CNN/SI Power Rankings

Gugny

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Right here and now I'm willing to go on record and guarantee that Chan Gailey's feat of having never missed the NFL playoffs as a head coach will end in 2010. Then again, it has been 11 years since Gailey got the opportunity to put that streak on the line.

I just don't get it. Don't really care about these polls ... but I still don't get it.

Go Bills!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Right here and now I'm willing to go on record and guarantee that Chan Gailey's feat of having never missed the NFL playoffs as a head coach will end in 2010. Then again, it has been 11 years since Gailey got the opportunity to put that streak on the line.

I just don't get it. Don't really care about these polls ... but I still don't get it.

Go Bills!

I don't get it either. How is this team not improved from last year? Last year we were decimated by injuries and still competitive. We have lots of new talent from the draft and have better coaches. I realize we are switching up offense and defense. But last year we fired our OC 10 days before the start of the season. And we add Spiller. How are we worse off this year on offense? Our secondary is our strength on defense- they will still be a strength in the 3-4. And we have to be better at stopping the run this year, right? 30th in the league- we can only improve. I don't give a damn what the "experts" forecast. It is comical. Too bad they aren't setting betting lines

I don't get it either. How is this team not improved from last year? Last year we were decimated by injuries and still competitive. We have lots of new talent from the draft and have better coaches. I realize we are switching up offense and defense. But last year we fired our OC 10 days before the start of the season. And we add Spiller. How are we worse off this year on offense? Our secondary is our strength on defense- they will still be a strength in the 3-4. And we have to be better at stopping the run this year, right? 30th in the league- we can only improve. I don't give a damn what the "experts" forecast. It is comical. Too bad they aren't setting betting lines

Agreed. I was just having this debate. You lost TO and gained no one - you cant count rookies outside of Spiller realistically, especially rookie WR.

i agree the secondary is set, but its hard to know how our 4-3 personnel fit into 3-4. Davis is a good pickup, schobel may more than cancel that out.

I think its hard to say this team is better, esp when you have no idea how they will play in the schemes brought in by new staff.

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Go Bills!

Let's put it this way: they are no better than #25 and after that it doesn't make much difference.

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Go Bills!

What a maroon! His rankings are laughable. Most of them are completely off base. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about. I want a job at SI.

I'd actually like to see somebody pick the Bills for dead last, behind the poor old Rams. It's kind of insulting to be thought the next-to-worst team in the league. As if they are even mediocre at being bad.

I think they are far from being the worst team in the league, but nobody will think so until the start winning some games. And if they do, it would be more fun if every expert had picked them for dead last.

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Go Bills!

6-10 and be 31....absurd!

sometimes i get sad that i root for a bottom feeder... even if its #25, #26, or #31 on the list.... why cant we be in the top 5???

sad sometimes. just sad. sad.

What a maroon! His rankings are laughable. Most of them are completely off base. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about. I want a job at SI.

I frequently get called being a moron, especially on this board. I have never been called a maroon, though. :blush:

The team is likely better than last year.

But the teams in our division are likely also better.... and our schedule has gotten much tougher.

We will be a team with one of the worst records in the league, but not because of skill.

Rankings are for number nerds. Although we probably aren't at liberty to defend against such a low rankings anyways seeing as we haven't really done anything the past few years. Let it fuel the fire for the team. No respect is often good, it'll only surprise all the pretentious "sports writers" out there and make them eat crow.

I truly will not be the least surprised if the JESTS don't even make the playoffs. They let their best running back go and replaced him with a washed up injury prone Ladanian. Mark sanchez? I'm not sold on his abilities yet.

Try looking at their defensive and offensive lines and you will quickly know why they are favorites to win the division. Not to mention one of the best secondaries in the league and a defensive scheme/coach that is second to none.

I am not sold on Sanchez either but with their system he doesn't have to be very good. Lt isn't the main RB and he will do fine as a secondary back to Greene.

I would be very surprised if the Jets didn't make the playoffs. Wanna make a bet?

Try looking at their defensive and offensive lines and you will quickly know why they are favorites to win the division. Not to mention one of the best secondaries in the league and a defensive scheme/coach that is second to none.

I am not sold on Sanchez either but with their system he doesn't have to be very good. Lt isn't the main RB and he will do fine as a secondary back to Greene.

I would be very surprised if the Jets didn't make the playoffs. Wanna make a bet?

They were 7-7 and 2 teams had to lie down to let them make the playoffs by teh skin of their teeth. As terrible as we think our QBs were, Sanchez was worst.

The only think guaranteed about preseason polls is that they're guaranteed to be wrong.

They were 7-7 and 2 teams had to lie down to let them make the playoffs by teh skin of their teeth. As terrible as we think our QBs were, Sanchez was worst.

The only think guaranteed about preseason polls is that they're guaranteed to be wrong.

Your right but that doesn't mean they are wrong about the Jets. Lets just say the Jet team and fans have a much much much better chance of going to the playoffs than we do. That's because they are strong on both their defensive and offensive lines. Unlike us....

Other than jettisoning our loser head coach, how do you think we're improved? Just because we added Spiller? What if he ends up getting pasted in the backfield the entire season? What if he can't grasp the offense in his rookie year or just straight up gets injured?

We're still hoping like last year Bell can get it done at LT. Our line hasn't proven anything yet except that there is some talent there. Chances are, we're going to be running basic plays and there'll be lots of mistakes the first half of the year because we have an entire new offensive system and terminology in there. Getting the O-line to gel and work together as a unit takes time, especially considering many of the current projected starters missed significant time due to injury last year.

We're hoping Gailey can put lipstick on a pig and make it work at quarterback. Sure, he has a history of being able to pull it off but I thought McNally could have done the same thing with our O-line. We won't know till we see it happen.

We've switched our defensive system and are now trying to convert our DE's to outside linebackers. Other than Maybin (who has the size and speed to play out there, but can he play at all?), the rest completely scare me. We're also relying on a couple of draft picks to really help solidify our D-line. Stroud sounds about as happy to be converting to a 3-4 as Langston Walker was to be playing left tackle. I'm not confident we'll be any better against the run.

Lastly, we've got an entire new coaching staff who will be turning almost the entire roster over the next couple of years to get "their" people in here.

In my mind I think things are equivalent to last year when you factor in the new offensive and defensive systems.

I hope to hell I'm wrong and they can contend for a playoff spot but can't realistically buy into that thinking. This year is about finding some hope and things looking up, 3-6 wins. I do think the guy in the article is a bit harsh throwing us at #31 but he could easily be right. Go easy on him.

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Go Bills!

The Browns and Chiefs are both "better" than the Bills cuz they hired Holmgren and Pioli respectively. They went out and got big names. That must mean that the teams are suddenly more talented and experienced, right? Sarcasm font off . . .

I'm not pointing fingers, and I don't want to be "that" guy but why do y'all torture yourselves reading these? Any power ranking that starts with the Jests as #1 was written by a crack-addled mind at best. Fuggedaboudit . . .

We know this is a rebuilding year. If Dick Jauron, the Pill and an interim HC could pull 6 wins out of this team last year, I see no reason to believe that competent coaching and conditioning shouldn't be able to do at least the same this year.

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Go Bills!

HE'S SMOKIN CRACK !!!!! :blush:

Agreed with the above poster. Look at the roster and (honestly) compare it to the rest of the AFC. Hell, even the AFC East.

The Bills have arguably the worst offensive line in the division, if not the conference (not having either a starting caliber right or left tackle tends to do that). The interior is fine, but Green is a step down from Walker and Butler. Meredith and Bell are unproven. Either could surprise, but that's asking a lot from two guys who were taken from the scrap heap.

The Bills have a completely untested receiving corps. Evans is underrated -- but besides Lee is there anyone on the roster that has quality experience as a playmaker? Roscoe? ... yeah. That's about it. Sure, Hardy is a 2nd round pick that has oodles of talent but he's still an unknown after losing a year to injury and poor coaching. Steve showed signs the past few seasons, but that was in mop up duty.

The Bills have no franchise QB on the roster. None. You just can't win in today's NFL without one of those. Sure Brian might develop into one, but that's asking a lot. Ditto with Trent. Fitzpatrick is just plain terrible. Either way, unless Trent or Brian take a huge, monumental step forward this year, the Bills are in a lot of trouble at this position.

The Bills are extraordinarily deep at RB. Jackson and Lynch is a great 1-2 combo. Spiller adds some speed and match up problems, but alas, in today's game you need to be able to pass to set up the run. With no OTs on the roster, no QB to keep defenses honest and no playmakers besides Lee at the WR spot teams are going to load up against the run just as they have done the past few years. The Bills should be able to move the ball on the ground between the 20s. But look for another very low scoring output from this offense which is insanely unbalanced.

On defense the Bills have a totally untested front 7. Not only do the Bills STILL have the worst LB corps in the league (sorry, it's true), they are switching schemes and have guys playing out of position, some for the first time in their careers. That's going to create a steep learning curve at best and an utter disaster in year 1 at worst. Seriously, look at the front 7 -- the only way it's going to be successful in '10 is if the Bills get HUGE production from their rookies AND Kelsey, Maybin, Marcus and co. all make the transition to their new positions flawlessly. Again, that's asking a lot.

The Bills' secondary is perhaps the strongest unit on the club besides maybe RB. I think this is a unit that can make plays and will. However, with a shaky front 7, no elite pass rushers to put pressure on opposing QBs, they're going to end up hung out to dry over the course of a game. They're good, maybe even great, but they aren't superheroes.

Now is it possible that the Bills get career performances from one of the QBs, TWO Offensive tackles, two or three unknown WRs, their second round NT, Kelsey, Maybin, Stroud, Poz and Mitchell? Sure. It's possible.

Is it likely? No. But sadly, that's what it's going to take for the Bills to be legit playoff contenders in '10.

Face it. This team is rebuilding. It's year 1 of what seems to be a 3 year plan. From top to bottom this IS one of the least talented rosters in the NFL (at least at the premium positions). And you just can't win without talent.

The Browns and Chiefs are both "better" than the Bills cuz they hired Holmgren and Pioli respectively. They went out and got big names. That must mean that the teams are suddenly more talented and experienced, right? Sarcasm font off . . .

I'm not pointing fingers, and I don't want to be "that" guy but why do y'all torture yourselves reading these? Any power ranking that starts with the Jests as #1 was written by a crack-addled mind at best. Fuggedaboudit . . .

We know this is a rebuilding year. If Dick Jauron, the Pill and an interim HC could pull 6 wins out of this team last year, I see no reason to believe that competent coaching and conditioning shouldn't be able to do at least the same this year.

I hear what your saying and your not the only one saying it. However, that is flawed logic because you have to factor in all the variables. (ie) new schedule, other teams upgrades/changes/injury progress, new systems, coaches, players, etc...

It's not enough to say we have to be better cause Dick boy and the rest of the coaches are gone. More than that....

I as a season ticket holder even, can honestly say Id rather the bills be competitive and go 3-13 than blah again and squeak out 7 wins. Simply because they would have an honest shot at a real QB in next years draft. I will root for the Bills obviously every week, but if they suck, I hope they really suck (record wise) and we get Locker or Mallett than have another 6 or 7 win season, and wind up back at square 1 again.

And while amusing to read, these preseason rankings mean nothing. Google 2009 preseason rankings and see just how off most are. But I do find myself always reading them and being amazed too about the Bills ranking this year. You would almost think we were god awful, which we werent. And we were plagued by injuries and had AVP calling the freakin plays. I dont think its possible we are worse than 30 other teams.

I as a season ticket holder even, can honestly say Id rather the bills be competitive and go 3-13 than blah again and squeak out 7 wins. Simply because they would have an honest shot at a real QB in next years draft. I will root for the Bills obviously every week, but if they suck, I hope they really suck (record wise) and we get Locker or Mallett than have another 6 or 7 win season, and wind up back at square 1 again.

And while amusing to read, these preseason rankings mean nothing. Google 2009 preseason rankings and see just how off most are. But I do find myself always reading them and being amazed too about the Bills ranking this year. You would almost think we were god awful, which we werent. And we were plagued by injuries and had AVP calling the freakin plays. I dont think its possible we are worse than 30 other teams.

Yup.

Grant it, I've never gone into a Bills' season with as little optimism as I have right now. I have a huge sense of dread for this coming season because I subscribe to the belief that you can't win the NFL without a legit, franchise QB. And the Bills just don't have one of those. I'd be more hopeful if they had more talent, then they could still compete and push for a playoff birth even without the QB. But since they have neither the QB nor a decent option at LT, RT, WR, LB and DE ... color me less than cheery.

Factor in the very realistic thought that there will be no football in 2011, and I'm even more depressed. Because it means it'll be that much longer for our team to really turn the corner on this whole rebuilding process.

And that's the key word. Rebuilding. That's what this team is doing. I'm not being a doom and gloomer here, but this team is being rebuilt in Nix and Gailey's image. And that takes time. We shouldn't expect miracles here, but we should reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised.

Still, the absolute worst thing this team can do in 2010 is win 5 to 8 games. Winning 8 games won't get you into the playoffs and winning 5 games won't net you one of the premier talents in this years (seemingly) deep QB class. This team NEEDS a franchise QB in order to be a relevant NFL franchise again, and baring a miracle trade, that just won't happen unless this team gets a top 5 pick. Sure they could hit the lotto with a Tom Brady type gem, but that's more of a crapshoot than a first round QB.

Of course, my whole argument will be null and void if either Trent or Brian step up and prove to be that franchise type QB. But if I'm being honest here, I think there's more of a chance that I'll own the Bills one day ... and I'm broke.