more on Schobel

I find your overall testy demeanor to be rather funny. I don't blame you per se for driving a great poster like AKC off of the board with you incorrect rantings, because this was ultimately his decision.

What I do wonder is what makes you so naive? To answer my own question, it is probably your lack of life experience. You have been busy with school, etc. but at some point, you will surely have a clearer picture in terms of recognizing things that are staring you in the face.

Be well! :):lol:

Your rantings are nothing more than a bitter old man who is stuck in the 80s and still thinks football is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. :lol: And you're literally the only poster that thinks the Spiller selection was a marketing move. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it more correct. He was BPA. If Ralphie was after a marketing move, he would have taken a QB, plain and simple.

As for AKC, the funniest part about that entire snafu was that i actually agreed with his point of view. :) I just had an issue with his statistics.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find amusing is that there's a 257 post thread discussing how cheap Ralph is. And then here you have 100+ posts worried about how much money Schobel will or will not make. I think we need a thread to determine if Buffalo has cheap fans.

Why do we care how much money Schobel will or will not make? IMO, the issue at hand is how can the Bills put the best players on the field, i.e. can they get something, anything for Schobel. It seems that's what Nix is shooting for. Trade him or force him to retire (while retaining his rights); but don't outright release him.

Really like Schobel and wanted him to return. And I get where AS is coming from because football is a grind like no other sport and he probably isn't sure about returning. That said, at some point, you have to make up your mind. And unless a team blew the Bills away with an offer, then let him retire as a Bill. good job Nix.

And Schobel was a really good Bill during a crappy period who never got the respect he should have. I wish him well in retirement.

Great Post :lol: Could have not put it better. Schobel was my favorite Bill sad to see him go but we need to move on...

To those who state that Nix should have traded Schobel when he had value I would like to remind you that Schobel was very clear in his negative to be traded or playing for another team. He said (in an article back in March IIRC) and I quote: I play for the Bills or I retire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...to-other-teams/

Another quality player is allowed to talk his way off of the team, and the Bills get nothing in return. I thought those days were over.

If the Bills do anything other than leave him on the failed to report list and keep the rights to him or trade him for value it just shows you this regime is just more of the samr lame crap that we have been putting up with for years here. Let's see if Nix and the rest of the game have any balls and keep all the cards that they are already holding and not give in to what apparently was what Schobel wanted all along. I have always liked Schobel and thought he was underrated and was hoping he came in until this crap today. If the Bills let everyone who didn't want to play in Buffalo get their way and leave, they might not have enough players to field a team. Go Buddly, show us if you have any nuts or are just another continuation of the spinless garbage we have become accustomed to. Something must have happend or there are a bunch of liars here. Up until this point, Schobel said it was the Bills or retire and Nix was saying just a week or so ago that Schobel is always welcomed back and we aren't going to rush him. Something smells rotten.

What I find amusing is that there's a 257 post thread discussing how cheap Ralph is. And then here you have 100+ posts worried about how much money Schobel will or will not make. I think we need a thread to determine if Buffalo has cheap fans.

Why do we care how much money Schobel will or will not make? IMO, the issue at hand is how can the Bills put the best players on the field, i.e. can they get something, anything for Schobel. It seems that's what Nix is shooting for. Trade him or force him to retire (while retaining his rights); but don't outright release him.

I don't give a crap how much money Ralph is spending, I just want a winning team for a change. I am not directly paying for any of it, and what money I do put into tickets, clothes, souvenirs, etc, is still going to go up every year regardless how much the Bills spend. I too am not sure why a fan would say, don't sign so and so, he wants too much-hell if he helps us win I say sign them. Until the day when I am signing those checks ( and I am not holding my breath), that is the way I feel. Fans of a team that has went longer than any other team in the NFL since making the playoffs and are a perennial laughing stock, should never be happy with more of the same garbage. That is part of being a fan is wanting your team to win, this losing sucks so damn bad.

The team didn't say "report tomorrow or be released." As JW reports, they told him he didn't have the option of reporting!

This spin about Nix being a non-nonsense guy is ridiculous. Someone made the decision that they didn't want to pay the $8 million contract (a reasonable decision) and they moved on. Now there's no way out other than hoping he stays retired, or cutting him if he doesn't.

My argument -- which many people on this board reasonably object to as unreasonable (others not so reasonably) -- is that we should have identified Schobel being released and playing somewhere else in 2010 as a worst case scenario and been more active in the offseason in an effort to move him.

Now we're in the untenable position of pretending he'll be traded when everyone knows that's impossible.

What are you talking about? Schobel had all offseason to make his mind up and Nix, Chan, and the rest of the FO made it clear he was welcomed back and wanted back if he decided to play. They gave him the room to make his mind up and come back to the team. SCHOBEL CHOSE to drag that out and waffle on his decisions. The FO had enough and decided it was time to move on with the guys in camp busting their azz who want to be here.

None of this had anything to do with money otherwise they would have shut the door forever ago and would not have publicly said they wanted him back.

Your rantings are nothing more than a bitter old man who is stuck in the 80s and still thinks football is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. :lol: And you're literally the only poster that thinks the Spiller selection was a marketing move. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it more correct. He was BPA. If Ralphie was after a marketing move, he would have taken a QB, plain and simple.

As for AKC, the funniest part about that entire snafu was that i actually agreed with his point of view. :lol: I just had an issue with his statistics.

Was this about d-line equity, particularly with regard to the Pats and the Giants stockpiling d-linemen from rounds 1-3?

At this point I would piss away the roster spot....

.....and so would I. Let Schobel rot. If he only had kept his mouth shut and his "retirement" talk to himself and simply

asked (privately!) the Bills to trade him. Then the Bills may have had a shot at getting a player or possibly a decent draft

pick (3rd or fourth). Something, yet Aaron killed any chance the Bills had.

Nice way to repay the Bills for making him a millionaire many times over. Bastage!

Was this about d-line equity, particularly with regard to the Pats and the Giants stockpiling d-linemen from rounds 1-3?

Yup. My specific complaint was that the chiefs and rams spent as much "equity" on the DL as those 2 teams yet sucked ass. I also had a problem with the system because if the Bills had selected Ryan Denney at Josh Reed's spot in 2002, they would have been near the top in draft equity. :lol:

If the Bills do anything other than leave him on the failed to report list and keep the rights to him or trade him for value it just shows you this regime is just more of the samr lame crap that we have been putting up with for years here. Let's see if Nix and the rest of the game have any balls and keep all the cards that they are already holding and not give in to what apparently was what Schobel wanted all along. I have always liked Schobel and thought he was underrated and was hoping he came in until this crap today. If the Bills let everyone who didn't want to play in Buffalo get their way and leave, they might not have enough players to field a team. Go Buddly, show us if you have any nuts or are just another continuation of the spinless garbage we have become accustomed to. Something must have happend or there are a bunch of liars here. Up until this point, Schobel said it was the Bills or retire and Nix was saying just a week or so ago that Schobel is always welcomed back and we aren't going to rush him. Something smells rotten.

one problem -- what if he shows up?

IMO AS retires. if he doesn't. we hold the trade cards unless he shows up here. They say they will release him if he does but that isn't written in his contract (I think this could be a bluff, as they don't have to release him if they didn't want to at that point). I think at that point they really would start to look for a trade partner, there will be injuries and such before the season starts, the time is not past IMO. This is playing out that they decided he needed the push to retire and was missing too much camp to satisfy them. They needed to deal with this because of his lackadaisical attitude about coming into camp.

They also have others on the roster who they have to be fair to. This is a management of players issue and I think they are dealing with it as best as they can. It is and has been all up to AS, giving no commitment to him or him giving no commitment is bound to bite some one in the ass at some point. We just reached that point.

I am a little relived myself, someone must be showing something in camp (or maybe he informed them he would miss all of camp or some other thing that we are not privy to). I don't really believe it is all about money, to me that just doesn't make sense. AS is an unknown quantity at this point and didn't have leverage to get what he wanted.

I think he will be done. I think that the Bills know the story more than they are saying and it maybe the best way to deal with it. It is messy because AS made it that way, the FO has been very professional with a long time player and it shouldn't be a messy divorce but if your ex stays living in your house and you are not getting sex, love, promise of a further relationship or anything out of it maybe she leaves or you do, you don't stay together for no reason indefinitely. FO sounds like they just made the choice because AS wasn't 100% committed one way or another.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...to-other-teams/

Another quality player is allowed to talk his way off of the team, and the Bills get nothing in return. I thought those days were over.

You didn't pay attention to the interview with Nix on Buffalobills.com !!! He said they are going to keep Schobel on the did not report list until he makes a decision to retire & if he does want to play they'll trade hm to get something for him !!!

Seems a least a bit different than they use to be , they're trying to get something for him and at least going to make it tough on him to just walk .

If he does walk or retire at least they get to keep the money off of his contract and use it else where , unlike sign the big D J to an extension and then firing him and having to pay him whats left on the contract .

one problem -- what if he shows up?

I read where he said he wasn't going to do that and put the Bills on the spot, but both sides have been telling obvious lies so what would stop him from doing that. He said he is interested in the Texans, but they have enough DEs, so unless they have an injury, they aren't interested in him. He could pull what Favre did in Green Bay, but in this case, the Bills would probably keep him.

Can we finally just admit that Aaron Schobel's BS ruse about retiring was nothing but a selfish attempt to be traded because he didn't want to put in the work to become a 3 - 4 LB and he was tired of the Bills?

He screwed the Bills by threatening to retire and placing unrealistic demands upon them regarding shortened work weeks during the season as well as skipping OTAs and training camp. He screwed the Bills out of potentially trading him to a team and getting something in return because now teams are just waiting for his release. He screwed the Bills out of finding a viable PROVEN replacement for his skills or giving them time to change strategies BEFORE the draft.

This guy is a selfish prick who didn't have the stones to ask for a trade and be judged in the court of public opinion for jumping ship. Instead he orchestrated the situation such that he destroyed any trade value he had leaving the Bills high and dry. He was an up and down but often GREAT player. Unlike the Peters whiners, I won't question his skills and his probowl appearances because I don't like how he handled his business OFF the field. I will even give him credit for not pulling a complete Haynesworth by also taking the bonus money he could have gotten earlier in the year. Still this guy gave us the shaft. He doesn't have gold teeth and dread locks so people will probably give him a pass but he dorked us over pretty good.

Apparently his supposed retirement and wanting to stay in Houston was all BS if he is willing to talk to any team other than the Texans. If that really is the case this guy hid behind his family as the excuse for why he wanted out of Buffalo. What a kitty.