Everyone got what they wanted in trading Lynch...

Booger

I think you underestimate the time Freddy has left in the tank. I say that Freddy will be good until he's 35. That's FIVE years left playing at a high level. Do you have any clue how long that is??? That means we don't have to draft another running back until 2014. Think hard about that.

We have a great duo now between Jackson and Spiller! I'll miss Lynch, but this move had to be made.

for a future 4th round pick......AND now need to draft a RB....

Good thing we kept the 30 year old JACKSON who will do NOTHING for the Bills once they are competitive again.....

WOW

Everybody keeps bringing up Freddie's age. It's mostly millage, not age, that is the cause of the RBs short shelf life. Freddie doesn't have that much millage - less than Lynch actually. I'm not going to argue that age has nothing to do with it but I'd guess that Jackson only has a a year or so less productive years than Lynch - and he's a much more productive player averaging a half yard more than Lynch per carry over their careers.

Good thing we kept the 30 year old JACKSON who will do NOTHING for the Bills once they are competitive again.....

WOW

Freddy has barley played in the nfl. I know he is old for a running back, but his body does not shows it.

I think you underestimate the time Freddy has left in the tank. I say that Freddy will be good until he's 35. That's FIVE years left playing at a high level. Do you have any clue how long that is??? That means we don't have to draft another running back until 2014. Think hard about that.

We have a great duo now between Jackson and Spiller! I'll miss Lynch, but this move had to be made.

I think you Overestimate it. 30 is 30 the body wears no matter what, whether you are playing football or not. Plus Jackson is a small back at small backs dont last that long in this league anymore.

FYI we turned a number 1 into a 4th rounder. . .

I think you Overestimate it. 30 is 30 the body wears no matter what, whether you are playing football or not. Plus Jackson is a small back at small backs dont last that long in this league anymore.

I'm not completely happy with what we got for him (depending on the conditional pick). And I'll miss his style of play and personality out on the field. But this is great for him, and it's good for us. We've got 2 quality running backs that we can use more of now. And Marshawn gets to move out west where a team can use him and his talents. And he gets to play with a close friend, so I'm happy for him.

Remember, our high 3rd rounder and one of our 4th rounders could easily become another 2nd round pick this year. (If we have the balls to make a trade).

WOW

Since Fred will be 70 when the Bills get competitive its irrelevent

Plus Jackson is a small back at small backs dont last that long in this league anymore.

Jackson is listed at 6'1" 215 lbs, as opposed to Marshawn at 5'11" 215 lbs. The difference is pretty negligible, but Freddie is definitely not considered a small back.

Kevin Faulk with New England is 34 and and averages between 4-5 yards per carry and 40+ catches. Every year.

Feddie is the best blitz pick back we have and if he splits the carrys, 34-35 is not out of the question.

Just saying.

Everybody keeps bringing up Freddie's age. It's mostly millage, not age, that is the cause of the RBs short shelf life. Freddie doesn't have that much millage - less than Lynch actually. I'm not going to argue that age has nothing to do with it but I'd guess that Jackson only has a a year or so less productive years than Lynch - and he's a much more productive player averaging a half yard more than Lynch per carry over their careers.

I dunno about that. Even when Fred wasn't in the NFL, he was still playing professional tackle football. I agree that mileage is what counts, but saying Freddie has low mileage is like not counting miles driven on dirt roads.

Do you buy a car and sell it a few years later for the same as you paid for despite the higher mileage and assorted other issues? Than why is a football player any different?

Edited by zonabb

WOW

They don't need to draft a RB unless they see one they want. Jax is a good player. Spiller is the future. RB's are not hard to find. RB's

with Spiller's explosion are hard to find. I wish they could have gotten more for him, but that wasn't going to be the case. People act

like Nix turned down a great deal for the Seattle deal. If he took the Seattle deal it was the best one he could get. They took

what they could and moved on. No reason to whine about this. They are rebuilding. Draft picks are gold. Lynch might not be the last

player to move. I'm sorry to see him go, but it is what is.

Without upgrades to the line, Jackson has no chance to play at a VERY HIGH LEVEL until he is 35.

The only positive I take from the trade is that the Bills would not have been able to re-sign Lynch once his rookie contract expired and we would have lost him 2 seasons from now.

Edited by ganesh

With running backs, it isn't about how many hits they take, it's about the body's natural degeneration in terms of explosiveness and elusiveness. The reason why young running backs come in and make big splashes (Johnson, AP, etc.) is because their bodies are primed for the quick-twitch style movements that make them successful.

Jackson is great and all, but there is a reason why 30 is a death knell for NFL running backs. And it isn't because of mileage. It's because they stop being able to elude tacklers.

Lynch was just whatever, but I think we'd have been situated better with a rookie and 24-year old running back, rather than a 30-year old back in the twilight of his career alongside a situational-type 10 carry back in Spiller.

No. RB miles are measured in downs and hits. Freddie is low mileage and that will mater as he ages. I don't think he will be good for five years, but we certainly can sit with Freddie/Spiller for now and fill in with UDFA and late picks.

And FYI we turned a #1 into three years of high mileage from a position that averages about five good years, plus two picks. Not my ideal fantasy trade, but I think a good move in the Bills' long term interest.

This is one !@#$ed up team! This trade is garbage, what will we get in return from a 4th round pick. All the reason this bottom feeder ass team is headin for 0-16.

Call it whatever or however you want but the Jason Peters situation was bull **** Eric Woods is startin to look bad in the trenches, and not saying Peters look any better but I would take him over what we have now.. They cut Meredith and brought in another afterthought player in his place this franchise is pathetic.. And so was this trade, to another 10years of misery and pure pain.!

With running backs, it isn't about how many hits they take, it's about the body's natural degeneration in terms of explosiveness and elusiveness. The reason why young running backs come in and make big splashes (Johnson, AP, etc.) is because their bodies are primed for the quick-twitch style movements that make them successful.

Jackson is great and all, but there is a reason why 30 is a death knell for NFL running backs. And it isn't because of mileage. It's because they stop being able to elude tacklers.

Lynch was just whatever, but I think we'd have been situated better with a rookie and 24-year old running back, rather than a 30-year old back in the twilight of his career alongside a situational-type 10 carry back in Spiller.

Fred Taylor is almost 35

Ricky Williams is 33

Sammy Morris is 33

Thomas Jones is 32

LT is 31

Chester Taylor is 31

Ronnie Brown is 29

Clinton Portis is 29

Willis McGahee is 29

There are plenty of older guys still playing out there. Freddy will help this team out for 4-5 more years. Even if he helped us for 2-3, that is a LONG time in the NFL. Remember, Freddy was an undrafted guy. We can find more RB's when the time comes. But we're good for a long time.

Yet Marshawn is averaging less yards per carry (4.4 per carry / 37 carries) than Freddy (5.0 / 20 carries)...

Of course, Fitz's average of almost 10 yards per carry blows them both away!

I think everyone's forgetting that Jackson is generally a better RB than Lynch.

I've said this a million times - Jackson runs downhill, hits the holes hard, and focuses on forward movement (i.e., gaining yards). He'll fall forward and pick up an extra yard instead of dancing, juking, and wasting time by running sideways to TRY and pick up and extra 5. He can also catch the ball just as well as Lynch does. They've lined him up in the slot (and even wide sometimes) and acts as a 4th WR.

They don't need 3 RBs. It was the luxury they had once Spiller was drafted.

Fred Taylor is almost 35

Ricky Williams is 33

Sammy Morris is 33

Thomas Jones is 32

LT is 31

Chester Taylor is 31

Ronnie Brown is 29

Clinton Portis is 29

Willis McGahee is 29

There are plenty of older guys still playing out there. Freddy will help this team out for 4-5 more years. Even if he helped us for 2-3, that is a LONG time in the NFL. Remember, Freddy was an undrafted guy. We can find more RB's when the time comes. But we're good for a long time.

Wait, are you agreeing with me or arguing against me? Providing a laundry list of washed up running backs sort of confirms the whole 30=gack situation that people in the NFL recognize.

Yeah, well a 30 plus back just ate our lunch for 130 yards. Jackson hasn't had much milage. He'll be fine for a few years. Marshawn was a timebomb. We turned a walking suspension-in-waiting into a few picks. Time to move on.

I dunno about that. Even when Fred wasn't in the NFL, he was still playing professional tackle football. I agree that mileage is what counts, but saying Freddie has low mileage is like not counting miles driven on dirt roads.

+1. Just checked wiki. He ran for almost 1,800 yards in 2005 in another league. Miles are miles no matter where they happen.

I think everyone's forgetting that Jackson is generally a better RB than Lynch.

I've said this a million times - Jackson runs downhill, hits the holes hard, and focuses on forward movement (i.e., gaining yards). He'll fall forward and pick up an extra yard instead of dancing, juking, and wasting time by running sideways to TRY and pick up and extra 5. He can also catch the ball just as well as Lynch does. They've lined him up in the slot (and even wide sometimes) and acts as a 4th WR.

They don't need 3 RBs. It was the luxury they had once Spiller was drafted.

People don't care about that though. They just want to say, "we got a 4th round pick for a 1st rounder" as if trading the more productive player because he was a undrafted would have been better. I guess they could spin that as, "hey, what a shrewd move by the front office, we parlayed an undrafted player into a 5th round pick!" Production be damned.

Jackson is hands down the better RB, if one of the backs had to go (and they did) I'm glad it's Lynch, I don't care when he was drafted.

People are overlooking the obvious here, the mistake was drafting Spiller with the #9 pick last year. This move just helps alleviate that mistake a little bit. It doesn't erase it but it makes it a bit better, there is absolutely no need to keep 3 solid running backs on the roster.

Wait, are you agreeing with me or arguing against me? Providing a laundry list of washed up running backs sort of confirms the whole 30=gack situation that people in the NFL recognize.

Most of those on that list are still pretty productive so i would guess he's arguing against you

Do you buy a car and sell it a few years later for the same as you paid for despite the higher mileage and assorted other issues? Than why is a football player any different?

That's true, but you also don't sell a 100K 2007 Ferrari with low miles for 5K and the chance to pick up a 2011 Hyundai either.

That's true, but you also don't sell a 100K 2007 Ferrari with low miles for 5K and the chance to pick up a 2011 Hyundai either.

True - unfortunately for your analogy though Lynch isn't a 2007 Ferrari. More like a 2007 Ford Taurus. Dependable and does the job but doesn't get anybody excited or win any races. So we traded a 2007 Taurus for the ability to pick up another, newer model, Taurus next year.

All of those guys are still providing complementary roles on their team, and that is all Freddy needs to do. We've committed big money to Spiller, and he's the go to guy.

Here's the headline everybody seems to be missing, " Bills waste another 1st round pick!"

This is an admission that the Bills have no idea what they are doing. Anyone who thinks this deal represents progress is sadly mistaken. This is an admission of total organizational failure and that is nothing to be proud about.

The Bills are indeed a national joke and they earned the reputation through horrible ownership and management!

Here's the headline everybody seems to be missing, " Bills waste another 1st round pick!"

Exactly. The problem people are having is misplaced. They keep saying, "we only got a 4th for a former 1st round pick." They should be pissed off that the Bills organization keeps wasting 1st round picks on RBs. They should have never taken McGahee, never taken Lynch and never taken Spiller. What would the Bills backfield look like next week if they hadn't made these picks?

Fred Jackson would be the starter - just like he's going to be anyway. In addition the Bills would have 3 other players they took in the 1st round (granted, they likely would have blown those picks in other ways had they not drafted RBs, but nonetheless...)

This is just another straw in the hat of mental retardation of this franchise. Marshawn runs harder than anyone has on this team in a long time. If he only gained 2 yds it still took half the defense to bring him down. Typical move by this sorry excuse of an NFL franchise, giving up on players way too soon without giving them enough a fair shot. Jackson got dinged in the pre-season so it probably won't be long before he is useless. Great move guys. I hope Marshawn tears it up in Seattle and shows how much talent was going to waste here in Buffalo. And we get a future 4th rounder? What an absolute joke!