Yet other music thread

Allman Brothers Rochester War Memorial mid-late 70's - obvious reasons

Lynyrd Skynyrd Buffalo Aud. late 70's - Reason? Ronnie Van Zant smacking a guy under the chin with the bottom of the mic stand when the guy jumped up to try and take his hat. You don't !@#$ with Ronnie's hat. Pretty damn good show too, helps to smuggle a four foot bong in with you.

Further - New Years Eve 2009 Bill Graham Auditorium SF - Three sets, five and a half hours of Dead music.

moe. Any show, they just kick ass live.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

War tour? I was there, insane show.. I was up in the balcony, it was shaking so hard I thought it was gonna come down. Two days later I saw Roxy in Cleveland (Avalon tour, all-time clearest sound for a concert) with Huey Lewis opening ("and remember, you just heard the News!" :thumbsup:)

I was there too and I was under the balcony. That thing had to be moving 18 inches up and down. I really thought it was gonna come down on us.

I was there too and I was under the balcony. That thing had to be moving 18 inches up and down. I really thought it was gonna come down on us.

I guess that's just Sheas. I saw Charlie Daniels there many years ago and was in the balcony and thought it was going to come down.

Jean Luc Ponty in the latter part of the 1970's (I'm thinking 1977). Daryl Stuermer on guitar and funky Ralphe Armstrong on bass. What a fabulous band and an absolutely mind blowing performance. No dancing, no shtick...just freakin' music. It really changed what I look for in a live performance.

Oh man....I almost forgot about Jean Luc. Never saw him live, but used to have a bunch of his work. Stephane Grappelli too and an album with them both, since I'm apparently on a violin run.

Oh man....I almost forgot about Jean Luc. Never saw him live, but used to have a bunch of his work. Stephane Grappelli too and an album with them both, since I'm apparently on a violin run.

I've actually seen both Ponty and Grappelli a couple of times (but not together...had the album, though).

While very different in concert, both were excellent. I took my mother to see Grappelli one time. I thought she might like the music. She complained about the price of the tickets (I even lied and told her they were about 1/2 of the real cost) and parking. But she new most of the songs and was humming and singing to herself. I don't think she could have handled a Ponty concert. At least not the concerts he put on back in the day, before he became a minimalist/keyboard player/world music aficionado/etc.

Still, based on this relatively recent performance, I'd say he still sounds pretty damn good:

The biggest difference is the quality of the supporting players. They are very good now, they were fantastic back in da day.

Bruce, December of 1975 at Kleinhans Music Hall. Obviously a great place to see him. Had great seats right up front. Just after the craziness hit with the Time and Newsweek articles. Nobody really knew much about him then and he played like a madman. It was near Christmas (like the 17th) and in one of the several encores, Clarence came out dressed as Santa and they obviously played "Santa Claus is coming to town" before they ever played that on the radio. After about the third encore, he came out and the band's arms were kind of hanging at their sides and they looked like they couldn't play anymore. The lights were already on but people wouldn't leave, so he sat at the piano and played 2-3 songs by himself. It was awesome.

I've actually seen both Ponty and Grappelli a couple of times (but not together...had the album, though).

While very different in concert, both were excellent. I took my mother to see Grappelli one time. I thought she might like the music. She complained about the price of the tickets (I even lied and told her they were about 1/2 of the real cost) and parking. But she new most of the songs and was humming and singing to herself. I don't think she could have handled a Ponty concert. At least not the concerts he put on back in the day, before he became a minimalist/keyboard player/world music aficionado/etc.

Still, based on this relatively recent performance, I'd say he still sounds pretty damn good:

youtube.com/watch?v=p9XHFqCvMIY

The biggest difference is the quality of the supporting players. They are very good now, they were fantastic back in da day.

Yep. I was just searching through YouTube for Jean Luc and then splintered off to King Crimson and ELP. Can't believe Greg Lake was chanking on gum while singing. HTH did he do that?

Needless to say, Stephane was more of a traditionalist, but an amazing violinist...just wonderful.

Ah...back in the day...Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Billy Cobham, Flora Purim, Larry Coryell, Fripp.....

I just found out that Widespread Panic is playing down the street from my on October 1st. Have never seen them live. Seen live videos and they sound pretty damn good.

Anyone here seen them live? Was it great? Best band name, IMO (along with "Tragically Hip").

Also, and this is a longer shot. A band called Soulgrass Rebellion is coming to a local bar later in the month. I wasn't thrilled with what I heard/saw on youtube, but there wasn't much and the quality of the vids was generally poor. There is something there that seems interesting. They have also recorded and played with some interesting and talented players. Anyone know their stuff? Seen em live?

I just found out that Widespread Panic is playing down the street from my on October 1st. Have never seen them live. Seen live videos and they sound pretty damn good.

Anyone here seen them live? Was it great? Best band name, IMO (along with "Tragically Hip").

Also, and this is a longer shot. A band called Soulgrass Rebellion is coming to a local bar later in the month. I wasn't thrilled with what I heard/saw on youtube, but there wasn't much and the quality of the vids was generally poor. There is something there that seems interesting. They have also recorded and played with some interesting and talented players. Anyone know their stuff? Seen em live?

I've got tickets to see them (Widespread Panic that is)Oct 16th at the Fox Theater in Oakland. I have never seen them before so I'll let you know. The Fox is a beautiful place, they did a great job restoring it. Saw the Allman Bros. there last year.

Edited by Chef Jim

I've got tickets to see them (Widespread Panic that is)Oct 16th at the Fox Theater in Oakland. I have never seen them before so I'll let you know. The Fox is a beautiful place, they did a great job restoring it. Saw the Allman Bros. there last year.

Since they are here on October 1st, I may be letting you know first.

I am gonna say SRV Longbranch Park Liverpool, great frigging show...then after that Robert Randolph, Glen Allen VA...way too many to name a clear cut favorite, but those are 2 memorable ones....

I only saw Randolph once in Philly opening for Clapton, but I thought he blew EC off the stage.

he is unreal live....the whole band is just so into the music and it transcends into the audience

Yeah, just loaded with energy. OTOH EC was competent (with an all-star band including Derek Trucks) but slick & going thru the motions, I thought the difference was startling.

oh man...derek trucks...they were probably told to go through the motions so as to not outshine Slow Hand...I love Trucks, and love it more when his wife(Susan Tedeschi) is with him.

Yeah, just loaded with energy. OTOH EC was competent (with an all-star band including Derek Trucks) but slick & going thru the motions, I thought the difference was startling.

oh man...derek trucks...they were probably told to go through the motions so as to not outshine Slow Hand...I love Trucks, and love it more when his wife(Susan Tedeschi) is with him.

Actually EC gave Trucks and DB III plenty of solos, the show just didn't seem very spontaneous. I also love Trucks and Susan.

Rocket from the Crypt second to last show in NYC. 2003? Also an honorable mention to the Night Marchers, saw them earlier this summer.

Shellac - last week in Brooklyn. Those guys are nuts, and sound amazing.

Wilco and the Flaming Lips - New Years Eve at Madison Square Garden. 2004?

Wilco in Montclair NJ this spring. They played for a long, long time, and did an awesome cover of "Broken Arrow".

Going to see Superchunk this weekend, hope it's as good as previous shows.