Youngest Around the World Sailor

WWVaBeach

Exactly. It was that training and experience (something everyone wants to assume she didn't have because she's just a wittle baby) that kept her alive when she encountered the storm and lost the mast.

And you're ass-uming she did have experience handing 30-foot waves? How come there's not one experienced deep water sailing expert saying this was a good idea.

The Queensland, Australia boat builder who constructed Wild Eyes told news.com.au:

“The way we built the boat means that it is unsinkable. We had stringent rules to test the positive buoyancy and we tested it again and again,” said Jon Sayer. “In Abby’s case she wasn’t physically or mentally strong enough to handle a 40-foot boat in those winter storm conditions.”

Sunderland’s parents have been criticized heavily for allowing and supporting her attempt, and the sailor herself has been attacked for the timing of her voyage.

“I don’t know what she’s doing in the southern Indian Ocean in the middle of the winter,” said round-the-world yachtsman Ian Kiernan. “We need adventurers but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed.”

Then again, you probably think kids who don't play Russian Roulette, even if they know how to handle a gun, are pussies...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you're ass-uming she did have experience handing 30-foot waves? How come there's not one experienced deep water sailing expert saying this was a good idea.

"The man who built Wild Eyes, Queensland boat-builder Jon Sayer, said that Abby was not up to the trip.

"She wasn't physically or mentally strong enough to handle a 40-foot boat in those winter storm conditions."

Round-the-world yachtsman Ian Kiernan also criticised Abby for failing to respect the sea.

"I don't know what she's doing in the southern Indian Ocean in the middle of the winter. We need adventurers but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed."

Then again, you probably think kids who don't play Russian Roulette, even if they know how to handle a gun, are pussies...

She obviously had enough experience, ability and mental toughness to stay alive and keep the boat from capsizing. But, you're right. She should just stay home and read about sailing on the internet.

No, I think that someone saying a kid is too young to handle a gun is being a kitty. See the difference. Just because you're 16 that doesn't mean you're incapable of doing anything and should be protected from all things that may cause you harm.

My point is that people are out of hand stating her parents shouldn't have let her take this journey; as though, her parents are negligent and recklessly endangering her life. Just because she's 16, that doesn't automatically make her too immature and mentally and physically unable to make this trip. That's a decision for her and her parents to judge, not you or I or some expert.

Just because you're 16 that doesn't mean you're incapable of doing anything and should be protected from all things that may cause you harm.

So actual honest to God experts, like the guy who built her boat, saying she's too young and not strong enough don't mean anything, huh?

Her previous experience entailed delivering yachts for rich guys up and down the coast of California. Not too many similarities to the Indian Ocean in winter, but hey, how hard could it be since she's a mature 16 year old...

So actual honest to God experts, like the guy who built her boat, saying she's too young and not strong enough don't mean anything, huh?

Her previous experience entailed delivering yachts for rich guys up and down the coast of California. Not too many similarities to the Indian Ocean in winter, but hey, how hard could it be since she's a mature 16 year old...

So experts know best how to raise your children?

So experts know best how to raise your children?

Experts (by which I mean people who've actually done it) know what's possible and what's foolhardy. A teen's maturity level or parental upbringing have nothing to do with it.

Just how old are you, BTW?

They at least had more aspirations than beating level 35 on the newest video game or buying new shoes.

This is a vapid and largely inaccurate overgeneralizaton of young people. Your parents' generation probably thought the same of your generation. I bet there hasn't been a single point in American history when adults weren't thinking "Oh God, what's becoming of our country...the youth are just terrible".

Experts (by which I mean people who've actually done it) know what's possible and what's foolhardy. A teen's maturity level or parental upbringing have nothing to do with it.

Just how old are you, BTW?

Old enough to be that young girl's father, although I'm no sure what that has to do with anything..

Don't get me started! :devil::blink:

What is the point of doing this nowadays with all the tech we have? Sure there is extreme risk... But the rescue "umbilical cord" is always there in the form of VHF-radios, EPIRB's, Sat phones, helicopters, jet planes, etc... etc...

IMO, it is still like going to the zoo, getting into the tiger cage to go hunting while people on the other side of the railing have your back! <_<

Where is the "true risk?"

It isn't like she is doing something like this:

Nansen's Fram Expedition

Where is the "true risk?"

It took 12-hours to find her (after being adrift for 3 days) and cost the Austrailian's $200,000 for the rescue. One of the rescuers fell into the water and could have drowned, but hey, she's a mature young girl, so tough luck for the guy's family. It's no different than 'daredevils' who attempt to go over Niagara Falls and then put firefighters at risk when they have to save their dumb asses.

Let's be clear here. This isn't the same as some 13-year old climbing Mt. Everest as part of a team. This was an ill-prepared 'look at me' stunt that had way too much chance for failure according to every experienced deep water sailing expert familiar with the south Indian Ocean in winter.

Stupid is stupid, regardless of maturity level or parental support....

Old enough to be that young girl's father, although I'm no sure what that has to do with anything..

It takes a certain level of experience to truly differentiate between calculated risk and insanity, as well the ability to recognize the peril this stunt (wrong time of year, wrong type of boat) could cause for more than the immediate family.

There's no point arguing this anymore. Just let me know when your kids are skydiving without a parachute near my house...

Agreed. Endangering the welfare of a child is a crime, never more so than in these "look at me" stunts that say more about the parent than anything else...

I'm not sure there should be any punishment for the parents. It would seem unbelievable that any parents would let a kid that age do this kind of thing. Personally, I think its insane for anyone of any experience to do this stuff just for ***** and giggles. I mean, if your pressured to do something risky because your desperate I can see it.

“I don’t know what she’s doing in the southern Indian Ocean in the middle of the winter,” said round-the-world yachtsman Ian Kiernan. “We need adventurers but adventurers who do foolhardy things and put their rescuers at risk, it should not be allowed.”[/i]

And that is the problem I have with the whole trip. Its not that she tried it (or that the parents let her) but that it is insane to do the southern ocean in winter.

Notice he criticizes the timing as foolhardy, not the doing.

not arguing it was a good idea, but im thinking the boat builder might have some reason to say that she is at fault when the boat broke..... im not sure what that reason could be though... just saying.

It took 12-hours to find her (after being adrift for 3 days) and cost the Austrailian's $200,000 for the rescue. One of the rescuers fell into the water and could have drowned, but hey, she's a mature young girl, so tough luck for the guy's family. It's no different than 'daredevils' who attempt to go over Niagara Falls and then put firefighters at risk when they have to save their dumb asses.

Let's be clear here. This isn't the same as some 13-year old climbing Mt. Everest as part of a team. This was an ill-prepared 'look at me' stunt that had way too much chance for failure according to every experienced deep water sailing expert familiar with the south Indian Ocean in winter.

Stupid is stupid, regardless of maturity level or parental support....

I totally agree... You are preaching to the choir!

Im all for people being adventurous and living life to it's fullest. But isn't part of that making decisions that give you the best chance at having a life to live?

I havent seen an answer to my questions on whether she has ever sailed around the world as part of a team.

IMO, there is a high number of ways she could have "seized the day" in a much more responsible way. If this was truly about "living life" and not a cheap grab at fame, then I have to think any smart parent would say "Ok, you do pretty well in the Ocean off the shore of California. Let's get you on a team that is making the round the world trip. After you do it with a crew once or twice, then you can go on your own."

If she has never been on this trip at all, this is the equivalent of my parents saying "You know what, I see you can ride that dirtbike around our property pretty well, I think next week you should jump 20 school buses!"

The point is, it's not a choice between "Crazy Stunt" and "Sitting inside playing video games".

Still interested to know if she's ever done this route with a crew....