Gailey Gives Maybin the Business

Cash

It's nice to see some refreshing doses of reality from the Bills in the last few weeks, even if there's still nothing refreshing about their play. At least Gailey seems in touch with reality. Maybin never does anything positive even when he gets on the field. That just can't be ignored.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/10/11/lb-update/

When Gailey was asked for an update in Aaron Maybin’s progress, since he wasn’t mentioned along with Antonio Coleman and Arthur Moats, the Bills head coach didn’t pull punches.

“Aaron is struggling right now,” said Gailey. ”He really is. He’s struggling to get on the field and when he gets his opportunities he’s struggling to make plays. We’ve got to continue to work with him to see how he develops.”

Maybin, who unofficially got two defensive snaps did not even appear on special teams Sunday.

“He’s struggling making plays period right now,” said Gailey. ”That’s hard for him. It’s hard for us. It’s hard for everybody. He’s just got to step up his game when he gets opportunities and make things happen.”

Edited by Cash

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see some refreshing doses of reality from the Bills in the last few weeks, even if there's still nothing refreshing about their play. At least Gailey seems in touch with reality. Maybin never does anything positive even when he gets on the field. That just can't be ignored.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/10/11/lb-update/

This is one reason why I have hope that Gailey and Nix might just get this thing turned around. Nobody is untouchable and nobody will remain on the roster if they do not step it up. Sad to sayu but Maybin has all of the markings of a bust. If he can't get on the field with this defense in its sorry state what where would he be with real talent?

Ya gotta feel for Gailey. Nix and Wilson are probably riding him to see if he can get the kid fixed, considering he was a 1st rounder. Lots of money and face involved here. One has to wonder who made the call to draft him. Wilson was right in his statement that he bears a lot of responsibility. If he can stay out the draft discussions, we might get this thing fixed, but it looks like he is already tipping the team's hand on what they want. Frankly I'd prefer drafting a LB, OT, or WR before a QB. You can sign a reasonably good journeyman QB for year or two until you build the lines and defense. We are scoring points. We just can't stop anyone. Oh where have you gone Mr Cottrell?

Translation to Gailey's comments.

Maybin is not good enought to play in this league. He is so bad, that he is not good enough to be a special teams player in this league right now. If he was not a first round pick he surely would have been cut by now. Hopefully, due to is age he will wise up, work much harder and get stronger so he may be able to contribute something by 2011. If not, his career will probably be over.

You should read the chat from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle guys, they say beyond Maybin sucking, he also has no football instincts. Those guys would cut him. Maybin better take this criticism to heart, get stronger in the office season and come in with Cameron Wake intensity or this guy will be pumping gas next fall. Aaron you wont get invited to all the good parties when your playing for Winnipeg.

Translation to Gailey's comments.

Maybin is not good enought to play in this league. He is so bad, that he is not good enough to be  a special teams player in this league right now. If he was not a first round pick he surely would have been cut by now. Hopefully, due to is age he will wise up, work much harder and get stronger so he may be able to contribute something by 2011. If not, his career will probably be over.

Buddy and Modrak sure did a good job evaluating with Maybin.

Now you know why Buddy decided to use 2010 as a big pre-season audition, since he can't evaluate talent on film at his age

Buddy and Modrak sure did a good job evaluating with Maybin.

Now you know why Buddy decided to use 2010 as a big pre-season audition, since he can't evaluate talent on film at his age

Buddy wasn't behind the Maybin pick, Jauron was. Actually, Maybin is everything that Buddy has said he doesn't look for in talent. One year wonder guy, small and speedy. He likes big physical guys on the line of scrimmage.

I agree with you on Modrak though....that guy needs to go.

Buddy wasn't behind the Maybin pick, Jauron was. Actually, Maybin is everything that Buddy has said he doesn't look for in talent. One year wonder guy, small and speedy. He likes big physical guys on the line of scrimmage.

I agree with you on Modrak though....that guy needs to go.

so the Director of College Scouting and the National Scout had nothing to do with the 1st pick

It was all Dick's fault

Sorry - not buying the Bills spin on all of the bad picks

Can I say I told you so yet, or do I have to wait another year. :rolleyes:

he was a bust on draft day and anyone with a clue could see it from a mile away.

He should be cut and every FO personell who didnt disagree with his selection profoundly should help him carry his gear, as they should be let go too.

Edited by Thoner7

I understand that he is not in there on run downs, and last week any downs but 2. But the fact that he cannot get in on special teams is beyond me....

With the Bills allowing 200+ yards rushing as a formality every game, how could Maybin make it any worse?

Ya gotta feel for Gailey. Nix and Wilson are probably riding him to see if he can get the kid fixed, considering he was a 1st rounder. Lots of money and face involved here. One has to wonder who made the call to draft him. Wilson was right in his statement that he bears a lot of responsibility. If he can stay out the draft discussions, we might get this thing fixed, but it looks like he is already tipping the team's hand on what they want. Frankly I'd prefer drafting a LB, OT, or WR before a QB. You can sign a reasonably good journeyman QB for year or two until you build the lines and defense. We are scoring points. We just can't stop anyone. Oh where have you gone Mr Cottrell?

Disagree. Gailey will rightfully get a pass on Maybin, because I'm betting that both Nix and Wilson know that he sucks. FWIW, I've gotta hand it to Pro Football Weekly. In July 09, they had a quote in either Audibles or Whispers from "someone close to the Bills" (or something like that) who said that based upon minicamp, Maybin was NOT the guy they thought they had drafted, and that they were extremely worried about him. Turns out he was right. Whoever it was for the Bills who spoke to PFW (Nix? Modrak? Neither wanted to draft him), they accurately predicted that Maybin is not a starting-caliber NFL player. Whether he's a $5 million per year special teams maven, time will tell.

Edited by dave mcbride