Who would you start at RT?

You have to believe we are going to see a change at RT some time soon. Even Nix made fun of Green in his interview. The sad thing is Wang is really more of a LT. He is still a few weeks away from playing. Meredith is only 304, Wang is 301. Howard id the biggest at 314 but least experienced. Urbik is a possibility but does not know our system. I don't think there is anyone we can just pick up. I am thinking Meredith is the least worst option. What do you guts think.

You have to believe we are going to see a change at RT some time soon. Even Nix made fun of Green in his interview. The sad thing is Wang is really more of a LT. He is still a few weeks away from playing. Meredith is only 304, Wang is 301. Howard id the biggest at 314 but least experienced. Urbik is a possibility but does not know our system. I don't think there is anyone we can just pick up. I am thinking Meredith is the least worst option. What do you guts think.

Sadly, I don't think we have a firm answer on the roster.

- Urbik played both G and T in college so he is a possibility but we don't know. Plus he is new to the team and hasn't gone through training camp. So it will be a while before he can contribute assuming he is better than Green.

- As you stated, we don't know about Howard

We may have to live with this situation and plan on sliding extra protection on the right side and on blitz packages, tie up another person (RB) for blitz pickup. Sad as it sounds, we may not have any option. Also, we can only hope that even with max protect schemes, Trent makes better decisions and chucks the ball beyond the marker.

Didn't Levitre also play some RT last year (or was it LT or both?)? Not sure but that thought should probably be in the mix as well. Then possibly put Urbik in as guard. I think finding a guard is easier than finding a RT.

Edited by qwksilver

If you credit Nixley with football intelligence,as I do, then you have to think they've already graded out their current linemen and believe they have the best players on the roster starting in the right slots. That's no doubt why Green is starting over Meredith, and why neither Levitre nor Wood are likely to be moved this year, if ever. Urbik is an intriquing pickup. I think it's more about depth at the guard positions than anything else but you have to wonder, even if he's not ideal for the position, if he might not be an upgrade over Green and Meredith at RT.

Ten months ago, who would have thought we'd be more worried about RT than LT? Crazy game.

Wang probably isn't powerful enough for RT, Urbik for all we know could be worse in pass protection than Green, which leaves Merideth. While not super powerful like a prototypical RT, I suppose it's time to see if Merideth can be a full time starter. Sink or swim Jamon.

I would start TE at RT just to get him out of the QB spot. He would be out for the season after the first play and part of our problem would be solved.

There are no options other than Green to start at RT on the current roster. I am sure they have some emergency plan if Green is hurt. However there are no other prototypical RT's on the roster. I would not put Meredith or Wang at RT. With any luck Bell continues to do well at LT(Ithink he played decent last week) and Wnag serves as back-up the next few years. This season is a lost cause and nearly everyone except Nix and Gailey have given up on Trent. The sole purpose of the next 15 games in my opinion is to determine whether it is OL, QB, or LB taken in the first round of the draft next year.

Wang probably isn't powerful enough for RT, Urbik for all we know could be worse in pass protection than Green, which leaves Merideth. While not super powerful like a prototypical RT, I suppose it's time to see if Merideth can be a full time starter. Sink or swim Jamon.

Urbik played a lot of tackle in college but he was drafted to be a guard. He might actually be great as a tackle. Don't think I'm qualified to make that call though.

You have to believe we are going to see a change at RT some time soon.....What do you guts think.

That's a funny misspelling...my gut thinks my obvious solution will never happen! But my obvious solution is that Andy Levitre go back to RT where he played most if not all of his college career (or left tackle, I don't remember) in college, and Levitre gets replaced by one of the young back up guards for the rest of this season.

If you credit Nixley with football intelligence,as I do....

I can't credit Nixley with football intelligence, because I don't know who Nixley is. As for Buddy Nix, I am questioning his reasoning for ignoring the OL and QB positions since the day he walked in as the new GM last January.

Peters and Langston wasn't bad at all. Add a better center in the mix plus Levitre and Wood and we have a pretty decent line.. And I have nothing against hangman but he's a real backup at best.. But with the current roster someone already stated Green might just be our best option how sad is that..

Edited by Laroc1015

There are no options other than Green to start at RT on the current roster. I am sure they have some emergency plan if Green is hurt. However there are no other prototypical RT's on the roster. I would not put Meredith or Wang at RT. With any luck Bell continues to do well at LT(Ithink he played decent last week) and Wnag serves as back-up the next few years. This season is a lost cause and nearly everyone except Nix and Gailey have given up on Trent. The sole purpose of the next 15 games in my opinion is to determine whether it is OL, QB, or LB taken in the first round of the draft next year.

Good answer. Gailey and Nix watch these guys play football for a living. After watching them every day, they decided Green is their best option. I don't see how we geniuses know any better. When Wang/Urbik/Meredith become a better option, I assume they will play.

Anybody that thinks Meredith is any better then Green obviously didn't watch him getting destroyed the couple plays he replaced Bell against Miami.

Anybody that thinks Meredith is any better then Green obviously didn't watch him getting destroyed the couple plays he replaced Bell against Miami.

I am glad I was not the only person that saw that. Meredith was getting handled out there and people want him to start NO WAY he was getting blown off the line so bad it was scary to watch.

My guess is that until Bell can prove that he can play a whole game without needing to be relieved, nothing will change. If they put Meredith on the right side, who comes in for Bell? Not to mention, I don't think Meredith is an upgrade over Green either. I think the ebst chance is either Urbik or Howard showing something in practice - enough to get them a chance. I don't think Wang will see the active roster this year at all. He's going to watch and learn.