops so why don't you talk about them instead of crying about it and talking about Duke/UNC all the time.

"You don't hear about the adversity Campbell had to overcome in Washington" - really? That must be why the Raiders were one of the more popular sleeper picks in August. Nevermind the Raiders drafting Russell in the first place.

"You don't hear anyone criticizing Palmer" - really? Seriously? What are you watching/reading/listening to - KKK radio?

You seriously don't understand why Manning gets more slack than McNabb for throwing a pick?

"If Brett Favre had done this..." - I mean c'mon, John Madden is retired; the universal Favre love from the media burned and crashed about 5 years ago, for good reason.

Cliff Notes: "I'm aware of facts A, B, and C that basically kill the point I'm trying to make, but it seems from my anecdotal observations ___". Gee, that's moving.

My own anecdotal note as someone who has lived in Philly for a while - McNabb is less popular among black fans than whites.

A point I have been making for some time...funny when you watch FOX News, they are always railing about the treatment of their issues by the media, but then are quick to brag about being America's most popular source for news...so, are they saying that even they don't take themselves seriously as a news media outlet?

I think the ESPN article is silly, as mentioned by others, all of these guys have had problems with their coaches, for specific reasons, related to performance.

I think it is kind of silly, though, to pretend that there isn't still a large amount of the NFL fan base that would rather not see a black QB as the #1 on their team. It is embarassing that this attitude still exists, but it does...I have heard it first hand from fellow Bills fans.

I do think that race may still play a factor to a minor extent, but it's nothing like it was 20,30,40 years ago. There are always going to be people who are racist in any line of work no matter where you go or what you do. It's just the way the world is. Campbell is a garbage QB IMO, McNabb was rumored to be out of shape or just flat out ineffective, and VY just seems to be a little too fragile mentally. I don't call getting paid millions of $'s to play the highest profile position in the NFL getting discriminated on by "the devil". If they were playing at a Fitz level and putting up Fitz type numbers this wouldn't even be a convo right now. :thumbsup:

Best Post EVER!!! B-)

"You know when it comes to racism, people say, 'I don't care if they're black, white, purple, or green.' Uh, hold on now- purple people? You gotta draw the line somewhere. To hell with purple people!"

-Mitch Hedberg, the greatest stand up comedian of all-time

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Jemele Hill is one of the most worthless writers I have ever seen. She gets paid to race-bait.

Perhaps she should write about how women are discriminated against when it comes to getting on an NFL field. I wonder if Ed Wang thinks Chinese offensive linemen don't get a fair shake in the NFL?