more on Schobel

Ironic you would call PTR out for snarky comments when your first comment is "This organization is a sick joke" without a full understanding of the comments made on both sides...

As for predictions, why make one? Or maybe why stick to one viewpoint, from one article (not surprisingly the one that supports your belief that the organization is "a joke")? Why get your panties all in a bunch? Either Aaron will be released, or traded, or not. We'll all find out over the next few weeks.

Nothing about that makes the Bills a sick joke, it just is what it is. Take time to let scenarios play themselves out before freaking out, it'll make life way less stressful...

Good advice for all. Personally, I have never been less stressed about anything than I am about the Schobel situation, Same goes for Spiller, and most Bills personnel situations (Fatboy Peters being the possible lone exception).

That's what they pay Buddy Nix for, so let him stress. :)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most telling fact is that the Bills did not even explore the possibility of a trade. Obviously he (Nix) wouldn't get much in return, but I think some effort should have been made!

There is no excuse for not exploring a trade.

And you know this how?

PTR

He has NO trade value. What does anyone think a team would give up for a 33 year old (on 9/1) undersized 4-3 DE who has never played 3-4 OLB before, who has missed all off-season and at least a week of training camp, and who until a few days ago was all but retired? For $6M no less? That's right, nothing.

Moreover, given the above, I don't see any team offering him more than $2M for the season. Would that be worth it for him to return?

I love the statement by the Bills organization that "it will be difficult to trade him". That's a good way to start a negotiation. You probably don't want this guy but we really don't want him at all and how about you take him for a draft choice. "Okay Buffalo, we'll take him and you give us a third." Oh...ok.

The guy is a viable starting defensive end in a 4-3. If we were in a 4-3 he'd be a lock at the position. HOW COULD HE BE DIFFICULT TO TRADE?

Why would anyone trade anything for him if he's going to get cut? The only way to get anything for him is to get two teams in a bidding war, and with his salary I would guess not many teams are looking to pay him and give up draft picks. Teams would probably rather take their chances signing him in the open market.

In Heitz's post #4 in this discussion states the Bills will explore trade options and "it is clear the Bills will not outright release him"

If Brown is correct, the Bills do plan on getting something for him and NBC Sports may be speculatiing. Imagine that!

Yeah, the Bills would love to get something for him...

unfortunately when you come out and say you're not going to pay someone, everyone else realizes that they'd be better off waiting you out and signing the player after you cut him.

This was BADLY mishandled. They should have had contact with teams and gauged interest first before making this announcement.

Ironic you would call PTR out for snarky comments when your first comment is "This organization is a sick joke" without a full understanding of the comments made on both sides...

As for predictions, why make one? Or maybe why stick to one viewpoint, from one article (not surprisingly the one that supports your belief that the organization is "a joke")? Why get your panties all in a bunch? Either Aaron will be released, or traded, or not. We'll all find out over the next few weeks.

Nothing about that makes the Bills a sick joke, it just is what it is. Take time to let scenarios play themselves out before freaking out, it'll make life way less stressful...

He'll be released, and they'll get nothing. That's my prediction. And it could've been done differently. If they were not inclined to pay him this year, why not try to trade him before the draft, when his value would've been at its highest? There is a good chance that at least a few 4-3 teams out there would've been interested. And the organization IS a joke. Yet another player plays chicken with the Bills and wins, and this time the Bills get nothing. You think it's a coincidence that Schobel all of a sudden today wants to keep playing football, after the Bills tell him they're "moving on" (whatever the hell that means)? Not a chance - Schobel knew exactly how to get exactly what he wanted, and he got it. Just like Peters.

And IMO all of this begs the question of why the Bills insisted on the 3-4 switch this year, without the players to fit that system. A more cynical mind might suggest that it was party of the "new" front office's longevity scheme - a brand-new defense without the players to run it is a ready made excuse when the team doesn't perform. As is failing to draft a franchise QB, or a LT to protect him...

Did you know that the Bills' ILB coach has never coached in a 3-4 defense? That the Bills' QB coach has never coached professional 4-down football?

I'll repeat: this organization is a sick joke.

Yeah, the Bills would love to get something for him...

unfortunately when you come out and say you're not going to pay someone, everyone else realizes that they'd be better off waiting you out and signing the player after you cut him.

This was BADLY mishandled. They should have had contact with teams and gauged interest first before making this announcement.

Again. Prove they didn't do this already. Not every move gets tweeted.

PTR

And you know this how?

PTR

If they did explore a trade, why did BB.com have to release the clarification about him going on reserve/retired list?

The initial statement was "he won't be a Buffalo Bill in 2010." The response from him (in JW's article) was that he was still interested in playing. So the Bills immediately clarified that he was on reserve/retired and a trade attempt would be made if he decided he was going to play football in 2010.

Good advice for all. Personally, I have never been less stressed about anything than I am about the Schobel situation, Same goes for Spiller, and most Bills personnel situations (Fatboy Peters being the possible lone exception).

That's what they pay Buddy Nix for, so let him stress. :)

Totally - my hair is gray enough worrying about my OWN job :blink:

Don't get me wrong, I'm (overly?) passionate about the Bills - I read all I can, I browse the boards, I post on occasion, but for stuff like this I know that it's going to play out the way it does, so I don't freak out. He's either going to play for the Bills (my preference, for the record) or not (the most likely outcome) - either way, my day rolls on...

If they did explore a trade, why did BB.com have to release the clarification about him going on reserve/retired list?

The initial statement was "he won't be a Buffalo Bill in 2010." The response from him (in JW's article) was that he was still interested in playing. So the Bills immediately clarified that he was on reserve/retired and a trade attempt would be made if he decided he was going to play football in 2010.

Then I guess we better ask John Wawrow what he knows, assuming Nix is telling him everything. Things get said all the time but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. And sorry, Coach T. Your negative rants have no more value than my optimistic ones.

Oh, stop. You prove that they did do it. You know, after a decade of this kind of crap the burden of proof has shifted to the eternal optimists.

And your statement about the last decade only applies if the same coach and GM were in charge. This is Year One as far as I'm concerned.

PTR

why not try to trade him before the draft, when his value would've been at its highest? There is a good chance that at least a few 4-3 teams out there would've been interested. And the organization IS a joke. Yet another player plays chicken with the Bills and wins, and this time the Bills get nothing. You think it's a coincidence that Schobel all of a sudden today wants to keep playing football, after the Bills tell him they're "moving on" (whatever the hell that means)? Not a chance - Schobel knew exactly how to get exactly what he wanted, and he got it. Just like Peters.

Exactly!

This isn't bad-mouthing the Bills. It is not unreasonable as a fan to think your team is not going to end up with worst possible outcome -- outright release once training camp has started!

Absolutely PLAYED.

There are 53 roster spots and five inactives every game. Despite what coaches repeatedly say, every team has guys who are functionally useless and never play. There's no reason he can't be one of those guys.

So you're saying Schobel=McCargo?

Five minutes ago they were praising the Bills for this move. So much for consistency. I also believe the Bills have not released him and do not have to until until the final roster cut down day, and ONLY if Schobel officially reports. Right now Schobel is considered "Retired/DNR".

PTR

no he's not. as the story I just filed notes ... should hopefully on the wire shortly ... Schobel was informed by the Bills that even if he reported at this point, he would be released.

jw

I see it. I am asking you for your prediction, but as usual all you have to offer are snarky comments and blind acceptance of whatever self-serving spin spouts out of OBD's blowhole.

I say no way does he report and get cut.

Options are:

Schobel doesn't report and sits.

Schobel reports and is traded.

Schobel reports and takes a roster spot.

no he's not. as the story I just filed notes ... should hopefully on the wire shortly ... Schobel was informed by the Bills that even if he reported at this point, he would be released.

jw

I cited your story on this thread and others.

Very important point.

The question is: why did BB.com put out the statement, found here, that the team would "explore trade options" after it became clear Schobel was still interested in playing?

If Brown is correct, the Bills do plan on getting something for him and NBC Sports may be speculatiing. Imagine that!

One thing about CB's reports...they may not always be first, but they are ALWAYS right. He is the mouth of the Bills. I'll believe Brown over NBC anyday.

I love the statement by the Bills organization that "it will be difficult to trade him". That's a good way to start a negotiation. You probably don't want this guy but we really don't want him at all and how about you take him for a draft choice. "Okay Buffalo, we'll take him and you give us a third." Oh...ok.

The guy is a viable starting defensive end in a 4-3. If we were in a 4-3 he'd be a lock at the position. HOW COULD HE BE DIFFICULT TO TRADE?

it would be difficult to trade him. no one would want to take on that type of salary, given he maybe, kind or, i don't know, is coolly interested in playing one more year. i don't think the Bills can renegotiate that deal either to trade him as it goes against contract rules.

it would be quite complicated -- if not impossible -- to do so, in fact.

jw

I say no way does he report and get cut.

Options are:

Schobel doesn't report and sits.

Schobel reports and is traded.

Schobel reports and takes a roster spot.

This is totally wrong. The Bills have decided they're not going to pay his 2010 salary and roster bonus. End of story.

There's more than a 90% chance he'll get released. He might not play (slim probability) and he might get traded (probably about a 1-in-10,000 proposition because no one is going to trade for someone priced at $8 million all-in if they can sign him to a better contract once he's released).

I know this may be difficult to comprehend, but the Bills really are so dysfunctional that we've reached this point.