If we beat the Titans, do we win the Superbowl in 2000?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if we get by Tennessee who held no real higher position than us do we get to and beat St. Louis ? Did we have the firepower to make it all the way and change our destiny at that time?

simply put: no. the Rams were the team of destiny that year.

I think we would have beaten the Colts that year (Great D shuts down a young Manning and our O is just good enough) and gone to the AFC title game but who knows if we would have beaten the Jags in the AFC title game AND the Rams hell beating the Colts isn't a sure thing. Either way odds are Buffalo wouldn't have won the SB.

That's a good question... and one I have considered a lot...

Offhand, I do remember the Bills were neck and neck with Jax. and T.B. in top-ranked defensive categories for the 1999 season... Bills lead in some, Jax. and T.B. led in others... I believe the Bills were ranked 2nd in pts. allowed and 1st in yds. allowed... They only allowed 21 TDs total with an average of just over 14 pts. a game... Now who truly knows if we could have gotten to the SB, much less shut down the "Greatest Show On Turf"... But considering that the Titans were ranked right around the middle of the pack defensively that year, I believe the Bills D could have matched up better against the Rams O... Just my opinion...

The real question about that particular postseason is: Did Wade Phillips make the right call in benching Flutie for Johnson? I know the horse has been beaten to a pulp on this one, but something to consider... R.J. was sacked 6 times in that playoff game, a weakness he always seemed to have... Would Flutie have been sacked that much..? Doubtful, considering he was much more elusive.. and that game was as close as it gets... 2-4 less sacks could've made the difference in a game the Bills SHOULD have won anyway... In my opinion, Flutie and that great D would have given us the best chance during that particular postseason... Again, who knows what would have really happened... Just my opinion... :bag:

Not a chance. By the end of the Titans game our O-line was so banged up we had to replace our already poor starters with some dreadful options for blockers. Would have lost to the Colts on the road fo sho.... I think if I'm not mistaken there was one starter left.

i always thought that the best 2 teams in the AFC played tht day. I think the Rams take the SB regardless

Despite the records, I'd have to agree with you. Two good teams with good defenses.

The defense is what carried the Bills that season. I won't try to start the Flutie-Johnson debate, but who knows what would've happened against the Colts with RJ at QB.

So, if we get by Tennessee who held no real higher position than us do we get to and beat St. Louis ? Did we have the firepower to make it all the way and change our destiny at that time?

:thumbsup: Now that's an interesting point to bring up!

When you think back to that post season, the Titans used the "Music City Miraculous Forward Lateral" to propel themselves all the way to the SB, and......came within 1 or 2 yards of tying the game in regulation and forcing OT against the Rams in one of the best SB games ever. The Buffalo Bills had that game won on the road in Nashville with Rob Johnson leading the team to a go ahead field goal drive. I'll never forget the terrific play Johnson made running out of the pocket, losing one of his shoes, and still throwing a strike down the field for a first down during that last drive. And then, we all know what happened after that..... :bag:

Great point though. Anybody makes a tackle out of field goal range and the Bills would have gone on the following week to Jacksonville filled with confidence, and Rob Johnson himself may have gained the confidence to actually become a good NFL starting QB for the rest of the playoffs. Yes, with that defense and running game, that Buffalo Bills 1999-200 team could very well have upset the Rams and won the SB, in my opinion. <_<

No, must admit the Rams were probably too good that year.

Oh, and we did beat the Titans. We just couldn't beat the referees that day. It's tough when the NFL lines your team up against two different opponents in the same game.

No, must admit the Rams were probably too good that year.

Oh, and we did beat the Titans. We just couldn't beat the referees that day. It's tough when the NFL lines your team up against two different opponents in the same game.

i agree, the game was decided by an illegal forward pass, case closed! i think the bills were capable of beating Jax, but would have lost to the rams in the super bowl. the rams had it all working that year.

Going into the game, the Bills and Titans were the two hottest AFC teams in the league. I remembered thinking, "it's a shame we have to play each other the very first wildcard game." As others have said, we would have had a better than good chance of making the Superbowl, but we would've fell to the Rams. We had a number of injuries on the OL that would've been too tough to overcome with RJ at QB..

The forward lateral was karma for Beebe taking three steps out of bounds and coming back in to catch a Frank Reich TD pass (should've been a 15 yard penalty) in the greatest game ever in the '93 playoffs. The Titans were the old Houston Oilers before they were relocated to Tennessee.

I always felt that we could have beat anybody that year, especially with Flutie at QB. The guy was a winner, and could have led us to the promise land. I know there are many that, for whatever reason, dislike Flutie, but in my opinion, he could have delivered the Lombardi Trophy for us that year.

I always felt that we could have beat anybody that year, especially with Flutie at QB. The guy was a winner, and could have led us to the promise land. I know there are many that, for whatever reason, dislike Flutie, but in my opinion, he could have delivered the Lombardi Trophy for us that year.

I am so tired of all the Flutie worship. Flutie played like crap the second half of that season. The Bills offense under him was struggling to score. That's why Johnson was put in for Flutie in the last game of the season (against the Colts), a game in which he TORE THEM APART.

I don't want to get into the Flutie/Johnson thing again. But I really can't stand the Flutie mythology. Flutie was a good player, made some amazing plays, but the decision to bench him was not based on nothing. The defense was carrying the team in the second half of the season, not Flutie and the sputtering offense.

No. Rob Johnson would have imploded somewhere along the way. With Flutie given the nod...maybe.

PS: this just reminded me how much meddling Ralph does. He forced Wade to start Johnson after Flutie won all the games and got them to the playoffs.

I am so tired of all the Flutie worship. Flutie played like crap the second half of that season. The Bills offense under him was struggling to score. That's why Johnson was put in for Flutie in the last game of the season (against the Colts), a game in which he TORE THEM APART.

I don't want to get into the Flutie/Johnson thing again. But I really can't stand the Flutie mythology. Flutie was a good player, made some amazing plays, but the decision to bench him was not based on nothing. The defense was carrying the team in the second half of the season, not Flutie and the sputtering offense.

Yeah, I hate former pro bowl QBs & comeback players of the year that went 21-9 as a starter for the Bills. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlutDo00.htm He was killing this team! Especially after all the success the franchise has had after they got rid of that "cancer."

The Curse of Flutie.

On the NFL network's special, the Top 10 QB controversies, even Wade Phillips said "In hindsight, Doug would have won us the game." People forget that Rob Johnson played lousy for 58 minutes of the game vs the Titans and only played good on the final drive.

I look at Flutie as a better, smaller version of Trent Dilfer. And I also see similarities between the 2000 Ravens that won the superbowl and the 1999 Bills. Both the Bills & Ravens had great defenses which carried the team, but both had serviceable QB's that did enough to get the job done. Whether you win the game by 1 point or 50 points, the result is still the same.