*Sigh* I come to the board and find negative posts about

Steely Dan

142 members have voted

1. 1. The game against the Dolphins today...

• Makes me think the Bills will be very bad this year.
    • Gives me hope that with a few corrections they can be competitive.
    • Other - Explain Please.

So the doom and gloomers come out in full force due to a five point loss. Evidently to some people there was nothing positive about this game to go on.

Despite this being a loss there is a lot the Buffalo Bills can take away from this game. They were in this game up until the last minute. The running game couldn't get going but TE had a few nice passes during the game. Leodis McKelvin is a player. Roscoe Parrish is a weapon teams can no longer ignore. The Bills seemed to be in better condition in the fourth quarter than the Dolphins.

On defense Poz and Bryan Scott recorded sacks and the D didn't allow a single 100 yard rusher. Although it doesn't show up on the stat sheet Aaron Maybin had a decent game. It's my belief that this team will improve over the season. There might be a setback or two but they will be playing a lot better in sixteen weeks than they did today.

On the bad side it seemed TE went back to checking down too much. The running game didn't amass over 50 yards total. The Dolphins didn't seem too concerned with TE beating them and stacked the line. TE was unable to make them pay for that enough. The O-line didn't help him much today either. Hopefully they will improve quickly. The defense needs a lot of practice. They are the unit that I think will most improve over the season. I will say they weren't as bad as I expected them to be today. If a defense can hold an opponent under 17 points then the team should be able to win, IMO.

I agree with what you are saying. I have been a Bills fan now over 40 years and proud to say that. I could probaly say a lot of negative things about the team but I just don't see the point in it. This isn't the worse team I've seen there were some god awful teams in the 70's and mid 80's and I supported them then and will continue to do so now. I think the Bills have the nucleus of good team they just need a few more players on both sides of the ball and they will be fine. The Dolphins game is now water under the bridge and it's time to move on to Green Bay. GO BILLS! :thumbsup:

Edited by shadowcat10

The DOLPHINS did not play well and still beat them. That's pathetic. There were 2 plays that 80% of the time are intercepted and returned for TDs. the Bills were lucky to only lose by 5.

AND don't forget the ball Henne under threw to Marshall by about 8 yards which would have been a TD and then the fact that Marshall dropped it and otherwise would have been a big gain.

If we're going to play that game, we might as well also mention that the scoreboard most likely would have looked different if the refs hadn't mysteriously ignored the PI on that bomb to Evans.

So the doom and gloomers come out in full force due to a five point loss. Evidently to some people there was nothing positive about this game to go on.

Despite this being a loss there is a lot the Buffalo Bills can take away from this game. They were in this game up until the last minute. The running game couldn't get going but TE had a few nice passes during the game. Leodis McKelvin is a player. Roscoe Parrish is a weapon teams can no longer ignore. The Bills seemed to be in better condition in the fourth quarter than the Dolphins.

On defense Poz and Bryan Scott recorded sacks and the D didn't allow a single 100 yard rusher. Although it doesn't show up on the stat sheet Aaron Maybin had a decent game. It's my belief that this team will improve over the season. There might be a setback or two but they will be playing a lot better in sixteen weeks than they did today.

On the bad side it seemed TE went back to checking down too much. The running game didn't amass over 50 yards total. The Dolphins didn't seem too concerned with TE beating them and stacked the line. TE was unable to make them pay for that enough. The O-line didn't help him much today either. Hopefully they will improve quickly. The defense needs a lot of practice. They are the unit that I think will most improve over the season. I will say they weren't as bad as I expected them to be today. If a defense can hold an opponent under 17 points then the team should be able to win, IMO.

Great post! The defense & special teams looked better yesterday. But, the offense has got to rebound from this. I'm hoping that since this was the first week of the Mike Nolan defense in Miami, that Gailey & co will be better prepared next time for them next time.

If we're going to play that game, we might as well also mention that the scoreboard most likely would have looked different if the refs hadn't mysteriously ignored the PI on that bomb to Evans.

I created a thread about that, but I got bashed because of it.

i was disappointed with the play calling. being at the game you miss some stuff, but other things are evident and it appeared many times that WR's routes simply went nowhere... poor protection led to TE not finding people at the right time perhaps, or his own ineptitude, but it really seemed there were not a lot of easy completions to be had more than 3 yards downfield. not many hooks as someone pointed out, nor outs... i know we were happy chan seemed to put the crossing patterns into the gameplan in preseason, but when you get that much pressure, you have to have other plans and it looked like they did not.

also, the O-line besides Green was still not that good. there was pressure up the middle and from the other tackle spot too much to be called "good". Bell was okay, and should get better. Hangartner and Levitre were average at best.

hard to get encouraged about the offense when they only had 160 yards total offense... that's more than one player or a couple bad play calls.

Well said Richard.

I was sitting with a few of the legendary TBD'ers today and they knew that the line was doing a crap job and that edwards and the rb's were running for their life. FWIW, a lot of the more balanced posters were at the TBD Tailgate today at Hammer's lot

You guys just refuse to get it....why were they running for there lives...because they have 9 guys at the line of scrimmage because they know Edwards won't throw it downfield. Quit blaming the line its the same merry go round. Line is not good and Edwards makes it worse they only have to play the run

There is a big difference between playing competitively and having a team that is playoff caliber. We are a long way off from the latter. We have huge holes at too many positions, including QB, offensive tackle, wide receiver, tight end, linebacker and defensive end. Even if we draft a top QB next year, it may take two or three years after that (assuming he develops and we draft better than we have) before we are challenging for the playoffs.

Please. Yes he had the arm bar on Evans, but it was done in close proximity and in a way to shield it from the official. It happens all the time, and not just to Bills receivers ... but by all good defenders. It was well played, and if I remember correctly Evans did not complain either.

They were in the game for most of it is ok?

Coming close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. This is the NFL, and wins are all that matter. I took see nothing positive in this game or for the near future as long as Trent Edwards is the starting QB and the O-line blocks like revolving doors.

Was he thrown to even once before that TD drive? I don't think he was, but I can't remember for sure. I might feel better about him being a weapon that can no longer be ignored if they actually threw the ball to him a little more.

You sound like the same Bills apologist I've heard for 10 years. If you find a peanut in a turd is that a positive? If your wife only cheated on you once is that progress? If you lost only leg in the accident should you be happy? If we go 1-15 will you say it cold've been worse?

This team has been putrid for 10 years but you will continue to say look at the bright side of thiings. I'll look when there's something to see, until then we are a laughingstock, a joke, misfits, horrible, whatever you want to call it.

When the team has stunk for 10 straight years w/o relief its maddening to hear from people like you who want to paiint a pretty picture with your rose colored glasses. Call a spade a spade...we SUCK!

Absolutely true. Therein lies the problem with this Bills team. First of all, the Dolphins looked like a really bad team, and we held them under 17 points, and we lost. This does not bode well for the Bills. Going into this game I thought this would be our best chance to pull an upset. Really the only positive that can be taken from this game is that instead of only getting 12 or 13 more chances to pull an upset, it now appears we will have a full 15 more chances to make it happen. Guys - all of the analysts from every major news outlet in the country seem to have been onto something when they predicted the Bills are one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league. We look really really bad.

I also thought the Dolphins looked terrible, poor play selection on their part, had they run it exclusively the entire game, they might have worn out our D and scored way more points. I think this was our most winnable game for quite a few weeks.

I felt really bad for our D, to play as tough as they did (allowing only 13 points without any support or field position from the offense) and then go to the sidelines and watch Trent lose yardage and go 3 and out again and again must be demoralizing.

The FEW positives to take out of this game are:

- the D did their part and played their hearts out.

- the offensive line wasn't as bad as I expected.

- special teams coverage units were better than I expected.

The negatives are huge though:

- Trent just doesn't have any confidence and doesn't understand game situations. He will not throw the ball away when a play is busted, will never throw a 50-50 ball and let his receiver make a play and has no sense/feeling of the pressure or how to avoid it when in the pocket. (Save your comments about the O-line play, they are not all-stars but on most plays Trent had more than enough time to make a pass.) He looked hesitant, indecisive and extremely disappointing. Not sure where that one drive of excellence came from, but for me that is too little, too late.

- Poor coaching - I thought this would improve under Gailey, yes they are stacking the line and daring you to pass..I don't care run it anyway! The RB's on our team are too good to ignore in the offensive game plan. Run the ball, run the ball and run it some more, then maybe you can use some playaction and a deep pass to Evans.

I appreciate the positivity. I think there are things to build off of, but overall, the offense is still a horror show. And, we all know that the 5 point loss wasn't indicative of the game. The idea that the Dolphins didn't want to score more points because they had the win "secured" is ridiculous. But, it should be noted that the Dolphins had 2 blatant opportunities for a pick 6 (corners dropped easy interceptions) and Henne under threw Marshall on an easy 40 yard TD. Those things happen in every game, I know. But, the game was bunch closer to being a blow out than the other way around.

As for the defense, I hear you on those positive points. Miami has a strong ground game, and for the most part the Bills were able to handle it. I think that the MLB position is worrisome, especially with Poz out long term. But, the D-Line seems to be doing great. I for one, love the Maybin positivity (just because I hope the kid succeeds), but didn't see all that many positive signs in the game. Still had a tough time getting pressure, and seems to be rushing out of the DE position instead of as a weakside linebacker. But, he definitely can chase down plays and is an athlete who plays fired up.

Just a random thought, but why did the Bills' FO never sign a veteran QB to work behind Edwards? If you look on the sidelines, the person you have often talking to him and pumping him up is Fitzpatrick. Fitz is a smart guy no doubt, but the only thing he has been a veteran of is bad football teams. Why not get a Brunell type of guy as 2nd string QB to help Edwards out? Geez.

cheap shot alert:

i came to the board just now seeing if, as some have alleged, that the Dolphins were still the joke of the AFC East ... :unsure:

jw

OK I'll bite...

But 1st I'll say after yesterday there is little question the Fish are the better Team...Especially considering Trent Edwards is still the starter at QB in Buffalo...

But I'm curious...What exactly did you see out of the Fish that gave you the opinion they are anything better than average?...Henne? The fact that they ran the Ball decently against this Bills Defense? The fact that they did the impossible and confused Edwards? ;) The fact that Miami's Defense looked good stacking the box and daring the Bills to pass while completely taking away the Running Backs?...Something every NFL Team is going to do against The Bills until Edwards proves he can beat it...

I don't know...Miami did not impress me at all yesterday in comparison to the hype they've received...Are they better than the Bills with Edwards at QB? Sure they are, but who is not? The way I see it Miami is clearly behind NE and still a bit behind the Jets in this Division. If the Bills had a decent QB Miami would be the 4th best Team in the Division...

But maybe that's just me... B-)

we have been 'taking away positives' for a decade now. Every team in the NFL can find a way to get positives out of a loss. What does it mean ? If it means we are building towards eventual winning I am all for it. But we keep looking for silver linings but all we get are more black clouds.

The bottom line is that we lost a home opener against a division rival in strikingly similar fashion to last year's losses. It's kind of difficult to draw positives from a loss like that. A loss is a loss is a loss. There are no moral victories. The fact that a few positives can be pulled out here & there in no way negates the awful performance yesterday.

My last girlfriend had taken the handcuffs and whips with her when she left. So I watched the game over again. With the exception of Green who was horrible, the rest of the line did not play terrible. The Dolphins played the run and dared Trent Edwards to beat them, and he failed miserably! For the most part he had NFL acceptable time to throw passes, he could not or would not make a quick decision, held the ball too long and gave the appearance that he did not have enough time. In other words, he was terrible.

I disagree with anyone who says either line played even decently. That O-line got absolutely NO push in the running game, got beat for sacks and held to negate anything that did go right. I saw Wood get blown up. Hangartner can hold his point, but that's not his job. He did nothing to open any holes. The defensive line was slightly better, but still ineffective.

Trent Edwards. I can't believe he'll be the starter much longer if he plays like that.

I'll make it easy for you to understand. The team didn't look great today but they didn't look pathetic. I expect they will get a lot better as the year progresses. So to answer the question; They are struggling now but will be a lot better as the year progresses. This is not a doom and gloom game.

Pathetic - from Miriam Webster, line 3..... "pitifully inferior or inadequate."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/pathetic

Using the true definition of the word, you're telling me the Bills offense minus the hurry up TD to Roscoe wasn't pathetic? Trent Edwards wasn't pathetic? The O-line wasn't pathetic?

Maybe I watched a different game or my TV was upside down.

Was he thrown to even once before that TD drive? I don't think he was, but I can't remember for sure. I might feel better about him being a weapon that can no longer be ignored if they actually threw the ball to him a little more.

He had two receptions for 35 yards. Making him the second leading receiver on the team yesterday. The TD pass to him was a thing of beauty and yet the smarter people here :rolleyes: refuse to acknowledge it.

It's one game and if they beat the Packers next week that will be one game too. The board should start selling panty debunchers here. :rolleyes:

did someone in this thread say that the reason the dolphins didn't score a lot was because they didn't need to?

Yep, they did. :rolleyes: The Dolphins, evidently, came into the game with the notion that they would only half heartedly try to score points. :lol:

Pathetic - from Miriam Webster, line 3..... "pitifully inferior or inadequate."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/pathetic

Using the true definition of the word, you're telling me the Bills offense minus the hurry up TD to Roscoe wasn't pathetic? Trent Edwards wasn't pathetic? The O-line wasn't pathetic?

Maybe I watched a different game or my TV was upside down.

BBM

Yeah, take out a great play and ignore it in order to make your point. It was a fourth down play that the Dolphins knew had to be a pass and they failed to stop it. It was a great play, why deny that? They were bad, they weren't pathetic.

Maybin played well? You talking about Aaron MAybin?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

He was so easily tossed around yesterday that he looked like a DB. Just because he once got to the QB as he threw doesn't mean he did a thing. He was AWFUL yesterday.

The entire offense was terrible.

The defensive line was thrown around with ease...for some reason, Miami kept passing it into the Bills strong secondary, which is the only reason the game was close...that and a blown assignment on Parrish's TD.

Good game. Too funny brother. I wish I lived in your world.

He had two receptions for 35 yards. Making him the second leading receiver on the team yesterday. The TD pass to him was a thing of beauty and yet the smarter people here :rolleyes: refuse to acknowledge it.

A thing of beauty? I mean, it was nice, but it was 100% blown coverage (as acknowledged by Edwards), so essentially it was just a huge defensive blunder that handed us a touchdown. I liked it and stuff, don't get me wrong. Edwards could have thrown the ball inaccurately, or Parrish could have dropped it, so those two things are pretty good. But really, it wasn't a thing of beauty.

I have a hard time rating two catches for 35 yards (when one was a blown coverage) as a weapon that truly needs to be accounted for by fearful defenses.

Yeah, take out a great play and ignore it in order to make your point. It was a fourth down play that the Dolphins knew had to be a pass and they failed to stop it. It was a great play, why deny that? They were bad, they weren't pathetic.

Fair enough. Save for that one drive, you have to admit the offense stunk the entire game. The ST & D were both good but the offense was disgusting. I suppose on average that makes the overall team effort just 'bad'

Steely, the Fish dropped three big passes today. Marshall's when he got behind the secondary, and the two pick-sixes. You know I'm one of the most optimistic guys around, but that score could (should) have been ugly. I do give the defense a lot of credit for playing a very good 2nd half. McKelvin was outstanding.

Green Bay will beat the Bills 38-10 next week.