My Camp Report for Tuesday 8/10

It was HOT out and the crowd was bigger than I expected for a Tuesday afternoon. I stood by the players gate and saw quite a few players come in. I actually walked from the road to the players gate with Dante Whitner and no one else around which was kind of cool. I stationed myself at the far end of the field which was the offensive end for individual drills. I caught the interior linemen at first, then the QBs and running backs, then the receivers. I watched the QBs and RBs during the special team portion and then saw 7x7 drills. I left a bit early to beat the crowd and because my camera and cell phone died. Here are my notes for what they are worth:

* Trent looks good. He looked real good. It was hard to say if he was really that good or if the other QBs in camp are just that bad but Trent was clearly heads and shoulders above them. They did a drill where the QB ran a play action rollout and passed on the run. Trent was spot on and had good velocity. Fitz and Brohm looked like they were floating everything. No zip at all. Brown showed some velocity but had a weird, almost side arm throwing motion on these rollout passes. Trent had a nice stretch in 7x7 where he hit Roscoe on a nice throw, David Nelson on a nice throw, hit Lynch, hit D. Nelson again, just overthrew Jackson in the corner endzone then threw a TD pass to D. Nelson.

* Fitz looked terrible. Looked out of it all day and had no velocity on any of his throws. His highlight of the day was a one handed TD catch from Edwards while the special teams practice was going on. I do not see him on the roster if this type of play continues. In the one 7x7 drill I saw him run, he started incomplete, incomplete, bat down at the line, TD to Roscoe on a short out with no one around.

* Wood spent a lot more time snapping the ball than practicing the guard position in individual drills. He also looked the best at doing it. His snaps were spot on and easy to handle and he got out of his stance quickly. Hangartner looked solid but not overly strong or athletic. The others looked terrible. Let's hope we do not see any of them at center. I am assuming it was Gaddis with a few others but I noted #62 as being the worst and can't find that number on the roster.

* Lee and Roscoe were both solid for the receivers. Steve Johnson looked like a pro and the clear #2 guy. Easley was on the field joking with the guys and moving around well but obviously did not practice. Donald Jones made great plays all day and looked like a real sleeper. I noted him as my top WR of the day. Namaan also made some nice catches but did not look as fast or fluid as Jones. Hardy looked terrible for most of practice, then made some nice moves, then dropped a few in 7x7. David Nelson looked to be about the same size as him and looked much better catching, running routes and moving fluidly. On every other play a coach would stop the drill to say something to Hardy or show him how to get off the line correctly or how to run a route. I can see Hardy being cut if this is the norm. Roscoe was all over and Lee was Lee.

* Marshawn dogged it bad through the running back stretching. He barely made an effort and never did what the coaching shouting out the drills was saying. Spiller followed directions to a T and looked enthused. Jackson did as well. Marshawn did go all out in the team drills though and made a few nice catches.

* Playcalling looks more creative from the walk-through portion that they held. Sad that a training camp walkthrough looks more creative that last year's offense.

That's all I was able to remember or note. Hopefully I can get back out to focus on the defense. I have a ton of pictures but can't seem to find a site that will load them all.

thanks, great info - I hope more and more people keep saying Edwards and Johnson look good because it sounds a lot more encouraging from a week ago. It would be nice to be able to focus on the line next off-season knowing that Edwards made a miraculous turnaround. LT, OLB, QB are the 3 biggest holes with QB obviously taking the longest to develop. Wouldn't it be nice to skip that step.....

thanks, great info - I hope more and more people keep saying Edwards and Johnson look good because it sounds a lot more encouraging from a week ago. It would be nice to be able to focus on the line next off-season knowing that Edwards made a miraculous turnaround. LT, OLB, QB are the 3 biggest holes with QB obviously taking the longest to develop. Wouldn't it be nice to skip that step.....

Only problem is if Edwards goes down and the other three look that bad we are really in trouble.

Only problem is if Edwards goes down and the other three look that bad we are really in trouble.

Fitz looked bad. I didn't see much either way on Brohm but he seemed to be floating it a lot. I missed his 7x7 work. Brown looked to have zip and mobility but did not see him in any team drills.

If the LT does'nt perform well Edwards will not be around to see next season. Teams are going to blitz us to death until we prove that we can stop the blitz and complete passes. Teams are going to line up 8 or 9 on the line and try to shut the run down and pressure the qb. Same story for the last 7 or 8 years now. The offensive line is well known as one of worst in the league. They need to protect and burn teams when they try to blitz us. Same goes for the defense. If they cannot pressure qb's and stop the run it will be along season. By the third game of the year we will know what we have.

If the LT does'nt perform well Edwards will not be around to see next season. Teams are going to blitz us to death until we prove that we can stop the blitz and complete passes. Teams are going to line up 8 or 9 on the line and try to shut the run down and pressure the qb. Same story for the last 7 or 8 years now. The offensive line is well known as one of worst in the league. They need to protect and burn teams when they try to blitz us. Same goes for the defense. If they cannot pressure qb's and stop the run it will be along season. By the third game of the year we will know what we have.

I think Gailey will have some sort of plan for this. The receivers worked a lot today on short inside slants. This is something that we haven't seen in a long time. The coaches were right at the line with the players, jamming them and then showing them how to beat the jam and worked with many individually on making the correct inside cut and selling another route. Roscoe may excel at this. He can't beat the jam but is so fast that he can cut right insdie before ever being jammed.

Great Report.. Thanks. I like what I am hearing about Trent lets see how he does this weekend against the redskins.

Imagine if he DOES do well. Won't that scramble a few predictions and outlooks on this forums? I'll tune in for the entertainment!

If Brown and Edwards, who seems to be the best qb, are going to both make the team; play Fitz and Brohm and let them battle it out for the next two weeks. Cut the worst out of the two so that the winner of the competition can get more reps. Why delay the inevitable.

I think they will use the first two preseason games to make that decision. It's really hard to tell how a guy plays from watching him practice.

A couple of weeks ago I figured Fitzy was either going to start, or be gone. But now I think that he might stick around as a known-quantity #2. He's pretty smart and does a decent job of moving in the pocket and isn't afraid to go downfield. But I still think Brohm may have more of an upside. However, unless he sparkles a bit in preseason I think he may be gone.

Does this sparkle with everyone?

I think they will use the first two preseason games to make that decision. It's really hard to tell how a guy plays from watching him practice.

A couple of weeks ago I figured Fitzy was either going to start, or be gone. But now I think that he might stick around as a known-quantity #2. He's pretty smart and does a decent job of moving in the pocket and isn't afraid to go downfield. But I still think Brohm may have more of an upside. However, unless he sparkles a bit in preseason I think he may be gone.

I agreed with three points. It is hard to tell from practice, Brohm has more upside and this won't be decided until after the second preseason game. I would say the depth chart now is Trent-Brohm-Brown but that could swing wildly especially with Fitz, a smart QB, coming in against the second or third thringers in live game situations.

Edwards starts. My gut feeling says Brohm barely beats out Fitz for number 2 and Brown is our number 3. Either Brohm or Fitzy stays. Fitz is smart and plays with balls but we'll see if Chan thinks he's worth keeping around. His service ceiling is probably almost at it's peak. If Chan thinks he can get Brohm above that then well... We have a young team, so i see Gailey going with young qb's with upside. Who knows, Brohm could bomb and Fitz could stick around.

For some reason I think Brown stays as our number 3. Instead of us keeping all 4 and Brown going to practice squad. Just my gut feeling. I have no stats to back it up.

If sparkling means winning, then I'm all for sparkling.

Great report! I completely agree with you on Fitzpatrick. He looks horrible and I would actually be surprised if he isn't cut.

I won't be surprised if he's cut but he strikes me as the type he is more of a gamer. His game isn't pretty but he makes some plays. I would like to see the players in game situations before really evaluating them fully.

Thanks for the inside view. Your report and Mike's correspond. Both of you agree that TE's performances are ascending while the other qbs are more flat line. The preseason is upon us so we should get a better feel for a more realistic test. The caliber of our OL, especially OTs, scares me.

Yes, but that's true for every other team in our division. I think we're actually the deepest team at QB in the East.

My sparkly prediction: Edwards slams his hand into his own knee on his follow thru of his first preseason game pass, and goes on IR for the season.

(Don't care how good Fanning-Fan looks in practice, against his own teammates - guy has absolutely zero toughness and durability. Period.)

My sparkly prediction: Edwards slams his hand into his own knee on his follow thru of his first preseason game pass, and goes on IR for the season.

(Don't care how good Fanning-Fan looks in practice, against his own teammates - guy has absolutely zero toughness and durability. Period.)

You're right--he needs some of that Texas Tech toughness that your boy instilled in all his QBs to prepare them for the NFL.

It was HOT out and the crowd was bigger than I expected for a Tuesday afternoon. I stood by the players gate and saw quite a few players come in. I actually walked from the road to the players gate with Dante Whitner and no one else around which was kind of cool. I stationed myself at the far end of the field which was the offensive end for individual drills. I caught the interior linemen at first, then the QBs and running backs, then the receivers. I watched the QBs and RBs during the special team portion and then saw 7x7 drills. I left a bit early to beat the crowd and because my camera and cell phone died. Here are my notes for what they are worth:

* Trent looks good. He looked real good. It was hard to say if he was really that good or if the other QBs in camp are just that bad but Trent was clearly heads and shoulders above them. They did a drill where the QB ran a play action rollout and passed on the run. Trent was spot on and had good velocity. Fitz and Brohm looked like they were floating everything. No zip at all. Brown showed some velocity but had a weird, almost side arm throwing motion on these rollout passes. Trent had a nice stretch in 7x7 where he hit Roscoe on a nice throw, David Nelson on a nice throw, hit Lynch, hit D. Nelson again, just overthrew Jackson in the corner endzone then threw a TD pass to D. Nelson.

* Fitz looked terrible. Looked out of it all day and had no velocity on any of his throws. His highlight of the day was a one handed TD catch from Edwards while the special teams practice was going on. I do not see him on the roster if this type of play continues. In the one 7x7 drill I saw him run, he started incomplete, incomplete, bat down at the line, TD to Roscoe on a short out with no one around.

* Wood spent a lot more time snapping the ball than practicing the guard position in individual drills. He also looked the best at doing it. His snaps were spot on and easy to handle and he got out of his stance quickly. Hangartner looked solid but not overly strong or athletic. The others looked terrible. Let's hope we do not see any of them at center. I am assuming it was Gaddis with a few others but I noted #62 as being the worst and can't find that number on the roster.

* Lee and Roscoe were both solid for the receivers. Steve Johnson looked like a pro and the clear #2 guy. Easley was on the field joking with the guys and moving around well but obviously did not practice. Donald Jones made great plays all day and looked like a real sleeper. I noted him as my top WR of the day. Namaan also made some nice catches but did not look as fast or fluid as Jones. Hardy looked terrible for most of practice, then made some nice moves, then dropped a few in 7x7. David Nelson looked to be about the same size as him and looked much better catching, running routes and moving fluidly. On every other play a coach would stop the drill to say something to Hardy or show him how to get off the line correctly or how to run a route. I can see Hardy being cut if this is the norm. Roscoe was all over and Lee was Lee.

* Marshawn dogged it bad through the running back stretching. He barely made an effort and never did what the coaching shouting out the drills was saying. Spiller followed directions to a T and looked enthused. Jackson did as well. Marshawn did go all out in the team drills though and made a few nice catches.

* Playcalling looks more creative from the walk-through portion that they held. Sad that a training camp walkthrough looks more creative that last year's offense.

That's all I was able to remember or note. Hopefully I can get back out to focus on the defense. I have a ton of pictures but can't seem to find a site that will load them all.

Great report. Any idea how Antonio Coleman is looking? I heard that he was taking snaps with the second team D.

I like everyone's optimism on Trent but I really have to agree with the Senator on this one. We have seen for the last couple of years that Trent is a very good QB when wearing the RED Jersey. The problem is, when he dresses into the real jerseys and lines up across from a defense that isn't going to pull up on him, he becomes the Cowardly Lion.

He will take a shot, miss a pass and go to the sideline, sit on the end of the bench by himself and sulk. This is where we all can agree that Trent is probably most comfortable. He lacks the toughness and desire (from what we have seen in years past) to be a quality NFL QB.

I really hope things have changed with him because the other 3 options don't bode well for this team at this juncture. Maybe someone sat down with him, or maybe the new coaching staff had a come to Jesus meeting with him about his mental toughness. We don't know yet. We will see starting this Friday night and the following weeks. One thing we can be sure about though, if Trent is the starter against the Fish and he plays with the lack of stones that we all have seen before, he will be booed right off that field and may never take another snap for this team.

You're right--he needs some of that Texas Tech toughness that your boy instilled in all his QBs to prepare them for the NFL.

Completely lost on an imbecile like yourself is that Leach & Texas Tech had the the bottom of the barrel - the dregs that no one else scholarshipped - when it came to recruiting QBs, yet managed to lead the NCAA in passing year after year.

Expect Graham Harrell will get lots of playing time for Green Bay this Saturday against Cleveland, so we should get a good look at how well Leach's best QB might fare in the NFL.

I say let teams blitz us, one or two screen passes to Spiller that go the distance, teams will think twice about unleashing the hounds

Completely lost on an imbecile like yourself is that Leach & Texas Tech had the the bottom of the barrel - the dregs that no one else scholarshipped - when it came to recruiting QBs, yet managed to lead the NCAA in passing year after year.

Expect Graham Harrell will get lots of playing time for Green Bay this Saturday against Cleveland, so we should get a good look at how well Leach's best QB might fare in the NFL.

Yeah---real bottom of the barrel/dregs.

From his bio

Graham Harrell take his high school football career at Ennis High School in Ennis, Texas. Graham Harrell was a Four-star recruit by Rivals.com. Graham Harrell was Gatorade Texas Player of the Year. Graham Harrell was at No. 8 area prospect of Dallas Morning News. Graham Harrell was th eNational Top 100 (Fort Worth Star-Telegram). State Top 100 (Fort Worth Star-Telegram). Graham Harrell was a two-Time Class 4A Offensive Player of the Year (Associated Press). Graham Harrell led Ennis to undefeated regular season and 53.8 points per game. Graham Harrell holds state record for single-season passing touchdowns (54). seven 300-yard passing games in 2003. passed for 573 yards in win over Waxahachie, the third-best single-game total in state history. Graham Harrell threw for 3,411 yards and 46 touchdowns against only six interceptions as a junior. Graham Harrell also rushed for 1,055 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2002. Graham Harrell was an All-America selection (PrepStar). Graham Harrell also recruited by Georgia, N.C. State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Kansas State

By the time he graduated, Harrell set Texas high school records in the following categories:

Single-season passing yards (4,825 in 2003 over 15 games; the next two quarterbacks on the list set their records over 16-game seasons). This record stood until 2007 when Lake Travis quarterback Garrett Gilbert broke it by two yards (though he also did it over a 16-game season).[4]

Career passing yards (12,532 from 2000–2003; Gilbert broke this record in 2008 by compiling 12,534 yards).[5]

Single-season touchdown passes (67 in 2003)

Career touchdown passes (167 from 2000–2003)

Single-season pass completions

More BS form the Senator. Back to your hole.

Yeah---real bottom of the barrel/dregs.

From his bio

More BS form the Senator. Back to your hole.

So when did you become a Graham Harrell fan? :thumbsup:

Like I said, Harrell was Leach's best QB (no big surprise that Leach finally landed a star prospect, after turning the previous scrubs into NCAA-leading passers and sending 5 QBs to the NFL) and I'm looking forward to seeing him play for Green Bay on Saturday, but before Harrell it was Cody Hodges (no scholarships), Sonny Cumbie (a TT walk-on who did get offers from powerhouses Tarleton State and West Texas A&M), B.J. Symons, and Kliff Kingsbury.

BTW, all but Cumbie played in the NFL, as did Leach-coached Tim Couch and Josh Heupel. (I think your original point was that Leach doesn't prepare QBs for the NFL, even though all but one of his QB's made an NFL roster.)

Enjoy the rest of your summer in P-town and Herring Cove Beach. :devil:

So when did you become a Graham Harrell fan? :thumbsup:

Like I said, Harrell was Leach's best QB (no big surprise that Leach finally landed a star prospect, after turning the previous scrubs into NCAA-leading passers and sending 5 QBs to the NFL) and I'm looking forward to seeing him play for Green Bay on Saturday, but before Harrell it was Cody Hodges (no scholarships), Sonny Cumbie (a TT walk-on who did get offers from powerhouses Tarleton State and West Texas A&M), B.J. Symons, and Kliff Kingsbury.

BTW, all but Cumbie played in the NFL, as did Leach-coached Tim Couch and Josh Heupel. (I think your original point was that Leach doesn't prepare QBs for the NFL, even though all but one of his QB's made an NFL roster.)

Enjoy the rest of your summer in P-town and Herring Cove Beach. :devil:

Actually, this is what you said (we were talking about Harrell, you may recall)...

Leach & Texas Tech had the the bottom of the barrel - the dregs that no one else scholarshipped - when it came to recruiting QBs

My point has always been that Leach has NEVER prepared any QB for the NFL---and your list of awful TT bums who breezed through the NFL like unheard flatus proves my point. Couch in particular was a tender (not tough) PED abuser. Nice work.

How many toes do you have left? Better stop shooting.

Actually, this is what you said (we were talking about Harrell, you may recall)...

My point has always been that Leach has NEVER prepared any QB for the NFL---and your list of awful TT bums who breezed through the NFL like unheard flatus proves my point. Couch in particular was a tender (not tough) PED abuser. Nice work.

How many toes do you have left? Better stop shooting.

Actually, WE weren't talking about anything - I made the wise decision to ignore you and all of your idiotic comments long ago.

I simply made a comment about Edwards in response to another poster when, out of nowhere, you decided to try to stir something up with...

I guess that fact that all but one of Leach's QBs made it to the NFL means he didn't prepare them for the NFL, by your convoluted logic. :bag::w00t:

Actually, WE weren't talking about anything - I made the wise decision to ignore you and all of your idiotic comments long ago.

I simply made a comment about Edwards in response to another poster when, out of nowhere, you decided to try to stir something up with...

I guess that fact that all but one of Leach's QBs made it to the NFL means he didn't prepare them for the NFL, by your convoluted logic. :bag::w00t:

That's called irony. Wow.

You should really go back to ignoring my idiotic comments.

That's called irony. Wow.

You should really go back to ignoring my idiotic comments.

I'd like to continue ignoring you but, for some perverse reason, you seem strangely attracted to picking arguments with me.

You really should go back to enjoying the steamy hot summer heat with your buddies at Herring Cove, instead of focusing so much of your attention on what I post.

I say let teams blitz us, one or two screen passes to Spiller that go the distance, teams will think twice about unleashing the hounds

I believe that is the theory behind the statement of some that a back like Spiller makes the O-Line better. Of course, those screen passes have to be successful first for that to happen. :bag: We don't have long to wait now to see how that works out!