Yet other music thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Gabriel - his Growing Up live tour

from the same tour

Saw him in Toronto in the Air Canada Centre. This was the same weekend as the famous Bills/Miami Snow Bowl game. Went to the game on Sunday, hung out in the parking lots after for about two hours waiting for traffic to clear with the Lot 1 Pole 5 gang. Taking two hours to drive up to the Canadian side of NF because of the snow and road conditions. Went up to Toronto Monday morning to do some sight seeing. Since I got up there in the morning, I got to park in the ACC parking lot right next to it. Concert monday night. Drove back to my hotel after. Quick Falls tour on Tuesday morning, then home.

The Misfits at the Opera House in Toronto, 1996. It was their "East Coast Comeback Tour" and the venue was perfect. I was a junior in highschool and made a road trip with a group of friends. We got there really early and hung out with the band. Some of the other guys got their pictures taken with the band, and they ended up in a few punk magazines.

It was just the perfect mix of youth and freedom. It's virtually impossible to recapture that feeling as an adult. I'm not saying I can't have a great time, but it's never going to match those years. Anyway, we never went to sleep that night and ended up hanging around the venue and band most of the night.

from the same tour

Saw him in Toronto in the Air Canada Centre. This was the same weekend as the famous Bills/Miami Snow Bowl game. Went to the game on Sunday, hung out in the parking lots after for about two hours waiting for traffic to clear with the Lot 1 Pole 5 gang. Taking two hours to drive up to the Canadian side of NF because of the snow and road conditions. Went up to Toronto Monday morning to do some sight seeing. Since I got up there in the morning, I got to park in the ACC parking lot right next to it. Concert monday night. Drove back to my hotel after. Quick Falls tour on Tuesday morning, then home.

Peter Gabriel "3" and "So" tour. Also, Steely Dan in Buffalo and Neil Young in Rochester. I had second row center seats for NY.

Dispatch: Zimbabwe show at Madison Square Garden in '07. The band disassembled in 2002 but came back together for a charity show for Zimbabwe in '07. They sold out three straight nights (Friday-Sunday) and I was at the Sunday show. It was such a fun experience, they played for over 3 hours and were so full of energy. It was awesome.

Watching Phish play on New Years in the Everglades for the Millennium.

They went on stage at 11pm and proceeded to play for 9 hours straight. They had porto-poddies on stage and played everything from Clapton to Ella Fitzgerald to Pink Floyd. It was quite an amazing show and I am not that much of a Phish-head, but wanted to check out how they would ring in the new year.

Must have been late 1978. Bob Seger in The Aud. Got hooked up with 10th row or so seats by a guy (Saul) that used to sell concert tickets from a small booth in Eastern Hills Mall. Did just enough acid to make it a memorable experience.

I saw Milli Vanilli in 1991. I was just a kid, and it was still dumb.

:devil: I saw them too. I wasn't a kid tho,I just happened to be at the county fair the night they were playing. Best concert I've seen was Santana and Los Lobos in Sacramento in the mid '80s.

from the same tour

:devil:

Another tough one...been to so many... for me, gotta be Ray Charles at the Blue Note in 1991. Sat at a table next to Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood...got to meet them, and Ray afterwards. I have seen Ray a few times, but this performance was otherworldly. Great atmosphere, great audience (not like Melody Fair or the Erie County Fairgrounds where I had seen him before)... one of the true greats.

Close second would be the Clash, with Black Uhuru, and Yelloman, at the CNE (Canada) in 1982...the Clash were promoting "Combat Rock" at the time, and doing massive stadium shows, sometimes opening for the Who on their "farewell" tour ( :devil: ), and other times, headlining their own shows. This was one of their shows...got right front, dead center stage...so close, my buddy Jim was trying to tie Joe Strummers shoelaces together while he was singing "Straight To Hell"....Strummer realized it, and kicked him in the head...no injury...just a lot of laughs, and a great memory. At the end, everyone rushed the stage, the band went along with it...people were ripping pieces of the "combat rock" mesh that was draped all over the stage...good times!

Must have been late 1978. Bob Seger in The Aud. Got hooked up with 10th row or so seats by a guy (Saul) that used to sell concert tickets from a small booth in Eastern Hills Mall. Did just enough acid to make it a memorable experience.

I was there - Sept '78, The Cars were the openers. I think we were in the 1st row of the Reds, right near the stage. I remember the crowd didn't treat The Cars too well. Seger was huge at the time and he put on a great show, I think. :thumbsup:

There was a local band here in Rochester called Muler who put on a show in March of 1999 that is still talked about in hushed tones amongst my friends. Just an insane, beautiful, perfect show. It was essentially a drunken riot with guitars...maybe 10 people in the crowd. Got to love a band that will bring that kind of action to even just a handful of chumps.

The Cramps in Feb 1998 in Buffalo was a facemelter. Bomboras were opening back when they were doing that whole day-glo skeleton thing

Guided By Voices...any of the many times I saw GBV were perfect.

Rocket From The Tombs in Cleveland 2003. RFTT were this band that played a bit in the early 70s, but never recorded an album. They were famous for half the band taking half the songs and forming Pere Ubu with them. The other half took the other half and became the Dead Boys. First Pere Ubu and Dead Boys albums are mainly Rocket From The Tombs songs. Was like being kicked in the head.

Honorable mention:

Royla Trux, The Frogs, US Maple, Arab On Radar. Chavez, Mannequin Men, Spider Bags, Marah, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Oddly I don't think I have ever seen a good arena show or a good hip hop show.

I was there - Sept '78, The Cars were the openers. I think we were in the 1st row of the Reds, right near the stage. I remember the crowd didn't treat The Cars too well. Seger was huge at the time and he put on a great show, I think. :thumbsup:

Ha..yeah that was it! I remember The Cars were pretty stoic and didn't fit the rock n roll atmosphere at all. Also remember my buddies trying to buy a Happy Meal at McD's before the show and having to leave because they were laughing so hard. Those were the days.....glad my kids didn't know us back then.

So far as blues are concerned, Lil Ed and the Blues Imperials. He played a tiny club and we got to talk to the band before and after.

Big Daddy Kane was my favorite concert.

My favorite was the Tragically Hip whom I saw at the Roseland Theater in Portand , Oregon. I think that was 97. A smallish venue with maybe a 500 person capacity. I also saw them last summer at the Filmore and they were just as good. My other favorite music show is the Warped Tour. Have seen lots of great bands(and lots of mediocre to bad bands as well) there but usually the sets are 45 mins long so can't really qualify as a concert I guess. Sometimes it seems like the bands are just getting warmed up and they have to get off.

I think one of the best Warped events I have been to had Rancid, Anti Flag, Bad Religion, Yellowcard, Less Than Jake. Fantastic show about 4 years ago in SF

Peter Gabriel "3" and "So" tour. Also, Steely Dan in Buffalo and Neil Young in Rochester. I had second row center seats for NY.

I would have loved to see Neil Young .... mello concert as compared to some but IMO great music.

December 1974 Genesis "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" tour at the Auditorium in Rochester.

April 1979 Dire Straits "Dire Straits" tour at the Roxy (500 seats, and I was in the 5th row center) in San Diego.

July 1979 Grateful Dead "Shakedown Street" tour at Hollender Stadium in Rochester.

May 1981 Stanley Clarke...in a pub in San Juan Capistrano, CA. A pub. 50 people. "School Days" as he walked right down our table. Had to grab the beers to keep him from kicking them over as he marched right over our head jamming like no one on this board has the vision to imagine. Un. Fuggin'. Believable.

And, yes, it was me who was corrected by DC Tom. But I was not corrected. And I will never, ever, sit down, and shut up, until Tom can prove he's read more Max Hastings than I have.