Youngest Around the World Sailor

WWVaBeach

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we need to stop measuring 'youngest this' and 'youngest that'....these kids are way too young to be doing these death defying 'stunts'...that kid that just climbed everest...he had to go up the chinese side because the tibetian side does have an age limit....16 years old is too young to die at sea for a silly stunt.....

imho

Feared Lost at Sea :worthy:

Quite a challenge for such a young girl. Hope she's OK.

Hope she's ok.

Quite a challenge yes, but I have to question the wisdom of a child being alone in a boat hundreds of miles from help during the winter season. Lots of experience is one thing, but 16 is still 16.

Hope she's ok.

Quite a challenge yes, but I have to question the wisdom of a child being alone in a boat hundreds of miles from help during the winter season. Lots of experience is one thing, but 16 is still 16.

I agree, way too young to be trying something like this. If she is unfortunately lost I wouldn't mind her parents being charged with causing hear death.

I agree, way too young to be trying something like this. If she is unfortunately lost I wouldn't mind her parents being charged with causing hear death.

Agreed. Endangering the welfare of a child is a crime, never more so than in these "look at me" stunts that say more about the parent than anything else...

They found her alive....

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/17960/...maged+sailboat/

Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

Once she's on the rescue boat, let's have the parent discussion no?

i remember hearing about this last year as she as preparing. i think ESPN did an Outside the Lines episode on it, or something. Thought it was a bad idea then, still think it is. She didnt even make it to the roughest parts of the journey. It's an incredibly difficult trip for a small team of adults, a solo teenager stands little chance. She's lucky she ran into trouble so early and didnt make it to the hard parts.

Hope she's ok.

And that is my biggest problem with it. The winter season in the southern ocean? Really? With 60' rollers?

Her brother did it at 17 and the family is obviously experienced sailors. I actually have less of a problem with the parents permitting it than the time of the year.

She sucessfully rounded Cape Horn, so she obviously has the technical skill to make the trip.

Would it have been too difficult to have another ship shadowing her for the whole trip? If she had been successful, that wouldn't have interfered at all in the idea that she did it alone.

And that is my biggest problem with it. The winter season in the southern ocean? Really? With 60' rollers?

Her brother did it at 17 and the family is obviously experienced sailors. I actually have less of a problem with the parents permitting it than the time of the year.

She sucessfully rounded Cape Horn, so she obviously has the technical skill to make the trip.

oh, i was thinking about the route backwards. if she made it through there, i give her a ton of credit. still a stupid idea.

oh, i was thinking about the route backwards. if she made it through there, i give her a ton of credit. still a stupid idea.

not necessarily directed at you -- but what if on the flip side, the boat malfunctioned and it turns out her skills are what saved her, instead of assuming she wasnt ready for this type of experience.

None of us have any clue what her ability was, besides the fact that it was higher then any of us seem to be able to gauge... the people closest to her supported her, and whether or not they were wrong is yet to be seen.just because something happened didnt mean she wasnt ready.

not necessarily directed at you -- but what if on the flip side, the boat malfunctioned and it turns out her skills are what saved her, instead of assuming she wasnt ready for this type of experience.

None of us have any clue what her ability was, besides the fact that it was higher then any of us seem to be able to gauge... the people closest to her supported her, and whether or not they were wrong is yet to be seen.just because something happened didnt mean she wasnt ready.

im not trying to disparage her skills in any way. she's a more qualified sailor than i could ever be. still doesnt mean it's a good idea to send a 16 year old around the world in a boat on their own. unless everyone is fine with her dying. and based on the father's comments, it sounds like they were. to each their own, im fine with that. it's just strange to see parents being ok with sending their child to their death.

edit: i see that i must have read the father's comments in another source. they were basically "i dont see what the big deal is. most of the people condemning this are going to die sitting on their couch, watching TV". looking for exact quote now...