Yet other music thread

Some bands just don't cut it live[including my beloved rolling stones] but God I wish I could have seen the Allman Brothers live

I love the the way Greg fires up a hack before the set. Those where the days.

Vegas Stones (1989 - present) may not cut it live (or that matter in the studio), but Rolling Stones (1964-1982) were phenomenal live, particularly during the Mick Taylor years.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Gabriel - his Growing Up live tour

from the same tour

Saw him in Toronto in the Air Canada Centre. This was the same weekend as the famous Bills/Miami Snow Bowl game. Went to the game on Sunday, hung out in the parking lots after for about two hours waiting for traffic to clear with the Lot 1 Pole 5 gang. Taking two hours to drive up to the Canadian side of NF because of the snow and road conditions. Went up to Toronto Monday morning to do some sight seeing. Since I got up there in the morning, I got to park in the ACC parking lot right next to it. Concert monday night. Drove back to my hotel after. Quick Falls tour on Tuesday morning, then home.

peter gabriel, canton agricultural and technical college 1979- about 1000 in attendence. talking heads, st lawrence univ 1979, about 300 there.

I was there - Sept '78, The Cars were the openers. I think we were in the 1st row of the Reds, right near the stage. I remember the crowd didn't treat The Cars too well. Seger was huge at the time and he put on a great show, I think. :thumbsup:

I didn't see much of The Cars that night, but I heard they were bad. Seger was so awesome that night. I remember the line in the Courier the next morning about him being a heavyweight fighter and opening with his best punch - Rock and Roll Never Forgets............This was one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen, and I've seen many. Seger was my biggest hero at the time, and I remember I kept thinking, I have to write my first fan letter and tell him how much this meant to me........I've still never written a fan letter!

Vegas Stones (1989 - present) may not cut it live (or that matter in the studio), but Rolling Stones (1964-1982) were phenomenal live, particularly during the Mick Taylor years.

I thought they were horrible at the stadium on the Fourth of July, 1978, but were incredible in 81. I've liked the other three times I saw them since, too.

Seriously, how the eff does this get to the 2nd page without the Boss being mentioned. Nobody is better......

Dream Theater at Town Ball Room was Amazing last night in Buffalo. Anyone who hasnt seen them will leave happy. I brought a non fan with me and they couldnt believe how awesome it was.

I thought they were horrible at the stadium on the Fourth of July, 1978, but were incredible in 81. I've liked the other three times I saw them since, too.

Seriously, how the eff does this get to the 2nd page without the Boss being mentioned. Nobody is better......

I only saw the Boss once, but I was literally in the last row of the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. It was neat seeing him and everything....but kind of hard to get super excited about the singing dot half a mile away

Oh yeah, my most memorable was Sex Pistols at the Borgata in Atlantic City, summer 2003, with the Dropkick Murphys opening. I was at the RH front of the stage in front of Steve Jones (and Johnny of course), just on the outside of this massive, violent mosh pit. Once the Pistols came out, it just got insane, never thought I'd make it out of there alive, good times!

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Buffalo 81, particularly seeing Journey booed off the stage & forced to shorten their set.

"People, we love you, but you're gonna have to settle down" - Steve Perry

" :thumbsup: you, ass :thumbsup: " - Violent Crowd :nana:

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Buffalo 81, particularly seeing Journey booed off the stage & forced to shorten their set.

" :thumbsup: you, ass :thumbsup: " - Violent Crowd :nana:

OMG, I wasn't even thinking about that!......George Thorogood rocks the rain away during his set.........Then on comes one of my most hated bands, and I loved that it was the only time I've actually seen a band booed off stage. Was that what Steve Perry said?!? Friggin hilarious!!

I only saw the Boss once, but I was literally in the last row of the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. It was neat seeing him and everything....but kind of hard to get super excited about the singing dot half a mile away

If you saw him anytime in the last 11 years there, I was there, too. Last year was so much fun, but probably the best was in '02 because we got in the pit and were parked right in front of the Big Man!

If you saw him anytime in the last 11 years there, I was there, too. Last year was so much fun, but probably the best was in '02 because we got in the pit and were parked right in front of the Big Man!

It was either fall of 1999 or spring of 2000. I can narrow it down based only on remembering my then-girlfriend's apartment. I do remember it being the first tour of the reunited E Street Band. I also remember my friends and I could not even get tickets next to each other which killed the fun that much more.

arena shows...I just don't get it.

I saw Bruce in 1976. I was very excited to go, as I absolutely LOVED The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Born to Run was the new album, and I really didn't care that much for it...but I was still looking forward to the concert.

It was OK. Not particularly memorable. Actually I was a bit disappointed, given all the stuff I heard about his show. It wasn't terrible, though. The stuff I see him doing in his TV concerts these days is an embarrassment.

As for Clarence (The Big Man) Clemons, he was fun when I saw him with Bruce. He SUCKED, and sucked hard when I saw him playing with his own band. Man he really is a horrible sax player...at least he was that night.

I really can't think of my absolute favorite concert, there are too many. Here are a few highlights off the top of my head:

A great all-day concert at SUNY Albany in 1976 (I think). Among the highlights were the sensational mandolin playing of Frank Wakefield, the violin of Vassar Clements and a brilliant

life-changing guitar performance by Roy Buchanan.

Around the same time I saw The Outlaws (a new band at the time) in a very small ballroom, set up for the concert. They were great. But what made it really special was awesome performance (and the ear-splitting volume) of Les Dudek. I saw Les about a year ago and he actually is an even better guitar player now. But that first exposure to his music can never be matched. I hope to see Les again next week in Orlando.

Jean Luc Ponty in the latter part of the 1970's (I'm thinking 1977). Daryl Stuermer on guitar and funky Ralphe Armstrong on bass. What a fabulous band and an absolutely mind blowing performance. No dancing, no shtick...just freakin' music. It really changed what I look for in a live performance.

The David Grisman Quartet (or was it quintet?) at the Tralfamadore (downtown) in Buffalo. I was already a HUGE fan of Dawg music, but seeing if live for the first time was really something special. The mushrooms didn't hurt, either.

I'm tired and so I am sure to be forgetting many. I can say some of my concert highlights are: The Band, Climax Blues Band, Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard (he fired his drummer on stage), Dave Mason, Blue Oyster Cult (very early in their career), Golden Earring and Focus together, Santana, Van Morrison, Steely Dan (of course), Oscar Peterson and Tower of Power.

EDIT: I should note that I saw Journey absolutely blow the place away in concert. Just fantastic. This was. of course, before Steve Perry. They were a new off-shoot (in a way) of Santana and they were fantastic. Years later I had the displeasure of seeing them with Perry and they sucked. And I forgot to mention Zappa. How could I forget to mention Zappa?

" :censored: you, ass :censored: " - Violent Crowd :thumbsup:

I have seen the Stones 12 times, at least once, on every tour they have done since 1978. As great as the 1981 show was (I was there, camped out the night before, after seeing the Dead, amongst the first 50 or so in line, got right down in front of Keef), I think the 1989 tour was the first tour where the Stones took more of a "give the people what they want" approach to their live shows. As much as their studio output sucked after "Tattoo You" in 1981, I think their live shows improved tremendously. I love the sloppy rag-tag, rough and tumble sound, but, if you go back and listen, they just played everything fast, to the point where all the songs ran into eachother. For a band with such an awesome catalog of material, it is kind of nice to hear them take a bit more pride in the way they presented their stuff. I can live without the 5 back up singers, and the mile high stage, with rotating parts, but they did sound real good...if you get a chance to check out that last DVD they put out, from the "Bigger Bang" tour, check out the show they did in Austin. I was there, and they were amazing....

I've thought of a few more:

Iggy Pop playing this dirt race track in Syracuse. It was this stupid all day festival in 1997 featuring nonsense like Sponge and Bloodhound Gang. We he hit the stage the dirt track was a mud track. Totally disgusting. So he has the few leftovers of crowd just hang out on stage while he played. Being 19 or 20 and being like 5 feet away from Iggy during a heavy on Raw Power (cd had just been reissued, I remember) set? Totally amazing.

For pure rock fury I once saw new Bomb Turks/ Zen Guerilla/Supersuckers/Hellacopters all play together. lead singer of the new Bomb Turks gave me a concussion by banging a tambourine against the side of my head. Later that night I got a ticket from playing Alice Cooper records too loud outside my house. Good times.

Anyone who has had the opportunity to see Neurosis knows I don't need to say a word about how amazing they are live

The first time I saw Unsane I thought I may die. Scary at the time, but once I got home safely pretty exciting.

Same goes for Murder City Devils.

I skipped my college graduation in order to see the Melvins w/ Folk Implosion. Arguably the only good decision I've made.

Johnny Cash at the Highland Bowl in 1995. The most shirtless gig I have ever been to. not in a good way.

Any of those real early Drive By Truckers gigs. Nothing like seeing a now famous band in front of 12 people.

I once saw a Pogues cover band called Boys From County Hell who were actually better than the Pogues. probably because they could stand and talk at the same time,

By my estimation I have seen roughly 2500-3000 bands in my life. I could go on for many many pages