more on Schobel

I think the most telling fact is that the Bills did not even explore the possibility of a trade. Obviously he (Nix) wouldn't get much in return, but I think some effort should have been made!

There is no excuse for not exploring a trade.

Trade or no trade, this is 8 million in Ralphs Wilson's pocket. It is a perfect financial coup. The money saved will go to Spiller who will sell a lot more tickets than Schobel, our only pass rusher. Schobel will get his wish; he will play for another team. Ralph will get his wish; he will make a bigger profit.

What happens to us fans is another story in terms of having even a slight chance of winning 5 or 6 games, but we will survive, because we are the best fans of any team in any sport.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mark,

i think the Bills "announced" it a while back, with their plans to turn Kelsay into an OLB as well. Obviously, nothing is set in stone, but IIRC everything out of the new regime has always referred to Schobel as an OLB. not so much a fan conclusion as much as that's what we've been told.

There was no way Schobel, at 243#, was going to be a 3-4 DE. And he's always been a 4-3 DE. The Bills haven't played a 3-4 since Ted Washington was cut, which was prior to the 2001 season, which was Schobel's rookie year.

And getting back to Schobel's salary, the balance of his contract was 4 years for $27.5M, not including that $2M roster bonus due on March 1st. Again no one was going to trade for him for that contract alone, much less the other stuff.

But it will be interesting to see if Schobel reports and forces the Bills' hand. I'm thinking not, but anything is possible.

Five minutes ago they were praising the Bills for this move. So much for consistency. I also believe the Bills have not released him and do not have to until until the final roster cut down day, and ONLY if Schobel officially reports. Right now Schobel is considered "Retired/DNR".

PTR

Ah I see in above posts that some fans are starting to whine about letting go another over the hill, over hyped player taking up too much money. Um I remember such whining with Bledsoe, Milloy, Vincent and many others. None of which came back to haunt us.

Oh and NE wants him GREAT. Just run right at his ass with our RB's and we are guranteed huge gains.

One thing I do not understand is that many posters on this board have assumed since the Bills switched to the 3-4 that Schobel would be an OLB.

What makes all of you come to that conclusion? Ok, Schobel has played in a 4-3 as a pro for most of his career, but the first 2 seasons of his career he played in the Bills 3-4 scheme as a DE.

If Schobel did not think he was going to be playing as a DE for the Bills this year, then I think he would have officially retired a long time ago.

If Schobel returns to the Bills this season, even though those chances look extremely slim now, he will be a DE.

The Texans are interested in Schobel to fill in for Cushing at OLB while he does his drug suspension. Then use him for depth on the DL, situational use like 3rd and long.

The Texans are interested in Schobel to fill in for Cushing at OLB while he does his drug suspension. Then use him for depth on the DL, situational use like 3rd and long.

Link? And if true, pony up the draft pick. But Schobel isn't a 4-3 OLB.

None of those other teams- perhaps with the exception of the Patriots- make any sense.

Schobel, at this point in his career, is motivated by 2 things: family/ health/ fun and winning the Super Bowl.

His family lives in Houston, Bill Kollar would be his coach, and he went to TCU. The first part would be accomplished and he would be having fun again w/his family close by.

The Patriots are intriguing for all of the points mentioned in the article, but ALSO because they would provide the best chance for Schobel to hoist a Lombardi trophy before he fades off into the sunset for good. And Belicheck does like to get former Patriot killers to come play for him, and I have read where the Patriots offensive lineman were breathing a collective sigh of relief of not having to block Schobel anymore if he did not come back in 2010. He was one of the few Bills to give them trouble, and they all respected him and his work ethic. I could see him going to New England, too.

But the Titans, Falcons, etc are ludicrous. He may want to finish strong and make football fun again before retiring, but no other team makes sense besides the Bills, Texans, and possibly the Patriots.

None of those other teams- perhaps with the exception of the Patriots- make any sense.

Schobel, at this point in his career, is motivated by 2 things: family/ health/ fun and winning the Super Bowl.

His family lives in Houston, Bill Kollar would be his coach, and he went to TCU. The first part would be accomplished and he would be having fun again w/his family close by.

The Patriots are intriguing for all of the points mentioned in the article, but ALSO because they would provide the best chance for Schobel to hoist a Lombardi trophy before he fades off into the sunset for good. And Belicheck does like to get former Patriot killers to come play for him, and I have read where the Patriots offensive lineman were breathing a collective sigh of relief of not having to block Schobel anymore if he did not come back in 2010. He was one of the few Bills to give them trouble, and they all respected him and his work ethic. I could see him going to New England, too.

But the Titans, Falcons, etc are ludicrous. He may want to finish strong and make football fun again before retiring, but no other team makes sense besides the Bills, Texans, and possibly the Patriots.

I doubt that Schobel would want to play for the Pats. And they're no longer as attractive as they once were.

Sound like AS has just been waffling. Fully understandable. Thanks for the memories, Aaron. Gool luck.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...66-a412d93ec2f4

GO BILLS!!!

“I’m relieved. I’m happy,” Schobel told Buffalobills.com. “With this happening it feels like they’re ready for me to go on. I think I was more of a headache than a benefit so it’s time. I don’t have any regrets looking back. I really don’t. I enjoyed the fans for the most part and my time in Buffalo.”

So he didn't like some of the fans? WTF! :)

context might help and explain.

Context? He has been playing quite successfully as a defensive end in a 4-3 for a number of years, isn't coming off a significant injury, doesn't want to play a 3-4 and might not want to play for Buffalo. He should be fairly attractive in a trade with any number of teams, including the patsies, houston and tennessee.

According to the article the present FO has started negotiating by stating that he would be difficult to trade.

Usually if you're selling something you kind of play up its value.

I guess this is a new strategy.

Context? He has been playing quite successfully as a defensive end in a 4-3 for a number of years, isn't coming off a significant injury, doesn't want to play a 3-4 and might not want to play for Buffalo. He should be fairly attractive in a trade with any number of teams, including the patsies, houston and tennessee.

According to the article the present FO has started negotiating by stating that he would be difficult to trade.

Usually if you're selling something you kind of play up its value.

I guess this is a new strategy.

OK, I'll play Devil's advocate here. Pats are a 3-4 as are the Texans I believe (if I'm wrong, my apologies). The Titans are a legit 4-3 team. So AS, since he "doesn't want to play a 3-4" would, by definition NOT want to go to either the Pats or Texans. That leaves the Titans but I'm not sure he fits the mold for Fisher's DEs. Again, I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet that a 243lb. DE at age 33 (on 9/1) would not be Fisher's first choice.

But let's assume AS IS wanted by all those teams. How do they make room for his $8m cap number, assuming they don't have the room? He's got 4 years and $27.5m left and he's not sure he wants to play anyways (according to my link above).

Trading is very easy on paper. Not so much in the real world.

GO BILLS!!!

EDIT: tenny, I realize now Houston is still running the 4-3. So that's a possibility I guess. Need to know how they would fit AS's contract, though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...to-other-teams/

Another quality player is allowed to talk his way off of the team, and the Bills get nothing in return. I thought those days were over.

Nix makes it clear on Schobel

By Chris Brown - Posted August 2, 2010 – 10:42 am

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

which means that schobel will either retire or the bills will get something in return via trade - this indicates that there is no other option available for schobel - also either way the 8 million salary the bills will save on will help ease the loss.

“I’m relieved. I’m happy,” Schobel told Buffalobills.com. “With this happening it feels like they’re ready for me to go on. I think I was more of a headache than a benefit so it’s time. I don’t have any regrets looking back. I really don’t. I enjoyed the fans for the most part and my time in Buffalo.”

So he didn't like some of the fans? WTF! :blink:

He must read TBD - I feel the same way :)

So he didn't like some of the fans? WTF! :)

you are surprised by this? just for example after some garbage that hossage has written on this public forum concerning private conversations where he supposedly told him about his misfeelings about the bills - not to mention what he said about schobel's wife - and you think he doesn't like some of the fans??? really?!?!!

"I'm relieved. I'm happy," Schobel told Buffalobills.com. "With this happening it feels like they're ready for me to go on. I think I was more of a headache than a benefit so it's time. I don't have any regrets looking back. I really don't. I enjoyed the fans for the most part and my time in Buffalo."

So he didn't like some of the fans? WTF! :blink:

He can stand in line! :)

you are surprised by this? just for example after some garbage that hossage has written on this public forum concerning private conversations where he supposedly told him about his misfeelings about the bills - not to mention what he said about schobel's wife - and you think he doesn't like some of the fans??? really?!?!!

Especially the ones living next door grilling him with questions. :)

PTR

I'd like one of the "we'd should have traded schobel in March" mouth breathers to answer this:

What team is going to trade anything for a 32 year old guy who isn't sure if he's going to play this upcoming season, and thinks there's a good likelihood he'll retire?