Whitner finally says something that makes sense

billsfreak

'"It's terrible," said safety Donte Whitner. "It's 0-5. We're the laughingstock of the National Football League. I think we're losing fans by the minute."'

Might be the first thing that Lil' Donte has said that makes sense and is 100% accurate. Maybe all those hard hits he is putting on people 30 yards downfield are knocking some sense into him?

Edited by billsfreak

So it's his fault he is covering WRs 20-30 yards downfield and has to make tackles 20 yards downfield b/c our front 7 is so bad? You cannot blame him for that.

If you go to the games and actually watch the plays develop it is NOT the defensive backfields' fault. Donte Whitner is far from the problem on this team. If the board wants a "whipping boy" try the front seven....they are terrible.

I still don't understand all the hate for Donte. He was the only player in the secondary who made plays last week. He was all over the field making tackles. Yes.....as so many point out, they were "down field" but the dude is a safety....he does not play up on the line of scrimmage, neither does Poz for that matter. Their tackles will mostly all be down field. Anyone who has actually played football at any point should know this.

He does run his mouth a little to much, but it's obvious he cares and wants to win. I hope we keep him and get more players like him in the future.

All you haters ask yourself this. Just based on Donte's production...If he was an undrafted free agent that played college ball in Western New York, would you still bash him so much?

The guy is who he is. He is a quality safety who plays the run very well and is adequate in coverage. He was a reach at 8 overall and has not been a superstar, but he is a quality starter and someone who takes pride in what he does and wants to be a leader for this organization. As fans, we should be rallying behind guys like that, not tearing them down.

Edited by tonyd19

I still don't understand all the hate for Donte. He was the only player in the secondary who made plays last week. He was all over the field making tackles. Yes.....as so many point out, they were "down field" but the dude is a safety....he does not play up on the line of scrimmage, neither does Poz for that matter. Their tackles will mostly all be down field. Anyone who has actually played football at any point should know this.

He does run his mouth a little to much, but it's obvious he cares and wants to win. I hope we keep him and get more players like him in the future.

All you haters ask yourself this. Just based on Donte's production...If he was an undrafted free agent that played college ball in Western New York, would you still bash him so much?

The guy is who he is. He is a quality safety who plays the run very well and is adequate in coverage. He was a reach at 8 overall and has not been a superstar, but he is a quality starter and someone who takes pride in what he does and wants to be a leader for this organization. As fans, we should be rallying behind guys like that, not tearing them down.

Could not agree more. He is a good footbal player. Not what you want out of the 8th pick in the draft but of the top 10 players picked that year he is in the middle of the pack in terms of how they ave done in the NFL. Matt Leinert, Vince Young very up and down, M Huff another safety etc...

He does run his mouth too much for my liking but he is a good player. He plays hard, was 2nd on the team in tackles last week and he's the safety. That is NOT his fault. I think he would be pretty happy having a front 7 like the Vikings

Could not agree more. He is a good footbal player. Not what you want out of the 8th pick in the draft but of the top 10 players picked that year he is in the middle of the pack in terms of how they ave done in the NFL. Matt Leinert, Vince Young very up and down, M Huff another safety etc...

He does run his mouth too much for my liking but he is a good player. He plays hard, was 2nd on the team in tackles last week and he's the safety. That is NOT his fault. I think he would be pretty happy having a front 7 like the Vikings

I don't disagree with you at all, I started this post more of a tongue in cheek thing in that he does run at the mouth at times. You are right in that he is a decent player, especially on this team, but you would expect a little more for the #8 overall pick. Is he the problem with this team? There is no one person that is "the" problem with this team, the whole organization is a mess. I like him, I just kinda played with the "Lil Donte" as I had seen it on this board quite awhile, and he has his haters on this board, just like alot of players do. Me personally, I don't see the reasoning behind the way people on this board hate certain players, like Edwards, Whitner, Poz, Evans, etc. Do I like Fitz as the QB, heck no, but I don't hate him, in fact I have met both Fitz and Whitner at camp and talked briefly with them, and both seem like stand up guys. I didn't mean this post as a slam at Whitner, it was more out of frustration with the team in agreeing with his comment, when I don't agree with alot of the things he says.

'"It's terrible," said safety Donte Whitner. "It's 0-5. We're the laughingstock of the National Football League. I think we're losing fans by the minute."' Might be the first thing that Lil' Donte has said that makes sense and is 100% accurate. Maybe all those hard hits he is putting on people 30 yards downfield are knocking some sense into him?

Really? Losing fans by the minute? He doesn't understand Bills fans then. We are a masochistic lot by nature. Maybe the fair-weather or bandwagon fans are jumping ship but that happens to every NFL team when they are losing. Are we fed up? Sure. Have we seen this sorry act before? Yup. Are we leaving? Uh, no...(stupid as that might seem to some). Sorry, but he's not "100% accurate." If venting makes him feel better, then great...we all do it, too.

24 tackles in the last 2 games, I believe.

But no impact plays.

Strip a ballcarrier. Deflect a pass.

No impact players on this defense.

Meanwhile Cameron Wake is killing people.

Another opportunity lost.

The lost opportunity that eats at me is watching Orakpo playing in Washington, being picked two picks after Maybin was in the 2009 draft. In 21 games, Orakpo has 16 sacks, Maybe doesn't even have 16 tackles I don't believe, much less a single sack.

Really? Losing fans by the minute? He doesn't understand Bills fans then. We are a masochistic lot by nature. Maybe the fair-weather or bandwagon fans are jumping ship but that happens to every NFL team when they are losing. Are we fed up? Sure. Have we seen this sorry act before? Yup. Are we leaving? Uh, no...(stupid as that might seem to some). Sorry, but he's not "100% accurate." If venting makes him feel better, then great...we all do it, too.

The stadium looked to be losing a lot of people by the end of the 3rd quarter and we were only down by 11, I thought to myself in years past they all stay until the end. The question is do the Bills resign him after or before 2011 (his contract will be up and he will be a FA in 12) is over. And if they do how big will his 2nd contract be?

his details from roto world

8/5/2006: Signed a five-year, $29 million contract. The deal includes $13.5 million guaranteed. 2009: $2.355 million, 2010: $2.445 million, 2011: $1.95075 million (Voidable Year), 2012: Free Agent

I don't disagree with you at all, I started this post more of a tongue in cheek thing in that he does run at the mouth at times. You are right in that he is a decent player, especially on this team, but you would expect a little more for the #8 overall pick.

Yea, fans have to get over where he was drafted. He's a decent player. He will look better with better people around him.

Let's not forget...Whitner has always been a liability in coverage, not just the last couple years. He also is a very inconsistent tackler. I agree with previous posts, however, in that this team has far greater problems than Donte Whitner. There are other players/coaches who deserve a lot more criticism for their poor play (i.e., Cornell Green, Posluszny, George Edwards, Stroud, Maybin, just to name a few).

I think the fan outrage directed toward Whitner stems from the fact that he was the #8 overall pick in the draft, coupled with the fact that he is such a jackass with his incessant tweets and outrageous predictions. I get that.

Yea, fans have to get over where he was drafted. He's a decent player. He will look better with better people around him.

I kinda disagree. You wouldn't expect a decent player to be taken 8th, you'd expect an impact player to be drafted 8th.

It's not Whitner's fault where he was drafted, so it's hard for me to give him any crap. But with all of the talking he does, it's better for him to shut up and back it up on the field.

The Guy sucks, really sucks. Play out of position and is beyond slow to react. I didn't mind the pick when it was made but the guy is atrocious. It hurts to watch. And where the hell has Bird been?? Wow, I never thought I would wish for perry fewell back.

I don't disagree with you at all, I started this post more of a tongue in cheek thing in that he does run at the mouth at times. You are right in that he is a decent player, especially on this team, but you would expect a little more for the #8 overall pick. Is he the problem with this team? There is no one person that is "the" problem with this team, the whole organization is a mess. I like him, I just kinda played with the "Lil Donte" as I had seen it on this board quite awhile, and he has his haters on this board, just like alot of players do. Me personally, I don't see the reasoning behind the way people on this board hate certain players, like Edwards, Whitner, Poz, Evans, etc. Do I like Fitz as the QB, heck no, but I don't hate him, in fact I have met both Fitz and Whitner at camp and talked briefly with them, and both seem like stand up guys. I didn't mean this post as a slam at Whitner, it was more out of frustration with the team in agreeing with his comment, when I don't agree with alot of the things he says.

From your post it did not seem like you were bashig him, it just seems that in general he is one of the first players to catch heat when things go bad. I thought he played a really good game last week. As I have said, you can't make players be something they are not. It is not Donte's fault he was drafted 8th overall. Guys are who they are, Donte is a good safety who is a dependable and competitive player. He is not a hall of famer, but I'm glad we drafted him. He has faired far better than most of our draft picks have and if he were traded I believe he would be starting for about 30 other teams.

The fans will eventually hate everyone on this roster.

I remember when everyone loved Bledsoe, but soon that gave away to the "statue" comments, and then the eventual "lets see what Losman can do" threads. Then it became the Holcomb should be the starter threads, then the Edwards is a stud threads, then the Fitz is the best option threads, now the lets see what Brohm can do threads.

It is the same with any other player on this team. Evans sucks, lets see what Johnson can do, oh wait Johnson sucks lets see Parrish.

Blah, Blah, Blah.

24 tackles in the last 2 games, I believe.

But no impact plays.

Strip a ballcarrier. Deflect a pass.

No impact players on this defense.

Meanwhile Cameron Wake is killing people.

Another opportunity lost.

While he was out of position not making plays and avoiding contact, he dove into a pile wrestled a for a fumble a came away with it. Get some LB’s tackling the RB so he can start playing SS instead of ILB3. He is somewhere between the 8th and 11th worst player on the starting D.

Lil' Donte has to be the most posted about player on a 0-5 team. Every week he says how he has to step up but then doesn't make a play. Maybe, just maybe this is why fans are tired of Lil' Donte and his mouth. The real deal is that Lil' Donte has been here long enough that everyone knows what we have in him and it is Lil'.

As the longest of the long time critics, I wish to make 2 points about the situation wrt Lil' Donte:

1) Lil' Donte is NOT what is wrong with the Bills. He is however quite symbolic of every problem this team has. Congrats to Kelsay for passing him and being the most symbolic.

You see, Whitner hasn't changed from his college days. He is s well coached, small player with good technique. That's where it ends. He isn't particularly fast nor very strong, and his instincts for the ball would appear, after more than 4 years, to be average. This my friends is what Dick Levy chose to build the team around with a #8.

So, when fans see men like Ngata, Mangold, and even Davin Joseph playing football, tell yourselves that any of them could be Bills, IN ADDITION TO THE EXTRA 2ND ROUND (and more) picks that Dick Levy turned down trade down offers for! Marv said it himself on Sirius Radio.

In other words, Whitner represents the ineptitude which Mr. Wilson admitted, starts from the top. He after all hired Levy snd Jauron. Both are nice men but they are 2 clowns when it comes to running an NFL Football Team.

2) Never underestimate how much slack fans, and even team managers will cut for a first round pick. A totally useless player such as Maybin is a rare exception. Fans are still expecting Losman to light it up. Just the other day, McKelvin, a so-so corner and gadget player, was referred to on this board as a "shut down corner." :doh: McCargo completely sucks. It is probably an accident when he makes a play, yet he still has a job. Few want to admit that a person they had very high hopes for is a stark failure. It makes sense too, whereas we want them to perform and win.

The good news is that we really can build a team. A QB, 2 OTs, some LBs and we are competitive. More picks such as Donte and Leodois = more losses.

Wow! How drunk are you guys when watching Witner play!!!??? He's a complete liability out there! He is a bust and he should be the next player traded or cut. Just take a look at the stats of the last TE's we have played.

M. Lewis - 2 TD's

D. Keller - 2 TD's

He hasn't covered a TE his whole career. He is pathetic in pass coverage and occasionally has a big hit only to whiff on a tackle for a long TD the next play - See LT 2 weeks ago.

I like his bravado and his opinions because "losing" does effect him. I like the fact he is not afraid to back away from the hard questions etc...

But he sucks!

End of story.

As the longest of the long time critics, I wish to make 2 points about the situation wrt Lil' Donte:

1) Lil' Donte is NOT what is wrong with the Bills. He is however quite symbolic of every problem this team has. Congrats to Kelsay for passing him and being the most symbolic.

You see, Whitner hasn't changed from his college days. He is s well coached, small player with good technique. That's where it ends. He isn't particularly fast nor very strong, and his instincts for the ball would appear, after more than 4 years, to be average. This my friends is what Dick Levy chose to build the team around with a #8.

So, when fans see men like Ngata, Mangold, and even Davin Joseph playing football, tell yourselves that any of them could be Bills, IN ADDITION TO THE EXTRA 2ND ROUND (and more) picks that Dick Levy turned down trade down offers for! Marv said it himself on Sirius Radio.

In other words, Whitner represents the ineptitude which Mr. Wilson admitted, starts from the top. He after all hired Levy snd Jauron. Both are nice men but they are 2 clowns when it comes to running an NFL Football Team.

2) Never underestimate how much slack fans, and even team managers will cut for a first round pick. A totally useless player such as Maybin is a rare exception. Fans are still expecting Losman to light it up. Just the other day, McKelvin, a so-so corner and gadget player, was referred to on this board as a "shut down corner." :doh: McCargo completely sucks. It is probably an accident when he makes a play, yet he still has a job. Few want to admit that a person they had very high hopes for is a stark failure. It makes sense too, whereas we want them to perform and win.

The good news is that we really can build a team. A QB, 2 OTs, some LBs and we are competitive. More picks such as Donte and Leodois = more losses.

How exactly is a starting CB, one who is developing and showing some serious flashes of talent, a "gadget" player?

Oh wait, i know this answer. Any 1st round pick that isn't an OL is a "waste" and a "gadget" player.

Wow! How drunk are you guys when watching Witner play!!!??? He's a complete liability out there! He is a bust and he should be the next player traded or cut. Just take a look at the stats of the last TE's we have played.

M. Lewis - 2 TD's

D. Keller - 2 TD's

He hasn't covered a TE his whole career. He is pathetic in pass coverage and occasionally has a big hit only to whiff on a tackle for a long TD the next play - See LT 2 weeks ago.

I like his bravado and his opinions because "losing" does effect him. I like the fact he is not afraid to back away from the hard questions etc...

But he sucks!

End of story.

So Donte was wearing #90 on sunday? Because thats who got burned on 1 of the Lewis TDs last week. #31 got burned on the other one. So apparently he changed to jersey #31 for the second TD allowed?

I will commend you on a spectacular display of ignorance however.

So Donte was wearing #90 on sunday? Because thats who got burned on 1 of the Lewis TDs last week. #31 got burned on the other one. So apparently he changed to jersey #31 for the second TD allowed?

I will commend you on a spectacular display of ignorance however.

I agree with you that he wasn't in on the coverage but watch the GB game when he was interviewed about covering Finley and proceeded to get **** on. I don't think he scored but he sure as hell didn't stop him. Now that could be because Rodgers sat back there all day without a pass rush or Donte is just a bad cover guy, which he is. As a poster said above he does care and shows some heart but that doesn't make up for the lack of talent, which is apparent. Maybe if he played on a better team with better personnel but I cant imagine he would be a difference maker.

100% agree with that statement...Truer words have rarely been written on this Board... B-)

From your post it did not seem like you were bashig him, it just seems that in general he is one of the first players to catch heat when things go bad. I thought he played a really good game last week. As I have said, you can't make players be something they are not. It is not Donte's fault he was drafted 8th overall. Guys are who they are, Donte is a good safety who is a dependable and competitive player. He is not a hall of famer, but I'm glad we drafted him. He has faired far better than most of our draft picks have and if he were traded I believe he would be starting for about 30 other teams.

I agree, he might be a little disappointing for how high he was drafted, but compare him to the majority of the other first round picks this franchise has made over the past 10-12 years, suddenly he doesn't look so bad.

ok, everyone seems to be crappin on the bills defense now, saying that the switch to the 3-4 was the worst move nix and gailey have made. take a look around this league, maybe 50% of the teams in the NFL are now using the 3-4 and it was only a matter of time before Buffalo switched to it. At least we have a defensive coordinator who knows how to run it in George Edwards. The reason it isnt working out so well is because most of the players we already have dont fit in the 3-4 defense. You have CHRIS KELSAY dropping in coverage, its awful. marcus stroud, a former pro bowl DT is getting pushed around on the outside at DE, Aaron Maybin SUCKS, and Kyle Williams, bless his heart, is somehow still making plays at NT, despite being around 50 lbs lighter than the average NT.

and nobody, let me repeat, NO-BO-DY, has benefited more fromt the switch to the 3-4 than Donte Whitner. right now he's leading the team in tackles, just goes to show how pathetic the front 7 is. Whitner has stepped up his game and has shown flashes of why Levy selected him 8th overall.

Here's my opinion, the 3-4 defense will work in a year or two when we find guys who know the system and eliminate the guys who just cant be in it. For example, looking at what we have now, i say the front 3 should be LDE: Dwan Edwards (solid end in Baltimore), NT: Torrell Troup (whyd they draft him if he wasnt gonna play), and RDE: Kyle Williams (still making plays, but I feel with his size, he'd make more at the end position). LOLB: Aaron Maybin (lets give him one last hurrah before we wish him well in his future endeavors), MLBs: Paul Posluszny (obviously the Bills best linebacker) and Andra Davis (former Pro Bowl LB in Cleveland), ROLB: Akin Ayodele (had great seasons with the Jaguars at OLB). obviously the secondary speaks for itself

That, IMO, is a defense that can at the very least, give offenses alittle more trouble than what we've been giving them in the last 5 weeks. Then in the offseason, we try to upgrade at each position as much as possible and become competitive again. and for the last time, the 3-4 switch was the BEST THING to ever happen to Donte Whitner