with the #2 pick in the 2011 draft the buffalo bills pick?

superbills315

We have lots of needs as everyone knows. We Need to Move Wood to Center, Maybe find a 3rd round Guard or Slide Urbik in there. We need a QB, fitz is solid , not flasy but gets the job done. We need a Pas rusher, and we need a RT. We also need a Speed hard hitting LB's. We also need to add a Corner as McGee is starting to break down. We also have to be on the lookout for a new Kicker and punter as our guys while still good are aging.

Dude you can't have it all. I don't care if McGee retires, you go with Florence, McKelvin, Corner and Youboty, you'll be fine. They need friggin hulking African-American linebackers from the SEC who weigh 260 lbs and have fraternity symbols branded onto their biceps. Two of them. I don't care if it's your first two picks. I don't care if they're inside or outside. I am done with castoffs playing linebacker on this team.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Realistically, I think we'll be picking somewhere between #5 - #8, and I'm praying Ryan Mallett is still on the board when we do.

I think that the chances of us getting Mallett betweeb 5 and 8 are quite slim. Others disagree, but I think that Jones is going to trade up and grab him.

I just hope that he doesn't make the trade with Ralph, but it wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if this happens.

I was a big Adrian Clayborn fan at one time, but he's too inconsistent. Works sometimes and then takes other games off. I'll take Mallet at 2. If we get lower than 3, a DE or LT would be appropriate. I'm still not convinced about Locker.

I think that the chances of us getting Mallett betweeb 5 and 8 are quite slim. Others disagree, but I think that Jones is going to trade up and grab him.

I just hope that he doesn't make the trade with Ralph, but it wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if this happens.

I'd tend to agree - especially with Jones being a fellow-Razorback. Maybe we end up in a better draft position, or maybe Buddy can trade up. Maybe Gabe Carimi will rise further up the board when we're picking - or Buddy trades down, grabs Carimi and more picks.

But if we lose out on Mallett, well hey, there's always Andrew Luck in 2012, or Oregon's Darron Thomas in 2013, or Chad Kelly (Jim's nephew) in 2014...

Chad Kelly just finished an amazing season as the St. Joe's QB, leading the Marauders to the League AA Monsignor Martin Championship as the title game's MVP. Kelly put up numbers even uncle Jim would be envious of in his junior season. Chad passed for 25 touchdowns and ran for 14 more - accounting for 39 touchdowns - and according to Max Preps.com, Kelly became the first player in New York state history to run for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season.

In 11 games, Kelly passed for 2,159 yards and rushed for 1,057 more, and that type of performance gets noticed. Chad is hearing regularly from such schools as Ohio St., Penn St., Georgia, Syracuse, Wisconsin and a host of others.

Chad Kelly already has good size at 6-2, 190, and is still growing. How strong is his arm? Kelly won four straight national Punt, Pass and Kick national competitions, and last year threw the football some 70 yards in the air in San Diego to win it.

(From WGRZ - Link-Chad Kelly Making HOF Uncle Jim Proud)

Also, from Buffalo Snooze - Kelly puts on show at The Ralph

Forget Luck, Mallett, and all the rest - Kelly's the most NFL-ready high school senior ever known to man! Too bad he can't enter the draft this April ;)

Edited by The Senator

There's still a lot of football left, and I could see our Bills winning 2 more games. Certainly the Bengals are right there for the taking.

Even so, if we end up dropping to 3rd or 4th overall, and those top QB's are gone...I say go pass rush, baby! We desperately need the next Bruce Smith as much as we need the next Jim Kelly.

That will not be a wasted pick (as long as Modrak is not doing the scouting), if we go for the best pass rusher/ d lineman available.

I'd tend to agree - especially with Jones being a fellow-Razorback. Maybe we end up in a better draft position, or maybe Buddy can trade up. Maybe Gabe Carimi will rise further up the board when we're picking - or Buddy trades down, grabs Carimi and more picks.

But if we lose out on Mallett, well hey, there's always Andrew Luck in 2012, or Oregon's Darron Thomas in 2013, or Chad Kelly (Jim's nephew) in 2014...

Chad Kelly just finished an amazing season as the St. Joe's QB, leading the Marauders to the League AA Monsignor Martin Championship as the title game's MVP. Kelly put up numbers even uncle Jim would be envious of in his junior season. Chad passed for 25 touchdowns and ran for 14 more - accounting for 39 touchdowns - and according to Max Preps.com, Kelly became the first player in New York state history to run for over 1,000 yards and pass for over 2,000 yards in the same season.

In 11 games, Kelly passed for 2,159 yards and rushed for 1,057 more, and that type of performance gets noticed. Chad is hearing regularly from such schools as Ohio St., Penn St., Georgia, Syracuse, Wisconsin and a host of others.

Chad Kelly already has good size at 6-2, 190, and is still growing. How strong is his arm? Kelly won four straight national Punt, Pass and Kick national competitions, and last year threw the football some 70 yards in the air in San Diego to win it.

(From WGRZ - Link-Chad Kelly Making HOF Uncle Jim Proud)

Also, from Buffalo Snooze - Kelly puts on show at The Ralph

Forget Luck, Mallett, and all the rest - Kelly's the most NFL-ready high school senior ever known to man! Too bad he can't enter the draft this April ;)

Man, that does suck.

It would be atleast 3 years before we could even have a shot at him- assuming that he performs as good on the college stage as he has in high school.

3 years from now I don't see the Bills being in the basement (atleast I freakin' hope not!), and will probably be starting to round that corner into respectability. That would probably put us right in the middle of the pack/ Top 20 teams.

Darn.

Truth is, I think we're looking at a #5 or 6 pick. We're likely to win at least a 2-3 more games. We need to spend all of our picks on BIG guys, linemen and linebackers ONLY. Stock the cupboards and lets get some beef in town.

Boy, how can this team win 2 or 3 more games....If they don't win against Cincy..tell me who else they'll beat?

There's still a lot of football left, and I could see our Bills winning 2 more games. Certainly the Bengals are right there for the taking.

Even so, if we end up dropping to 3rd or 4th overall, and those top QB's are gone...I say go pass rush, baby! We desperately need the next Bruce Smith as much as we need the next Jim Kelly.

That will not be a wasted pick (as long as Modrak is not doing the scouting), if we go for the best pass rusher/ d lineman available.

Man, that does suck.

It would be atleast 3 years before we could even have a shot at him- assuming that he performs as good on the college stage as he has in high school.

3 years from now I don't see the Bills being in the basement (atleast I freakin' hope not!), and will probably be starting to round that corner into respectability. That would probably put us right in the middle of the pack/ Top 20 teams.

Darn.

The key, Red, is to figure out who will suck in 2014, then trade for that teams 2014 #1 pick - kind of like NE* did by trading Richard Seymour in the summer of '09, for Oakland's first-round pick this April.

(Only the Raiders aren't sucking as bad as Belicheat* needs them to, in order for him* to grab Ryan Mallett as *Brady's eventual replacement - maybe Buddy's got a better crystal ball!)

1. Adrian Clayborn, DE

College: Iowa

Height/Weight: 6-3, 287

He put up 11.5 sacks and 20 tackles for loss last season. He also showed up on the big stage, helping Iowa beat Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl. Clayborn has all the traits to be a very good player and is an outstanding person. He should go in the top 10 of the 2011 draft.

per Gil Brandt

Agreed. Forget QB. Fitz is Hasselbeck, and Hasselbeck is good enough for me. I want to win soon, drafting a QB puts us back another 3 years. These guys are starting to "get it", lets not start a QB development project right in the middle of it.

Dude you can't have it all. I don't care if McGee retires, you go with Florence, McKelvin, Corner and Youboty, you'll be fine. They need friggin hulking African-American linebackers from the SEC who weigh 260 lbs and have fraternity symbols branded onto their biceps. Two of them. I don't care if it's your first two picks. I don't care if they're inside or outside. I am done with castoffs playing linebacker on this team.

great post. in the 3-4, you need your best players at LB.

Again, I'd love to see the Bills 2011 draft go something like this...

Ryan Mallett, QB-Arkansas - Round 1

Gabe Carimi - OT-Wisconsin - Round 2 (or Round 1a via trade)

Dontay Moch - DE/OLB-Nevada - Round 3

Owen Marecic - FB/ILB/ST-Stanford - Round 4a

Remainder of draft - best player available

I was hoping we could steal Pitt DE Greg Romeus (formerly projected in round 1 until back surgery) in the late rounds, but in his first game back he tore his ACL - poor kid went from 1st-round prospect to possibly being done playing football...

The Greg Romeus injury

Injury shelves Pitt's Romeus for season

Injuries torpedo Greg Romeus' draft stock

(Might be worth a 5th-to-7th round pick even if he goes on IR/PUP for the season - I'd certainly gamble a 7th - can't hurt us any more than the Marcus Easley, Danny Batten, or Kyle Calloway picks!)

Edited by The Senator

Assuming that Luck isn't available for us if Jerry Jones wanted to make a deal to move up with us to draft Mallett I would make that deal in a heartbeat. If the Bills could acquire another high pick such as a second or third in addition to exchanging first round picks I would jump on it.

We have both stated our diverging views on Mallett on more than one occasion. Our opinions on him can't be reconciled, so I respectfully disagree with you and will wait to see how it plays out. I also strongly disagree with you that Dallas has an interest in taking Mallett with their first pick. The have major needs on the OL and D-backfield. If I had to venture a guess I would think that they would be honing in on the CBs from LSU and Nebraska.

Jerry Jones association with Akansas will not have a bearing when he drafts, especially with his first round selection. That is another area where I respectfully disagree with you.

Edited by JohnC

Nothin'-fer'-nothin', but this is about as :censored: -ed up as it gets - half a season to play, and and all we're talkin' is the draft :(

What do you expect when the hometeam wins one game out of its first nine? Do you want a playoff and SB thread? Even the owner knows the scoop: He cautions Pain and Patience.

Are you aware that your numerous Mallett advocacy postings fall in the draft category? The same topic that now has you fulminating.

Edited by JohnC

What do you expect when the hometeam wins one game out of its first nine? Do you want a playoff and SB thread? Even the owner knows the scoop: He cautions Pain and Patience.

Are you aware that your numerous Mallett advocacy postings fall in the draft category? The same topic that now has you fulminating.

Calm down, John - I'm not fuliminating. (Great word, though! :thumbsup: )

It was just a comment, ferschrissakes - and a sad one, too - that all of us, myself included, are now so totally focused on April rather than all the football left to be played.

Edited by The Senator

Calm down, John - I'm not fuliminating. (Great word, though! :thumbsup: )

It was just a comment, ferschrissakes - and a sad one, too - that all of us, myself included, are now so totally focused on April rather than all the football left to be played.

You and I are in accord that it is very sad that discussion of the draft has come so soon in the season. What makes it more frustrating is that early discussion of the draft has happened so often over the past decade. The Bills haven't been serious contenders for a very long time. So discussing the playoff race for us seems very detached from reality.

The path out of the doldrums is the draft. The Bills have fumbled their way through the draft for many years. Just maybe, things will change and the direction will be forward instead of being downward and sideways.

I apologize for the pontificating. I will try to tone it down a little. Hard for me to do. Being reactionary comes much easier to me than being passive. Hard to go against nature. ;)

You and I are in accord that it is very sad that discussion of the draft has come so soon in the season. What makes it more frustrating is that early discussion of the draft has happened so often over the past decade. The Bills haven't been serious contenders for a very long time. So discussing the playoff race for us seems very detached from reality.

The path out of the doldrums is the draft. The Bills have fumbled their way through the draft for many years. Just maybe, things will change and the direction will be forward instead of being downward and sideways.

I apologize for the pontificating. I will try to tone it down a little. Hard for me to do. Being reactionary comes much easier to me than being passive. Hard to go against nature. ;)

Amen, brother, and hey, no blood, no foul - I am of the exact same reactionary nature! (And I do indeed fulminate - quite often, even!)

I think our draft fortunes are going take a 180-degree turn, now that Nix calls the shots - we'll see soon enough...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Edited by The Senator

I'm starting to come around to the idea that we won't get the #2 pick. Only if we intentionally try to lose will we actually get it. The Lions, Bengals, Cowboys, Vikings, and half of the AFC and NFC West have a decent chance at beating us out. If we end up at #11 in the draft I will literally drop a brick.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that we won't get the #2 pick. Only if we intentionally try to lose will we actually get it. The Lions, Bengals, Cowboys, Vikings, and half of the AFC and NFC West have a decent chance at beating us out. If we end up at #11 in the draft I will literally drop a brick.

If you are seriously rooting for the Bills to lose, you could probably benefit from a nice 50-pound dump anyway.

My preference is to be in a high draft positon with the best case scenario being in position to draft Luck. If the Bills string some wins together (odds against) then that is okay. What the Bills need to do is to draft smart from wherever they are picking. That is all you can ask for. If that is consistently done then eventually the tide is going to turn for us.

Drew Brees was a second round pick. He is a premier qb. He was acquired on the free agent market. Kurt Warner was in the arena league and bounced all over the place before becoming a potential HOF qb who also possesses a SB ring. Our most effective running back Jackson played for Coe College and also played in Europe. Look at Michael Vick and the Eagles. Who would have thought that he would have regained his abilities after being in jail for nearly two years? The Eagles took a gamble on him and he has played better than anyone would have dreamed. Certainly, good coaching is a factor in the elevation of his game.

The point I'm emphasizing is that there are a variety of ways to upgrade one's roster. The teams with the best scouting are consistent winners. The teams who fail at that tricky endeavor remain mediocre.

I strongly believe that Luck is the best qb in this draft. But it isn't inconceivable that Mallett or even Newton become better qbs in the long run. Who knows? Locker's performance has taken a dramatic dive this season. What if his spiral down was mostly due to injuries and playing with a bad team? Who is to say that he might not end up being the best of the lot?

Robert Quinn, any questions/

Another great Chapel Hill Player. Fantastic frame 6'5 270, explosive first step, great strength (tied with Bruce Carter with most bench press reps) with good moves. Unfortunately he was suspended for the year and that could very well affect his draft placement. I'd be totally OK with the Bills picking Quinn with their first pick (assuming Luck isn't available).

Another great Chapel Hill Player. Fantastic frame 6'5 270, explosive first step, great strength (tied with Bruce Carter with most bench press reps) with good moves. Unfortunately he was suspended for the year and that could very well affect his draft placement. I'd be totally OK with the Bills picking Quinn with their first pick (assuming Luck isn't available).

there's a guy i can get behind. if he would have played this year he would have been the top prospect but he will have to around the 10 spot due to the circumstances.

If the Bills pick Ryan Mallet I'm going to throw myself through the television.

To add a bit more to why I said that. Just in short, Ryan Mallet is a statue and even when he does move, he can't make throws on the run. Plus, he's inaccurate as is. If you are going to be a statue, you better place the ball where ever you want, when ever you want. Its mind boggling to me why intelligent posters like this kid.

If Luck doesn't declare or the Bill's cant pick him, they need to go DL. With no stand out OT on the board, its not even a choice. This team will be continue to suck until they get some talent on the defensive front 7.

If Luck isn't available...either because he remains in college or is selected before us, I agree. You select the best player available, and in this case it isn't Mallett or Locker. In fact, if the Bills select Locker as their "QB of the future" I'll throw myself through your television as well.

Round 2. Pick 30something...Nick Fairley, Auburn. He will demand Brady to fear him, then hurt him. Sanchez will also have no chance.

Are you serious? Round 2? Nick Fairley is going to be a top 5 pick. I only hope he's there when the Bills pick in the first. The guy is by far the best defensive lineman in college football.