Jonathan Scott To Start For Steelers

H2o

Problem is... we've all bought into the new regime each and every time for a decade now. There's been plenty of optimism. Sold out stadiums, even. However, the team and each new regime has stomped that optimism into the ground. So, now we get yet another new group of guys and we're supposed to all automatically get optimistic again?

I said it with his hire, the problem with Gailey is he gets almost no grace period. I guarantee you if a well known, repsected, proven HC had been hired AND made the exact same personnel moves; this place would be brimming with optimism. But, Gaily is not that guy. He has to earn that optimism, from me and alot of other fans. And he does that by winning football games.

So, until I see an 8 in the win column, excuse me if I can't help but be less than impressed.

So, are you suggesting that by Oct 10th, we'll be 1 and 4? And if we are, if we have a losing record with more of the lame excuses about execution, while our O-line is being man handled and Trent is checking down when he's not getting pancacked, while our defensive live is a seive, and Morman is once again our best player; should we be all rosy and optimistic... still?

Can you really blame some people for their pessimism when this team has consistently fielded such a poor team? When they have a chance to make moves to turn the team around and they stick with the status quo - QB, Oline? Can you really blame some of us for not being all giddy about having KC's fired OC as our new HC? Maybe it all turns out great. But, maybe it doesn't. Maybe by Oct. 10 we'll know.

Your not supposed to ask such questions.

This is a great post for all the "stop whining" nonsense out there.

I would add the following: if, after we have waited the prerequisite 2 seasons, and the Bills have a record no better than when DJ was coach, what should be our response?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't even ignorance.

And welcome back, and glad you're doing well.

On that note, recovering from a health scare also requires POSITIVE thinking. If someone doesn't believe they will get better, then odds are they won't and vice-versa. So, on that note, let's rally around the Bills and at least give the new staff a chance to screw up a game call before tossing them under the bus.

On top of that, the Steelers line has been horrendous for the last two seasons both in run blocking and pass protection.

They did well to draft Maurkice Pouncey this year but with the loss of Colon, I envision difficulties again for their O-line.

With Roethlisberger's issues, I think the Steelers will struggle. On top of all that, they are aging on the D-line (Hampton, Keisel), have lost Santonio Holmes, and are thin behind Mendenhall.

Great linebackers though. But I don't see Pittsburgh as a top power this year. I think they're dropping into a little valley right now.

But they're a great organization and you would expect them to re-gear.

their pro-bowl rt. de is also old and coming off a season-ending injury. they missed him bad last year, it wasn't just troy p. they were missin'

go bills!

I would add the following: if, after we have waited the prerequisite 2 seasons, and the Bills have a record no better than when DJ was coach, what should be our response?

Exuberance at the thought that we'll just have one more year of Chan before he's fired and we can finally have Whaley take over and really start to rebuild the team with a proven defenisive-minded coach.

The mental aspect of the game is so important. For a team to actually win, they must first BELIEVE they can win. I think Nix & Gailey are bringing that winning mentality and that winning culture BACK to Buffalo like what it was in the late '80s & early '90s.

Agreed and this is why I hope they continue to purge the less productive guys from the roster.

This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization. True, the fans are not out there throwing blocks and making tackles, but perhaps there is some truth to the notion that you get the product you EXPECT to get.

I believe in self fulfilling prophecies, but only to the extent that you have any kind of actual input/control into the situation. Believing something good will happen as you watch it on TV isn't going to create any kind of karma. I'm also pessimistic that BP and the idiots running our government are going to destroy the Gulf permanently, but I don't think that's keep them from plugging the leak.

Exuberance at the thought that we'll just have one more year of Chan before he's fired and we can finally have Whaley take over and really start to rebuild the team with a proven defenisive-minded coach.

How is Gailey being fired and Whaley taking over related?

Agreed and this is why I hope they continue to purge the less productive guys from the roster.

Purging less productive guys from the roster is a really good plan.

The problem with our front office is they have not replaced them with more productive players or playmakers- just more of the same to continue on the treadmill to nowhere.

still can't fathom that they fully intend to start camp with 2 injured guys as the best bet to start at LT. 

The mental aspect of the game is so important. For a team to actually win, they must first BELIEVE they can win. I think Nix & Gailey are bringing that winning mentality and that winning culture BACK to Buffalo like what it was in the late '80s & early '90s. This is one reason I find the pessimists so annoying. They literally help sustain the losing mentality of the organization. True, the fans are not out there throwing blocks and making tackles, but perhaps there is some truth to the notion that you get the product you EXPECT to get. Maybe it's time, as fans we expect more and really buy into the new staff and BELIEVE in them and their ability to take this team back to the playoffs. If nothing else, at LEAST lay off the negative remarks for two seasons and give this staff a frickin' chance. The new staff has a tough job. They must halt the losing culture that has permeated this organization for 10 seasons now. That's no small task. It'd be a little easier if the fan base could at least TRY to buy-in to what they are trying to do. There's some top-shelf talent in the personnel ranks now with Nix, Whaley, and other scouts. We can't judge this year's draft for a few years, but I like their approach so far -- going after top talent instead of reaching for need. The players are clearly buying into the coaching based upon remarks so far. If Scott was still around, perhaps HE'D be saying last year's Bills and this year's Bills are like "night and day".

"There are two types of coaches — those who hope to win and those who expect to win. And I’ve been around enough winning programs and enough winning organizations that when I walk on the field I expect to win. I don’t just hope to win, I expect to win." -- Chan Gailey

GO BILLS!

Don't kid yourself. We fans have virtually nothing to do with team performance.

The only way we do affect things is by the 12th man's screaming, and we have always done well with that.

Jonathan Scott has absolutely no skill whatsoever to play any O line position at the NFL level. His play in the game at Miami last season was some of the WORST O line play I have ever seen at any level. His technique and footwork are just atrocious. I am not an O line coach, but my son plays a wicked right guard for one of the best coached middle school teams you will ever see down here in Georgia. If he or any of his teammates played with such poor technique and fire, they would never see the field. (I find it mind blowing that any pro football team would look at this guy)

I tell my son with some of the garbage masquerading as NFL talent that is playing O line currently in the NFL, if you are big enough and can get thru college not getting severely injured, you will definitely get a shot at playing O line in the NFL. And Jonathan Scott is definitely at the top of any list of garbage O lineman in the NFL.

Scott wasn't good, but nowhere near as bad as Bell.

It isn't even ignorance.

And welcome back, and glad you're doing well.

Quit hitting below the belt, now I have to be nice! I'm doing fantastic...worked my ass off last week doing physical stuff. Held my own with dudes 1/2 my age doing stuff my job usually doesn't call for. I'm back mother!@#$ers! :beer:

I will be first in line to say mea maxima culpa if this team finds success this season. I just don't see it. I like what the administration is doing (over the long haul [without yet having played a game]), but you can't ignore the fact that if you have 3 QBs competing for the #1 job you don't have a #1. You can't ignore the fact that our O-line looks little improved (if at all) on paper. You can't ignore the fact that our WRs haven't 'done it on the field'. That's 3 BIG question marks on offense.

Defensively...who knows? New system, many new players.

What I like...Spiller will add an exciting dimension to the offense, renewed emphasis on training/conditioning & a sense that there is a plan in place to make this team competitive in the future.

Oh, God, please don't even pose this as a conditional. It gives me a headache.

Heard Scott on local radio (in Austin) the other day... he had nice things to say about Buffalo, but, said the difference between playing for the Steelers and the Bills was "night and day"... said everything in Pittsburgh was "first class", like his days playing with the Longhorns... there is a "winning mentality" in Pittsburgh. It wasn't so much what he said about Pittsburgh, as it was what he didn't say about the Bills...

I'm sure that's exactly what things were like under Jauron. Not any more.

PTR

Quit hitting below the belt, now I have to be nice! I'm doing fantastic...worked my ass off last week doing physical stuff. Held my own with dudes 1/2 my age doing stuff my job usually doesn't call for. I'm back mother!@#$ers! :devil:

And we're glad for it!

Here's a side note that I'm sure others can augment. Bored as I was on a hot July 5th, I did a little research on Mr. Gailey. You know, the coach we love to hate. News flash - as offensive coordinator for Miami in 2000 - 2001, his Dolphins went 3-1 against Belicheck the AntiChrist. (I also looked at his Cowboys tenure, but it doesn't seem that they played the Pats* in 1998-1999).

That's a pretty good track record, especially with what we've had around THESE parts against New England*. Is he going to be the second coming of Knute Rockne? Sober up. But 3-1? Thanks, I'll take that. I know the real old timers get all geeked up about the Miami rivalry. I hate Miami as much as the next person, but I want to see some success against the Pats*. I've fuggin' HAD it with that series. I want that curse lifted. I'll take a guy who's 3-1 any day of the week.

I'm sure that's exactly what things were like under Jauron. Not any more.

PTR

I have to say, as one not excited about the Gailey hiring, he is growing on me. I like the fact that he has a pulse...something that small could be the difference for some of the guys on this squad. I really don't believe the Bills talent level is that far below the rest of the league....they have lacked coaching for 4 years.

And we're glad for it!

Here's a side note that I'm sure others can augment. Bored as I was on a hot July 5th, I did a little research on Mr. Gailey. You know, the coach we love to hate. News flash - as offensive coordinator for Miami in 2000 - 2001, his Dolphins went 3-1 against Belicheck the AntiChrist. (I also looked at his Cowboys tenure, but it doesn't seem that they played the Pats* in 1998-1999).

That's a pretty good track record, especially with what we've had around THESE parts against New England*. Is he going to be the second coming of Knute Rockne? Sober up. But 3-1? Thanks, I'll take that. I know the real old timers get all geeked up about the Miami rivalry. I hate Miami as much as the next person, but I want to see some success against the Pats*. I've fuggin' HAD it with that series. I want that curse lifted. I'll take a guy who's 3-1 any day of the week.

Belichick wasn't with the Pats in 1998-1999. But the Dols went 11-5 in the division those 2 years. And while he was just the OC, with Dallas, his teams went 13-3 in the division.

Belichick wasn't with the Pats in 1998-1999. But the Dols went 11-5 in the division those 2 years. And while he was just the OC, with Dallas, his teams went 13-3 in the division.

I think we're on the same page. Apologies if not. Belicheck's strength - well, at least his tenure - has primarily been that of a defensive "guru". (Let's not even begin to talk about a certain Super Bowl.) My point is that Gailey, as OC of Miami, went head-to-head with the Defensively-minded AntiChrist for two seasons - one of which concluded with a Pats* Super Bowl victory, by the way - and took Satan three games out of four.

Gregg Williams' record against Satan?

Mike Mularkey's record against Satan?

Dick Jauron's record against Satan?

From this seat, things are looking better and better...

I think we're on the same page. Apologies if not. Belicheck's strength - well, at least his tenure - has primarily been that of a defensive "guru". (Let's not even begin to talk about a certain Super Bowl.) My point is that Gailey, as OC of Miami, went head-to-head with the Defensively-minded AntiChrist for two seasons - one of which concluded with a Pats* Super Bowl victory, by the way - and took Satan three games out of four.

Gregg Williams' record against Satan?

Mike Mularkey's record against Satan?

Dick Jauron's record against Satan?

From this seat, things are looking better and better...

No, we're totally on the same page. I just wanted to add something to what you were saying.