18 game season

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Tuesday or Wednesday games and have teams coming off a bye play them. That way all 32 teams get at least one national TV game. Have two byes per season. Start the season in mid August.

PTR

I think the idea is to get the Super Bowl, the championship game and on round of playoffs in Febuary . To max out during "SWEEPS"

Sorry to disagree, but moving to an 18 game schedule is the dumbest idea I've heard. Players are constantly playing hurt and two extra weeks of play just make the situation worse. This is a pure money play. If anything, we need to reduce the number of games by cutting 2 weeks of the preseason. The preseason is a farce.

From a union standpoint, you run the risk of shortening player careers by making them more prone to career ending injuries. The NFLPA should shoot this dog. I wonder if they have the good sense to do it.

Sorry to disagree, but moving to an 18 game schedule is the dumbest idea I've heard. Players are constantly playing hurt and two extra weeks of play just make the situation worse. This is a pure money play. If anything, we need to reduce the number of games by cutting 2 weeks of the preseason. The preseason is a farce.

From a union standpoint, you run the risk of shortening player careers by making them more prone to career ending injuries. The NFLPA should shoot this dog. I wonder if they have the good sense to do it.

The preseason is not a farce - it's a showcase to see how new players play, if they merit a roster spot.

You are spot on about injuries.

Add Tuesday or Wednesday games and have teams coming off a bye play them. That way all 32 teams get at least one national TV game. Have two byes per season. Start the season in mid August.

PTR

Have I said how much I hate the bye weeks? I think I have but in case I haven't... I really detest the bye weeks. They need to make all teams from the same division take the bye week at the same time. Then have them all play each other coming off the bye. Or better yet get rid of it all together! :devil:

Have I said how much I hate the bye weeks? I think I have but in case I haven't... I really detest the bye weeks. They need to make all teams from the same division take the bye week at the same time. Then have them all play each other coming off the bye. Or better yet get rid of it all together! :devil:

I don't mind the bye weeks. But I'm with ya about a division all having the same week. My guess is that stadium scheduling works against that, though. Dunno..

What's wrong with a 16 game season? Are you forgetting just how depleted rosters get by the playoffs? You could point to most playoff teams and they are missing 4-5 starters on each side of the ball let alone other depth and role players hurt. Add 2 more games to the regular season and that is only going to pile up the injuries more.

Also 18 game seasons mean shorter careers. Playing 8 years with a 18 game schedule is like playing 9 with a 16 game schedule. No way the players want this unless you pay them a lot more per year. I as a fan don't want this because I don't want to see the Super Bowl become a survival contest of who can survive a 21/22 game path to through the post season.

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. 16 games is fine why is there this need to make it 18 is beyond me.

The preseason is not a farce - it's a showcase to see how new players play, if they merit a roster spot.

You are spot on about injuries.

I agree as well. Injuries are already a huge part of the game, not to mention what these guys lives are like after the game ends for them, and to lengthen the season is a horrible idea...

It is purely for the Benjamins and will add nothing to the game, and the season.

I would shorten the preseason to three games as well, for all teams. It does give coaches a sample of what the new guys can do with live bullets flying. Three games is enough though, as the vets can get in some work and be ready for the regular season as well.

You could point to most playoff teams and they are missing 4-5 starters on each side of the ball let alone other depth and role players hurt.

I'm not weighing in on the topic, but name one team in the playoffs last year with 4-5 starters injured on each side of the ball when the playoffs rolled around.

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. 16 games is fine why is there this need to make it 18 is beyond me.

It is purely for the Benjamins and will add nothing to the game, and the season.

That's my problem with it. What are you gaining by adding 2 more games? Nothing, I say.

Increasing the chance for injuries, poor play when teams have the playoffs wrapped up with 4 or 5 weeks still to play, shorter player careers, dilution of the NFL product all around. IMO, 16 weeks is pushing it. But I guess the league has run the numbers and shown that they'll make a ton of money with 2 more regular season games. And, afterall, what's more important... making money or putting the best product on the field? Easy decision when you think about it.